Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Auction house

SpongeCakeS

With the recent development of Warframe and the overall improvement of the user interface and player experience, it is time to talk about a way to trade without the need to sit on your orbiter and not playing the game.Today if I want to trade anything I have to sit in my orbiter or my dojo and spam the trade chat which is an absolute mess of text and the chance that you will find something you are looking for are pretty slim. And an auction house would solve this issue.

And it is not like we already have one. We just have to use an external website for it, that being Warframe market https://warframe.market/. But that still doesn't solve the issue. It still makes you sit around in the orbiter and instead of that I would much rather play the actual game rather than spend couple hours trading.

If we had an auction house in the game, the trading would happen overtime in the background. You just put the item up, with the price you want to sell it for and leave and forget couple weeks later you get platinum. And that is even if I had to pay let's say 10% platinum tax on the auction.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this. And possibly DE's take.

• Like 6

Trading houses are a great idea! However, I think the reasoning is that with ease of access more players would be trading, leading to an increase in trade supplies, which may cause a decrease in item value, which essentially inflates the value of platinum. Great for players, not so great for plat purchases since you could do more with less.

Because since trade plat just circulates between players, that means that DE gets nothing for it, to compensate for that, DE would need to increase/incentivize their platinum offerings/sinks: inventory slots, colors, decoratives, buy now options so that platinum would be drained from the economy and have to be purchased, and do so in ways that I doubt would prove popular.

Like creating things that cannot be traded, or that only have a .5% chance drop every 30 minutes from a unique and mind numbing game mode to inflate prices, or locking the grind for certain items behind a paywall.

Yes this essentially means you're paying a tax of time and inflated prices for DE's sake, but they have to make money to make the game.

So, until such a time as DE can secure a revenue stream in Warframe that isn't plat-locked, keeping the economy stable and by extension trade archaic makes sense.

All that said, I think there are things that could be done, and Lore/Scan integration Cephalon man made a passing comment about the inefficient state of trade recently regarding some riven tweaks, so maybe that's a touch of foreshadowing about changes to come?

• Like 1

We don't need an AH and the reason has been explained thousands of times already. What could work is a marketplace. Basically what warframe.market does but in game. I put my items for sale in the marketplace and the buyer (or vendor) must contact me to do the trade manually as we do now. That might work since it just means we're not spamming the trade chat to sell something or filtering (and hoping) to find something we need.

6 hours ago, Juin_Roet said:

Trading houses are a great idea! However, I think the reasoning is that with ease of access more players would be trading, leading to an increase in trade supplies, which may cause a decrease in item value, which essentially inflates the value of platinum. Great for players, not so great for plat purchases since you could do more with less.

Because since trade plat just circulates between players, that means that DE gets nothing for it, to compensate for that, DE would need to increase/incentivize their platinum offerings/sinks: inventory slots, colors, decoratives, buy now options so that platinum would be drained from the economy and have to be purchased, and do so in ways that I doubt would prove popular.

While accurate there is an added factor.  If the value of platinum between players (the key factor as I doubt DE will change market prices) it makes the incentive to buy it much more appealing as you get better value for spending the real money when trading.
This also leads to players getting access to plat more easily, typically subscribing less effort to re-accumulate, thus more likely to spend it frivolously.

Plat does circulate between players (thus DE only makes money when plat needs to be replaced/initially bought), but the current incentive is to horde plat because trading prices are higher or more cumbersome to accumulate. 
Typically this leads to spending on a single bigger trade, rather than multiple smaller ones.  Generally speaking multiple smaller trades means plat is spread across more players (than a single large purchase) with the potential for more plat to leave the system via market purchases. After all one player only requires a single purchase of a specific cosmetic, slot, potato or whatever for that piece of gear just the once.  While multiple players requires the same thing purchased for the same purpose multiple times (ie more people with more plat means more sales of a specific item).

EG. one trade of 1000 plat goes to one person that then spends 20p on a catalyst, removes 20p from the system, or 10 trades for 100 plat going to 10 different players each buying a catalyst at 20p removes 200p from the system, the latter the obviously better result for DE.

