Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wisp Review/Early feedback

ShikiRen

Man this is beautifully done , was gonna start a similar thread but this is pretty much what i was gonna say.

I do love the art , but the thematic consistency has been whack for most new frames , i think Octavia was the last frame with a proper theme and kit that made sense (maybe baruuk but a little anti synergistic).

Feels more like "heres these 2 dozen abilities that are present , pick the 4 you want for this frame, no one will care if it doesnt make sense if it looks pretty"

il y a 7 minutes, 0_The_F00l a dit :

Man this is beautifully done , was gonna start a similar thread but this is pretty much what i was gonna say.

I do love the art , but the thematic consistency has been whack for most new frames , i think Octavia was the last frame with a proper theme and kit that made sense (maybe baruuk but a little anti synergistic).

Feels more like "heres these 2 dozen abilities that are present , pick the 4 you want for this frame, no one will care if it doesnt make sense if it looks pretty"

Well tbh after Harrow & Gara all frame we got had PH ability, khora was supposed to be a spider frame on dmg type,Garuda a blood queen, actually she is more the slow mode queen (she even lost her bloody finisher on her 1 for no reason) ,revenant a vampire frame...

Edited by Hex-Maniac

Il y a 2 heures, Zer0Storm a dit :

Well Hello There. Fellow Tenno

Devstream show us some interesting stuff. One of them is Wisp. She looks awesome, but her gameplay... not so much.
Maybe it's my opinion, but her abilities needs more work. To help this i make some animated gameplay thoughts 
This post inspired by IdBeCoolif section from CarBot Animation, who did really funny videos about blizzard games

I'm not good at this right now, but i accept critique, and sorry for my bad English

6cUVJsK.png

Ability №1

Her "flowers" seems useless, because of the tempo. Titania have the same problem, nobody likes to take dispensable buff on the ground, everyone likes to go everywhere they want. 
So if you wanna go you gotta go, this ability helps you be everywhere you want. It's almost like Nova's "3", but with flexibility

Révéler le contenu masqué

Q3fks2o.gif

Ability №2

Surprisingly it fits well on her kit. But it need more fun things... maybe go trough the portal? This is hard to make, but i think this is gonna be good

laxHy9e.gif

Ability №3

This thing have sinergy with 1st. Absolutely unoriginal, this is almost like Banshee sonic wave (nerfed btw). I making sinergy too, and this is funny because of the things you can do with this.
This move can do damage and good for augmenting, because you can put armor and shield reduction.
There is example

07j74hp.gif

Ability №4 

Everyone tired of "press to win" buttons, but to be fair i can't do much about her ultimate. So i just show some sinergy
It should work almost like Nidus 1st when you can see where you aim. To solve the problem of "I dunno where is my portal, what am i even shoot" you can try make some kind of mirror on the portal, also it can help understand where will you be when go trough the portal.

9WP1nKw.png

This changes will not be seen by DE or some creative teams, so i desided making this for fun to share with everyone. 

Show me your ideas and make warframes great again

P.S: I actually post this in the Feedback section, but my post being delivered in the another realm so i decided to make this in fan zone

the problem with your design, even if i like it, its 1 & 2 are too much similar, but i like the combo with the 4 and portal its really feet the theme and give another dimension (lol) of gameplay i think with your design a buff should be applied when using a portal, like stealth,health regen, ect taking base on range beetween each portal for the buff 

Edited by Hex-Maniac

2 hours ago, Maka.Bones said:

Wisp aren't ghosts... 

Also ffs western media has definitely diluted people's idea of "spirits"

Are we really arguing folklore? also wisp is just some small thing , you want to talk about "Will-o--the-wisp" if you say spirits.

In any and all mythology/folklore that can be considered to resemble them ,they are represented as hazy light apparitions usually found near marshy areas with a tendency to confuse or lead people astray.

And nah, wisp's aren't the sun incarnate.... That's why she *opens a portal* to the sun. 

You know the sun... One of nature's greatest forces, and sources of energy & life for our planet... Solar flares could wipe out our entire planet.... A coronal mass ejection would be able to literally erase the planet from orbit.

