Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wisp Review/Early feedback

ShikiRen

Just now, (PS4)chazmantaz1113 said:

wisp might not be effective but who doesn't want to fire a giant sun laser from their hands. 

A lot of people I think. She is not fitting her ghost theme at all. From all frames she feels like a patchwork frame. Her Sunbeam would fit ember a lot more...

• Like 1

>.> Feels like a massive missed oppertunity to have wisp actually lure and lead enemies around like a player driven titania lantern or octavia ball. It'd be fun to play the pied piper luring enemies to their deaths instead of having a giant ticklebeam of tickling. If you could lure enemies around like that you'd be able to walk them around to your buff shrines and blow them up etc. So even having that stationary stuff would be more okay since you'd be doing the decoy work to lure enemies in for the kill

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, (PS4)chazmantaz1113 said:

wisp might not be effective but who doesn't want to fire a giant sun laser from their hands.  

I like the look of her 1 and 3 a lot more, but I've always had a thing for deployables in games.  

3 hours ago, Gruiz said:

Wisp Warframe obviously will be able to be farmed in Disruption Rotation C withz drop chance of ephemera

If thats the case, i have my plat ready and hot to buy it, im not gonna farm the hell out of that mode for a frame

53 minutes ago, DerGreif2 said:

I hope its not from disruption... and Whisp also dont seems so... useful? Effective? Viable?

that's funny because I thought hildryn would be the useless frame since she was based on shields but now that we were shown how wisp works.... 

• Like 2

On 2019-04-12 at 6:26 PM, Birdframe_Prime said:

I have been Scrolling... for 30 PAGES!!

WellgroomedWavyBoilweevil-size_restricte

Now, honestly, I just wanted to reply to a thread that was trying to come up with something that they would actually want to see from Wisp, not one that just beat on about how we don't like what we've currently seen. Unfortunately, that thread vanished to be smashed into here somewhere.

And honestly, I now just want to leave the ideas and go. This feedback is too long and I'm going to presume that DE aren't actually going to be paying attention by this point, because they certainly didn't scroll past the first few comments on threads about Zephyr to read the actual ideas instead of the innane 'my first post' threads about her...

So.

I just think that Wisp needs to benefit from being more Wisp like and less... everything else.

Her passive? I like it. Wisps are, in the fairy tales and some of the non-adapted legends, known to flicker in and out of sight, appearing in different places to mystify and confuse people. So situational invisibility? Right on the money.

Her 1... Well I can see where they're coming from, the concept is that she summons places where other Wisps gather, and that by bringing those lesser wisps with you they grant you buffs. But. It's too bitty. Too broken up.

If you're going to do a deployable buffing station, do just one at a time and make it useful. By that I just mean make a deployable, call it a 'grove' or something, and when allies pass through that, they gain all three buffs at once. Then you can deploy, say, three of those 'groves', and have there be a bonus for the multiple casts.

Having a single cast not give a player the full benefit of base ability is not good ability design. Having a bonus effect not related to the base effect available for more casting is a good function, though, and could be something like 'while standing inside Grove's small radius, recasting will instantly relocate Wisp to a previously cast Grove'. So if you're on a fast-paced mission, you cast one, everyone runs through it, you gain all the health, speed and CC buffs, and the whole team moves on.

Also useful for missions that like diverting, such as Spy. Place a Grove outside the Vault, navigate the Vault, cast a Grove inside and transport back to the exit instantly. Also works for Survival missions where you can put a Grove down in a place with the Life Support, then run around to find resources, kill more enemies and so on, maybe even camp in a corridor, and if you need to crack open a pod, you can use Grove to return.

Her 2... Unlike a lot of people here, I think her 2 is perfect. Especially after the update from Pablo to say that she gains damage mitigation when she teleports. Talk about an interesting ability for survivability. Double-tap 2 in order to blind and gain temporary invulnerability... Also, fits with the actual theme. A distracting light to lead unwary victims away. That's a Wisp, that's the idea there.

Her 3? Oh sweet mother of forced dependence. No. The ability needs to do something first, a base function. If it's going to be damage, then have it be something like a pulse of damage from Wisp herself, and then as a bonus, not as a requirement, if there are Groves placed, a lower range damage pulse comes from those as well. To scale it up base it on how many enemies are within range, so it deals more if you manage to group enemies up. (Why? Because I had an idea for her 4.) This way, when she presses 3, she deals radial damage as a base effect, and then on top of that, for additional Energy cost of placing a Grove, she gets another instance of damage from there too.

That's, again, basic ability design. You don't make the ability do nothing when pressed just because you haven't cast another ability first. If you want a direct example of this in game, look at Baruuk. Anyone who does not like using Baruuk (and I'm not one of those people) will point out that when they press 4, nothing happens. Not unless they spend time casting his 1, 2 and 3 in order to build up the meter for his 4. To those people, it sucks. And to Wisp players, not being able to cast 3 without casting her 1 will suck.

But it's her 4 I really want to change.

Steering an animation around is boring. I don't care how good the damage is, I don't care how good the animation is, if I have to steer another animation ability around after having it on Hildryn and on Revenant, and narrowly avoiding having it on Garuda, I am going to be upset.

The current iteration literally makes her current 3 redundant. Why would you go set up your 1 and then time the press of your 3 when you can just press 4 and walk around with it? It's old Ash Bladestorm all over again, where your 4 is literally better than all of your other abilities in any given situation. It's un-interactive and if the damage actually does scale up high enough to make a difference at the levels we want it to, then it's going to be stupidly over-powered at the levels it shouldn't be.

What we need is an ability that allows us to scale better, without direct damage and locked animation being the key components.

