Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ladies and Gentlemen.. Warframe on Linux at 4k60, max settings.

GloriousEggroll

Preface:

Some of you may know me, some may not. My name is GloriousEggroll. In the world of linux, I'm a Wine Staging maintainer, Certified Engineer for Red Hat, and a dabbler/tinkerer of sorts.

Many moons ago, I made this post:

I'll start with previous and current problems:

Initially, warframe was in rough shape. The dx9 renderer in wine never worked properly, the audio was broken on x64 bit, and the 32 bit client was getting deprecated. The launcher would go into an infinite loop because it couldnt update itself, and to this day it still fails after about 40% unless you disable aggressive and bulk downloads, in which case if you do, the download will complete, but instead of a progress bar, you will get "Checking for Content" with anyone's guess as to when it will finish.

Now, the solutions:

While it was "OK'd to use proton/wine in order to play, we never really got a fix for the launcher, or the audio, or a native vulkan renderer that was once talked about.
Yet, where there's a will, there's a way.

1. Before proton existed, I did all of the Warframe bug reporting for DXVK, so that warframe had DX11->Vulkan translation. Then, Proton came along, and Valve hired that DXVK dev. Yay.

2. Next, I started working with Ethan Lee, creator of FAudio, and did all of the bug reporting on Warframe to him, as well as getting the mingw build working and periodically submitting pull requests. Next thing you know, We now had both DX11->Vulkan translation, and 100% open source WMA audio decoding. And then hey guess what, Ethan Lee also got hired by valve, and proton added FAudio. 

3. Lastly, I built a replacement launcher for the Standalone version of Warframe, that allows users using lutris to download and play the game without issue and with the same options the official launcher uses.

4. Recently, I also came across a patch on the wine mailing list, which hasn't been accepted into mainline, but I was able to get it into wine-staging, so now the infinite Launcher loop fix is included in wine staging and will be in the next 4.6 wine-staging release. 

I doubt [DE]Rebecca or anyone remembers me from GuardianCon 2018, I was one of a million faces, and to be honest, Linux isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea when it comes to a conversation, and I'm probably a pretty weird person. Yet I persisted.

So, here we are. Warframe, running at 4k60 on a Radeon Vega VII, in Linux, at max settings (Note, I did turn off Depth of Field, Motion Blur, and Blur reflections because the blur effect bothers me):

Currently I maintain a customized proton build for proton which has patches that allow Warframe to run in steam, found here:
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases

As well as an easy click installer that allows the standalone version to run in lutris, found here:
https://lutris.net/games/warframe/

And in case you don't like lutris, I have a standalone installer/Launcher (which lutris uses as well), found here:
https://gitlab.com/GloriousEggroll/warframe-linux

Any of these methods today will get you up and running on linux no matter what distro you are on. I continue to maintain them all regularly.
My discord is linked throughout those links. I have a community built around it that is usually happy to try and help people get the game running on linux.

As for DE, we noticed you recently added this:

unknown.png

it's a small step, but it's appreciated. Just know that us linux folk are doing everything we can to be self-sustaining and run your game without trying to bother you for unsupported game fixes, because even though our platform is unsupported, we do enjoy the game you've created. Anything you can inadvertently do to help us out, is appreciated. IE launcher general fixes, native vulkan, or audio that doesnt use WMA/windows specific codecs. It's a far fetched thing to ask and I'm probably dreaming. Just throwing my two cents out there and letting people know, if you're on linux, you're not alone!

Edited by GloriousEggroll
  • Like 16

Started using @GloriousEggroll's Proton build to play Warframe on my sh** laptop about 6 months ago and removed Windows shortly afterwards (I used it only for Warframe and needed the SSD space).
There have been rough edges (hello Fortuna crashes...) but now it just works, as simple as that.
So thanks @GloriousEggroll❤️

And thanks DE for thinking a bit about us as well. ❤️

It's kind of weird to see both Valve and Google investing on Linux to wrestle away Microsoft's control over videogames, but I'll take it. ^_^

Edited by xarvh

Oh, hey, awesome work on your part.

I'm using the standalone script (no lutris) with some modifications for DRI_PRIME (laptop) and an updated dxvk (nvidia regression doesn't bother me because AMD).

It's all fine, but with the new ability mouseover thingies I'm having consistent crashes with certain frames. For example, banshee previews work, but volt previews are crashing the game.

It doesn't bother me that much, and there aren't open issues on your warframe-linux gitlab page regarding this problem, so I didn't bother reporting it, but since you are posting here anyway, can you confirm that this is reproducible, or maybe there are some known issues leading to this behaviour (yes, it also breaks with dxvk used by default script, what motivated me to try updating dxvk was trying to fix the issue).

