Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShikiRen

Wisp Review/Early feedback

Wisp is a frame based around portals. At least that is what was said about wisp more or less.
However there is literally only one ability that even involves the mention of portals, let alone there is no in game visual to reflect that. Her kit neither fits the idea nor a kit in reality.

All of wisp's abilities seem to disjoint to form a kit, there seems to be little to no synergy to her powers.
Passive: Wips turns invisible while in the air.
 Ok neat passive, "so her abilities allow her to stay in the air longer or some other stealth mechanics right?". "Wrong" 
First power: wisp places down one of three "buff stations" that give a buff to allies when they run over the stations. Each providing either one of the following buffs, green:move speed, blue: crowd control, red: health.  
Very stationary, and yet again has nothing to do with portals nor synergizes with passive. 
Second power: Wisp throws out a moving decoy that she can activate again to teleport to the decoys location, after teleportation to the decoy wisp lets out a radial blind.
This is wisp's key escape ability which is typical to the caster archetype, this power involves portals I suppose, at least it involves teleportation. This is the only ability I would not suggest a change to be made on.
Third power: Wisp makes her buff stations placed from her first ability deal an aoe damage. 
While this power may seem like it synergizes with the first power that would not be true. This power requires you to use the first power which is not synergy. Coupled with the fact that you have to use your first power this is also a completely stationary ability. 
Fourth power: Wisp shoots a big bad ass laser beam from a star. 
This ability is wisps primary use as of right now, high sustained dps.

Problems I see.
First off wisp's abilities don't synergize, there is zero interaction with Wisp's passive and her other abilities as well as none of her abilities work together, there are no special interactions.

Second, half of her abilities are designed to be stationary. Now I know that Reb said that these are there for wisp to be useful in defense and interceptions and such, but lets be honest wisp would be a horrible choice for any of those game modes.

How would I fix these (here are my suggestions)
Passive: Keep the invisibility part, but also reset the aim glide duration whenever wisp casts an ability. This adds an inherent synergy with every ability and allows for a large mastery of the frame.
First power: Instead of creating the "station" that players have to run through make this an a.o.e buff. When Wisp summons one of the buffs she now gives all allies in an area the little orb thing which allows Wisp be the "station" and allows Wisp and her teammate to maintain movement.
Second power: This is a good power I would change nothing.
Third power: Assuming the change to the first ability is made, this ability would now do the a.o.e around all the players that have a buff. 
Fourth power: The only change I would make would be, if Wisp casts this ability in the air she is suspended in the air free to move around for a larger energy cost. She would also be gaining her passive while in the air.

All of this is based simply on my years of playing games, I'm not a developer or anything like that, but I do know how players play this game. Wisp looks cool but I don't want to see more stuff fall into irrelevance. 

Portals to her "home" dimension. Swampy, dangerous flowers, might be physically located near the Sun, or has some Void Magic star like entity in it. Portals is the means, will o the wisp is the general theme. Chaotic spirit-like entity that guides people to their salvation or doom.

I agree with you, Wisp is sadly going to be pretty irrelevant after the initial hype.
She offers nearly nothing good, nothing really unique.
Her passive is kinda weird, but not going to complain about it.
Her 1st: Is just going to be outshadowed by any support frame (Trinity, hello, even Oberon).
Her 2nd, Again, nothing new, Nezha does something similar (i like this ability though, especially the blind)
Her 3rd: Reminds me of Radial Javel, looks cool, but probably never going to be used, like ever past lv20.
Her 4th: The only ability that looks somehow ok.

Overall, she looks so damn good, i will buy her instntly just to costumize her, but her overall kit is kind of sad.
She doesn't look unique, nor fun, she doesn't seem to be good at anything.
Of course i'm speaking about what i saw, everything is up to change, so time will tell if my initial opinion will change.

instead of movespeed.
they should really just turn it into fire rate buff for self / allies.
currently,the only warframe that can buff fire rate is harrow

i completely missed the devstream, so this is the first i've heard anything about wisp's abilities but it seems like they need to do what they did with revenant, IE change some of the abilities to better fit the theme.

She feels pretty disjointed on top of only one of her abilities really feeling like it's actually thematic. I mean if you are going to call something Wisp, she's should be a Wil'o'Wisp, who are known for leading travelers astray, not planting flowers and opening portals to the sun. She should mostly be about disorientation and misdirection. Her 2 is the only ability that makes any thematic sense.