Not sure if you are agreeing that the theme is not consistent or something else, no one hates the sun , we are aware of its life giving properties but again is not directly something a spirit (unless its a sun spirit ) or wisp or will-o-the-wisp is associated with , if she created an area of marsh "gas" that then ignited after a few seconds it would make more sense if she was will-o-the-wisp based.

Face it dude, she just doesn't meet your idea of a "ghostly theme" or anyone's idea of a ghostly theme... But they never said that she was supposed to be based on ghosts lol. Ghosts =/= spirits in every culture. Spirits are a culmination of energy, with their own will. While ghosts are just people who died, and have been unable to "move on". 

It's like if someone called humans monkeys, or dogs, simply because we're mammals and have skin.

thanks for the classification , i guess you are more ticked off that its called a ghost rather than the main point of the topic of her being inconsistent?

Just leave her how she is, and stop trying to change new things, to look like something you already know. 

At least wait until you've had the opportunity to play her first lol

This is feedback section right? everyone is entitled to give their suggestions , many of the concept ideas changed because of community feedback. chances of changes after an ability is already live in game is very very low , better to put forward our doubts and criticism now.

Edited by 0_The_F00l
typo corrections

1 hour ago, OmegaZero said:

If you want DE to consider or even see this, post it in Feedback, not General Discussion. 

I had considered it, but a mod had recently consolidated basically all Wisp threads into a thread on general discussion. True it would have been more appropriate in feedback, but visibility was my concern. DE in general reads through the activity log, independent of forum tags, as I generally do. As long as there is traffic, they will notice. I'm afraid my thread may go the way of the rest, which would land it in another thread here. 

And there it goes, in the other thread, still in General Discussion 😞

Edited by F8ted
You moved my thread

1 hour ago, mrrobotto67 said:

The funny thing about it is that they talk about her being a portal themed warframe and she can summon stuff from her 'wispy' dimention yet ... the portal theme is seen on her 4th and the only thing she seems to summon is the reservoir things. The good thing they showed us a Wip so things might change.

I found it odd that nothing at all screams portal, not even the portal to the sun. I was already worried that we have a few extra dimensions already, and this wisp dimension would have to be different enough from current ones to justify a unique existence. The devs proposed version is less a portal themed warframe than Nova is, who by no means is defined as a portal warframe. I tried to add a new way of teleporting: beyond LoS. No other frames can pull it off. It's not vastly different/better than teleport/switch teleport but does what those cannot. Ever wondered why there was a lone guard inside spy vaults? Now you know, so they can be possessed by wisp.

Wisp has great art and themeing but her kit seems a bit confused. As she makes immobile fixtures, she seems like the perfect fit for a turret-based playstyle. Yes, I'm shoving in Plants Vs Zombies into Warframe. As this is a mobile and fast-paced game, I'll also consider solutions for such situations as well. This isn't an overhaul as the abilities remain mostly the same but with new additions to them instead.

1st Ability - Like it is now, this ability will be for placing the reservoirs but the animation should be something quick like Vauban's Teslas but instead of grenades, she'll throw out a seed of light. When her 3 is on (it'll be a buff ability so people can't AFK) these reservoirs will attack nearby enemies.

Each of the three reservoir types will have a different attack: single-target rapid-fire shots, area-effect explosive grenades or a close-range slowing damage-over-time field. In addition to this, when the reservoir is first placed, it'll gain a temporary attack buff to make it useful when Wisp is moving quickly through a mission. The attack buffs respectively would be increased fire rate, multishot grenades or pulling enemies.

Reservoirs will still give buffs to players, allowing Wisp to fill multiple roles. (and this ability would be useless at lvl 0-6 otherwise)

2nd Ability - The decoy/teleport hybrid. This remains unchanged as it's a good ability and will be where much of Wisp's defense/CC will come from. Maybe this could even increase reservoir damage dealt to CC'd enemies.

3rd Ability - This will be an upkeep buff that allows the reservoirs to attack. You have to refresh this every now again so people can't AFK. However, there will be an active component to this ability. When recast, the temporary reservoir attack buff will reactivate, increasing fire-rate for single-target reservoirs, shooting multiple grenades from area-effect reservoirs or pulling in enemies into the close-range reservoir.

Essentially during gameplay, this ability will always be on and the player will either use her 1 when moving about, or spam her 3 when defending a location.

