Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are people actually okay with Garuda?

MixtheBlender

6 hours ago, auxy said:

Hydroid's 2?

Hydroid's 2 is an awesome movement skill+On Demand invulnerability and lets you easily group enemies up to pin them in place with your 1 as you can cancel the movement with your 3 to leave all the enemies in a stack when you come out of puddle. It's great for melee for the same reasons. Stack up a bunch of enemies then when they come out of puddle and start standing up (and being knocked down again by your 1) they're unaware of their surroundings and taking 8x melee damage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NinjaZeku said:

I mean, you don't actually *need* a 100% Bleed chance, this is not a Slash Shotgun type situation, a bit under 100% will do just fine.

Like, many swear by using Hunter Munitions on weapons that don't even reach 100% Crit Chance,
so you have a less than 30% chance to proc Bleed and yet that's apparently fine,
but for some reason, on Garuda, it's all or nothing from pretty much everyone talking about her 4, it's ... quite baffling.

Sorry but, again with that? How much Health per second do you need?

If anything, something that helps reduce / avoid damage besides her indeed somewhat meager frontal shield would be nice,
maybe [warning, random idea that's probably terrible incoming] something like ...

Casting the Dread Mirror projectile into a Blood Altar zone will charge up that zone
and now provide damage reduction of ... let's say 75%, with this effect lasting until
(75% of) enemy damage has used up all the projectile damage (or BA runs out).

It's no full substitute for a "proper" defensive ability like Snow Globe for protecting objectives,
and it's of limited use in more mobile mission types, but I think something like this would be a useful addition to her kit.

I was random brainstorming, not saying this is what must happen.

40 minutes ago, TheGrimCorsair said:

Hydroid's 2 is an awesome movement skill+On Demand invulnerability and lets you easily group enemies up to pin them in place with your 1 as you can cancel the movement with your 3 to leave all the enemies in a stack when you come out of puddle. It's great for melee for the same reasons. Stack up a bunch of enemies then when they come out of puddle and start standing up (and being knocked down again by your 1) they're unaware of their surroundings and taking 8x melee damage.

Yeah, sure, it has its utility, no question. Same way with Garuda's 4.
That was kinda my point though. It's not game-breaking, so according to a lot of players it's useless.
That said, I actually was thinking of his 3 power, Undertow. My bad, I haven't played Hydroid in ages and ages.

Just to be clear in case anyone is confused, I don't feel that way. I use a lot of "bad" powers all the time.
For god's sake I play Titania and rarely use Razorwing. It's a ton of fun to spam her first three powers.
More effective than you'd think, too.

Basically, I see the OP's argument as "Garuda's 4 is not as good as I would like, so she is bad/underpowerd."
And I was countering that by saying "even if it is, that's fine."

Edited by auxy

12 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

Dread Mirror's lack of baseline damage is weird. The initial strike should deal damage equal to one strike of her Talons, in addition to its instant kill threshold.

It deals 10% of the enemy's total health as True damage. Meaning, it will always take the same amount of casts to kill and enemy (around 6 casts thanks to the 40% instant-kill threshold)

2 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

It deals 10% of the enemy's total health as True damage. Meaning, it will always take the same amount of casts to kill and enemy (around 6 casts thanks to the 40% instant-kill threshold)

Fair enough, but that is still tiny in most cases. Changing this to a strike from her Talons I think would still make more sense, as that little damage does not make for great visual feedback when attacking enemies at most level ranges.

Hello, I am a Garuda main. So allow me to share my take on her.

1) Survivability, she performs well at this but requires the use of her abilities to do so, which isn't a problem since she has an energy-regen ability. The trick is knowing when to use your abilities so you're not vulnerable. Additionally, her heal ability stacks and is affected by power strength. Her passive increases her ability strength as well depending on her hp. So if you stack a couple of altars, you're nigh invincible around them.

2) Her shield, it is potent. It absorbs/blocks damage from a considerable area in front of Garuda, meaning you are free to dish out damage while being relatively protected. On top of that, if you put your back to a wall, then boom, you're not a turret of destruction. also, the damage you take from your shield can then be quickly unleashed to wipe out enemies in a large aoe.

3) Her 4th ability is excellent. You want her older one, but I don't. That was a generic grinder that would be excellent for clearing out mid level enemies, but would be incredibly limiting as it has a low range, leavers her exposed, etc. Her current 4th is excellent for making high level enemies vulnerable, and for nuking single targets. I mean, this ability absolutely wrecks juggernaut.