I also have to agree with Nakrast in that she may very likely become irrelevant after initial release because of how disjointed and underwhelming her ability set is. That or she will become ultra specialized solely for Endless mission types because her abilities are so specialized for staying in on place for longer periods of time. But she will likely be outclassed by any other frame with group buffs for the simple reason that other frames share their buffs automatically and you don't have to wait for her to stop and drop them and run around in circles every time you need one because the player decided to try and use them for their 3 and spread them around. Which brings us to the fact that we know that the vast majority of people do NOT want to micromanage in this game and it looks like her 1 and 3 will be very micromanagement heavy for her in addition to the previously mentioned micromanagement of the other 3 players trying to buff up. You'd think they'd have learned from they mistakes they made with Titania's buff system and not repeated it. Even though Titania still has some micromanagement to do with that, at least it can be used on the move.

On 2019-04-06 at 6:40 AM, Darena_Bryant said:

I've seen people ranting about how terrible she is; just a clone of all the bad things from other frames.

I've seen people saying she's about average, and has some useful and some not so useful abilities.

I've seen people who think she's great, and who can't wait to see what they can do with her.

But I'm curious as to what people think they would have done for her if they were the ones designing her.

So I'm asking people here to show me some of your skill and list your own setup for Wisp. What abilities would she have? What passive? What stats? How would you design her, beyond her appearance and basic concept?

If you post here for this, be sure to give her four abilities, a passive, and list her base stats. And explain why your ideas for her are better overall than what she's getting. Try not to be hostile about it; I'm asking for logic and character building not, 'Because everything she currently has sucksand DE's devs are all stoopid and...!!!'

I've seen people say their friend had made a better setup for her in 30 minutes. Do you feel Wisp isn't being done justice, and you can do better? Time to step up.

I did mine. Took like half an hour to 45 minutes or something. Then it got buried down on page 11 when DE mooshed the threads together, so who the hell knows how many people have seen it.

On 2019-04-06 at 12:26 PM, DeltaPangaea said:

Delta's Super Fantasy Funland Wisp is as follows.

(Passive) Levitation: Wisp maintains full directional control while aimgliding, so changing direction isn't like stopping a boulder, and she doesn't lose height while aimgliding.

(1) Phase: Similar to her current 2 and could reuse the assets, but Wisp turns INTO the projected energy and leaves a short-lived decoy at her previous location. Like 2-3 seconds short. While in energy form though, you are constantly moving forward but can still steer. Pressing the button again ends the ability early. Range increases speed. phasing THROUGH enemies stuns them or does damage or opens them to finishers or fears them or something. Also, the projected energy cannot be seen and doesn't set off alarms or whatever, and any unalerted enemy who sees the decoy is basically just distracted briefly rather than alerted until it goes away. Just an Elder Scrolls-esque 'must have been imagining things' type deal. As a bonus, using this ability resets her glide timer.

(2) Hostile Warp: To actually do something with the portal aspect, her second ability is targeted on an enemy. It teleports them to in front of you, deals damage, and stuns them. They don't count as alerted until the stun wears off, so it's viable for stealth missions. Perhaps it opens them up for finishers.

(3) Shade: This is the one which is basically already on Baruuk, but anyway. Shade is a toggled ability that drains energy over time. Slowly though, even for toggled abilities. While it's active, Wisp isn't INVISIBLE, but is still much harder to detect. Weapons are likewise quieter, but not 100% silenced. Maybe detection reduction and silencing changes with power strength, iunno. Anyway. While it's active she's harder to detect out of combat, and while in combat, she basically has an X% chance to dodge attacks that hit her by reflexively portalling it. Ideally the sort of ability you could turn on at the start of a mission and keep on for most of it if you wanted to mod that way. It isn't flawless like Baruuk's, but doesn't need you to be looking at it and doesn't stop you from attacking.

(4) VOID GATE: Hey, you know what really hecks up living things? You know what's really spooky and ethereal? Y'know what can only be reached by portals? THE VOID. A minor change to her current firebeam, just recolor it and make it do VOID damage. Heck, make Hostile Warp do void damage too. In essence, open up a teeny hole to the void and blast someone with THAT. It keeps the portal fluff, it keeps the effect as-is, it makes it super unique as a warframe that can do void damage, and the ethereal, spooky nature of the Void is far more fitting to the ghost half of her theme than the sun is.

