Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShikiRen

Wisp Review/Early feedback

Is anyone else super disappointed that she went from having a really cool AOE to just a blinding cc? I was super excited to have her as a new main and then boom she gets a blind cc.

I'm not. Her 3 before was bad because b it was 100 percent dependant on her 1 placement, and useless if she can't use her 1. And would be rather redundant considering she already has her 4 for high damage and room clearing. Her 3 in fact combos much better with her 4 now, especially if the chance for the damage jumping works like Garuda's 4.

her 3 blinds and puts pax seeker on those affected enemies

im pretty sure it's better than a shockwave that emits low damage...

Her old 3 was the reason I didn't have much interest in Wisp, strategic placement of reservoirs is neat in concept, but personally for me I feel like 99% of the time I wouldn't be doing that.

Also I just have a feeling the damage it deals would've been flat and not scale at all, but that's just my assumption. The new blind isn't very inspired, but adds some crowd control to her kit which appears to be aiming for being the ultimate in Jack-of-all-trades..ness.

8 minutes ago, Zandermanith222 said:

Her old 3 was the reason I didn't have much interest in Wisp, strategic placement of reservoirs is neat in concept, but personally for me I feel like 99% of the time I wouldn't be doing that.

Also I just have a feeling the damage it deals would've been flat and not scale at all, but that's just my assumption. The new blind isn't very inspired, but adds some crowd control to her kit which appears to be aiming for being the ultimate in Jack-of-all-trades..ness.

see i think shes more of a jack of all trades with her old cc

17 minutes ago, Zandermanith222 said:

Also I just have a feeling the damage it deals would've been flat and not scale at all, but that's just my assumption

I thought the same, but I also thought they were going to add "Knock Down" and a "Radiation Proc" to make it, I don't know, CC Scale when the damage's use ran out.

Now, you ARE that CC, with the chance to unleash additional damage to surrounding enemies based on your own weapon/ability damage, and are also (the main selling point) Mobile in a fast-pace action game. Her survivability strategy (an important factor I was trying to understand without awkward 2nd ability and Jump/Air Glide spam) has become much more viable with this too.

13 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

I think what they went for with her 1 is the relation to nature that wisps tend to have. Hence why she summons a plantlike thing with motes inside.

Her 4 may very well draw inspiration from wisp lore outside of the more common will-o-wisp. If you just go east to scandinavia the lore about wisps commonly includes beings such as the "lantern man", a dead soul cursed to walk the marshes carrying his lantern. This is one of the origins to Jack. The word wisp also simply meens torch.

edit: It is kinda like with Revenant, the inspirations to his skills come from several different types of revenants aswell as the eidolons. Some way see how it fits while others dont, all depending what old mythology they've grown up with.

at the risk of sounding petty, wisp is a bunch of small things that can usually be wrapped around something which can then be used as a torch.

And again , if her fourth ability was a lantern that confused or distracted enemies it would have been fine , but a laser beam from the sun is not quite it, especially considering every instance of will-o-the-wisp (that is the base theme here) is associated with night time.

(I first wrote this on Steam: Discussion but i wanted to add this here too.)

Idunno but i feel like it should belong to some sort of flower/plant-frame rather than a phantom/ghost-frame like Wisp. In my opinion, i wish she had a sort of ability that synergizes with her passive.

Like, imagen this: Her 2:nd and 3:rd ability became her 1 and 2, and her new 3:rd skill was a duration(or channeling) ability that let her fly around in a similar fashion to Titanias ult. Sense she is always levatating, why not make her fly around? She is a ghost, after all. 

I mean, in no way in my mind can i think of a ghost that shoots kamehamehas for a jobb and does gardening as a free time, it feels inconsistent of what a phantom is. Ultimatly, i would save her first ability for a future plant-frame.

Also, why not give her ult to ember? Ember has always had a problem with being to good at clearing rooms with her current ult, so why not give her Wisp ult instead? It fits her much than Wisp and it solves Embers problem of clearing rooms without much of a hassle, because ember ult has always been her problem, so why not give her a new one? I can totally imagen Ember using her third ability to briefly stun a room full of enemies, then poping a kamehameha, then by the help FROM THA POWA OF THA SUN!! mow them all down. Thats a freakin awesome combo. Also, ember needs some love, she is lonely in her corner setting stuffed animals on fire... give her a laser instead.

I don't think anything really fits whatever theme she's supposed to have. 

This could be said about pretty much all of her abilities, there isn't much consistency from one to the other. Her 1 is pottery, her 2 is a illusion, her 3 is...radial magic(?), and her ult is a solar beam visa portal, like this kit could have been made pulling random ideas from a hat. 

None of her abilities, save for maybe her 2, fit the theme of a ghostly wisp. Especially her 4, because y'know, will-o-the-wisps were always shown in folklore as creatures capable of summoning miniature suns (that conveniently don't immolate the rest of the atmosphere as temperature suddenly rises to thousands of degrees Kelvin) 

I feel like her 2 and 3 fits her. Wisps are after all light-ghosts from english folklore who tricks people into swamps.

Her 2 tricks enemies to follow it and her 3 is a light based ability. So i dont have that much of an issue with them.

On 2019-05-18 at 4:51 AM, dwqrf said:

Hu... Does Wisp has ANY synergy between the spells of her kit, now ?

Probably not, much to my disappointment, though i can understand that synergy isnt and shouldnt be a requirement.

