The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What challenges are acceptable?

Hi Tenno! I seem to notice that literally every week of nightwave I see posts saying “this is so stupid, why do I have to (insert challenge player doesn’t want to complete)” so I was wondering, what is acceptable? What challenges are okay? Because while there’s been challenges I don’t like, I’ll simply not do them. So what challenges are left? Just simple quests like shooting or melee kills? I’m curious what type of quests you’d like to replace all the ones the community is complaining about.

Edited by (XB1)FISTO ROBOT0
  • Like 5

That is a very opinion base question. Have fun.

Only thing I think most hate are being forced to player with others (in an online game...) and 1hr task that lock you into an hour of game play.

Edited by Zelmen

Stuff that allows us to play the game the way WE want. So, no Kill 150 enemies with Magnetic damage (who even uses Magnetic damage?), no Use 3 Forma. no Sculptures, no arbitrary challanges (play 5 hours of Kuva Survival without using life support towers, while in your underwear, at the North Pole, while livestreaming yourself, without any penguins appearing in shot, while cuddling a very hungry polar bear, during the end of the world). Anything that specifies to do something in a certain way is not allowing me to play the game the way I want, it's forcing me down a singular path with no alternatives. If we ain't given alternatives, that thing ain't fun to do.

But, in general, Nightwave is unacceptable, so...

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Zelmen said:

That is a very opinion base question. Have fun.

Only thing I think most hate are being forced to player with others (in an online game...) and 1hr task that lock you into an hour of game play.

Well we all play with others (unless you solely play single player) its the part of playing with someone on your friends list or a clan mate that people don't like.

• Like 1

None. I want a Day 1 Login Package delivered trough the inbox with an all-time collection of past and future items, including Prime Accesses and Exclusives, be them cosmetic or gear items. Yes, obviously Excal Prime is included.

And if DE doesn't do it I'll be mad. Like, reaaalllyyy mad. I might even talk badly about them on social media.

Edited by (PS4)Pauloluisx
  • Like 1

The only ones I want removed are the "play with clan / friends", but it has nothing to do with me preferring solo play. I just simply loathe the fake friends and friend services it promotes.. maybe I'm old fashioned, but to me friend is someone I want to be around for fun, not for rewards or other benefits.

• Like 9

Bland and unintrusive "challenges" because you know what? They aren't replacing "challenges" to begin with, they are replacing alerts that had nothing going for them.  You want a challenge? That's what arbitrations are for and so on and so on. Go there for a challenge. I personally feel all of these should be stuff you can complete just by playing your game, something running in the background you end up completing by the end of the week. More than that and you have to ask what was the point, you took away things that helped new players and made it so some of these "challenges" can't be completed by them? ok....

If DE came out and said "ok, this is for vets blah blah" then fine, throw all your boring annoying challenges out there but veteran players weren't relying on alerts, new players were. So the system should be heavily slanted in their direction, especially to make up for all the resources they're missing out on because this new system doesn't address that part of it at all.

7 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Stuff that allows us to play the game the way WE want. So, no Kill 150 enemies with Magnetic damage (who even uses Magnetic damage?), no Use 3 Forma. no Sculptures, no arbitrary challanges (play 5 hours of Kuva Survival without using life support towers, while in your underwear, at the North Pole, while livestreaming yourself, without any penguins appearing in shot, while cuddling a very hungry polar bear, during the end of the world). Anything that specifies to do something in a certain way is not allowing me to play the game the way I want, it's forcing me down a singular path with no alternatives. If we ain't given alternatives, that thing ain't fun to do.

So basically you don’t want any challenges or rewards at all.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

"Login successfully"

^ that's about the level of challenge most people want to get their free stuff. I haven't had a problem with Nightwave, I want the challenges to be harder but oh well.

I'd prefer it if the elites were harder less than tedious, honestly.

Like that 'Index but the enemy never scores' challenge. 3 Rounds was what stopped me doing that because, honestly, that's just padding. Otherwise, it's a fun and interesting challenge that takes an existing system and puts a spin on it. Kind of like that 'run an exterminate without being detected'.

Sure there are ways to cheese it, but even then you're being challenged to test your skills of understanding strategy and build-making by having to think of those methods instead of the method that's the most straightforward.

• Like 1

Just now, (XB1)FISTO ROBOT0 said:

So basically you don’t want any challenges or rewards at all.

Define reward. Cause I have yet to feel like I've been rewarded by Nightwave, and it's been 6 bloody weeks. After all the work this PoS system asked me to put it, all the time it asked me to waste, if that Syandana and Armor set ain't better than Riv Elite, I'm gonna be even more pissed than I am now, and if you follow my post history, you'll see I'm pretty goddamn pissed at Nigthwave.

18 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Yeah because "Do a few missions" and "Swap to another element for maybe two missions at most" completely dominates all our time and is a huge deviation from "just playing the game"

Next thing you know, they'll be asking us to run fissures and participate in Invasions!  How dare they force me to play the exact same mission I was already going to play but in a slightly different format!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vox_Preliator said:

Yeah because "Do a few missions" and "Swap to another element for maybe two missions at most" completely dominates all our time and is a huge deviation from "just playing the game"

Next thing you know, they'll be asking us to run fissures and participate in Invasions!  How dare they force me to play the exact same mission I was already going to play but in a slightly different format!

It's not "Do a few missions", it's "Do a few missions THIS SPECIFIC WAY". I have no problem with "Do 5 spy missions", "Do 10 fissures" or whatever, but when they specify to do something a specific way, that's when the system can piss off. Same for "challenges" that rely on RNG (Ayatans and Amber Stars that never drop) or that make me use my own bloody resources for no good reason.