Conclusion

I think Wisp as-is is weird. Just... really weird. A bizarre mix of abilities with little connection to her themes. I highly doubt my thoughts will shape any of her future, but who knows. I'm not 100% sold myself on Hostile Warp, if you wanted her to be more supportive you could rework her current buff effects into something there. Maybe just cycle though 'em and a cast gives the buff to all nearby allies. Not particularly exciting, but it'd be much more user friendly than flower totems. You could even fluff it as drawing power from the void to temporarily supercharge warframes, like those cracks on Lua or Void Corruption from opening relics.

Still not 100% sold on Hostile Warp. Maybe instead of warping people to you, it just dumps them into 'nowhere' for a few seconds. Basically put them in a void pocket where they take damage over time until they pop back out.

Or something like Void Retreat. Channeled ability, you can't move, but you effectively don't exist while you're using it, and heal while you're hiding in your little void pocket.

Iunno. Something better than 'flowers' and 'my flowers explode' and 'shooting a slow-moving distraction'.

EDIT: Or combine both of those void pocket ideas, just on a tap/hold system so you can choose if you wanna drop someone else into a hole or hide in one yourself. Also if someone dies while inside a void pocket, when it ends their ragdoll gets launched out at mach speed into the ground. Because it'd be funny.

17 hours ago, F8ted said:

@(PS4)wintersfrozen I was excited for it with Ivara. It sucks. Thought maybe it would add utility to Vauban. It did not. With Wisp, it's not even a choice. Optimally you would have all 3 buffs up all the time. That's 3 uses of the ability just to start the mission. You don't just get to pop cloak arrow when you feel like, you get to use all 3, consecutively, while your team waits for you to drop the buff. Kind of like World of Warcraft's Shaman totems used to be. That's it! That's where I've seen this kit before! It's WoW shaman complete with totems, astral projection, flame nova, and Lava Burst! At least WoW did eventually make them all drop at once, and shamans had like 20 abilities not 4... 

Hence why I suggested the concept of the ability granting a buff chain. It will grant heath, then CC then speed in that order. Any of her 1 can grant any in the chain rather then cycling threw to get from Heath to CC to Speed. This would still allow you to have all 3 buffs at a time, and it would allow you to go to any of the wisp pods to renew your buffs. It would just be in a chain. theoretically this would remove the need to cycle threw as all pods would provide the same and remove the much hated "hold to cycle" aspect that people have with Vauban. You would still need to "straggly place" your 1 but it would be less about doing so for the buffs and more for the benefit of using the 3.

The 3 could also be modified slightly to allow the damage to eminate not just from the 1 but also from wisp herself (treating wisp like she was one of the pods for sake of the ability). That way for those who do not like/understand her 1 can still get the use of the 3 (just at a non optimal damage design).

Never played W.o.W. I admit to having a lot of distrust for Blizzard as a company due to their lack of original ideas and a personal spite against W.o.W. for taking the player base of Everquest. (A pre-W.o.W MMO with a very similar game play) So unless their shaman is similar to Everquests (10 hot keys that you can put a verity of abilities, an additional spell side bar with another 10 spells all hot keyed) the joke is lost on me.

2 hours ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

Wasn't talking about changing her 4.  Was saying I want her to be able to shoot her 4 at her decoy to make the decoy blow up with said effects without forcing Whisp to teleport.  It's an added thing.  it's not removing anything.

I see then I would give it a hard pass. Her 4 IMHO needs to be removed and changed to match the rest of her.

I feel like there's something to the Hostile Warp idea of @DeltaPangaea's and dumping people into the nothing. Or having it rip them in half - metaphysically - halving their health/armor/everything and spawning a husklike spectre of them (that maybe focuses attacks entirely on them when spawned). Might be too powerful for a 2, if it's halving all defenses, but basically: she sends you to oblivion, you come back half what you were, and with a ghost of you that really doesn't like you trying to stick a knife in your throat.

1 minute ago, Ham_Grenabe said:

I feel like there's something to the Hostile Warp idea of @DeltaPangaea's and dumping people into the nothing. Or having it rip them in half - metaphysically - halving their health/armor/everything and spawning a husklike spectre of them (that maybe focuses attacks entirely on them when spawned). Might be too powerful for a 2, if it's halving all defenses, but basically: she sends you to oblivion, you come back half what you were, and with a ghost of you that really doesn't like you trying to stick a knife in your throat.

