Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suspended from all chat channels - Reason unclear??

scorp123_CH

Warframe's support team pointed me to the forums, so here we go:

2 days ago I was suspended from all chat channels. Probably some automagical action by the kickbot, as human chat moderators usually give you a fair warning to stop doing whatever it is you're doing (e.g. spamming, being way off-topic, etc.) before they take action. There was no warning in my case and I don't even know the reason, there was no message and no PM telling me what I did wrong.

There was a discussion going on in EU Region about kavats and cats, some people e.g. said they wished they could make their kavat look a bit more like their real-life cat. The very last sentence I typed in and apparently the one that got me suspended was this one:

"My kitty is a Maine Coon mix, she looks like a cross between a lynx and a squirrel  ❤️  "

Since typing in that sentence I am suspended from all chat channels. It's been 2 days now and according to Support it's possible that this is a 2-week suspension.

So ... calling a young cat a "kitty" will get you banned from chat now?? Really?? 🙀

I am aware of that one word that exists in the English language (starts with "p" ...) that technically also could be used to describe both cats and female genitalia but I wasn't using that one. But given that e.g. Hello Kitty exists I was under the impression that "kitty" is a 'safe' word to use?

And if that wasn't the reason for my chat suspension I'd really love to know what I did wrong.

I wasn't engaging in spamming, I wasn't trying to bait the kickbot or the chat moderators in any way. I've been here long enough to know that writing some really dumb things such as calling certain Warframes "a trap" are a guaranteed way to get oneself removed from chat (yes, I understand why this is being done). I was doing nothing of that sort. Saying something relatively harmless such as "my kitty" should not be automatically over-interpreted in such a negative way and cause a chat ban!? That's totally excessive. It's an "overkill".

Imagine players were talking about their armor customizations and one player has created a pink + white coloured Rhino... now if the other player comments on that, they are at risk of getting themselves removed from chat for up to two weeks?? "Hey your Rhino looks like an oversized HELLO KITTY ..."    <==  baaaam, banned!?

And if that wasn't the reason and it is me who is misinterpreting things ... well, in that case maybe the kickbot should inform the players what they got suspended for? And in other games they tell you exactly for how long you are suspended. So ... maybe add this too?

Examples:

Your access to chat has been suspended. Reason: Spamming. By who: Kickbot. Time remaining: 8 hours 45 minutes.

Your access to chat has been suspended. Reason: Offensive language. Trigger: "BadWordHere". By who: Kickbot. Time remaining: 2 days.

Your access to chat has been suspended. Reason: Kicked by moderator. By who: ModNickNameHere. Time remaining: 15 minutes.

The current system very much lacks transparency of any kind, especially the automated systems that are in place and the various words that trigger them could very much use an overhaul.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, scorp123_CH said:

So ... calling a young cat a "kitty" will get you banned from chat now?? Really??

It is unlikely to be that. Suspensions are apparently only seven days, assuming you do not make a habit of it.

Spoiler

Technically, 'Coon' can be used as a derogatory term. Given that the kickbot ignores context that is likely the issue. Your context was perfectly fine.

Edited by krc473
  • Like 2

Maybe one day people will understand that if [DE]Whoever doesn't know, we won't know either. No idea why they keep redirecting people to the forums (guess it's a polite "I don't care, I don't know, I don't want to look into that"), but you do realize we're all players, as you are ?

• Like 4

Pretty sure the first two responses to this thread got it right. I am pretty sure I recall a similar occurrence with that exact word triggering the bot. Kinda feels like in situations like these, there should be a message or at the very least...when a higher up looks into it they should get to see what triggered the bot, examine the context, and free a potentially innocent mix up from the suspension. 

4 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

but you do realize we're all players, as you are ?

In her mail [DE]Liane said that DE devs regularly look into the forums and even bother to read (certain?) threads. So I was actually hoping for that, but feedback from other players certainly can't hurt either. But no, I don't really expect miracles. The lack of transparency and quality regarding chat moderation has been an on-going topic for quite some while, there are several YouTube videos out there regarding this.