Oh and, you may play relics and invasions, I generally am not. But once again, since those challenges don't specify S#&$ like "Play 5 Corpus VS Grineer Defense invasions", I'm fine with them, cause Phorid exists, so I ain't wasting my time when I could be doing something a lot more productive and profitable.

• Like 2

Well, now that there are more replies it's easier to picture the point I'll paint next. Apparently, based on replies not only from this post but from all which came before, the general consensus seems to be "No challenge is acceptable". Why? Because most of the replies are personal opinions and some people like some challenges and can't stand other challenges, with other people being the opposite., which translates to "Only the challenges I want", which in turn also translates to "No challenges whatsoever".

• Some people affirm that they like doing it with friends and "kill x enemies", but they don't want "fill ayatans";
  • Some don't mind farming for the ayatans, but god please don't make them "kill x enemies" and "play with others".

So we're in a vicious cycle where people complain and nitpick all the time about any given challenge, but still want challenges, the ones that are catered towards them. Funny, no?

Though even with this statement I believe DE will remove the ones that don't make any logical sense on the next season, namely the Friends one (because getting fake friends to delete them is solo with extra steps) and "forma x times", because not everyone has gear available to forma at all times and if they forma something without need then it's pointless work just to potentially ruin a build. Pretty much all others, even the 1h ones, ayatans, kill x enemies, search plants, etc. are fair game. One thing is enforcing mechanics that seemingly only end-up cluttering or damaging a player's progress for nothing, another thing is to demand players to actually play the game, and lazyness is a choice for that.

Sidenote: Up until now I didn't mind a single challenge. Of course the bounties one could be reduced to be more in-line time-wise with other elites, the friends one it's just a matter of sending a request but I agree it's quite pointless since people who play with friends will already do that and solo people are just being forced to do something pointless in the grander scheme. That's my neutral stance, and it's about it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Pauloluisx said:

Well, now that there are more replies it's easier to picture the point I'll paint next. Apparently, based on replies not only from this post but from all which came before, the general consensus seems to be "No challenge is acceptable". Why? Because most of the replies are personal opinions and some people like some challenges and can't stand other challenges, with other people being the opposite., which translates to "Only the challenges I want", which in turn also translates to "No challenges whatsoever".

• Some people affirm that they like doing it with friends and "kill x enemies", but they don't want "fill ayatans";
  • Some don't mind farming for the ayatans, but god please don't make them "kill x enemies" and "play with others".

So we're in a vicious cycle where people complain and nitpick all the time about any given challenge, but still want challenges, the ones that are catered towards them. Funny, no?

Though even with this statement I believe DE will remove the ones that don't make any logical sense on the next season, namely the Friends one (because getting fake friends to delete them is solo with extra steps) and "forma x times", because not everyone has gear available to forma at all times and if they forma something without need then it's pointless work just to potentially ruin a build. Pretty much all others, even the 1h ones, ayatans, kill x enemies, search plants, etc. are fair game. One thing is enforcing mechanics that seemingly only end-up cluttering or damaging a player's progress for nothing, another thing is to demand players to actually play the game, and lazyness is a choice for that.

Sidenote: Up until now I didn't mind a single challenge. Of course the bounties one could be reduced to be more in-line time-wise with other elites, the friends one it's just a matter of sending a request but I agree it's quite pointless since people who play with friends will already do that and solo people are just being forced to do something pointless in the grander scheme. That's my neutral stance, and it's about it.

Kill enemies is ok, but kill enemies with xxx damage is bad.

You should stop reading things as you want it to be.

I don't have any major issues, so here are minor complaints:

• Wish instead of 3 full sortie runs, 10 bounties, etc it was less. Stuff farmable in one session if we want would be good for weekend warriors.
    • More so about 10x bounties and such things, just cutting down on repetition of the same mission we don't care about would be nice. 3x like with other mission types is a good spot I think
  • Endless challenges (which I LOVE by the way) shouldn't be multiplayer as well. This is more so because of my particular circumstances; I'm not very healthy and while I love challenging endless gameplay, I often cannot do it in teams anymore because I have to get up and use the bathroom a lot. So being able to pause is essential. So I'm cool with a 1hr survival challenge, but doing it solo would be good so I can get up if I need to. I can do them in a team if I'm feeling good, but that's not always a given. And I'm sure I'm not the only one in such a situation.
  • I wish challenges in general were less "kill x enemies with y element" or "do 3 captures" and more "complete a capture in under 45s", or "survive til rotation C in arbitration with a team member dying". More challenges, less "play for a while doing some random stuff"
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Test-995 said:

Kill enemies is ok, but kill enemies with xxx damage is bad.

You should stop reading things as you want it to be.

Why is it bad? Why shouldn't you learn that certain types of damage are better for specific enemies? Because most of the time I'm on an Enhanced Shield Sortie I'm surrounded by low and high mastery people (no kidding, like 80% of the time) and they have a hard time killing the Corpus. Because they apparently don't know that Magnetic is specially for those situations. And what's the trade-off? All you have to do is swap out that toxin mod on your build for an ice one, so that instead of the beloved corrosive you have magnetic.

And even for nightwave purposes it's just that swap-in/swap-out, do a couple of missions like relics, low level, and boom. Done. "With x element" is still viable in my book, and if people can't be bothered to use the build tabs they so much ask for that's not DE's fault.