(I first wrote this on Steam Discussion Forums then on General Discussion and now finally here because i think this post fits here the best)

Idunno but i feel like it should belong to some sort of flower/plant-frame rather than a phantom/ghost-frame like Wisp. In my opinion, i wish she had a sort of ability that synergizes with her passive.

Like, imagine this: Her 2nd and 3rd ability became her 1 and 2, and her new 3rd skill was a duration(or channeling) ability that let her fly around in a similar fashion to Titania's ult. Sense she is always levitating, why not make her fly around? She is a ghost, after all.

I mean, in no way in my mind can i think of a ghost that shoots kamehameha's for a job and does gardening as a free time, it feels inconsistent of what a phantom is. Ultimately, i would save her first ability for a future plant-frame.

Also, why not give her ult to ember? Ember has always had a problem with being to good at clearing rooms with her current ult, so why not give her Wisp ult instead? It fits her much than Wisp and it solves Embers problem of clearing rooms without much of a hassle, because ember ult has always been her problem, so why not give her a new one? I can totally imagen Ember using her third ability to briefly stun a room full of enemies, then popping a kamehameha, then by THE POWER OF THE SUN!! mow them all down. That's a freakin awesome combo. Also, ember needs some love, she is lonely in her corner setting stuffed animals on fire... give her a laser instead.

Also, i know im not the first to think of this, but i just wanna get this of my mind partly cause i think a levatation ability would fit her really well and maybe a different ult aswell.

Wisp is a Will-o'-Wisp and portals themed Warframe with a ghost-like aesthetic.

Will-o'-Wisps are little lights or ghostly flames that inhabit swampy/marshy terrain with tons of plantlife as far as the eye can see. Their tendency to disappear and reappear without warning is evident in Wisp's invisibility. Since this is a sci-fi fantasy game, space magic exists, thus portals are added on top of this theme.

Her little plants are made of the same Infested flesh as she is. They could have been growing on Lua for all we care and she summons them through portals. But they went with a new dimension instead, oh well.

5 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

at the risk of sounding petty, wisp is a bunch of small things that can usually be wrapped around something which can then be used as a torch.

And again , if her fourth ability was a lantern that confused or distracted enemies it would have been fine , but a laser beam from the sun is not quite it, especially considering every instance of will-o-the-wisp (that is the base theme here) is associated with night time.

Yeah but the meaning is still torch.

This is warframe where everything is perverted or exxagerated in some way. And the wisp is as much about light and fire as it is about night. Yes it is something appearing at night, but what impact would a wisp have at that time of the day without being a source of light? Light automatically connects to fire, a reoccuring theme in many tales about wisps all over the world.

And the whole idea that this frame is based on Will-o-the-wisp specifically is a stretch. It is based on wisps in general, Will just happens to be one of the main names used in brittish stories, just as Jack is the common one in american. Wisp here is more inspired by wisps (or fairies) as a whole, given her appearance and fluid animations. She is more similar to generic forest folk than the specific Will-o-the-wisp lightbulb.

first of all. dont bold your entire post. bolding for emphasis only works when only a small portion of your post is bold. 

second of all. they make sense, its a portal themed frame. the sun laser is literally a portal to the sun. same for the reservoirs, they get summoned from a portal. it fits, but its a quirky implementation of her theme.

On 2019-05-18 at 4:52 AM, (PS4)Taishin_Ishu said:

I honestly liked the original 3rd ability.  Seemed cool to not only have a buff, but a strategic defensive tool, as well!  I was looking forward to it.

The 4th ability I'm not a fan of.  It looks cool, just don't think it fits the theme.  Don't know why this went from a Wisp frame to a Portal frame all of a sudden.

Would have been cool to give her Revenant's original 4th, which was that mass sleep.  Feel like it would have fit the theme of Wisp better.  Could even give Sleeping enemies a radial "buff" to players, or something.  Or make THEM into explosives, like her 3rd was....

Same reason why Revenant was supposed to be based on Vlad The Impaler and Garuda was supposed to be an alternate to Valkyr [where Valkyr was pure rage, Garuda was calculated anger], but then became a clumsy focus on Eidolons [even though Revenant's little lore mentioned he was AGAINST them, not based on them] and blood [since Garuda was changed to be based on Elizabeth Bathory, a woman who kidnapped and killed young girls to bathe in their blood and remain young, so.....a vampire].

Remember that Revanant was even changed very late into his dev cycle to have his current laser spin 4th ability, it was supposed to be a mass CC that put enemies to sleep. This kinda implies DE isn't even fully sure of what they want to do with a frame even late into its creation.

Sadly as with all previous and future frames, once the power is decided n implemented, it will not change. It will only be tweaked, adjusted etc. It will not change to a total different ability.

Nowadays, take the theme and the ability of the frame with a pinch of salt as they are not necessarily related.

On 2019-05-19 at 1:13 PM, Ephemiel said:

but then became a clumsy focus on Eidolons [even though Revenant's little lore mentioned he was AGAINST them, not based on them]

Akchually, Revenant was warped by the energies of the sentient, because he fell for it's trickery, or something like that. It still makes no sense, considering Infested and Sentients are supposed to be unmixable.

On 2019-05-19 at 1:13 PM, Ephemiel said:

Elizabeth Bathory, a woman who kidnapped and killed young girls to bathe in their blood and remain young, so.....a vampire

A woman who was accused of completely untrue garbage, because a king was indebted to her husband (who mysteriously died during a war, not in battle mind you...). After she was executed for crimes she didn't commit the king took all her money and obviously wasn't in debt anymore... How convenient.