Thanks man. Basically my thinking is that if she's meant to be a portal frame, the Void is a great opportunitythat it'd be a shame to waste. I mean the Void literally has ghosts in it, she's a ghost, portals to the void, etc etc.

5 minutes ago, DeltaPangaea said:

Thanks man. Basically my thinking is that if she's meant to be a portal frame, the Void is a great opportunitythat it'd be a shame to waste. I mean the Void literally has ghosts in it, she's a ghost, portals to the void, etc etc.

There are a lot of themes Wisp could play with (fiery things, candles, ghosts, etc.) - but the one that underpins the bulk of the will-of-the-wisp, fool's fire, portals and gates theme to me is the idea of getting lost. Will o' the wisps lead people to their doom in the swamps. Similarly, I feel like Wisp's thing should be getting people lost - in the void, in portals to nowhere (or elsewhere), in trying to find her when she becomes invisible.

Which is why to me, the Solar Kamehameha just jarringly does not fit. I just can't personally think of what to replace it with. 

7 minutes ago, Ham_Grenabe said:

There are a lot of themes Wisp could play with (fiery things, candles, ghosts, etc.) - but the one that underpins the bulk of the will-of-the-wisp, fool's fire, portals and gates theme to me is the idea of getting lost. Will o' the wisps lead people to their doom in the swamps. Similarly, I feel like Wisp's thing should be getting people lost - in the void, in portals to nowhere (or elsewhere), in trying to find her when she becomes invisible.

Which is why to me, the Solar Kamehameha just jarringly does not fit. I just can't personally think of what to replace it with. 

If retooling it to be a torrent of void energy doesn't do it for ya, maybe a black hole? Wisp disappears and creates a black hole at her position for the duration of the channel. Nearby enemies are sucked in and disappear. They take damage as long as they're in the black hole, and if they die while inside it they just don't come back out. Although their items do. Possibly be capable of still moving slowly while a black hole, but eh. Details.

21 hours ago, F8ted said:

I'm sincerely confused. Which post are we talking about here? Nothing in your content stream mentions Wisp before this. So I, or anybody else would have a hard time communicating about it. 

hello, my post was its own seperate topic, and I had responded to a comment there, but it got merged into this mega thread, it has left things a bit disorienting.

7 hours ago, (PS4)wintersfrozen said:

Hence why I suggested the concept of the ability granting a buff chain. It will grant heath, then CC then speed in that order. Any of her 1 can grant any in the chain rather then cycling threw to get from Heath to CC to Speed. This would still allow you to have all 3 buffs at a time, and it would allow you to go to any of the wisp pods to renew your buffs. It would just be in a chain. theoretically this would remove the need to cycle threw as all pods would provide the same and remove the much hated "hold to cycle" aspect that people have with Vauban. You would still need to "straggly place" your 1 but it would be less about doing so for the buffs and more for the benefit of using the 3.

The 3 could also be modified slightly to allow the damage to eminate not just from the 1 but also from wisp herself (treating wisp like she was one of the pods for sake of the ability). That way for those who do not like/understand her 1 can still get the use of the 3 (just at a non optimal damage design).

Never played W.o.W. I admit to having a lot of distrust for Blizzard as a company due to their lack of original ideas and a personal spite against W.o.W. for taking the player base of Everquest. (A pre-W.o.W MMO with a very similar game play) So unless their shaman is similar to Everquests (10 hot keys that you can put a verity of abilities, an additional spell side bar with another 10 spells all hot keyed) the joke is lost on me.

I get what you are trying to do and I respect it. Though trust me, we will never see it used if it drops the buff on the ground. Also, if her 3 and 4 fulfill the same role (aoe damage) the one that is better will be used, and the other will be ignored. Admittedly, your suggestions would be better, but in such a way that admits it has a problem, but has sentimental attachment to the mechanic. There is nothing wrong with her buffing someone. It could even have the vases swirl around someone when it's in affect. It's already difficult to group everyone together to buff via PBAoE burst (warcry) when abilities can already reapply when someone is in range (vex armor). They could have the exact same numerical effect and people would choose the easier one to apply. 

