Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wisp Review/Early feedback

ShikiRen

Just let them release her, you haven't even played her yet. 

And your suggestion for her 4, sounds better for her 3. Her 4 is good as it is. 

Either way, just let them release the poor warframe. Idk why everyone wants to change her before they've even been able to play her.

Imagine if someone told you that you shouldn't wear an outfit which they haven't seen yet, simply based on the colors that you said they had. How would you feel? Or if someone judged you only based on your first impression... Wouldn't that be rude?

Edited by Maka.Bones
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Methanoid said:

frames that try too hard to synergize with their own abilities are what annoy me the most, their too finicky and time consuming to use in the middle of bedlam, the best frames are the ones with simple abilities that dont require a major theory test on the wiki to figure out and use.

There is a difference between requiring other abilities to be used and synergy. Look at Saryn. All of her abilities work together sure, but getting the most out of her abilities requires careful theorycrafting. Many have this concern. To get the most out of titania, you have to slap particular buffs out of enemies from one ability while charging bonuses from another ability that constantly drains energy. With Khora it's hard to decide if I should even use chain enemies together before whipping them out of existence. The goal is to have abilities serve individual purposes, while working not necessarily to the exclusion of others. If your goal is to kill enemies and that's what your 1 does, you should use 1 when aiming to kill enemies. If you want to CC them, maybe that's your 3. It isn't necessarily bad to add bonus damage to targets affected by your CC, but you shouldn't need to CC your target before you do damage. Limbo has this problem in spades: he is basically required to have targets in his rift before he gains bonus damage/cc. However, this can be jarring to allies if they use guns. Even Limbo himself is excluded from this strategy. Ultimately it is more "balanced" and has "synergy" but it does so by excluding choices. Not something well received by players.   

• Like 1

Other than switching her 1 to only do one thing like drop damage AOEs or fire slow moving balls of light to make using her 3 less miserable, what about ... no to the other changes?

2 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

Other than switching her 1 to only do one thing like drop damage AOEs or fire slow moving balls of light to make using her 3 less miserable, what about ... no to the other changes?

I'd still prefer to just try her out first. She hasn't even been released yet. 

Plus i like the idea of her having something that's more than simply *does damage* and her buffs provide that utility. 

Edited by Maka.Bones

1) Totally

2) Maybe if you hold the button.  Otherwise firing and forgetting is more useful in many more situations.

3) It's perfectly fine for some abilities to be more specific to types of gameplay.     But one idea is that it can burst from around wisps on people as well.  Meaning if she has her 3 wisps orbiting her, that's 3 sources immediately around her.  Potentially.

Bonus:  My own suggestion...

PLEASE make her dodge roll / dash a teleport-phase effect,  similar to how Hildryn's roll was altered.  It's just out of place to see her roll on the ground all things considered.

2 hours ago, (NSW)DEADSHOT500 said:

Another idea would be having a will o the wisp flame that attracts enemies towards it like Titania’s lantern ability. This would allow the enemies to group together so Wisp can fire her Sol ability at the group of enemies rather than one enemy at a time.

Her 2 (decoy) would already do this. 

I love how people keep suggesting changes for wisp, without *really* knowing what her abilities are/do. 

Edited by Maka.Bones

2 minutes ago, Kingsmount said:

PLEASE make her dodge roll / dash a teleport-phase effect,  similar to how Hildryn's roll was altered.  It's just out of place to see her roll on the ground all things considered.

This. Yes. Everything else, no. 

I'd love to just get to actually play her for myself first. Idk why people can't simply do that. 

5 hours ago, Maka.Bones said:

So Will-o-WISPs are fire spirits?

She's a wisp. She might be a fire spirit. That's why she gets to open portals to the sun, and fire themed abilities lol

I think people don't understand wisp, simply because they don't understand forest spirits or know about Will-o-Wisps or things like that. 

She seems fun to me. Though I can see why/how some people might feel confused. 

It's more like a will-o-wisp is a haunting creepy supernatural phenomenon so we were all expecting something more straightforward ghostlike. That and her passive invis in the air makes her ghostlike. If you want a fire/sun based frame, might as well just name her Sol and set her on fire. Or Amaterasu as someone mentioned. I'd like another East Asian frame. Her visual and name design don't match her powers at all. Imo feels like they scrapped her original powers or something, or whatever they were thinking of when they first made the idea for the frame. Think about her default colors, deep purple and blue body, black lines, and a pale tan-ish scarf. None of that implies the Sun or fire, but rather dark and mysterious, maybe an energy based frame, or shadows, something like that.

