Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Auction house

SpongeCakeS

16 minutes ago, (PS4)Blade_runner4379 said:

I have seen other online games have these type of systems, which is what this idea is based off, and I think it could work well for warframe.

Then take what other games have available to trade in their AH and map them to the Warframe equivalent.

You will find this doesn't really work. You can generate near infinite amounts of everything in the game yourself, and in most cases need only one mod, one of a given weapon, one copy of a frame. The supply for this AH is therefore infinite. Prices will crater to whatever the floor is. To play as a F2P player, that is one that doesn't buy Plat at all, you will then have to sell more to purchase the things in the Market for Plat.

• Like 1

There's no discussion to be had.

An auction house should happen. We use a 3rd party website for trades. That says everything.

But DE won't put in an auction house because too many players aren't intelligent enough to say anything beyond "auction houses ruin games blargle blargle" without understanding the details on the VERY FEW examples where it has. (For example, D3 is NOT an example. Yet it's a popular go-to example. Lol.)

TLDR: An AH won't be implemented out of misplaced fear.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, 4thBro said:

We use a 3rd party website for trades.

The thing is, though... you don't. You and the buyer/seller have to be in the same place, at the same time in the game to trade. You have to go out of your way to do the trade. It doesn't say nearly as much as you think it does, so you might want to use your words to express what you think this says about the situation.

46 minutes ago, 4thBro said:

But DE won't put in an auction house because too many players aren't intelligent enough to say anything beyond "auction houses ruin games blargle blargle" without understanding the details on the VERY FEW examples where it has. (For example, D3 is NOT an example. Yet it's a popular go-to example. Lol.)

You are in the same boat, don't pretend you aren't.

48 minutes ago, 4thBro said:

TLDR: An AH won't be implemented out of misplaced fear.

When did players, specifically those who bother to make an account on the forums and then post, determine if something was going to happen with the game or not?

There was no AH to begin the game, there isn't one now and there's nothing to indicate there will be one. Maybe the devs know their game more than forum posters?

If Auction House is to introduced now (or more likely ingame version of warframe.market), then DE actually screwed up big time by not doing it way earlier because now the effect of market crash will be so dramatic it's ridiculous. But, I still believe it's such a huge quality of life change that's it's definitely worth considering. What DE needs to do is hire an actual economist with experience in similar market to analyze this situation and actually determine if the outcome is positive or not. DE opposes the idea of AH purely on artistic vision or ideology which is horrible to base your game economy around. This isn't your hobby garage project anymore.

That was for AH for mods, prime parts and non limited stuff... Riven Auction House though? 100% worth it and needed. I fail to see any negatives to it.

1 hour ago, peterc3 said:

There was no AH to begin the game, there isn't one now and there's nothing to indicate there will be one. Maybe the devs know their game more than forum posters?

Unless situation has changed from last year, DE has no employees with an economics degree. So everyone is pretty clueless about the situation. Devs included.

26 minutes ago, zoffmode said:

This isn't your hobby garage project anymore.

But it is their project. There is no greater expert on Warframe than DE. An economist isn't going to give them info they don't already know.

Just now, peterc3 said:

But it is their project. There is no greater expert on Warframe than DE. An economist isn't going to give them info they don't already know.

That is just so wrong on so many levels I wouldn't know where to start.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Then you don't know as much as you imply.

I don't imply I know much. I'm trying to look at it pragmatically, that's all. You're kinda hopeless if you actually believe what you said.

Let's just say... why do you think businesses hire consultants? It's not their projects after all. I suppose you're right. An expert's opinion in a very complicated field is worth absolutely nothing and can offer no insight. 

Edited by zoffmode
  • Like 1

Whether it needs to happen or not, you couldn't have thought you were the first to think of it in 6 years.  Why do people feel the need to make the same topic over and over with the same results?

Edited by (PS4)thowed

May I ask the reason players seem to always try to become game rich by wanting an easier way if selling things in a game that was made to Foster people working and communicating with one another? I get it with all the toxic people out there, the trolls, and the 10 second attention players that want everything right away and then get bored making it a slosh of a thing to trade with people....but do players even try anymore?

When was the last time players actually set up shop in their Dojo and invited people in to get things from them? Instead players want basically the opposite of the Alerts- have someone use an outside source to tell them when to sign in to do something.

AH are always ALWAYS brought up every 2nd Tuesday of the month and 3rd hour of each day that ends in Y. Yet, the game still thrives without one for those who want ways of selling without playing.

When DE started the whole trade thing, they didn't make a mistake of not putting in a Auction House. They chose to not do it for the reasons only they have to know. Maybe they didn't like the experience in other games or mayhaps they saw the types of players it bred or whatever they decided upon...it was a choice, not a mistake.

And please do not lump all players into your want and crave. I do not want any Auction House in this game and know a pretty many others out there that also want none of that here. Also, good way of stealing what has been made into topic hundreds of times before but claim it is your idea....that was some good Columbus tactic right there.