Overall, Garuda is a beast, and if she's around her altar. Run, thought it won't do you much good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

Fair enough, but that is still tiny in most cases. Changing this to a strike from her Talons I think would still make more sense, as that little damage does not make for great visual feedback when attacking enemies at most level ranges.

Plus it gets her claws involved in her gameplay, instead of just being this weird vestigial feature.

I'd like them more involved than that, but it's a start.

• Like 2

On 2019-04-08 at 4:27 PM, MixtheBlender said:

People say her new #4 is used to take on high level enemies with slash, but in reality she lacks good defense option to let her safely charge her ult. I often have to get bullet spray in the face to use it (same problem with Hydroid btw). Her #3 healing is so weak she can't save anyone not even herself. H

Her defense options are stacking regen circles with adaptation/quick thinking. 

She can rapudly charge her QT 

You also don't need to charge her 4 every single time, target a heavy hitter or tunnel then toss her orb

You also never need to charge the orb

Her defensive option is her dread mirror, its not the best but shes designed to be a glass canon that can kill a target of any level 

Dread mirror -> back to wall -> charge 4 us you really need to charge it.

Her original 4 was Ass, no interaction, more than likely would've scaled horribly and probably got her killed

• Like 2

The 4 is arguably fine, the first iteration was just gonna be a duration based Dance Macabre, and then splat, don't even know if the debuff existed then.

My only issue with her 4th is, unlike Hydroid's charge up mechanics, where if you charge for longer it will cost more; no matter the Charge, Garuda will ALWAYS lose 100 energy even if it's the narrow, short ranged cast vs the Wide and looooooooonger cast. Maybe have it cost 50 for a tap at enemies just in fronnt of you? or anywhere between 50 or 100 depending on charge, that'd be great.

Also, the cast animations lasting about a second after you have stabbed an enemy with either Dread Mirror or Blood Altar, that can get annoying.

Her 4th is perfectly scaling with higher difficulty content since it makes you deal lots of bleeds and thus helps with anything heavily armored. People are complaining all day long about frames not scaling much, Garuda is so i wouldn't complain about that.

Her survivability is more than decent too, if you're facing dangerous threats just don't play her with 2HP only. Health regeneration, frontal invulnerability, decent health and armor really make her tough - complaining about her dying while being played as a glass cannon isn't much relevant.

The only thing that bothers me is her kit clunkiness. Channeling her 1st and 4th aren't much fun and tbh i don't see Garuda as a slow frame. Since she's not Volt not Saryn, i don't see why she has to spend hours locked in boring animations while being shot at - If DE didn't want us to spam her abilities, just put a short CD or whatever. I really think they made her quite boring because they didn't want us to exploit her abilities.

Problem is that no one is exploiting her abilities cause no one is playing her...

Quick and smooth gameplay all the way !

8 hours ago, Staggeringking said:

Love Garuda's mechanics, but the ONE thing I think is a no brainer is to add an indicator to enemies below 40% health that can be executed with her 1, maybe even prioritize that target if the aim isn't perfect. Especially for her Dread Ward augment.

Absolutely this. It would make her far more user friendly, especially given her new Augment.

Edited by KokoroWish

On 2019-04-09 at 10:09 PM, auxy said:

That said, I actually was thinking of his 3 power, Undertow. My bad, I haven't played Hydroid in ages and ages.

It's good for not dying while you cast Tentacle Swarm. Jackal fight at Marduk lasts ~2 seconds with Hydroid and a powerful weapon, thanks to Undertow. 

Did 100 waves arbi def with garuda and my friend with mesa yesterday.

I run umbrals/QT/pflow with natural talent, handspring, 2x arcane guardian. This frame is awesome and so much fun, can also heal operator objective with her 2 (im running naramon and go ham on melee so no vazarin for heal). Next Uforma i farm is defo going on her. Top tier frame can be even little cheesy with certain weapons/her 4 (can do insane bleeds with my weapon setup). 

Love her, shes not pleb friendly and takes some skill to play, thats why most ppl think shes trash. 

Also love that idea about marking enemies that are ready to get finished by her 1. Would be awesome and might even make me slap new aug for invincibility on her. 👍

Garuda's 4th is prolly her best feature.

That's not to say I'm happy with her. There's polish to be done that didn't happen and now we'll have to wait a year.