Edited by TheUnwanted

21 minutes ago, TheUnwanted said:

It's more like a will-o-wisp is a haunting creepy supernatural phenomenon so we were all expecting something more straightforward ghostlike. That and her passive invis in the air makes her ghostlike. If you want a fire/sun based frame, might as well just name her Sol and set her on fire. Or Amaterasu as someone mentioned. I'd like another East Asian frame. Her visual and name design don't match her powers at all. Imo feels like they scrapped her original powers or something, or whatever they were thinking of when they first made the idea for the frame. Think about her default colors, deep purple and blue body, black lines, and a pale tan-ish  scarf. None of that

That's like.... Very stereotypical (and boring... Sorry :p) 

DE is known to NOT follow stereotypical trends/themes. Hence probably the reason why they're making her this way. 

You should look up some old folklore myths and stories. Eastern/Indian or even Irish folklore. Talk to wiccans or druids n shiz... Learn more about different types of spirits. 

"Elemental creatures" were originally "elemental spirits" (c'mon man, that's even common knowledge for anime, or final fantasy)

Again "ghosts" might be incorporeal but that doesn't mean everything else that's incorporeal is also "ghostlike" or ghost-related. 

Edited by Maka.Bones

6 minutes ago, CodeUltimate said:

If DE doesn't change her skills she will be worse than titania. :'c

Titania have her uses. For now Wisp only scream "MR FODDER" - and one annoying to level up once... The thing about Warframe is you shoot things in the face. You don't distract or "control" or lose time - this kind of mechanic goes against the very core of the mission design (and grindfest).

Like Haunt seems "such nice and cool and unique ability", but they are simple denying that Animal Instinct exists (now with a Primed version), and the best cure for "alerted enemies" is - again - hit them in the face (and that does not cost Energy, time or a frame build).

21 minutes ago, Kwikwilyaqa said:

Titania have her uses. For now Wisp only scream "MR FODDER" - and one annoying to level up once... The thing about Warframe is you shoot things in the face. You don't distract or "control" or lose time - this kind of mechanic goes against the very core of the mission design (and grindfest).

Like Haunt seems "such nice and cool and unique ability", but they are simple denying that Animal Instinct exists (now with a Primed version), and the best cure for "alerted enemies" is - again - hit them in the face (and that does not cost Energy, time or a frame build).

Haunt serves a few purposes, one is to supplement the rather weak unprimed Animal Instinct with "see enemies through walls" like the codex scanner/detect enemy sense danger. The damage buff allows it a place in non-stealth missions, and un alerting enemies is better done before killing them for up to 500% increased affinity. None of the abilities are contrary to the "run and gun" mobility style of warframe, it simply supplements it with functional tools that stealth kits have been missing for years. In fact it would be the only stealth frame to actually assist other stealth frames in their job, while not needlessly neutering themselves for the rest of content.   

Edited by F8ted
Referenced wrong mod

The more I think about Wisp the less appealing she becomes. 

TLDR: Forgetting about the thematic mismash and the staggering lack of detail given about her abilties in the devstream:

Based on what was shown

• Her 1 is going to take too long to set up and cost too much energy to be useful outside of specific missions.
  • Her 2 moves too slowly and does nothing operator void dash+blast wont do faster and it's intended functions directly contradict each other.
  • Her 3 is entirely designed along enemies reliably COMING TO YOU which only happens in the versions of defense, interception, mobile defense, and excavation with static objectives. That is. if it can even scale it's damage sufficiently in the first place. Her 3 is supposed to send elemental waves. There are 4 basic elements or 6 combo elements. Wisp only has 3 flavors of plant.
  • Her 4 is either going to be useless and cannot compete with guns or become a manual Danse Macabre.

Thoughts

No clear theme: What the hell is she? Ghost? Portal gun? Will-o-wisp? Botanist? Elementalist? Fire elemental? Sun elemental?