8 hours ago, (PS4)Blade_runner4379 said:

help stabilize the trade market

I'm really amazed how people just spew out whatever they can think of on the internet and expect others to believe it.
How will adding afk trading (what will essentially happen) stabilize the market?
It will in fact tank the prices of everything, thus devaluing plat for most items.
Rare Items will therefore become obligatory ducats.
The only items that may somewhat keeping their price would be the syndicate items and perfect rivens.

No matter how many twelve year old complain that drop rates suck, WF is really generous in its drops and items are way too easy to acquire as opposed to other games that do have auction houses, hence the scarcity or difficulty to acquire manages to maintain price.

6 hours ago, zoffmode said:

Unless situation has changed from last year, DE has no employees with an economics degree. So everyone is pretty clueless about the situation. Devs included.

This has nothing to do with real world economy. You have no scarcity of goods to speak of and a market with many players with the same quality of items, the only differentiation being price. Economist or not there are a few obvious "solutions" to this, one may be to add a flat 2/4/6...p trading tax based on item "rarity" and another to altogether nerf item drop rates to increase scarcity.

Also, use the search function, there are enough with the AH threads already and apart from some minor interaction WFmarket is already close enough to an AH.

Edited by Ver1dian
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, zoffmode said:

I don't imply I know much. I'm trying to look at it pragmatically, that's all. You're kinda hopeless if you actually believe what you said.

Let's just say... why do you think businesses hire consultants? It's not their projects after all. I suppose you're right. An expert's opinion in a very complicated field is worth absolutely nothing and can offer no insight. 

We're talking about a computer game that people play for fun (supposedly).

Not a trading business. DE have absolutely no reason to hire an economist, to satisfy a small percentage of the player base who seem to think Warframe is some kind of stock exchange simulator.

If this is the main reason you're logging into Warframe, then you're doing it wrong.

Trading stuff has always been...and very likely always will be...a very minor aspect of the game, designed to help players acquire a few things that RNG may be denying them. Not for people to start hoarding gear to sell for large amounts of plat.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

22 hours ago, peterc3 said:

The logic of this post is:

"If something isn't in the game from the start, it shouldn't ever be in the game."

Which basically means you disagree with everything from the very first Warframe patch and onward.

I'm very tired of anti-AH arguments on forums... It's always the same thing.

The bottom line is that an AH would provide convenience to buyers to NOT "have to be online at the same time," which you yourself have already stated, and it would ALSO eliminate price gouging & manipulation. Normalized prices makes every transaction forcibly legitimate and equal.

People who fight against an AH are people who want to keep making profits off of those unaware of WF Market's more normalized prices compared to in-game trade chat (which is a nightmare).

I imagine if WF Market was shut down and you were FORCED to use in-game trade chat, you'd be singing a different tune as you realized the in-game trade chat is not sufficient.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, (PS4)Dishinshoryuken said:

May I ask the reason players seem to always try to become game rich by wanting an easier way if selling things in a game that was made to Foster people working and communicating with one another? I get it with all the toxic people out there, the trolls, and the 10 second attention players that want everything right away and then get bored making it a slosh of a thing to trade with people....but do players even try anymore?

This is so dumb... sigh...

I wish the anti-AH people could at least give something that felt like a real stance, WITHOUT loopholes and hypocrisies.

People don't spend 16 hours a day on Warframe. With the limited amount of time they DO spend on Warframe, they're probably farming & playing whatever content they're playing.

Let's remove WF Market from the equation, since it's a halfway point of an Auction House, and if you oppose an AH, you probably oppose WF Market (correct me if I'm wrong... which would be weird).

If you had to also ACTIVELY spend your time trying to trade things in the in-game trade chat, that would hurt the majority of players EVEN more. That's less time spent playing, and more time spent sending your trade message once every 60 seconds. Not to even mention, god forbid, you're looking to BUY something in that mess.

If you're a seller, you could just drop your message after every mission and that's not too bad. But a buyer??? Well, now what? I guess you could drop a "WTB" message after every mission, instead. But there's a couple things wrong with that:

1) Now you either have to choose to drop your WTB or WTS message, or you wait a minute to do both. That's annoying.

2) In the end, people also have to spend their time READING trade chat. If everyone's just dropping messages and that's it, nobody's reading these messages. People have to actively spend their time reading a spammy trade chat, shared by every single player in the game.

It's factually a bad system. If it wasn't, WF Market wouldn't currently be the go-to. So you can argue against an AH until your face turns blue, but I see you using WF Market on the next tab.

An Auction House normalizes prices. It makes every item face truth. If supply is high, we'll see it. If an AH makes prices plummet, then their contrary prices were artificial in the first place. For a real life example, see the market of diamonds. Supply is astronomically higher than their prices. But the companies control the flow. But if those diamonds were all forcibly available, prices would indeed plummet. But in what universe is that not the right thing to happen? The fair thing?

An Auction House is truth. If you oppose an Auction House, you oppose truth. And there's something to say about that.

• Like 1