Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wisp Review/Early feedback

ShikiRen

i don't get why people make threads like this. at the very bottom of the screen during a Devstream it says "Dev build" this means anything and everything you are watching is subject to change, the demonstration is just to show you the basics of what the ability does: actual stats, Utilities and Synergies are added later on, usually via a hotfix. you'll never actually knowhow good, mediocre, or bad she is at each aspect of Warframe until you actually play her. yet every time a new frame gets shown there's always a few that say "ugh, it's trash". maybe you're right... but how will you know until the frame is actually released?

honestly looks and sounds pretty decent to me on paper. bear in mind that this is frame #40.. we are past the point of frames overlapping with things like Invisibility, AoEs and high DPS ults. there aren't really any more original abilities left to put in, and every frame typically needs to have at least one DPS, one Survival skill and a half-decent CC just to be considered usable nowadays, so you're probably gonna find that every new frame fits this kind of basic formula, but with different effects and animations.

you know you can always just use a frame simply because you like them, right?

Well, in the devstream, DE have talked about the way the design warframes nowadays and that made it really evident what the problem is. Instead of striving for quality, they're striving for a large quantity of warframes. This makes for honestly forgettable warframes that aren't very well-designed. Most 'good' warframes have one roll to fill (dps, tank, stealth), but the latest ones are all 'general use' frames, which aren't very useful in a game like this.

Edited by lennieplop60

I was deeply amused by it.  I was thinking she'd be more smoke and deception based, like some weird hybrid of Ivara and Limbo. 

Then I saw her deployables and thought, "Huh, Starcraft Frame". 

Then Reb talks about how if you could teleport/make teleport gates, why wouldn't you harness the POWER OF THE SUN!?

Me:. . . Wait, what, hold on-

Wisp: I'MA FIRIN MAH LAYZOR!!!

. . .

Clem but it looked cool, at least. 

Just now, Mister_Sneeze said:

but I see her being too much of a hassle to most pubs to even deal with. I would much rather have a frame that could clear a mission without having to stop what they're doing to pick a buff back up. it'll also feel crappy for the person giving the buffs to constantly chasing that player making sure that when the buff runs out that the next one is right next to them creating an annoying situation for the wisp player. i think she'll be just fine in defensive missions types but then again you can just run sayrn, or any other mass damage frames to clear the room and progress faster.

From what it looks like she is meant to be more of a mixture of support and CC. Defense and interception missions are where she will shine for sure. Survival may also be a possibility as most plays just hole in a room or two and bounce back and forth so dropped her pods in those two rooms should be fine. She doesn't seam meant to be the main CC or support but more for a team that doesn't have both of those covered she could step into either role and fill it. And most people don't being in support characters to spy, capture or exterminate to she should be fine.

Characters like Sayrn are ment to be high damage and high DPS Crowd control is a different aspect. CC is meant more to pull a group to your DPS/Tank or away from them when they need healing. comparing her to Sayrn makes about as much sense as comparing Rhino to Titania. They are in two different categories that can overlap depending on builds but aren't meant to compete with each other in a team dynamic. 

No buff is permanent. Supports all have to chase the team or make the team come to them. Really its going to come down to a lot of players who don't play support having to learn what it means to be a support player with Wisp. Trinity and Octavia are more what I'm looking at when I say support VS Chroma. To get Octavia's buffs you literally have to be next to her and do things in accordance to the music. If your not close enough then you wont get the buffs. Titania's buffs you have to collect (though tribute isn't really worth the casting due to how bad the buffs are). Gara can buff allies but they have to be right on them when they do otherwise the buff just goes to Gara. It's really only in cases Chroma or Volt where they boost their party when they boost themselves and even then you have to be within a range to receive the boost.

Speaking of Volt I think the speed buff is going to be the only buff people have a problem with. Second to limbo Volt is one of those frames people bow out when they see. Solely because people don't enjoy a forced speed buff. I don't think they should get rid of it though but they will want to implement a way for people to remove that particular buff should they pick it up on accident.

40 minutes ago, Campaigner said:

Press 4 to win? It requires aim. 

They’re basically saying it’s another “press 4 for big damage attack that restricts some movement and requires minimal input from the player, like Danse Macabre”.

Which I have to agree with. I like the idea of a big sun beam laser cannon, but it needs to be more than just a straight forward beam of fire damage.

I agree with you on the fact that people need to learn to be more civil when giving feedback in general. By that I mean don't call-out devs by name and harass them. Saying that abilities of an unreleased warframe are "hot garbage" or "this is poop" and then explaining why it is "hot garbage" helps them change/tune the frame before release.