• Her visuals, passive, and 2 makes her appear to be ghost themed
  • Her 1 puts down some sort of plant.
  • Her 3 makes the plants emit some type of damaging elemental blast based on the type of said plant. Except warframe has 4 basic elements or 6 combo elements and she only has 3 types of plant. We werent told exactly what the elements were so I cant comment further other than we're going to be missing stuff.
  • Her 4, the only portal of any sort she appears to be able to make, is fire/sun themed.

No clear role: what does she do? Is she a squishy caster? Support? Stealth frame? Tank? Immobile? Mobile?

• Her 1 and 3 seem built to lock her and her team down in one spot except she does not provide any static defensive or wide ranging CC utility needed for such missions at all.
  • Her green buff, blue buff, and 2 seems to encourage very mobile and aggressive dive type play with a electric proc + radial blind-invulnerability on teleport. Except she's visually about as tanky as paper.
  • Her 4 feels like she's supposed to be a single target DPS frame. Except outside of bosses with invulnerability or massive damage reduction or broken amounts of armor players have no problems burning down single targets with our single target guns.

Nothing new to the table

• Of all the variables the devs have to play with we get: Another speed buff. Another pure heal over time (HOT). Another small electric AOE CC. Another blind. Another displacement ability. ANOTHER elemental frame using the same 4 elements we've seen over and over and over again. What happened to stats like evasion? Void element? Parkour distance/duration/CC resist/life/energy steal etc?

1. Reservoir (First Ability):

• Setting up her 1 is going to take too long: from what I can see from the devstream this ability is a root + 2handed cast. So unless the Wisp player can magically predict when a fight is going to happen AND convince her squad to come over and get buffs you've just made a what looks like a squishy frame root herself in the middle of a fight, unable to do anything but the casting animation a minimum of three times. Fantastic. Oh and remember that unless she's in one place for the entire mission when the buffs expire or a new fight starts she has to do the entire casting cycle and spend all that energy again.
  • Getting the most out of her 1 is going to take too long: For Wisp alone to make the most out of her 1 the player has to spend energy on at least 3 separate casts of her 1 then spend the time to pick up each separate buff. Try this at the beginning of a capture mission and the rest of the squad will be halfway done with the mission by the time you've buffed up. Accounting for squad mates if you want to buff each person everyone has to line up next to a plant, grab the buffs one at a time with a ~1s respawn timer on each pod. Repeat for each buff and repeat every time the timer runs out. 
  • Plant is going to be too hard to see, Taking the buff is going to be too inconvenient for the squad especially in a fight: From the perspective of a squadmate, there is nothing about that little plant that is going to make it obvious to see in a fight much less see what it does. In the midst of all the projectiles and explosions and particle effect showers you're going to make me look for a beige waist high plant then make me look for that tiny little sprout at the top to see what it does and/or if I already have the buff, then you're going to make me haul my ass over to it and have to walk straight over it to get the buff and pray that the Wisp that cast it is using a strength build of some sort so the buff is even noticeable in the first place? Get real. Not even remotely worth my time.
  • Her 1 and 3 are a dependency: Her 1 solely exists to generate buffs. Aside from that, it does absolutely nothing. Her 3 does NOTHING with out her 1. Furthermore the coverage of her 3 is directly dependent on how well wisp spreads her plants which as we said earlier is a root + 2H animation.
  • Can I pick up multiple colors? How many can I pick up? This is a very important question that went unanswered. Does picking up 2 of the same buff mean I get double the effects? Double the duration? Both? Can I pick up all the buffs I want or will I be limited to some arbitrary number? There is a big difference between being limited to 1 of each color and being able to potentially pick up Y of the same color to get Y  times the effect and Y times the duration.
  • How long do the Plants last? Do they have HP? Will nullifiers erase them? The last thing I want is a timed buff on top of a timed plant that can either get instantly destroyed by random enemy explosives or instantly killed by a nullifier walking over it. It didnt look like there was a timer on the plant but this is from the Devs that gave us Volt's Riot shield mode with costs on top of costs on top of costs and rivens which is a septuple+ layer of RNG.
  • Is there a range limit from Wisp? Do the things magically evaporate after Wisp moves far away enough?

