Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Auction house

SpongeCakeS

54 minutes ago, k05h said:

I have never understood why rivens that are already stored in a separate database (table) cannot be banned from reselling.

Simple solution for riven reselling: bind them to the player after purchases from another player. 

It would not solve the problem of needing an actual AH for a clean and quick way to sell and it would get a motherload of complaints from people who speculates on rivens. This is how you make both people who want an AH and those who don't want it unhappy.

Personally I think the game is long overdue in need of an AH and I would totally welcome it as one of the most useful additions to enchance gameplay experience since I don't want to waste hours in trading chat and I don't like to force a quick end on my mission and maybe cut off a group only because "someone wants to buy something from me". I also know it will never happen since DE clearly stated in a devstream they are not thinking of anything of the sort for the time being

Edited by Olphalarepth

12 minutes ago, Olphalarepth said:

I also know it will never happen since DE clearly stated in a devstream they are not thinking of anything of the sort for the time being

Worth pointing out they kept categorically refusing to implement vacuum for pets for years also. Eventually they caved, and is there a single person on the planet who thinks the game is worse for it? The devs do listen, I just wish they'd listen a little quicker. It realy shouldn't take half a decade to convince them of the need for simple QoL features like vacuum or AH.

Edited by SordidDreams

1) It is way easier to do RTM with auction house

2) this leads to P2W instead of F2P

3) No thank you.

Only change that would be nice is buildable segment for our ship new group type Trade Only (similar to Invite only). Only leader of the group can start a trade.

1 minute ago, SordidDreams said:

Worth pointing out they kept categorically refusing to implement vacuum for pets for years also. Eventually they caved, and is there a single person on the planet who thinks the game is worse for it? The devs do listen, I just wish they'd listen a little quicker. It realy shouldn't take half a decade to convince them of the need for simple QoL features like vacuum or AH.

True, so this leaves us with, like, how many years without an AH?

Just now, svegurok said:

1) It is way easier to do RTM with auction house

3) No thank you.

Only change that would be nice is buildable segment for our ship new group type Trade Only (similar to Invite only). Only leader of the group can start a trade.

While I disagree that we need or should even have an AH, the idea that it would lead to P2W is laughable at best.

4 minutes ago, svegurok said:

3) No thank you.

Oh please, not the P2W, it works so well right now that you can pay for an overpriced riven without being able to look for better options. Please no, don't let players save a few hundreds (or thousands) of platinum. If it's anything like p2w is right freaking now. Competition is only feared by those who are too afraid to put themselves in the game or those too afraid to lose something because of it.

PS: way to argument your position, Tenno

• Like 2

People don't really mean an auction house, do they?

With, like, bidding and stuff?

As a seller you what, put your stuff up for auction at 1p with a minimum sale price and wait for auction to end and hope it's sold? How do you gauge minimum sale price? How often you gotta list something until it's sold.

As a buyer you what, trawl through THOUSANDS of items for sale, bid on one, hope your bid doesn't get beaten? Sit around watching it in case you get outbid?

I appreciate people just wanna put stuff up for sale and it be sold and they roll around in plat but does no one see that this kinda system is probably more time consuming than what we have now? Not to mention that the amount of people you will be competing with means you aren't gonna sell anything.

Either that or people don't really mean auction house. At least ask for a frikkin' shop or something.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

People don't really mean an auction house, do they?

No 98.997879% of the time what people mean when they say "Auction House" is "Market Place". The subtle differences are lost at this point and the two have been so thoroughly conflated that it's hardly worth fighting anymore. 

Sort of a "Know what I mean, not what I say" thing these days. 

Edited by Oreades
  • Like 1

Unless AH is limited to rivens, it will cause more harm than help. (An AH for rivens could work, and I think it would be better if we had one)

However, AH would be rather harmful if applied to the regular items.

There is often only a need to have a single copy of things, eg mods and prime parts, so we can almost be certain that demand won't ever rapidly increase regardless of the existence of AH. However, supply would certainly increase at a insanely high amount for a lot of items if AH is implemented. The main reason why many long time players aren't selling their insane stockpile of items they have in inventory, is because they value time over the small amount of platinum they could have gotten if they spend it on trading, making "offline trading" easily accessible would change this. In addition, most items are not unique (rivens is an exception), the lethal torrent that player A is selling is no different from the one player B is selling, so for any buyers, price would effectively be the only consideration.

A large increase in supply that can never be matched with a similar (or even likely... a tenth) of an increase in demand is going to cause the prices of most things in wf to fall significantly and this is an issue for some people, for starters

- DE is going to lose a lot of revenue. Do keep in mind that if everything is significantly cheaper, the same amount of platinum a player bought could get them a lot more things. This translates to less amount of money spent from players. This applies even to players who never buy platinum as the platinum you trade and then spent has to have come from another player's spending.

- F2P players would be harmed significantly. Remember that while most things would go cheaper, things like slots, potatoes and forma bundles don't. What this means is that F2P players would be affected the most as it would be much harder for them to actually sell their items as well as actually getting enough platinum. It would be even worse for newer players who just enter the game as they can’t even access contents that drop “rare” items as easily.

People who are asking for AH mainly is due to them thinking that it is difficult to buy and sell items. In reality, that is actually not the case unless you are trying to greed on some poor soul who doesn’t know the actual prices in the trading channel. One can already easily buy an item by simply going to warframe market and copy the names of whoever is listing the item and is online (although something should be done to make sure that those showing online are actually online), the only thing bad about this is that the prices there tends to be slightly higher than the trading channel. On the other hand, it is also reasonably easy to sell if you just list your items to be “-5p” of the lowest online offer.