Also, please don't use "its a free game" as an excuse. If it free for you then that just means that someone else paid for you. (i.e; the people that buy prime access/plat and the like)

1 hour ago, Aeon94 said:

4# I find her 4th quite interesting , as it feels like Solar version of Destiny 2's Chaos Reach and feels so good to watch it.

That made me think if Wisps Ult didn't use energy but instead charged up from running. Kind of like the Geomags.

Let me start out with the following: This isn't about her potential gameplay, it's about the presentation of her abilities in regards to what the frame is trying to be artistically, additionally, this will be really ranty and obviously all based on my opinion, so be warned.

TL;DR at the bottom

So, Wisp's abilities, the ghost frame, have been showcased on Devstream today and I've got to say, I'm terribly disappointed in what most of her kit's design ended up being like.

Starting out with... 

•  Wisp's Passive

Wisp turns invisible while airborne.

While this is certainly one of her more ghostly aspects, how exactly is invisibility while airborne specifically fitting the theme of ghosts and apparitions. Invisibility in itself can be linked to them by the classic trope of ghosts being able to turn invisible at will or mostly staying invisible altogether, but that's the point: *they are capable of constantly being invisible whenever they please*.

I'm not saying we should get another frame with a "tap ability and turn invisible" type of deal, but it certainly should trigger in a manner that is more intended and should make the player feel like they're haunting their targets, instead of being a glorified game of peek-a-boo.

• Wisp's first ability, Reservoir:

Wisp can cycle through different buffs which, when planted, spawn a flower that continuously provides buffs to whoever steps onto it.

Ok now, the Invisibility is pretty ghostly, but how exactly are flowers related to ghosts? Isn't Wisp the ghost frame, with her name being a reference to will-o-wisps, you'd expect her kit to deceive and misguide unites, instead, she plants buffing flowers as if Wisp is the botanist frame, Oberon's best friend.

Nothing about this ability is playing into her name's origin or visuals and feels like it was meant for another frame entirely since buffing allies nor flowers are things that really go in line with what the frame visually tries to be.

• Wisp's second ability, Light:

Wisp sends out light in the shape of her towards a direction which draws in enemy fire, Wisp can recast the ability before it ends to teleport to the light's location, stunning nearby enemies.

Surprise, but, nothing to complain about here. This ability is perfectly fitting into her kit and the will-o-wisp theme, which is light that deceives the viewer or in this case, makes the enemies think it's Wisp herself.

While I personally think that a fear CC would have been fitting the theme more, some form of utility had to be added, otherwise, the ability would have been underperforming.

•  Wisp's third ability, Radial Effects (because it wasn't named):

All of Wisp's Reservoirs will pulsate out a single wave that causes damage to enemies struck.

Ok, this plays into her first ability, which, as I've already established, isn't fitting her theme at all. Not to mention how boring, campy and simplistic the ability is, but that aside, the ability would have made a great fit for a flower/botanist frame, which places down flowers that buff allies, but damage all enemies that dare to get close to them, like a rose with thorns.

and finally...

• Wisp's fourth ability, Sol:

Wisp create's a portal to the sun to harness its energy and shoot it towards the enemies.

What even, a portal to the sun that burns enemies? For a portal frame, a space frame or the previously mentioned flower/botanist frame, this ability would have made sense, but for a ghost? Why is this ability in her kit?

Look, for a flower frame, this could have had some great synergy with all it's flower related abilities, where it could empower the flowers placed down already, buff allies struck (because we all have a happy day with the sun being out) and burn enemies hit, a support and damage wombo-combo that has synergies with the flower theme of the frame, but Wisp isn't that frame.

Ok DE, I'm not saying the kit is terrible, some aspects certainly need some work (like the lackluster 3) but this is the correct kit for the wrong frame and I'm more than just flabbergasted that this kit made it into this frame, considering a previous statement made by you, related to Garuda, where you have the ideas but not the time.

If you do have the ideas, then how come there were no ideas to find to create a proper ghost frame that follows through with the theme given to it, because to me, as an outside viewer with no background information on her development outside of what you yourselves provide during the Devstreams, it looks like you ran out of ideas and just had to scrap together and fit in whatever ability ideas you had left, hence the title of this thread.

