Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Auction house

SpongeCakeS

P.S.

The argument that the current trade system "encourages player interaction" is such hot garbage.

Tell me when was the last time you made a friend through a trade.

I imagine the answer is "never," as is mine and probably 99% of everyone else.

You trade, you say "thanks dude," and you never talk to that person again. Is that the precious "player interaction" keeping us from having an Auction House???

I'm never not going to upvote an AH thread. All the usual objections have been debunked time and time again. It's mind-boggling to me that literally every single aspect of the game has been reworked and upgraded at least once over the lifetime of this game, yet trading is still restricted to the most basic and bare-bones mechanisms possible (i.e. trade chat and whispers). If someone made a 1st-person shooter in 2019 that didn't allow mouse aiming, it would be viewed as hopelessly antiquated laughing stock. Yet when similar antiquated design is applied to trading, it's defended tooth and nail by certain subsections of the player base.

On 2019-06-05 at 1:19 AM, 4thBro said:

The argument that the current trade system "encourages player interaction" is such hot garbage. 

It does encourage player interaction in that often people waste my time in various ways and sometimes they try to scam me, all of which are things that would be impossible in a well-designed AH. I guess that counts, nobody ever said it encourages good player interaction.

Edited by SordidDreams
  • Like 1

Im greatful DE are aware of people and organisations who want to turn Warframe into a career path+money making machine.

Plenty of us have shared experience and knowledge of MMO markets and their negative impact on games over the last 6 years over these forums and reddit.

You dont even need to look away from Warframe to see a real example the effect greed has had on Warframes community. The most historically proven example of why a Trading/auction system shouldnt exist in Warframe can be found in the original execution of Dark Sectors. Where very quickly you had clans actively botting to control the entire starchart. Whenever a rail could be attacked the servers coincidentally would be ddos'd and in most cases the ddos attack would continue until the rail was successfully defended/attacked. Then you had the controlling clan running a 100% tax rate.

23 minutes ago, CarrotSalad said:

Im greatful DE are aware of people and organisations who want to turn Warframe into a career path+money making machine.

Plenty of us have shared experience and knowledge of MMO markets and their negative impact on games over the last 6 years over these forums and reddit.

You dont even need to look away from Warframe to see a real example the effect greed has had on Warframes community. The most historically proven example of why a Trading/auction system shouldnt exist in Warframe can be found in the original execution of Dark Sectors. Where very quickly you had clans actively botting to control the entire starchart. Whenever a rail could be attacked the servers coincidentally would be ddos'd and in most cases the ddos attack would continue until the rail was successfully defended/attacked. Then you had the controlling clan running a 100% tax rate.

???

Outside of botting, current no AH system is way more profitable to people who roleplay Corpus in Warframe. You can make much more money in current system with much bigger profit margins on sell and buy. Botting is easily worked out by limiting trades or maybe just doing same thing as warframe.market but ingame so you still have to go to dojo.

Basically you right now: "You shouldn't play Warframe as a trading game"

also you: "but yes, you should spend 30x more time on trading than necessary compared to using non-ghetto ingame trading system"

I played games for more than 20 years now. Ingame auction house was never an issue to me in anything I've played. In fact, I always preferred games with AH. If warframe.market didn't exist, I would've permanently quit Warframe long time ago.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by zoffmode
  • Like 1

On 2019-06-04 at 9:57 AM, peterc3 said:

But it is their project. There is no greater expert on Warframe than DE. An economist isn't going to give them info they don't already know.

Depends on what you mean by expert. As a student in game development, my lecturers constantly drill into me that the worst possible judge for your game is yourself.

DE should just make it possible to trade items or resources at a fixed price in an auction house with no restrictions on how many items you can bundle together. Let the seller set the selling time and price in credits or platinum for the 25 free included auction slots with the possibility to buy more slots for Platinum. The auction house takes a small cut off 2%. I honestly cannot understand why DE have not done this yet.

No thank you, I don't miss auction houses.

It would be nice to throw in a decent trading tutorial though, so newer players understood how the hell it works without having to jump to Google.

Also maybe officially sponsor Warframe Market since a ton of us kinda rely on it.

12 hours ago, 4thBro said:

P.S.

I imagine the answer is "never," as is mine and probably 99% of everyone else.

You trade, you say "thanks dude," and you never talk to that person again. Is that the precious "player interaction" keeping us from having an Auction House???

This made me laugh as I recalled the last thing I sold in game without using Warframe Market (only reason I had that up is some kid told me "that is not how much it is going for on Warframe.market" and I had to know where he was getting that price from...never went back to it). It was a Loki Prime full set and the guy I sold it to wanted it but had to wait til payday to get money to get the Prime Access pack he also wanted. Put him on my list of friends and kept in contact with him, ran a few missions together, and then after he bought it, I would check in with him, run missions for other Primes, and check out the Fashion Frame he did with his Loki Prime (even inspired some models for me to recreate on mine). Then he stopped playing Warframe and gave me his plat that was left over and other stuff ....