4th Ability - This ability will be used to focus fire the reservoirs. Sol remains the same as before, having Wisp fire a firey laser but in addition to that, all the reservoirs regardless of type will also fire a laser in the same direction as you. This does overlap with the rapid-fire reservoir but the 4th ability is more powerful but less safe as Wisp is unable to use her 2 or jump which is where most of her defense comes from.

Hopefully these suggestions help with her eventual release. Critiques and suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by Liacu

This. Yes. Everything else, no. 

I'd love to just get to actually play her for myself first. Idk why people can't simply do that. 

Because once something is released it will rarely deviate from that, at least in a significant way.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (PS4)Pauloluisx said:

A rework even before a launch... Just wow.

How about we accept not every frame is meant for everyone? Accept difference? Instead of bending everything to our personal tastes?

I like Wisp and I also say: "Let her be"

Different =\= good.

DE could release a frame who’s abilities do nothing but damage itself and nerf it’s damage output, and that would be different, but it also wouldn’t be good.

There are some pretty major contradictions going on with Wisp right now with them saying her abilities involve portals and her own unique dimension only to have 3/4 of her abilities have nothing to do with portals. I think we all have a right to be displeased with Wisp.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maka.Bones said:

Wisp aren't ghosts... 

Also ffs western media has definitely diluted people's idea of "spirits"

And nah, wisp's aren't the sun incarnate.... That's why she *opens a portal* to the sun. 

You know the sun... One of nature's greatest forces, and sources of energy & life for our planet... Solar flares could wipe out our entire planet.... A coronal mass ejection would be able to literally erase the planet from orbit. 

Face it dude, she just doesn't meet your idea of a "ghostly theme" or anyone's idea of a ghostly theme... But they never said that she was supposed to be based on ghosts lol. Ghosts =/= spirits in every culture. Spirits are a culmination of energy, with their own will. While ghosts are just people who died, and have been unable to "move on". 

It's like if someone called humans monkeys, or dogs, simply because we're mammals and have skin. 

Just leave her how she is, and stop trying to change new things, to look like something you already know. 

At least wait until you've had the opportunity to play her first lol

Look dude. They never said she was a "sun" frame. At best they said she was a "portal" frame with abilities based off her now absent "Wisp Dimension". Ghosts would be better than the "NO THEME" now. I do not need a half-tried explanation of inspiration. If she was to be a "Sun" frame with the nature's greatest forces at her command, why in the world care about what is presented in the rest of the kit. As it currently stands, whatever it is based upon she will have this solar flare ability, and will be invisible while airborne. No one will care about her totems, her decoy would be the worst in the game, the AoE from her 3 may compete with the damage of her 4, but not simplicity of use, her 4 if it actually deals damage will be far and beyond the best nuke skill in the game. I will not mind sitting in Sanctuary Onslaught putting Saryn to shame but is that all they are going to make out of this new frame? I had similar hopes/concerns before Khora was released, which required fixes for weeks to be seen as at all "useful". I've watched so many warframes get released that I wish they got closer to what they end up remaking it as years later. If Wisp enters the game with abilities as described, she will meet the same fate. 

First off, I have no idea if I am posting this in the right area, so sorry if it is wrong.

Anyways... I have a suggestion about wisp's third ability (as is mentioned in the title). So DE is all about choices. Right? Right. Well, Wisp's third ability sorta lacks choice. DE will essentially cut off choice IF they decide to make her third ability only work with her first ability.

So I have a suggestion. Allow her third ability to emit from her AND the pillars (first ability). As such, this would allow us to have the choice of using energy for our first and our third or just using our third ability to do a detonation around you. This allows for the maximum amount of choice. 

Another suggestion that I also thought of: to allow the third ability to be a no energy cost if you have your one down, but no blast from you. This would be replaced with an energy cost if you do not have your first ability placed and the wave would be emitted from you.

Thank you for reading this.

Just now, ----AncientHunter---- said:

excellent Idea,, i prefer the second choice no energy cost ,, since in higher tier enemys u will lose the energy if there Leechers

It would be a great addition to damage and as such, survivability.

Copied from reddit

I think her 4 should open a portal to one of many different effects. Blackhole? Suck ya right in, ocean portal? Fountain of water spews out with the chance of fishes dropping. Sun portal? Yep already there. Blizzard portal? Freezing aoe in a cone in front of her.