2. Wisp Light (Second Ability):

• Tries to be a defensive AND movement AND aggressive ability but does nothing well. Also Void dash+blast even from an operator without focus is better in every way.
  • Moves too slow for a movement ability, moves too slow to be an escape ability: as a movement ability it moves too slow. Void dash is faster. Even the green buffs seems to give better movement speed. Furthermore if I want to escape I want to stop taking damage IMMEDIATELY. Not wait as the ability, which by the way also gets the attention of every enemy it passes by, slowly wanders off before I teleport to it while continuing to take damage the whole time.
  • Moves too fast for an aggro drawing ability: as an aggro drawing ability its effect is too brief and it travels too far. Let's say I manage to get the ability to last 10s. I shoot it down a hallway. Unless it makes enemies run after it AND it has a gigantic range the light is going to be in and out of range in less than a few seconds.
  • Half of the ability relies on a player willing to play Wisp aggressively: the blind and invulnerability are only useful if a Wisp is willing to throw herself at enemies. Yes. Lets make a squishy looking frame with no armor buff or damage reduction charge into enemies to make the most of their movement ability. Then what? Waste the invulnerability time and blind being animation locked into spamming 1 so I can animation lock myself casting my 3? Shoot enemies from point blank with my long ranged gun? Melee enemies and animation lock myself into the massive DPS loss that are forced finishers? (because that's what happens whenever a player tries to melee blinded enemies). Activate my 4 and shoot my long ranged death beam from close range?
  • Either base invincibility is so short it's not useful or you get a meme build. That's going to happen with this ability if the invulnerability is of a useful duration. Max duration, max efficiency + zenurik + energy pads + double energize + maybe a trinity friendo. I'm going to do nothing every fight but double tap my 2 every time the invincibility duration wears off. Such fun.
  • Is this a 2 handed cast? What's the attract range? What's the blind range? Is the blind LOS dependent? Can it be cast in air?

3. Harness (Third Ability)

• Totally, completely dependent on wisp spamming her  1 in different locations. Her 1 which by the way roots Wisp and effectively removes her from a fight multiple times. Does NOTHING unless a player runs over it meaning now the squad is going to have to have an even harder time getting the buffs because they're spread. Wisp is going to have to drop her 1 multiple times Every. Single. Fight. Oh and that's not even considering we have no idea if her plants are duration based, HP based, resistant to nullifiers, etc.
  • The ability appears to be a 2 handed root. So on top of having to spam 1 which seems to be a 2 handed root wisp players also have to spam 3 which also appears to be a 2 handed root. Is Wisp even going to have time to move or do anything other than be stuck in one spot spamming her 1 and 3? That's some real S#&$ty gameplay if you ask me.
  • Damage Is going to be completely broken or completely useless. If this ability does enough damage to be useful in even sortie 1 its going to be the new Interception/defense speed clear for normal missions. Drop a plant in every spawn point or choke and mash 3 to instantly clear waves. There is no way to avoid this. Even if you make the damage so poor it only works in sub 20 that's still good enough to speed clear lith rifts while the rest of your squad dies of boredom and leaves at the first opportunity.
  • What elements are represented? 4 base elements, 6 combo elements, 3 colors of plant. Something(s) is missing here.
  • Status chance? 100% status chance? There might be hope for this ability if it guarantees a type of damage proc and it has a big enough base range.

4. Sol (Fourth Ability)

• thematically makes no sense whatsoever. Ghosts dont deal good with sun. Will-o-wisps are fire elementals,not sun. Sun/fire is only one element. We have 4 basic ones in warframe. This is the only time portals of any sort are mentioned in regards to Wisp. If she can open a portal to the sun from anywhere in the Origin system she can also open a portal at the bottom of Uranus, or within a Gas storm in Jupiter or wherever huge amounts of a specific element reside and shoot giant beams of that. But she cant. Only Sun. Wut?
  • Damage Is going to be completely broken or pretty useless at high levels. A single target dps ability is going to be competing with GUNS and MELEE. You're telling me you're going to allow an ability that expends only energy, which any player with high level gear (or a trinity friendo) can easily regenerate, to do enough damage to make me want to use it in all missions. The thing will kill faster than a rivened Status shotgun, or viral/bleed spitter, or CO melee, or a meming strike build against sortie 3 Heavy Grineer? Ok. Did I mention that this ability seems to have no mobility lock whatsoever? I can run around and turn around like normal when I'm using it? Cool. I'm going to take this to any lower level mission and every single fight I'm going to turn this on and spin to win. Oh. Wait. Didn't we NOT want that to happen? Fix your S#&$ty player/enemy scaling already.
  • Oh. You're going to mobility lock the ability now? So the squishy frame with no way improve its survivability and no reliable CC is also no longer going to be unable to dodge incoming enemy damage. Ouch.
  • And keep in mind Wisp isnt the only dps-buffer type Warframe available. In a game where moving and killing fast is what is rewarded the most by a wide margin, she's competing and will be compared with the likes of Chroma, Mesa, Octavia, Excalibur, Hildryn, etc. If we're talking static defense she needs to hold up to the likes of Frost, Limbo, Oberon, Gara, etc. If she doesnt hold up she's going straight to the back of the closet to collect dust.