•  To conclude:

You can keep the abilities, use them for another frame later down the line that is centered around them and fits the theme, but Wisp certainly isn't that frame and I really wish she would get a makeover to make her a frame that fits the deceiving, haunting ghost theme that was given to her by her visuals and name.

TL;DR:

Spoiler

Watch me rant for way too long about things that probably won't get changed anyway.

• Like 7

I think her kit is just fine.

Place some reservoirs around the defense target, spam 3, profit.

Or fire off her 2 and use the extra second to give yourself that health/healing buff.

Or just fire her 4 and yell "PRAISE THE SUN!".

I mean, I've seen people complain that her 4 doesnt fit the kit. Reb said she "placed a portal next to the sun and uses it to summon the beam" or something. Sounds good to me. There's your portal magic. Now go enjoy it before they nerf it.

Really, just because she can't nuke the whole place in the blink of an eye, or CC the whole map and the planet next to it doesn't mean she sucks. I hate how people around here whine about things they didn't even get to use yet. Not to mention that we didn't see what mods Reb was using in the stream, so there's no guarantee she's weak. Maybe the only mods she was using were health/shield mods. At least I don't recall anyone mentioning the build used.

At the very least, I think we all can agree that a death beam like her 4 nice to look at. And I like fancy death beams. Goes well with my eyes.

I'm 90% sure Wisp is inspired by Wraith from Evolve.

• Same movement animation
  • Wisp's 2 is like Wraith's Warp Blast
  • Wisp's 4 has a similar orb effect to Wraith's Supernova 
  • Wisp goes transparent, like Wraith when she drops a decoy
  • Even their body shape is the same (just minus Wraith's extra arms)

Maybe it's just what happens when people try to make a "ghost" character.

On a more relevant note, I'm just happy to see a Warframe with a different playstlye. 

Edited by Zectico
  • Like 1

To answer most of your concerns: Space "Ghost-like" Entity

I've never heard DE claim that Wisp is straight-up a "Ghost" or that her design is "Ghost". They've mentioned "Portals", they've mentioned "Her own little Dimension", but never "Ghost" that I've recalled.

There you go. Not a Ghost. Your concern about her powers not fitting the Frame are over. Glad to help.

EDIT: And yes, I'm aware they said "Sorta a Will-O-Wisp design" before, but that was during initial planning for the Frame, and not in these final stages they've eventually reached.

Edited by Tangent-Valley
  • Like 2

I, for one, would really like Valkyr to have her real kit made, that of cats. I don't know how DE has gone this long while throwing lies at the player. Her visuals are clearly cat-like so I don't know how she could possibly have the kit she does. It can't be that my view of her theme is wrong or incomplete.

DE would never listen to me.

From what I'm seeing, Wisps number 1 ability seems super inconvenient. We'll have to sit around spamming it every now and then cos we'll want the buffs, which could take a while given you have to shoot, switch buff, shoot, switch buff, shoot. And I'd hope they're strong enough and actually last long enough to be worth using. Otherwise if they aren't useful enough or convenient enough, we'll just be spamming it for defenses and boss fights only and otherwise just ignore it and stick to number 2 and 4 abilities only.

Honestly, (in my opinion) it would just probably be a lot more synergistic if every time you hit 1, it would quickly shoot out and place on the environment an aoe buff station which would shoot all 3 buff wisps within a large area of effect to Wisp and her allies, and this placement would be constantly regenerating/growing the buff wisps to shoot them at an ally who on longer had the buff wisp on them as it ran out and dissipated, but probably not before then unless there's a stacking mechanic.

And you could have all 6 of those down at once in one spot for a defense, synergizing with the third ability and possibly able to stack on allies, or you could use all 6 to continue placing them as you move through a mission, recollecting your buffs every now and then, with every new 7th/8th replacing the 1st/2nd you placed and so on, allowing you to actually spam the towers or continue placing them, and not have to swap between the 3 different buffs and taking longer to place them down.

And side note the same could be said about Nyx's new debuff, having to hold down to cancel the previous use before being able to shoot the ability out again, lets say out of the enemies it debuffs you kill all but one that's stuck in a wall and you're surrounded by enemies, you then have to waste more time cancelling it before you can use your ability again and keep fighting, it won't feel smooth, it complicates things, and that's what I'm getting with Wisp's first ability, everything else seems solid and like it can go places.

How is her thing even portals anyway? How is she a portalframe?

None of her abilities are to do with portals except her 4's thematics. It's like they just said "PORTALS" when she... doesn't use portals at all? Nova's more of a portalframe.

What the hell is Wisp meant to BE?