Sure there are issues adding an auction/trading system, but there was issues that DE dealt with just adding in trading (something they were initially reluctant with as well).  We are hard pressed to say that trading overall hasn't worked out better for DE overall.

Edited by Loswaith
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Juin_Roet said:

While I'm not an economist, wouldn't increasing trade without increasing the supply actually raise Platinum costs rather than lower them? Right now, a large part of an item's cost is the hassle of finding someone who'll sell it at a decent price. Warframe.market makes this less of a hassle by price sorting, but you're still hoping to find someone who'll respond to your chat within 15 minutes and is actually online and won't have sold the item or forgotten how to speak English by the time they respond. I know what general opinion is on an automated market so I know better than to suggest it. Just curious why people feel it'll lower costs rather than increase them.

55 minutes ago, (NSW)Belaptir said:

We don't need an AH and the reason has been explained thousands of times already. What could work is a marketplace. Basically what warframe.market does but in game. I put my items for sale in the marketplace and the buyer (or vendor) must contact me to do the trade manually as we do now. That might work since it just means we're not spamming the trade chat to sell something or filtering (and hoping) to find something we need.

Agreed completely. Warframe.market already exists and hasn't crashed the economy. An in-game version of this which DE have control over and can police for scammers sounds like a no-brainer to me. All it does is circumvent the archaic system of spamming Trade Chat or browsing laggy public spaces looking for upraised arms. It also helps cut down on scalpers and inform generally clueless traders by offering an overview of asking prices. All of this is stuff I feel should come as part of the game itself, rather than relying on players to google out-of-game sources.

• Like 3

These threads come along with clockwork regularity, and I will never not upvote them when I see them. People always tend to bring up the same old objections, all of which have been addressed and refuted in the past. An auction house is a fantastic idea and could hugely benefit the game if implemented correctly.

I trade fairly regularly and don't "sit in the orbiter not playing"

My technique is

1. post the item up for sale

2. play the game

3. wait for someone to message me

4. reply that i will be roughly X minutes while i finish this mission

5. perform trade

6. GOTO 2.

1 hour ago, IceFire909 said:

I trade fairly regularly and don't "sit in the orbiter not playing"

My technique is

2. play the game

4. reply that i will be roughly X minutes while i finish this mission

5. perform trade

6. GOTO 2.

2. play the game

4. reply within 15 seconds i will be roughly X minutes while i finish this mission

5. finish mission

6. message the person back only to find he's offline, ignored you, or replies "too slow, already bought"

7. GOTO 2

Fixed that for you.

2 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

These threads come along with clockwork regularity, and I will never not upvote them when I see them. People always tend to bring up the same old objections, all of which have been addressed and refuted in the past. An auction house is a fantastic idea and could hugely benefit the game if implemented correctly.

They have not been refuted.    That is a blatant lie.    It is like you saying waffles are better than pancakes.  I go find people who disagree who like panckaes more.  You find people that agree with you that waffles are better than pancakes and now you can claim you refuted it.  Brilliant.   

Edited by Chappie1975

44 minutes ago, Chappie1975 said:

They have not been refuted.    That is a blatant lie.

Let's see...

Prices would crash: Only if the AH were implemented very stupidly with no restrictions on how much and how often you can trade.

DE doesn't want to: DE didn't want to put vacuum on pets for years and years either.

It's impersonal: So's ctrl+v-ing "WTS [prime something] 100p" into trade chat every two minutes, or ctrl+v-ing the boilerplate message from warframe.market.

Did I forget anything?

On 2019-04-14 at 12:27 PM, WhiteMarker said:

Oh look... another one of those people that didn't know the forum has a search function... 

Oh look, another one of those people that don't know how community feedback works.

Edited by SordidDreams

4 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

Oh look, another one of those people that don't know how community feedback works.

OP didn't add anything new to the discussion. He just wrote what others wrote before him. He started a discussion we had multiple times. Even DE said no to an auction house multiple times.
What makes OP special? What about his thread is better? What about it will convince DE? Nothing. I thought so.

4 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

OP didn't add anything new to the discussion. He just wrote what others wrote before him. He started a discussion we had multiple times. Even DE said no to an auction house multiple times.
What makes OP special? What about his thread is better? What about it will convince DE? Nothing. I thought so.