Ability spammer with 2 handed abilities and no self energy regeneration

• This is another issue I foresee happening.
  • She's going to have to spam her 1, 2, and 3. Let's forget about her 2 for now. To buff herself with all her buffs is already 3 casts. That's a good amount of mandatory spam. It looks like 3+ is going to be required for decent coverage with her 3. Now let's throw in use of her 2 to initiate fights. Warframe is constant action with fights all the time. That's a lot of 2's. Now let's assume wisp ISNT on a static objective mission. She's going to have to ability spam all over the place.
  • Unless DE goes completely against convention and makes all her abilities (except Sol) cost sub 25 energy Wisp is going to be shoehorned into high efficiency builds until a player can stack zenurik + energizes. Except high efficiency means no duration. And the buffs from her 1 and travel distance of her 2 (and I'm assuming the blind/invincibility) are based on duration. So unless her base values for her 1 and 2 are enormous she's just effectively lost half her kit and made her 4 cost a lot.

Suggestions For Wisp as is: Since I don't really ever recall any warframe getting sweeping changes to its kit once it's been shown on a devstream these are (hopefully small) changes I would make to make her kit more reasonable:

1. Reservoir:

• Casting is one handed and NO root. If only one change can be made, make it this.
  • Buff Pods will automatically latch onto any ally within 30m up to the limit.
  • Air casting is allowed (but the plant will drop to the ground)
  • Blue buff is ok. Would really like to see it be able to randomly proc some of the other CC procs like cold, heat, etc as well. Not just electric.
  • Green buff is ok. Would really like to see it also buff parkour stats.
  • Red Buff is ok. Would really like to see it also constantly regen shields (~60/s) and energy (~1-2/s).

2. Wisp Light: 

• Change the blind to an AOE knockdown + cold proc If only one change can be made, make it this so I dont tear my hair out as I watch a 4 second animation trigger on an enemy I can kill in one hit.
  • Pressing 3 shoots the ability. Pressing 3 again detonates the ability but does NOT teleport Wisp or give the invulnerability. HOLDING 3 teleports Wisp, and instead of unmodifiable invincibility gives 80% damage reduction (same as shatter shield) that decays to 40% over 30 seconds.
  • Light moves 1.5-2.5x faster.
  • Allow midair casting. 

3. Harness

• Casting is one handed and NO root. If only one change can be made, make it this.
  • Wave is 100% guaranteed to proc 1 status. For every 100% power strength afterwards, can proc another status.
    • Red plant: can proc Fire, Radiation, Blast, Impact
    • Green plant: can proc Tox, Gas, Corrosive, Puncture
    • Blue plant: can proc Cold, Electric, or Magnetic, Slash
  • Viral is purposely left out. AOE viral is Saryn's thing.
  • I dont expect the damage to scale or even be useful after a certain enemy level but status procs are useful at any level.

4. Sol

• I dont even want to put this in here since I cant think of a small change for it that would keep it viable at all levels without being completely busted.
  • Ability expends reservoirs to cast. Each reservoir placed allows 0.5s channeling (blank circle on the reservoir UI wheel). Each reservoir with a pod (white circle) allows 1s channeling time. Channeling time is unmodifiable. So assuming Wisp is a good girl and everyone in range of her Reservoirs is fully buffed she gets 6s of channeling.
  • While channeling wisp is invulnerable
  • Wisp is rooted and animation locked
  • Wisp can only move her crosshairs at 20 degrees/second
  • Cooldown for 5x however long the ability was channeled.
  • 500m range
  • Infinite punch through
  • 10m diameter
  • CRIV4nA.jpg
  • 2500+10% total hp / 5000+10% total hp /  10000 + 10% total hp finisher damage every 0.5s.