Never WoW but Everquest huh? Yes of course the shaman was very similar, and had a mechanic whereby totems were dropped on the ground to give buffs just like Wisp. I know explaining the joke kills it but yeah those are all visually/mechanically similar abilities that exist on WoWs version of shaman. Can't help but think of this old treasure when you compared the two. Another ~10 minutes of rofling from nostalgia. 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Nyraxx said:

hello, my post was its own seperate topic, and I had responded to a comment there, but it got merged into this mega thread, it has left things a bit disorienting.

Sorry, same thing happened to me, so now I am just commenting in this thread to keep the subject fresh. Lot's people have ideas. They are all somewhere in here now. The mod has caused a huge amount of confusion because it like, hasn't even been named the same thing over the last few days.

My first impression.

I like the synergy of the first and third ability, but that totem wheel looks confusing. 

I'm not entirely sold on the idea of having to stop and pick up stuff from totems, I would have prefer it was an instant area of effect ability.

The 4th ability looks amazing but out place when considering wisp's other abilities. Perhaps introduce an ability something that works with her totems or swap make her 3rd ability into the ultimate and create another utility ability, like FOG: create a dense cloud that decreases visibility (reduce accuracy) and provide stealth to crouching allies with the area of effect.

Since folks are plugging concepts, might as well plug my own:

22 hours ago, (PS4)wintersfrozen said:

I see then I would give it a hard pass. Her 4 IMHO needs to be removed and changed to match the rest of her.

I'll just agree to disagree then so we can both move along.

15 hours ago, F8ted said:

I get what you are trying to do and I respect it. Though trust me, we will never see it used if it drops the buff on the ground. Also, if her 3 and 4 fulfill the same role (aoe damage) the one that is better will be used, and the other will be ignored. Admittedly, your suggestions would be better, but in such a way that admits it has a problem, but has sentimental attachment to the mechanic. There is nothing wrong with her buffing someone. It could even have the vases swirl around someone when it's in affect. It's already difficult to group everyone together to buff via PBAoE burst (warcry) when abilities can already reapply when someone is in range (vex armor). They could have the exact same numerical effect and people would choose the easier one to apply. 

Never WoW but Everquest huh? Yes of course the shaman was very similar, and had a mechanic whereby totems were dropped on the ground to give buffs just like Wisp. I know explaining the joke kills it but yeah those are all visually/mechanically similar abilities that exist on WoWs version of shaman. Can't help but think of this old treasure when you compared the two. Another ~10 minutes of rofling from nostalgia. 

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry, same thing happened to me, so now I am just commenting in this thread to keep the subject fresh. Lot's people have ideas. They are all somewhere in here now. The mod has caused a huge amount of confusion because it like, hasn't even been named the same thing over the last few days.

I do admit I would like to see the mechanic used as I feel it has a great potential that a lot of players simply refuse to acknowledge due to poorly implemented sets up such as Titanias' collect the buff from a single enemy in a sea of enemies who all look the same. However we have seen it collection buffs work on other frames like Octavia where you have to "collect" the buffs by preforming actions nearby. In part, it is really going to depend on the range of the vase's buffs. How close do you have to be to collect it and will vacuum aid in collection of the buffs? For smaller maps this could be a lot easer then fallowing around your entire squad like the support slave, tanks want you to be. (The ability would be the biggest boon in defense, interception and in some survival maps.) Maps where players are going to follow a pattern and move to certain locations more often then others. It doesn't seam to work too differently then when you put down any restore support items. People still have to collect those as well, and with the size of them they look pretty noticeable on the terrain so it won't just blend into the tileset. For larger maps or things like exterminate, Spy, rescue and sabotage she could easily be out shone by other frames but no frame is ment for all missions. Can they call be played on all missions types, sure but Good Ivara will outshine a good Rhino at spy, but the same Rhino can likewise outshine Ivara at Exterminate. 

Having the option to control your personal buffs and collect them as you see fit could be a boon to players who often complain about forced buffs (volts speed). People are lazy that is a given just looking at how many people refuse to play Limbo, Gara or Vauban due to their complexity. (and for me Gara is the simplest of the three). I have said it a few times but my opion on her 4 is that it should be changed to something else. I admit my suggestions for replacements are not overly well conceptualized but more just generalized alternatives for it at present. Embers will use world on fire vs fireball every time, the same way that Wisp's 4 would outshine her 3 but it doesn't make her 3 bad or her 4 bad, its just a bad combo having them both so close and so alike. Frame's with similar set ups in abilities (Embers 1+4, Volts 1+4, Frosts 2+4) all have their abilities on opposite ends of the range. The first one affects whatever it is I'm looking at (targeting) the second affects and area. People use the 4's more often because it affects more things. Wisp's 4 does kind of the reverse of that by being a targeted beam rather then an area of effect. So if the damage was the same and cost the same why would you ever use her 4?