As it is I don't mind other frames having fire abilities, I just think she should be more portal orientated if that's her thing. 

Il y a 14 heures, Maka.Bones a dit :

You. can. pick. up. her. buffs.

You. Can. Place. Multiple. Buffs. In. Many. Different. Places....

She.can.teleport....

How T.F. is she static?

Thanks for being real/raw tho, and simply saying your thoughts (while also being constructive about it). Much appreciated

-You can pick up her buffs : not when in every mission you start and run straight up to objective, works in defense/interceptions though.

-you can place buffs in different places : then again , vauban can place his traps in different places too.... who cares where you place them if every single mission in this game does not require you to be tactical ... 

-She can teleport : my void dash is faster than that teleport, maybe even bullet jumping is faster ( her 2 has a cast time too... )

Side Note : after showing off all her abilities, did Rebecca use them ? She showed off her 4 then went back to melee/gun and she showed off her 2 once to teleport behind a easy wall run...

Thanks for giving your opinion though, and simply saying your thoughts (while also being constructive about it) Much appreciated 🙂

Turn her little reservoirs into portals that Wisp and teammates can use, suddenly you can reposition and get buffs at the same time. Her theme as a portal maker makes more sense.

Let her use her 3rd to create an AoE explosion around herself too.

Let her cast 2 and 3 during her 4, and also can teleport through her 1 portals as she aims the sunbeam around.

High mobility, evasive, damage dealing caster with zone control and excels at team repositioning with a bit of buffs on the side.

• Like 1

I think her abilities are ok. Just that she was shown too early and the aesthetics of the abilities make them seem to not fit. Once you give a proper aesthetic facelift with proper naming, it will work.

Skill 1 - current one looks like a dispenser designed by New Loka, all pristine looking. Should be changed to ectoplasmic orbs of different colors (like the orbs in ghost photographs), each orb representing different buffs. A big orb to represent the reservoir, and when allies pick up a buff from them, they dispatch a small orb to follow the ally around to visually show the buff is applied and following them.

Skill 2 - Turn the default energy color to black or white and it would look more ghostly than the fire appearance it currently has. As it passes by enemies, it can perhaps have a shrieking noise.

Skill 3 - Turns the ectoplasmic orbs of the first ability into angry, loud, shrieking poltergeist-like haunting zones, dealing damage in that area.

Skill 4 - Instead of siphoning power from the sun, just rename it to siphoning power of the dead (of which, there is a LOT of, given the number of kills we Tenno have collectively amassed over 6 years) and the energy color can be white or sickly green or something stereotypically ghost-like. Maybe name it Spirit Siphon.

But perhaps to add more synergy between abilities, Spirit Siphon can interact with  1,2,3. Every kill made by Spirit Siphon grants Wisp 1 stack of "spirit". Spirit stacks in turn strengthen 1,2,3. Perhaps every 10 stacks of spirits grants some increase in duration to 1. Every 10 stack of spirits grants some increase in attraction radius of 2. And every 10 stacks of spirits grants some increase in damage of 3.

Edited by Xepthrichros

2 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Different =\= good.

DE could release a frame who’s abilities do nothing but damage itself and nerf it’s damage output, and that would be different, but it also wouldn’t be good.

There are some pretty major contradictions going on with Wisp right now with them saying her abilities involve portals and her own unique dimension only to have 3/4 of her abilities have nothing to do with portals. I think we all have a right to be displeased with Wisp.

And an opinion is still gonna be an opinion. This is not about wisp and that's undeniable. It's about the crowd. Because out of the 50 million users of course there's always people who won't like it and feel like the game should cater to them. Because people nowadays just like to judge everything without giving it a chance.

Imagine if this crowd was here during the original 8' release. It'd be the very same situation. And for everyone who likes/dislikes something people can also do the opposite. And in the end someone has to bow down and accept it. Not to say it won't be me however. But the fact that Rebb called her a portal frame has little to do, apart from mismanagement of expectations. 

8 hours ago, Pro3Display said:

i havent tried it yet of course but it kinda looks all over the place imo, what do you think?