Im out of time for coming up with ideas for a deeper rework so I'm going to skip that.

That's all I got. Thanks for reading!

Edit: Well I guess the mods are shunting all the wisp posts from Warframe Feedback into this subsection of General Discussion.

Edited by ADirtyMonk
  • Like 4

Just now, o0Despair0o said:

I wrote an entire poem about how you people need to keep quiet for 10 friggin minutes and let DE do their job and complain after, but I decided to just put my thought into a single sentence instead:

This is why we can't have nice things.

and what is the nice thing you are referring to? lol

6 minutes ago, o0Despair0o said:

I wrote an entire poem about how you people need to keep quiet for 10 friggin minutes and let DE do their job and complain after, but I decided to just put my thought into a single sentence instead:

This is why we can't have nice things.

Don't get my thread locked please. I have done nothing but constructive criticism, a requirement of forum posting you seem to have eschewed. 

• Like 1

I must say I really adore Wisp's design, how she looks at least. But the theme seems completely off. Ghost that puts plants and shoots solar beams? The first thing that comes to my mind when I'm thinking "ghost" in the terms of game like Warframe would be a swift character that easily flows through the battlefield, creating illusions to scare her enemies so they'd be easy prey for said character.
Also the 1-3 combo seems awful. Basically 3rd ability would be useless as long as the player wouldn't spam the 1st ability first? I mean synergy between abilities is fine as long as they don't helplessly rely on one another.

Edited by Soldier1312
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Soldier1312 said:

I must say I really adore Wisp's design, how she looks at least. But the theme seems completely off. Ghost that puts plants and shoots solar beams? The first thing that comes to my mind when I'm thinking "ghost" in the terms of game like Warframe would be a swift character that easily flows through the battlefield, creating illusions to scare her enemies so they'd be easy prey for said character.
Also the 1-3 combo seems awful. Basically 3rd ability would be useless as long as the player wouldn't spam the 1st ability first? I mean synergy between abilities is fine as long as they don't helplessly relay on one another.

I have pretty much no complaints with DE's art team. Their work is always spectacular.

At this point I wish the dev team would stop trying to equate their designs with tangible real world things we are familiar with and and say "we're just going to mash together whatever the hell we want because it's cool and the warframe can do it because space magic". It would definitely clear up a lot of the confusion.

Yeah. The "devs dont play their own game" syndrome is really showing and it's really annoying every time it pops up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maka.Bones said:

Her 2 (decoy) would already do this. 

I love how people keep suggesting changes for wisp, without *really* knowing what her abilities are/do. 

No it wouldn't. It lasts for three seconds. That is not enough time to be a very helpful agro ability. Also, I want something that will draw enemies in, not just something that changes where the enemies are shooting.

I do believe only her 2 is thematically suited for a wisp. 

Maybe a lesser prowl mixed with decoy, blazing Chakram and radial blind. 

But that's the one ability I liked (will clearly need some getting used to and may not be to everyone's playstyle taste) 

Her 1 is... What exactly? A buff deployer? It's OK? I guess? Don't see it being used by squad members outside static objective missions though. 

Her 3 needs you to have 1 already deployed! It is not boosting or synergizing it's completely dependent, I don't see the point of it at all. Why not just have the 1 give out regular damage pulses as part of base ability? Her 3 could be an actual possession of an enemy instead. 

Her 4. WTF! it sure looks pretty but, WTF! Since when are ghosts able to or expected to shoot freaking lasers? Wtf!? A portal to the sun? How's about a portal to the bottom of the sea to throw sharks at the enemy (yes there aren't that many sharks at the bottom, assume it's not a very deep sea) ! 

although I do not agree with all the suggestions that the OP gave I do like the direction he is suggesting. 

The funny thing about it is that they talk about her being a portal themed warframe and she can summon stuff from her 'wispy' dimention yet ... the portal theme is seen on her 4th and the only thing she seems to summon is the reservoir things. The good thing they showed us a Wip so things might change.