Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PoE Thumpers are causing bad behavior during bounties.

Ezhmo

Thumpers are causing serious problems during Plains bounties.

Players queue for a public Lv40-60 bounty and proceed to ignore all objectives, heading off solo to plink away at a Thumper while the rest of the team completes the bounty objectives.  Recently, these leechers have started mouthing off when asked to join the party and help earn their reward, making it clear they have zero desire to actually help.

I'm not sure how to fix this. Prevent Thumper spawns while a bounty chain is active? Individual "Abandoning Objective" tags that kick a leecher out of a group?  Some sort of "votekick" feature?  I'm all ears.  Right now, it's disgusting.

Abandoning objective would be bad because many times while I'm playing, someone goes to do another objective ASKING THE TEAM if he can, like "hey guys, I'll hunt thumpers, can you handle the bounty?" or "I'll solo the Teralyst for us while you do the bounty, ok?". And, of course, he marks the drops so the whole group can get the loot.

If you're going to queue up for a public session, you're going to have to accept the fact that you're going to run into players with different objectives and time constraints.

Try communicating with the group and get everyone to agree on an established course of action.
Alternatively, try the recruiting channel to get a group of like-minded players so you don't have this issue in the first place.

It doesn't make sense to complain about how your square pegs don't fit into round holes when you didn't ask for round pegs to begin with.

• Like 3

The high bounty is apparently the best way to get Thumpers to spawn and a single Mesa can do most of the bounty with some help from a second player, so why not be efficient and get people to hunt Thumpers while the Mesa slogs away?

11 minutes ago, Daiwulf said:

ASKING THE TEAM

You are correct, sometimes a team will coordinate Thumper kills well (do an objective, kill a thumper, repeat).  That's also why leeching can be such a problem -- the trolls can point to loot and say "look, I helped!" when the entire goal was to complete the bounty.

1 minute ago, FLSH_BNG said:

It doesn't make sense to complain about how your square pegs don't fit into round holes when you didn't ask for round pegs to begin with.

I thought queuing up for the square-hole objective meant you were a square-peg looking for other square-pegs, no recruit chat required.  I'd just as soon ask why round-peg Thumper-leeches are queuing up for the square-hole party, but we all know they just want the bounty rewards without working for them.

5 minutes ago, Ezhmo said:

You said it.  If I wanted to "slog away" solo, I'd solo.

You ignore the fact there is no necessity for all four players to do a bounty. As above said, should you queue in pubs, you get anything.

The easiest way to prevent it is to make a separate "Thumper Hunt" bounty.  The issue is that you need to be running a bounty to encounter the higher end thumpers, you need the higher end thumpers to realistically get the weapon, and there's no bounty specifically for it. 

I think most players would be more then happy to just do that to hunt Thumpers rather then rain on anybody's bounty parade.  As it is now, you have to sign up to do something other then that to have any chance of fighting Thumpers and getting the weapon, so predictably, players do exactly that.

Edited by Phatose

4 minutes ago, Phatose said:

The easiest way to prevent it is to make a separate "Thumper Hunt" bounty.  The issue is that you need to be running a bounty to encounter the higher end thumpers, you need the higher end thumpers to realistically get the weapon, and there's no bounty specifically for it. 

I think most players would be more then happy to just do that to hunt Thumpers rather then rain on anybody's bounty parade.  As it is now, you have to sign up to do something other then that to have any chance of fighting Thumpers and getting the weapon, so predictably, players do exactly that.

Yeah, they need this. Or else I don't wanna join a level 60 bounty to be complained at by other players.

11 minutes ago, Phatose said:

separate "Thumper Hunt" bounty

Absolutely agreed.  That way, people can all do the thing they sign up to do.

I still don't think Thumpers should spawn at all during bounties, otherwise people will still try to leech bounty rewards while not contributing at all.

Edited by Ezhmo

I'd say the root of the problem, is that Squads don't belong in Open World areas with Open Objectives.

Look at Destiny for example, how they handle their open world areas: its just proximity based dynamic matchmaking. No Squad.

You can wander around the planet doing whatever you want, and if you come into range of a Public Event and kill things then see it thru the end you get credit. Or you can just keep going your own way and not get involved, won't get matchmade in.

No leeching, cause No Squad that provides rewards from across the map.

What about people who walk into range of a Public Event then do nothing? Come to think of it, I don't actually remember seeing that happen, ever... seemed like everyone was always having too much fun shooting stuff to want to slack off, like the activity itself was of as much value to the players as the potential rewards were... hmmmh, maybe DE should look into that aspect...

The Thumper thing doesn't bother me tbh, I always go in, when in public, with a setup so I can solo the bounty myself. I only ask that they drop a waypoint if they toast the thumper before the bounty is over.

Ofc I tend to communicate with my team even if they aren't listening, so if I'm on a thumper I'll mention it, and if someone wants me to ignore it, fine I will... at the end I'm on the thumper tho.

• 1 month later...

There have to be a votekick. To kick mr3 excalibur from tridolon hunts. To kick tards who are stealing datamasses and roam around the map to find insignias while the objective was a mobile defence. Or at least we have to have an "abandon squad" feature available any time.

• Like 1

Just make it a requirement for said player to stay within objective range for 50%+ of the time to actually obtain the bounty rewards, if he wants to spend his time hunting thumpers, let him miss out on the bounty. If those guys wanna hunt thumpers in a high tier bounty, well let them do it solo.