Honestly, yes she doesn't feel like a portal frame. Sure. But I also think all this revolution is due to people being entitled above anything else. Years ago a frame was released (sure each new frame would be more original compared to now but I'll get to that in a bit) and everyone was happy and accepted it.

The game was humble. Now with the mainstream masses you mostly see people complaining about e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. Frames, updates, mechanics, floofs, cosmetics, PA packs, frame butts, etc. It's the typical angry crowd case generated by an inflow of people thinking something like "Wow this smaller game is trendy, caught my eye and is growing, I'll try it" to "Eh, good. But if this company wants my good VIP word to get around they'll have to do x and y", and I'm yet to see someone by the name of Leyou in these forums.

Every single time DE showcase a frame's skill set I'm already thinking, "Well, the doomsday masses hating the frame even before it's released should be here any minute now". The mindless hate by different people everytime is so predictable it's not even fun. Not because I've seen anything bad with the frame, but because it'd be the same even if DE announced Lord Almighty, our Sacred Clem Prime.

As for a frame's originality what do people want? There's a limit to what one can create that feels fresh (not necessarily original) but can still be useful, a different approach to the same mechanic, and that's what most newer frames are doing. Saying "this frame is not original and ground breaking" nowadays is the same as asking DE to stop making them altogether. But just to show how much of a non-problem this is, I have never seen a community player come up with a totally original frame concept either, and that's still useful. 

Wisp is different. I also feel like her Sun belongs to Ember. But as someone who loves Loki and dealing damage she's a good mix of a Loki (her decoy and transportation) with a damabe dealer frame. But is she Loki? Nope, Loki will still be better at what he does, and Wisp will have her own uses. And I accept that.

Edited by (PS4)Pauloluisx

An elegant solution to concerns over her 1 being too slow on more mobile missions would be a way to recall the Reservoirs to Wisp. This would still be in line with her portal abilities. This solution can be added to her damage AoE ability to give it more nuance.

1. Holding the button for the AoE attack waves recalls the pods to her location, where they begin to orbit her or are placed in a circle around her.
  2. This deploys their buffs all at once when recalled in this manner. If orbiting her is the solution chosen, they can then be redeployed free of energy cost, effectively halving the cost to redistribute by frontloading the cost on her recall and rebuff.

Do not 2 hand and movement lock her first ability or her AoE damage attack: With this change, you can place pods early in the level while still moving, and recall them to your location to produce buffs for yourself. Then redeploy them with either reduced or no energy cost assuming the sequence of colors is ideal for the situation already, rewarding forethought, when you reach your destination.

This would also allow you much more control. It lets Wisp take the lead and buff straggling allies without tying her hands to the location. All this without taking away the idea of location lockdown and forethought needed to place the buds. You'd still have to do that.

So with the reveal of Wisp's kit i thought i would give my 2 cents on her kit.

Passive; turns invisible when in the air.

Personally i quite like this as a passive and i really suits her ghostly/wispy theme.

1st Reservoir; summon up to 6 stationary reservoirs (with no duration) which give buff pick ups that last for 25s (according to the dev stream). Currently there are 3 buffs, red gives health max increase as well as health regen, blue give electricity proc to enemies that are close to you (does small amounts of damage) and green increases speed by a bit.

Now, many people have pointed out how they don't like the stationary nature of the ability. Some suggestions i've seen are make the buffs attached to Wisp and have allies touch wisp to get them like Baruuk's Desolate Hands but without depleting/draining your buffs or just make them a radial cast around her. Personally i'm fine with the stationary nature of it BUT personally i think the cast time to summon them needs to be quick, like almost instantaneous/no delay because of animations quick, to match the high speed of missions AND summoning a new one should get rid of the reservoir furthest away from you when you are at max amount of reservoirs. Otherwise, the buffs are good and the duration is of them is quite nice.

However, the one thing i don't like about this ability is the "seeds" given by the reservoirs; they are big and honestly don't look that good. Personally i would prefer if they were just floating balls of fire with the corresponding buff colour. This way it also hints at the 4th ability, which i'll talk about later.

2nd Ethereal (or whatever it's called); summon a ghostly version of Wisp travelling forward and drawing enemy aggro. Pressing again while the ghost is out will teleport Wisp to it's location. Further, all enemies around Wisp when she teleports (at the end point) will be stunned and blinded.