So I propose 'Lost Souls', where you press 4 to coat a large area of ground in 'fog' (the kind of fog that travellers get lost in and see Wisps), similar to Oberon's Hallowed Ground in height so it doesn't actually interfere with sight for us. Enemies on it will be stunned, whether they are within the cast range or pass into it, stunned enemies will be in an Unaware state while within Lost Souls until directly attacked or until an Objective is in direct line of sight. Enemies within Lost Souls take bonus damage from all sources, and double damage from her 3. Unaware enemies within Lost Souls will be drawn to any Grove that is placed within the range.

This means you have; 1. an on-cast or on-contact stun, which is useful no matter what. 2. Enemies that take bonus damage, also is useful no matter what. 3. A way for Wisp to group all enemies up around her Groves so that you can hit them with the max-damage from her 3rd ability, and it deals bonus damage because of it. 4. A psuedo stealth mechanic where you can cause a room full of Alert enemies to become Unaware, and then go to town on them with a melee or similar for it's own bonus damage on first hit.

In any situation it's useful, but has limits; if you try to cast it to prevent enemies from capturing an Interception point... not going to work, they'll wake up, see the objective, be alert and do things again. Same with a Defense or Mobile Defense. In Survivals, though, and Extermination, Sabotage, Defection, this would really useful.

Honestly...

It's just tweaks to her 1 and 3, but the change to her 4 is something I would genuinely want to see in game. We need scaling that works with what we do, not scaling single-point damage that just puts us into an animation state that we steer about.

I mean... tell me, DE, was it Destiny 2 that inspired this 4th, or was it that somebody had literally just finished reading The War of Three Worlds and thought 'the power of the sun through a portal split the moon in half, let's use that for a Warframe ability!', hmm?

GIMME!

Also, I think this could be another strong addition (but with fewer orbs than visualized though):

On 2019-05-03 at 11:36 PM, Azamagon said:

While there is more to be dealt with, I think one way to make her 2nd ability better as a decoy, is to have the lightwave periodically leave wispy orb decoys in its wake, which linger for a while. To put it graphically,

- is the travel of the lightwave
O is a wispy orb decoy

--------O--------O--------O--------O--------O--------O--------O

These wispy orbs could either last briefly but be immortal, or last a bit longer but have limitted health. They could also act as shockwave emmination sources for her 3rd skill! That means more synergy, more defensive options, overall more viability to the skill, speedier "on the fly" use of her 3rd ability and also a bit more of that "summon stuff through portals" kind of vibe she's supposed to have!

Edited by Azamagon

DE said her theme is portals but after seeing all of her skills, she is far from it. 

My suggestion is to rework the skill FX/mechanics to work in that theme:

1. First ability: Instead of a totem she creates a small portal/black holes that summon a wisp that can be picked up by players ( wisp will have their own color depending on the buff)

2. Remains the same

3.Instead of damage over time she detonated the mini portals pulling the enemy and then exploding.

* If she has her clone out and uses her third skill(hold key to avoid unwanted mini portal detonation) , she will teleport to the clone but instead of radial blind she will leave a detonated black hole at her previous location.

4. Instead of harnessing the power of the sun, she instead uses the power of the void creating a black hole at the tip of her fingers, staggering and damaging enemies also absorbing all projectiles in front of her. ( the damage will increase to more she channels and when an enemy dies he will be absorbed in by the black hole increasing its range ).

Hope you like it.

Edited by Shaden73

1 hour ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

Page 33 of the thread, Lucky, page 33. Key Word 'Lost Souls'.

I am 100% with you.

Thanks friend ❤️ heres hoping de make some revisions before things are set in stone for another few years till a rework

1 hour ago, CodeUltimate said:

that's funny because I thought hildryn would be the useless frame since she was based on shields but now that we were shown how wisp works.... 

Ture, but given how no feedback was ever taken into account. Static buffs, Sun power belongs on Ember, etc. Nothing Ghostly/Phantom about her besides her passive and 1. And given how her alt can do Corssive/Heat and Rad damage all at once. gonna be nerfed into nothing.

Wisp feels like the Revnenent/Passive Frame, atm.

But we'll have to see until she is out.

7 hours ago, Firetempest said:

Disruption C has a chance at Flydolon beacons. Flydolon has a chance to drop wolf beacons. Wolf has a chance to drop wolf medallions which is used to gain wolf standing which can be used to buy wisp parts at the final packmate rank:

Reveal hidden contents

(his real head is in his butt).

If this turns out to be true I'm going to personally hide all your pen caps in your house

5 hours ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

Ture, but given how no feedback was ever taken into account. Static buffs, Sun power belongs on Ember, etc. Nothing Ghostly/Phantom about her besides her passive and 1. And given how her alt can do Corssive/Heat and Rad damage all at once. gonna be nerfed into nothing.

Wisp feels like the Revnenent/Passive Frame, atm.

But we'll have to see until she is out.

Seriously it was such a disappointment in the last Dev stream that they didn't address any of the community concerns. I get that the community seams split on her but to not address any of the comments feels kinda like they don't care at this point and are just going to release her as is no matter what.

2 hours ago, (PS4)wintersfrozen said:

Seriously it was such a disappointment in the last Dev stream that they didn't address any of the community concerns. I get that the community seams split on her but to not address any of the comments feels kinda like they don't care at this point and are just going to release her as is no matter what.

yeah DE just doesn't care anymore. I was really excited for wisp but now that I have seen her kit I can certainly say she will be utter garbage. :'c

Few years ago they released frames useful for very hard specific missions. If they don't add new gameplay mechanics there is no reason to release new frames but if you wanna be fashion.

Edited by bibmobello