Ya... In fairness Everquest came out like 4-5 years before WoW. I wasn't willing to drop all the work I had put into my characters when my friends started telling me about how much better Wow was. (forced 3rd person Vs optional 1st/3rd was not better to me). I don't recall a mechanic that matches that description but I wouldn't be surprised about it if Everquest had something similar. There were more then a few AoE buff spells that had to be applied to a singular character and would grant the boon to others in the area as well. But as far as I'm concerned managing those spells and your allies is part of being a good support. Though something Everquest had that made it easy to do was the ability to see your allies energy and buffs to know when you needed to recast. A mechanic that warframe lacks, making it harder (but not impossible) for supports to manage the rest of the team. But that's QoL UI change that likely won't happen any time soon.

11 hours ago, (XB1)Nightseid said:

I like the synergy of the first and third ability, but that totem wheel looks confusing

Lol, what synergy? Her 3 is simply another aspect of her 1. There is no synergy, since her 3 is non-existent and completely dependent on her 1

imo, her 4 is meh, its one of those "sound cool abilities" that would probably be lack luster after DE nerfs it 3 times, (see Ember) her other 3 abilities kinda makes her viable for stratergy play which is what ive been asking for in warframe. Less mindless shooting, more thinking before shooting. As the exploiter orb says "DPS Frames are akin to a simple beast, using violence and wrath to fix any matter" at leas thats what i hear.

also just saw what based god Pablo posted, 
i suggest you guys get to practicing.
Related image

2 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Lol, what synergy? Her 3 is simply another aspect of her 1. There is no synergy, since her 3 is non-existent and completely dependent on her 1

Hmm. Validate point had to re-watch devstream. For what ever reason I thought wisp herself also pulsed radial damage in addition to her reservoirs.

2 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

I have to echo this.  If one ability has no functionality unless a separate ability is active, then it shouldn't be its own ability.  A good contrast to this can be seen in Mag's Polarize ability.  Polarize has its own functionality in depleting enemy shields and armors, and restoring the party's shields, but it becomes more useful when it hits a Magnetized target.  See also Nidus's 2-4 abilities.  All of them synergize spectacularly well with Virulence, but they all have their own primary effects: crowd control, damage enhancement/mitigation, and healing. 

Compare this to Wisp's third ability, which by all indications has no independent functionality.  Frankly, I'm wondering if it can even be used if your totems are too far away.  This also actually touches on a secondary issue with the ability.  Warframe is a very fast paced game.  Even Defense and Interception missions see the players covering distances of hundreds of meters in a span of seconds, and those two mission types are in atypically small environments.  At the extreme end, missions like capture frequently see a total mission time of less than 3 minutes.  Even in longer matches such as survival, staying in one part of the map for a prolonged period of time is very much the exception rather than the rule (unless you're farming for rare drops with a pilfdroid).  And the effect of Wisp's third ability is to turn her stationary totems into short lived (one burst?) AoE turrets.  That suggests that the ability will have niche utility to begin with, and might even require more setup than the payoff is worth. 

Dear ShikiRen,

Please calm down. This game is for all types of people, people who enjoy CC, DMG, and everything else.

You cannot stereotype every warframe, for example,

On 2019-04-06 at 7:40 AM, ShikiRen said:

#4 : And number 4, another take on the Revenant-ult-type which nobody effing likes because you are stuck in the animation not using anything else, the damage usually sucks, and you tried to put that ability on 3 of the last 4 frames for crying out loud.

I thoroughly enjoy Revenant, his damage does not suck, and these types of abilities going on the last 3 out of 4 warframes shows that DE is experimenting.

Do not forget where Warframe has come from.

If you don't want to try something new,

then just leave.

Wisp is going to be, for the most part, a useless warframe.  While parts of her kit look pretty cool or have a very interesting concept to them, that alone won't make her even a decent tier frame.  At this point in time she's being relegated to the "mastery fodder" tier of warframes.  Let's break this all down.