DE kept saying no to vacuum on pets for years and years also. Do you think that was a change for the worse? Because if everyone who asked for it over the years had followed your advice instead, it would've never happened. If people who want change didn't speak up just because others had asked in vain before, nobody would ever say anything and nothing would ever change. If you don't want to speak up, that's up to you, but at least be grateful when others speak up on your behalf.

Edited by SordidDreams
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, SordidDreams said:

DE kept saying no to vacuum on pets for years and years also. If everyone who wants change didn't speak up just because someone else had asked in vain before, nobody would ever say anything and nothing would ever change.

They changed their mind about vacuum because of the numbers...
People almost exclusively used Carrier because of vacuum.
The talk about the auction house is something different. People still keep trading even without the auction house. If all people stopped using trade chat, and asked for an auction house, then we could talk about it...

30 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

They changed their mind about vacuum because of the numbers...
People almost exclusively used Carrier because of vacuum.
The talk about the auction house is something different. People still keep trading even without the auction house. If all people stopped using trade chat, and asked for an auction house, then we could talk about it...

The numbers had been there for years and years, it was player feedback that made DE pay attention to them. They have tons of different numbers and statistics, which ones they act on depends on which they consider important, and that in turn is influenced by what players tell them they care about. Why do you think they're talking about removing mod packs from the market? They've had numbers on them since the game came out, it was only the recent loot box controversy and consequent player feedback that made DE take a serious look at them. Before that players didn't care, and so neither did DE.

Edited by SordidDreams
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sylonus said:

2. play the game

4. reply within 15 seconds i will be roughly X minutes while i finish this mission

5. finish mission

6. message the person back only to find he's offline, ignored you, or replies "too slow, already bought"

7. GOTO 2

Fixed that for you.

What region are you in? sounds like you got shafted on player attitudes. ive had people willing to wait entire segments of defense missions and their response is typically "no worries"

1 hour ago, IceFire909 said:

What region are you in? sounds like you got shafted on player attitudes. ive had people willing to wait entire segments of defense missions and their response is typically "no worries"

NA, don't get me wrong, sometimes people are patient, but I would call it in the 25% range.

On 2019-04-15 at 8:08 AM, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

The value of items in game will diminish as an auction house would encourage a race to the bottom as most items in game with the exclusion of some arcanes and rivens are all common. 

Everyone making these auction house threads knows this and wants this system that promotes the devaluation of goods. 

Maybe people are tired of looking at Riven/Arcane prices, knowing that a supply exists, but prices are artificially high because the sales mechanism is too obtuse to be used well and encourage monied parties to hoard and resell. Though the Platinum economy has become somewhat detached from the USD conversion rate, sometimes I amuse myself by thinking 'Is this Riven really worth $200?' (or whatever it works out to.)

• Like 1

On 2019-04-15 at 4:18 PM, WhiteMarker said:

That's remarkably disingenuous and you know it. People trade using the existing system for the same reason people get shafted on poor ISP, power and water services. When there exist no meaningful alternatives, people will use whatever terrible option they have. Challenging them to stop if they want better service is fundamentally misunderstanding (or deliberately misrepresenting) the nature of a monopoly. Moreover, people a substantial amount of people trade using Warframe.market, an external consignment house using the most impersonal implementation available without actual development tools. The popularity of that site ought to be a clear indication of the popularity of the system.

*edit*
And before I forget - a lot of people trade using the game's Byzantine implementation because they don't know any better. Warframe.market is advertised nowhere in the game (because it's a third-party site). The only reason I know about it is I complained about trading on the Steam forums and angry people yelled the link to me. Discoverability for the site is excessively poor and relies on word of mouth, so of course lots of people will trade in the only way they know how.

Edited by Steel_Rook
  • Like 3

my eyes are rolling when i closing it . its so disgusting to read and scroll the chat , realy bloody eyes .

it can be better without an auctionhouse .

make a nicer interface somehow for trading.

nobody stands in maroons basar and holding hand in the air.

sorry but it has to be said, see you ingame