Ah, logs show nothing particularly interesting, just general GPF by the game, and enabling the less obnoxious wine debug channels doesn't show anything interesting either.

5 minutes ago, DukeNix said:

Wow. If warframe starts to work well on Linux i will probably delete windows on my system lol

Do you notice a lot of performance loss? I don't have the best rig actually.

It does work well on Linux.
No noticeable performance loss on my oldish laptop, but that will depend largely on how well supported is your GFX card.

22 минуты назад, lnfine сказал:

It's all fine, but with the new ability mouseover thingies I'm having consistent crashes with certain frames. For example, banshee previews work, but volt previews are crashing the game.

if i remeber correctly this crash only on old wine versions(<4.3) where faudio build as standalone COM wrapper

2 minutes ago, MEXAHOTABOP said:

if i remeber correctly this crash only on old wine versions(<4.3) where faudio build as standalone COM wrapper

Ah, this might be the problem, I'm running staging 4.1.

Did they include nine into official staging?

41 minutes ago, MEXAHOTABOP said:

Okay, I updated wine to staging 4.5, didn't help. Fetched new FAudio from gitlab and replaced the old one (via included faudio install script) - didn't help.

35 минут назад, lnfine сказал:

Okay, I updated wine to staging 4.5, didn't help. Fetched new FAudio from gitlab and replaced the old one (via included faudio install script) - didn't help.

you need staging without xaudio2-revert patch and use builtin faudio version

Edited by MEXAHOTABOP

8 minutes ago, ZarTham said:

rid us of your stupidity and gtfo

if knowingly having  (anything that works to get the job done) in this case windows< and one has to go through all that trouble to EMULATE and build a shadow to run programs just as or simulate what windows does what do you call such a person(s). kinda ironic isn't it when you think about your hard work that will more or less be redundant in a windows update or a game's update and you have to go through all that work again trying to get your program(s) to work. and you have the gall to call others stupid.

37 minutes ago, MEXAHOTABOP said:

you need staging without xaudio2-revert patch and use builtin faudio version

Oh, I grabbed a staging version with working native xaudio and removed xaudio libs from wine library substitutions, and it works now. Thanks

Great job Eggroll. :clap:

I'm sure Linux users (who are also Warframe fans) everywhere appreciate your efforts.

I recently took the plunge and bought Linux Zorin...which at some point I will get round to installing on a second SSD...mostly out of curiosity and an increasing dislike of Windows. If you ever get around to creating a launcher for that I will be a very happy bunny. 

Don't feed the troll guys.

While you're here @GloriousEggroll and just out of curiosity, can you tell us a bit about...

• What the biggest problems/roadblocks were
  • If there have been any problems with different distributions, and maybe what they were
  • How you go about solving problems when they crop up

I've used Wine for a few things in the past but only have a laptop running mainly Linux atm, all the other systems are in virtual machines on a Windows PC. So while I haven't done a lot with Wine so far, I'm certainly interested in hearing a bit more about it.

Can you help? Im still using esync-protonified-pba 3.18 with dxvk 0.96 because newer versions seem not to work. Basically default lutris warframe setup. But I still get cracking audio. 

I want to ask, how to install warframe with steam on linux? It would be cool idea to have it. 

6 hours ago, Kontrollo said:

Don't feed the troll guys.

While you're here @GloriousEggroll and just out of curiosity, can you tell us a bit about...

• What the biggest problems/roadblocks were

Initially not having the game running in wined3d for dx11. Until DXVK came along. Once that was clear the biggest issue was Audio, as 64 bit xaudio2 was causing random and frequent crasshes. Once we got things sorted in faudio things were a bit easier. The launcher has always been a problem but there have also always been ways around it. The other two not so much

• If there have been any problems with different distributions, and maybe what they were

Debian. Because debian ships with very old libraries and not many people know to use debian-testing for updated packages. Often times even debian testing is missing up to date gpu drivers, which are almost a requirement for DXVK.

• How you go about solving problems when they crop up

Log.everything. If there's a way to log it, log it. Then search the logs for things such as "fail" "error", or any libraries/dlls that might fail to load. Use wine's debug flags to log specific things such as audio. Record your findings if possible and show them to people in charge of projects, this way they can witness something if you dont understand it, and they may have an answer.  I've helped debug things in DXVK, wine, FAudio, mesa drivers on linux, and much more. Logs are vital to troubleshooting, the more detailed the better.

I've used Wine for a few things in the past but only have a laptop running mainly Linux atm, all the other systems are in virtual machines on a Windows PC. So while I haven't done a lot with Wine so far, I'm certainly interested in hearing a bit more about it.

• Like 1