The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What about solo players?

TioMegaManX

30 minutes ago, --Brandt-- said:

Everything is more than possible that's currently in game though. Sure DE keeps trying to push co-op *cough* the horrible choice of "with friends" Nightwave tasks *cough cough*

The worst thing solo is leveling. It's not like we can go to a defense mission and AFK while other players level weapons for you. We actually have to level them ourselves. I would be MR24, maybe MR25 if the leveling process wasn't so dull (currently have 61 weapons built that I need to level, but I just let them sit there for months and months)

They shouldn't afk anyway let's be honest.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vortuna said:

One of the things we usually can't do solo (and quick) is leveling weapons and companions.

One of my wishlist is for our frame kill affinity to go to our weapons and companions so we don't have to face the shenanigans of hydron and ESO (mainly, early extractions).

10 minutes for one weapon from 0 to 30 in solo mode...
I would say this is quick enough.
Just use Equinox or Ivara and a silenced weapon. (Shotguns are a bit tricky, but not that big of deal...)

Edited by WhiteMarker

I started playing this game again last weekend with a mate and was really enjoying it playing as a duo. He has been away for the rest of the week, so I have been playing solo mostly. Every time I decide to join a public group I seem to constantly get matched up with really high MR players who are just obliterating everything on the map. This then makes the experience for me quite boring as well I am not doing anything at all. Sure if I was trying to farm stuff this wouldn't bother me at all, but I am really just trying to get through the quest enjoy the game.

So I mostly play solo. I know alot of the missions are designed around cooperative play but when it becomes quite one sided with doing work you feel a bit useless and not learning either.

Edited by DL3MA
missing stuff

27 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

They shouldn't afk anyway let's be honest.

Agreed people shouldn't, but that's all that shared affinity really promotes. Go to Hydron, Helene or ESO, make sure a Saryn or Volt is there and just take a frame to survive while someone else does the killing, in 10-15 waves or 2-3 zones of ESO your weapons are maxed and the process repeats.

Just now, --Brandt-- said:

Agreed people shouldn't, but that's all that shared affinity really promotes. Go to Hydron, Helene or ESO, make sure a Saryn or Volt is there and just take a frame to survive while someone else does the killing, in 10-15 waves or 2-3 zones of ESO your weapons are maxed and the process repeats.

If I do end up doing ESO for levelling a weapon I use a max buff rhino to help increase their kill speed since they're farming focus while levelling my weapon for me.

I'm a mostly Solo Player who usually only PUGs for their own benefit (radshares etc.), but there are pros and cons to both modes. Solo Extraction was a really nice addition to survival because now I can enjoy PUG survivals without me or others being dragged along against our will.

I would say DE actually do a pretty decent job of Making Solo work, definitely glad it's an option rather than this being yet another "online only" experience.

One of the things we usually can't do solo (and quick) is leveling weapons and companions.

Equinox & Ivara would like to have a word with you.

One of my wishlist is for our frame kill affinity to go to our weapons and companions so we don't have to face the shenanigans of hydron and ESO (mainly, early extractions).

I really wish they would revamp the Affinity system.
When a Weapon/Frame/Companion is at the cap they should no longer siphon affinity. Additionally, Companions should gain Affinity from their owner's kills equal to that of a Weapon.
The fact that the companion system literally encourages players to NOT kill & instead leech off the kilsl of their teammates is mind-boggling.
I tested this with some friends. Took a Moa from 0 to 30 in 1 Hydron group by literally not killing anything, I just protected the pod.
Finished the mission with a total of 36 kills. Moa went from 0 to 30...
Finish a Hydron with 567kills Moa goes from 0 to 12...
*facepalms*

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

Other games frequently punish Solo players as much as possible (Which really boggles me...I mean. Why? You should welcome all players.)

Doesn’t fit to F2P business model. Most useless for the game is Solo player not willing to spend money.

I mix solo and public quite a lot, depending upon how I'm feeling. I rarely ever play a Spy or Rescue mission in public, because I get tired of speedrunners mucking it up. I enjoy more static missions in public, such as Defence, as it feels good to help each other out against an attacking horde.

Steve said in a recent Mogamu interview that a future rework of non-surface missions will attempt to add in "a bit more ninja", so hopefully that will reward those who prefer to do something other than speedrunning and that would improve things for solo players too IMHO.

I only like this game because it’s playable solo but not designed to be solo.  Strange?  Let me explain.  

Most solo games are too easy, except for the notable exceptions.  I have nothing against being easy and I don’t want brutal difficulty, but I find many recent games don’t hold my attention because there’s not even a tiny amount of challenge.  

Now here’s Warframe.   It’s not balanced for solo, although it’s not designed to be unsoloable either.   Everything can be soloed.  Most of the star chart is not hard to solo.  However, it is not TOO easy either (for people at appropriate MR, gear, obviously).  You can easily fail a mission if you don’t pay attention, either due to the objective failing or losing all revives.  In general, when you come to some “new” content- something you have no experience with - you are not guaranteed to succeed.  It may even take a few attempts.  But once you get the knack, that content stops being difficult and you feel like you achieved something.  