When I was into the TradeFrame side of the game, it was not a portion that took away from me playing....it was a reason to play. I had a certain amount of trades I could do each day and either I wanted to use them or see who was in need of getting their first Prime or whatever I wanted to try out from Syndicates that I did not have access to. It was a way to see how new players were being handled by the trade sharks and fix that as well as another way to get rid of good Primes for plat instead of ducats. Then the Rivens hit and I gave up on trading and selling.

As for the other things you found dumb...and there is always some anti answer....that is, like....your opinion man....

Well, one thing I like about the current trading system is that it does allow me to give extra support to new or struggling players. Maybe DE wants to keep the current system and improve on it because they want players to interact with each other? Sure there's been bad or toxic interactions but I'm sure there's a lot of players that have met new friends through trading or gained valuable information from it.

It's true an auction house will make things easier. But I don't think it would necessarily make things better. Plus we all know how well DE implements new systems and content. Do you guys actually believe they would do a good auction house? Or would we be stuck with a terrible system for the better half of 5+ years?

This has been talked about soooo many times, and DE's stance on it will always remain the same, Auction houses create bots, bots create problems, this is why you won't see an auction house on warframe in any shape or form.  Thats why people are encouraged to use warframemarket and other outside sources for their "auction" fixes.

On 2019-06-05 at 2:10 AM, (PS4)CodyXSavageX said:

Everything will cost 1p or be overpriced

I think you solve that problem by doing a charge upfront fee.  In my experience with auction and offline sales, if players are charged a listing tax that is non refundable,  they are discouraged from junk listings.  

That upfront also helps push old currency out as a dump, while encouraging new currency purchase or gain.  

Classic trades remain the same, of course.  Automated trades (ah and offline) offer an alternative at a convenience fee.  

You just charge say minimum of 5plat to list.  Low enough to be accessible,  high enough to make junk listing a costly affair.  Anything below the tax rate, the server takes.  Junk literally becomes...junk.

An AH would be great for players, especially f2p players, but bad for DE. It would devalue a lot of stuff, and also make things more accessible. Making things more accessible is kind of the opposite of how f2p games work. New prime dropped? Some people will post for low amounts, to undercut, then others do, which will move that market price down.

Yes, it happens now, but with an AH, the process would escalate faster. Yes there's 3rd party stuff, but most dont use it, especially on consoles. That god rolled riven you searched chat all day for, you'd have access to hundreds of instantly. All competing for lower prices, which lowers profits. DE could go in and tax individual items, etc.. to try and help curb it, but that just creates more work. DE already has their hands full, and can't keep up with demand.

DE also has 2 owners now, who of course want money... They're making a LotR f2p game, and branching into mobile. Warframe helps fund that stuff. Spending more time in chat, also keeps players logged in, less time in other games, gives them stuff to do, which is less time spent burning through content. Like Steve said "They want Warframe to be the wife, not the mistress.." They don't want ppl getting stuff done faster..

5 minutes ago, (XB1)The Neko Otaku said:

Oh god that wasn't even a week since the last auction house thread.

They'll literally always keep coming back cause it's weird for a game to not have auction house nowadays. And there's no AH megathread or dev statement sticky on the matter or anything.

Edited by zoffmode

On 2019-06-04 at 1:31 AM, 4thBro said:

There's no discussion to be had.

An auction house should happen. We use a 3rd party website for trades. That says everything.

But DE won't put in an auction house because too many players aren't intelligent enough to say anything beyond "auction houses ruin games blargle blargle" without understanding the details on the VERY FEW examples where it has. (For example, D3 is NOT an example. Yet it's a popular go-to example. Lol.)

TLDR: An AH won't be implemented out of misplaced fear.

Considering what mess the auction house is in WoW i dont want the mess to be in warframe. But sure, lets switch it to a rare few who plays the auction house to the point they own it.

no, i want to have the free market, it works  wonders as it is and its healthy competition. 

I'm all for it, the fact that such a large majority of traders actively go to and use a third-party website (wf-market, riven market etc) to buy and sell things is honestly just terrible. Whisper UI for trading is cluttered and messy (you can get like 10 messages at once), and trade chat is a literally just warfare over who can copy paste the longest. Cutting out 2 steps of the process (going to website and copy pasting whispers) isn't gonna cause a "market crash" or a "huge problem", you're basically screaming at nothing, it's not going to change anything about the pricing around normal tradeables by any significant amount.

Now rivens? Yeah, rivens will most likely get a price nerf from something like this, but honestly, THEY NEED IT. Who in their right mind would spend 3000 platinum on a single riven mod, no matter how powerful it is? Mind you, 3000 platinum roughly translates to about $150-$175 USD, which means you're spending roughly that much on a single item/riven. The reason prices will drop is because giving rivens an auction house means you'll get SO much more accurate buyers information, since you'll get all these rivens sitting in one place, instead of thousands of rivens flying past a screen in tiny text, and players now with their pricing and riven info all up on display simultaneously, will need to adjust their ludicrously high prices to increase the chance they'll get a sale.