9 minutes ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

I'm guessing it's the word between "Maine" and "mix" that was picked up by a bot.

uhhm, ok ... 🤔  I honestly have no clue what that could even mean and how it could be interpreted in such a way that you could earn a 2-week ban for that. I'll have to google that one... (sorry, not a native English speaker)

10 minutes ago, scorp123_CH said:

In her mail [DE]Liane said that DE devs regularly look into the forums and even bother to read (certain?) threads. So I was actually hoping for that, but feedback from other players certainly can't hurt either. But no, I don't really expect miracles. The lack of transparency and quality regarding chat moderation has been an on-going topic for quite some while, there are several YouTube videos out there regarding this.

I personally suspect it's a placeholder excuse to close a ticket. Of course, this is most likely me being pessimistic about DE's support. 

I sent an email asking about wolf mechanics once, and if it was the intention to purposely gimp our loadouts for an expected wolf spawn until we got wolf sledge. 

I got a reply about RNG drops, and to 'come to the forums'. 

Edited by sleepychewbacca

6 minutes ago, scorp123_CH said:

uhhm, ok ... 🤔  I honestly have no clue what that could even mean and how it could be interpreted in such a way that you could earn a 2-week ban for that. I'll have to google that one... (sorry, not a native English speaker)

One of the more archaic racial slurs used against black people afaik.

I don't personally agree with it being on the kickbot list.

5 minutes ago, scorp123_CH said:

Oh wow. 🙄   Ok, didn't even know that one. But if so many trigger words are added... then the chat basically turns into a minefield and makes it borderline unusable... 

Tbf, if it was lenient then people would just find loopholes to abuse. 

• Like 1

So instead of some people abusing the system, the system abuses innocent people, there's no perfect solution when it comes to automation, but this is easy to call the worse of the two choices, IMO. The phrase, "better to let a killer go than lock up an innocent man" comes to mind.

3 minutes ago, stormy505 said:

Tbf, if it was lenient then people would just find loopholes to abuse. 

That's what chat moderators are for? To me "coon" is extremely obscure, I wasn't even aware of it until now. And I have to assume that in that case "cracker" is a trigger word too and typing something harmless like  "No sorry, can't join your mission now, I am eating some crispy rice crackers ... " can get you suspended too? It's overkill.

Probably there is a hidden native tribe living deep within the Andes' remote valleys, that finds "coon" offensive for whatever religious reasons they have. 

Therefore you got executed.

DE logic

Best advice I can give: turn region chat off and find a better place to chat. The chat and DE's attitude towards chat moderation entails puke hazard.

Edited by Mr.SpookSpook
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sylonus said:

So instead of some people abusing the system, the system abuses innocent people, there's no perfect solution when it comes to automation, but this is easy to call the worse of the two choices, IMO. The phrase, "better to let a killer go than lock up an innocent man" comes to mind.

Yes and for some reason DE and their white knights defend this practice. Somehow every other game ever has managed to function without such a censorbot.

29 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

One of the more archaic racial slurs used against black people afaik.

I don't personally agree with it being on the kickbot list.

Neither do I, as it's exceedingly uncommon outside of North America.

Google trends seems to be suggesting that even in the US, the term is fairly uncommon, except when used in the name of an actress, the cat breed, a city, and South Park. 

So it appears that even in the place of origin, it is significantly more archaic than current, and has multiple innocent uses that are more significantly more common than the slur. 

1 minute ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Neither do I, as it's exceedingly uncommon outside of North America.

Google trends seems to be suggesting that even in the US, the term is fairly uncommon, except when used in the name of an actress, the cat breed, a city, and South Park. 

So it appears that even in the place of origin, it is significantly more archaic than current, and has multiple innocent uses that are more significantly more common than the slur. 

It's also extremely bothersome when it's both the name of a town in Australia, as well as a brand of cheeses that originated in that same town, and then certain people turn around and start whining that it's racist.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the context, it has nothing to do with the implications, and quite frankly the """bad""" version of it is so obscure anyway that getting in a huff or actually going zero-context ban on the mere mention is just unacceptably stupid.

The censure bot in warframe...

Is sometimes hilarious.

I want name a weapon Janus.

"Unauthorized name cause vulgarity !"

OK...🤔

I suppose that this deity is far to close to some natural cavity name.😁

And it's even more surprising when the english is not your native language and when bot censure some obscure allusion from a specific district slang of a unknown city.