• Mirror still has poor targeting unless you jump or use her "feature".
  • Mirror doesn't block a lot of radial damage sources that it should and I mean a lot. RIP to Grineer.
  • Mirror should move up and down. Esp needed for open world but plays with her vampire-like "feature" of using Dread Mirror.
  • Adaptation stacks do not refresh with damage taken to QT. (This is more of a logic debate).
  • Enemies stunned by her 4th cannot be stunned again by it. This makes use of her throw more volatile than needed.

Just some basic tweaks but some much needed ones. Esp her Mirror. What's the point in a shield that doesn't block.

Garuda is the best warframe in the game actually, she provide, Heal, sustain tank (not like nidus but still decent), bypass any armour/shield and scale infinitely (+ her passif work in archwing)  just she  have a kit for setup/camp and people prefer gotta go fast with misa prime

On 2019-04-08 at 10:34 PM, kyori said:

Ya she is not ok for high level. It require good skill to play her solo in high level. Of course there won't be problem playing high level in squad because there are always others to revive Garuda. lol

Her design look is one of the better ones but her abilities.... meh.

Agreed. She doesn't have good sinergy with her abilities. She also doesn't do anything amazing that other warframes can't. 

i personally wish her passive was different. what good is a damage buff if you have to be near death, and its rendered irrelevant when she starts healing herself. most people play her as a tank anyway, which i can get behind, but her passive doesnt really help in any situation unless you like dying all the time. thats just my thought on her.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, (PS4)ErydisTheLucario said:

i personally wish her passive was different. what good is a damage buff if you have to be near death, and its rendered irrelevant when she starts healing herself.

I'd like the damage boost to decay slowly (maybe ability usage could even stop that decay for a bit),
and be increased by whatever % of health damage you take, so you could e.g.
go down to 50% Health, heal up, go down to 50% again and you'd reach the cap of +100% damage.

• 1 month later...

Garuda is far from weak thanks to her insane self sustain, however a few things irks me in her design :

• Bloodletting is as boring and basic as it can get : bleed yourself, get energy. There is little to no interactions or skills involved, you just slap it around blood altars for free energy. It's also ridiculously good at self sustaining you
  • Her passive doesn't work that well for several reasons : first because it's too dangerous to bleed yourself too much during high level missions, but also because a lot of times you might end up being healed without your concent by allies. In my case, I usually end up ignoring her passive and just focus on surviving : Seeking Talons does a better job at improving my damage output anyway thanks to the bleed debuff thing.
    • EDIT : Actually her passive works well if you run a QT build, unwanted heals may still be a small issue though.
  • Talking about Seeking Talons : it seriously bothers me that the cost of that ability isn't impacted by how much you charge it. Pressing 4 without charge shouldn't cost you 100 base energy just for hitting some stuff in a straight line.
  • Dread Mirror and Blood Altar both involves you jumping at high speed to a distant enemy, which is effectively an overlap. It's not the worst overlap in the world though : we're far from a Bastille VS. Vortex level of awful overlapping, but it's there. IMO it would be better if you wouldn't have to jump on an enemy when using Dread Mirror. It may definitely not look as flashy, but IMO it's better if summoning your shield doesn't require you to get out of position.
  • Her talons are available as a melee option if you do not equip a melee weapon, but they're just kinda there really. They're just slightly above average and doesn't grant you any particularly noticeable benefit (aside from the fact that you may be able to hit enemies in the rift if you happen to play with a Limbo in your squad, at least this is what the wiki says). You're very likely better out with the current top tier melee weapon of the moment. They also follow the exalted weapon modding rules while having very little of the advantages given to exalted weapons, but hey at least they won't consume energy.

Despite her already strong-ish state, I think it would be very appreciated if the following changes were made :

• Base cost of Seeking Talons should be reduced to 50 energy, and ramp up to 100 energy at full charge.
  • Bloodletting should be a bit riskier. Consider temporarily making it disable your healing. As a compensation, add a CC effect to enemies around it so it's not THAT risky : maybe you could blind them with your blood. This would also, sort of, fix one of your issues with your passive.
    • If such a change are made, we may need a way to pick up the quantity of health we want to sacrifice. 50% of health regardless of choice may not be ideal.
  • Remove the mobility component of Dread Mirror. It's counter intuitive to make you move out of position to get a frontal shield.
  • Consider giving to Garuda's Talons the following properties :
    • Heavily increased finisher damage, both for stealth and ground finishers.
    • 100% gore chance (if it's not already the case).
  • Like 1