For example: Defense, Survival, Excavation, Hijack, Defection, Interception (everything except Capture and Exterminate) were all missions that seemed “impossible” to solo the very first time I tried them, but once you do it once the difficulty plummets.  Even now, when I rarely fail these missions, I still periodically fail them if my attention slips.   

What I am saying is that Warframe has what I believe to be almost perfect balance for solo play.  It’s not too easy, it’s not too hard, and you feel a definite sense of accomplishment as things that gave you trouble become easy.  

(Contrast this to co-op play.  My experience is that co-op is just 4 people trying to outdo each other for kills.  It’s not challenging, it’s not fun for me.  Admittedly I don’t have any “friends” in game.  I can see it being fun with people you trust and can communicate with.  I just don’t know how to get to that.  I just have the random group experience.  )

My point is that Warframe is my second favorite game of all time and it’s mainly due to the balance for solo play being not the primary objective of the developers.  Because if they did make it “solo friendly” I expect it would be boring.  (Not that it’s solo unfriendly, it’s just not designed to have mass-market appeal to solo players. )

• Like 2

Hey, I thought it's better to warm up a cold thread than creating a redundant new one: I am in a position where I prefer to play solo. I might get to cooperative some time, but at the moment it is simply not in the least appealing to me, to play cooperative (I have personal reasons for that, they might be stupid... but hey, this is about fun, and atm I have more fun solo).

It is stated frequently that you can (more or less) solo the game, what I read as: You can play the avarage day to day stuff but might need coop in end game or for very special or exceptional hard content.

But I don't see a slight chance to solo interception missions. I really despair at this, because in my understanding the unlocking of nodes is pretty basic - and I have no idea, how to do this. Is there something I am missing, because otherwise I would say, this are clearly road blocks for solo game in basic content. This is not to be meant as a complaint, if the game is designed that way, then it probably means the game is simply not designed for me. Which would be a bummer - I am hardly post the login screen with my 40+ hours but so far I am really thrilled.

1 minute ago, FritzDreck said:

Hey, I thought it's better to warm up a cold thread than creating a redundant new one: I am in a position where I prefer to play solo. I might get to cooperative some time, but at the moment it is simply not in the least appealing to me, to play cooperative (I have personal reasons for that, they might be stupid... but hey, this is about fun, and atm I have more fun solo).

It is stated frequently that you can (more or less) solo the game, what I read as: You can play the avarage day to day stuff but might need coop in end game or for very special or exceptional hard content.

But I don't see a slight chance to solo interception missions. I really despair at this, because in my understanding the unlocking of nodes is pretty basic - and I have no idea, how to do this. Is there something I am missing, because otherwise I would say, this are clearly road blocks for solo game in basic content. This is not to be meant as a complaint, if the game is designed that way, then it probably means the game is simply not designed for me. Which would be a bummer - I am hardly post the login screen with my 40+ hours but so far I am really thrilled.

@DatDarkOne

Your people need you. 

1 minute ago, FritzDreck said:

Solo interceptions are the easiest way to do them. The game can only spawn a limited number of enemies per player. If you don't kill them and instead control them in some way (slowva, chaos, noise arrow cheese, repelling bastilie, dangledome, lantern, catastasis), you can pick your nose while the mission plays itself. The enemies even go out of their way and all rush the same point so you can easily group them up and don't need to hunt them all around the map.

• Like 1

I am one of a very small group of players i suspect. 

I have never been in a clan, I dont even have my own clan. I have done quite well so far and have got up to a respectable MR 22 since 2015 and on the whole have had a great time. There are some things I miss out on, and some things that I simply can not get without clan access, but thinking outside the box theres usually other solutions.

I do wonder if its time for me to get involved in clan things, but I suspect I will feel restricted into doing things for the clan rather than things for myself so for now I am not looking to change anything.

6 minutes ago, lnfine said:

Solo interceptions are the easiest way to do them. The game can only spawn a limited number of enemies per player. If you don't kill them and instead control them in some way (slowva, chaos, noise arrow cheese, repelling bastilie, dangledome, lantern, catastasis), you can pick your nose while the mission plays itself. The enemies even go out of their way and all rush the same point so you can easily group them up and don't need to hunt them all around the map.

Can confirm. I took my Nova built for slow to Xini and solo'd it for 3 rounds. 

If you have specters it can help, aslong as you have a variety to drop down.

1 minute ago, beercritch said:

I am one of a very small group of players i suspect. 

I have never been in a clan, I dont even have my own clan. I have done quite well so far and have got up to a respectable MR 22 since 2015 and on the whole have had a great time. There are some things I miss out on, and some things that I simply can not get without clan access, but thinking outside the box theres usually other solutions.

I do wonder if its time for me to get involved in clan things, but I suspect I will feel restricted into doing things for the clan rather than things for myself so for now I am not looking to change anything.

If you ever feel the need to do the clan thing, look me up. 

My clan has everything completed and don't ask members to do anything beyond bring civil, if they choose to interact.  Solo players are welcome to jump in and grab all the BP's they want and bail again, no commitments. 

Just now, MagPrime said:

If you ever feel the need to do the clan thing, look me up. 

My clan has everything completed and don't ask members to do anything beyond bring civil, if they choose to interact.  Solo players are welcome to jump in and grab all the BP's they want and bail again, no commitments. 

Thats good to know and very generous - thanks for the offer :)