I've seen people saying that it's just a better version of Loki's teleport or makes Loki redundant; but it really doesn't. Essentially this is almost like Nezha's Chakram instead of Loki's teleport, but instead of doing damage get's aggro, is slower (MUCH SLOWER) and does radial stun/blind instead of radial fire. If you couldn't tell, my major grip with this ability is how slow the ghost is. Although it is necessary for drawing aggro, i feel that i nice addition would be to make power strength increase the speed it moves so we can actually use it to move around at high speed.

3rd Pulse (or whatever it was called); Upon cast, all reservoirs will release a pulse of damage outward. You can cast this anywhere; no matter how far away the reservoirs are from Wisp. The damage of the pulse is determined by the type of buff it gives. (Actual damage types unconfirmed as they weren't demonstrated in battle).

I'm not going to sugar coat it; THIS ABILITY IS BAD. It is DEPENDENT on the 1st ability, this should never be a thing; abilities should exist independent of one another BUT can offer synergies with each other, this doesn't do that, if you have no reservoirs this ability literally does nothing. Further, due to the stationary nature of the first ability, the only use this would ever serve is when defending an objective or console.

Well, then how do we fix this. First up, let it do something meaningful, personally i would recommend a radial debuff to all enemies in a 10 meter radius of Wisp which would slow them by, 30% (affected by strength). ADDITIONALLY there will be 2 synergies with reservoir, the first being the one already in the default ability; radial damage pulse, the second synergy is that the buff with the highest duration will cause a force proc of elemental damage around Wisp; Fire for red, Electricity for blue and Toxic for green.

If you want to go all in on this ability then let the second synergy also affect your teammates; any buff they have (with the longest duration for them individually) will cause a small (half the range) AoE forced proc.

4th Sol; open a portal in front of the sun and blast enemies with a beam of solar energy. Large laser in front of you, damage type is pure fire (as far as i can tell), does damage per second and leaves a small trail of fire when moving the beam.

Personally i fell this is out of place on Wisp as non of her other abilities even hint at it nor does it fit with her ghost like theme. But i will give them credit for the pun from "Soul" to "Sol" (as they're both pronounced the same).

However, even still i think this needs to be changed to either something more ghost like; such as summoning Will-o-wisps that burn and damage enemies or possessing an enemy, OR change the rest of the kit to hint more at her "Portals". Personally i say change this ability as changing the rest of the kit would take too much time BUT, don't get rid of this laser beam from the game; keep it for a different warframe concept and focus it around that giant solar beam because many of us do want to use it and this way it will actually suit.

Personally i would go with something like this; summon many Will-o-wisps (I'm think about 7-10) that will follow enemies (even through walls) and deal damage on contact with them and applying a terrified effect on damaged enemies (similar to Nekro's Terrify). The wisps will stay out for 15s (affected by duration) each and chase after any enemy who isn't yet terrified, if all enemies are terrified they will chase the closest enemies. The base damage at max level will be 100 fire damage (per hit), is affected by power strength. Further, the damage can be increased by the amount of buffs Wisp has on casting the ability; each buff will add 100 BASE damage of their corresponding element (already specified above). max base will be 400; 200 fire, 100 electric and 100 toxin, unless more buffs are added. NO STATUS CHANCE from hits. Holding the ability after cast will send all Will-o-Wisps away (so you can re-summon them). Terrify duration is 5s base (affected by power duration).

I feel this is more Wispy and synergies well with the rest of her kit.

TL;DR Overall, Wisp currently has identity issues with her 4th, a 3rd that's useless and the other 2 abilities are "alright" at best. Definitely needs some work before release.

Hope this helps anyone at DE looking for feedback.

• Like 3

Thinking about possible synergies...

Light + Sol = When hit by Sol beam, Light clone travels farther and faster, can be cast during Sol to distract enemies and teleport Wisp to the clone. Sol beam's damage increase if hitting the same target also works on Light clone, letting Wisp charge up the beam's damage.

Reservoir + Light = Light clone passing through a reservoir will help Wisp pick up the buff, if she doesn't have that type of buff active yet.

Harness + Sol = Harness explosions include a percentage of Sol's scaling damage if cast while Sol is active, but turns off Sol once used.

• Like 1