Her first ability summons reservoirs that provide various buffs.  Support abilities are perfectly fine in warframe.  While support abilities are fine, deploy-able abilities are not.  While they do have their uses in specific situations, they are mostly useless throughout most of the game as it currently stands and where it appears to be going.  This is the reason Vauban is getting reworked.  How effective the buffs are, or how much damage it does tied into her third ability doesn't really matter all that much.  Sure the buffs would be nice, but everyone has to go to that spot to get the buff.  Sure it may be useful in a mobile defense, defense or interception mission, the rest of the game there's no point to it, you won't be there long enough to utilize it and you'll have to keep moving them just to maintain those buffs and your team would have to get the buffs etc.

Her second ability is in my opinion the best thing about her kit, granted that's not saying a whole lot considering the state of the rest of her kit.  This ability has some very interesting potential play making opportunities.  While the decoy aspect of this ability may not be the best form of CC in the game, that doesn't mean that it's not valuable.   The ability to teleport to the moving decoy after casting is what provides the interesting part to this, you send it out towards where you want to end up, do whatever (i.e. kill some mobs, grab a data mass, pick up ammo, etc.), and then teleport to it.  While it may not be the best in terms of pure mobility it gives us interesting ways to get things done.  The additional radial blind upon activating the teleport and the short invulnerability window means that even if there's a pesky bombard rocket about to give the decoy a bad headache just as we teleport to it, we'll be fine.  In my opinion this is a very interesting concept, you know, as long as the decoy doesn't get stuck on a pebble.

Wisp's third ability makes perfect sense given that her first ability is what it is.  Tie in a little bit of damage to the deploy-able reservoirs and you could do some pretty interesting things.  The problem, however, is the same as it is with her first ability.  Although it may be useful in some situations, throughout most of the game it will be basically useless.

Now for one of the coolest looking abilities in warframe, her ultimate.  Seriously who doesn't want to fry the eyebrows off their enemies with a solar flare?  Given that it does fairly decent damage, that increases the longer you are hitting a specific target, it could be a really fun ability.  There are problems with it though.  First of all there is the animation lock during channeling, which is a big reason why a lot of players don't like abilities like this, i.e. Revenant, but hey not everyone is going to like every ability in the game, that being stated I personally am perfectly fine with being locked into that animation as long as the eyebrows of my enemies are being significantly singed. The second problem with this ability is that it really doesn't feel like it fits with the rest of her kit.  I personally feel like this ability could be used on a rework for Ember, could be a lot of fun there, but on Wisp it just doesn't feel right.  Her first and third abilities are built around deploy-able reservoirs, her second is a distraction and movement ability and then there's this, the giant f*** off solar flare of doom cannon.  It doesn't fit, even if we ignore the glaringly obvious questions about if it really is a solar flare why is this room/ship/atmosphere still here? 

If it really has to be a damage ability why not something like she summons a swarm of *insert lore and thematically friendly object/animal/thing* from *insert lore and thematically friendly place* that flies around and shreds everything.  In my personal example I thought it'd be really cool if she would summon a massive swarm of cetus wisps that fly around her and shred everything, I think that'd be cool and fun to use.  By the way make it a duration based ability, not a channeled.  Also not animation locked.  If it doesn't have to be a super damage ability why not make it support her other abilities or team?

In conclusion, if the goal is to make her a supportive warframe that's only truly effective in defense type situations that's perfectly fine and she'll have a place in my arsenal.  I just feel like a better job can be done and still make a very wonderful and enjoyable frame even outside of those situations.

TLDR: Wisp is, as it currently stands, basically mastery fodder.

2 hours ago, Vulmarrow said:

Dear ShikiRen,

Please calm down. This game is for all types of people, people who enjoy CC, DMG, and everything else.

You cannot stereotype every warframe, for example,

I thoroughly enjoy Revenant, his damage does not suck, and these types of abilities going on the last 3 out of 4 warframes shows that DE is experimenting.

Do not forget where Warframe has come from.

If you don't want to try something new,

then just leave.

Imo experimenting isnt adding abilities with animation locks. experimenting is taking a hard counter to the DPS meta and making CC frames mean something (we'll save that for another thread) . Adding warframes with animation locks are kinda useless unless they did pre nerf banshee damage but now look at banshee, her 4 is a stagger fest while equinox just presses her maim and clean up shop for much less energy. If DE tried something new, then innate Damage Reduction wouldn't be a main part in every main and mini boss were fighting today.