Some people might be thinking that if warframe market didn’t crash the prices, AH won’t. This isn’t the case as AH doesn’t require the active input of the player. I rarely turn on my shop in wf market as it is a major annoyance if I want to go for any runs that is over a few minutes, that doesn’t mean I won’t utilize AH

Anyway, even if I am among the people who is going to benefit from having an AH as I have a sizable amount of plat, some stupid stockpile of things that I don’t care nor remember about owning (so I can just price war and sell them cheap and not feel as harmed). I would have to say no to this idea as it isn’t beneficial to the game overall nor is it beneficial to DE. 

Ok so I get that:

-DE Don't want us to earn plat while not even playing

But the chat system is just really awful to use.

I know the perfect solution:
-Give an intuitive AH interface:
-Let me post items and buy items from it that comes into my mail (purchases)
-Restrict all the items put on AH for 2-4hours tops.
-Restrict items posted to AH per account to 2-4 at once
-Update Mobile WF experience to be AH enabled

Issue solved because:

-I can't make money while offline due to time restriction
-Have to log in, interact with the interface to do my purchase/sale
-Restrict item count so people can't bot dozens of items

This would boost D.E.'s Money earning, since the sales would occur more often than not (right now).

Win Win

I mean, as long as they update trading so you don't have to copy paste whispers then that's a step forward in the right direction. Having to buy and sell through whispers and trade chat spamming has got to be one of the most outdated features with absolutely zero QoL that I've seen compared to the rest of the game. We don't even have to have an auction house (although I'd like one), but trading srsly needs some sort of change for the better.

Perhaps we can even have an auction house where it doesn't let you trade offline, if DE is so scared about people gaining plat while offline, just make it like WF market where theres an online and offline sorter.

Edited by birdobash

2 hours ago, Leyers_of_facade said:

Anyway, even if I am among the people who is going to benefit from having an AH as I have a sizable amount of plat, some stupid stockpile of things that I don’t care nor remember about owning (so I can just price war and sell them cheap and not feel as harmed). I would have to say no to this idea as it isn’t beneficial to the game overall nor is it beneficial to DE. 

I think that this level of thinking things through is lacking in the general population of players. I'm in the same boat as you, and a lot of the time I realise that the people who demand these systems are looking at it only from a "will I benefit" point of view, not a "will the game benefit overall" point of view. 

Like you, I recognise that I'll benefit enormously in the short term, but not in the long run. 

6 hours ago, IronHair said:

This post summarize why we won't be seeing an ingame auction house in wf.

Even if you consider them fringe / conspiracy theories, the point remains that DE doesn't want to make trading automated, without active player input.
Make of that what you want. If you want to say it's to protect their plat sales by make trading tougher so ppl buy more plat, or to increase active player participation, that's your way of looking at it.

The result either way is no auction house in wf in 2019 or 2020.

I know, but if this same $##t happen again and someone scheme again to overthrow the market place again pretty much DE might use it as last resort which DE did not promise such thing or what so ever that they won't put auction house in the game.  For this is only the last resort only uses but in the meantime this doesn't mean I wanted but if people do such crap like this again then DE has to put a muzzle on the merchant people for being a bad dog.  Which this is a typical thing we called retaliation button for the dev which a nuke deterrent for the uses if the market ever again go chaotically madness.

As time being I do agree still free trades but if this $##t got itself out control again then I'll let DE do what they will have no chose to do.

Edited by ChaoticEdge

6 hours ago, k05h said:

I have never understood why rivens that are already stored in a separate database (table) cannot be banned from reselling.

Simple solution for riven reselling: bind them to the player after purchases from another player. 

They did because charging and overloading the price 1k or higher is really a rip off which cause the game to fall into the direction "Pay To Win" game which DE did not want that flaw that is created by the player to bound other players into their hand and forcing them to use their money to buy warframe's plat to get riven mod from another player which do you see there for that is a pay to win which DE would of be ok getting money but it seems they are not corrupted as we thought to be so this shows that DE attention is not forced players to do pay to win game for they wanted the game to be free.

As solution small suppress they could do once buy a riven mod for you cannot sell it again until certain numbers of days for to be resold which that is another way to suppress selling riven overpriced but I am not here to suppress the free market for it is their will to do equally of terms to do equal rights with each other.

Edited by ChaoticEdge

17 hours ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

Either that or people don't really mean auction house. At least ask for a frikkin' shop or something.

Such loose and undefined specific requests does open the door for DE to bring us a trading hall where platinum cant be used for trades now that would be something lol. Then they can have their trading hall but the catch is they can only sell and buy their items for credits. Afterall every other MMO under the sun doesnt allow players to trade items for money game cash shop currency in a trading hall fashion.

its a clear showing of just how little thought gets put into these requests for trading/auction halls ingame.

On 2019-06-07 at 9:50 AM, Leyers_of_facade said:

Unless AH is limited to rivens, it will cause more harm than help. (An AH for rivens could work, and I think it would be better if we had one)

However, AH would be rather harmful if applied to the regular items.

There is often only a need to have a single copy of things, eg mods and prime parts, so we can almost be certain that demand won't ever rapidly increase regardless of the existence of AH. However, supply would certainly increase at a insanely high amount for a lot of items if AH is implemented. The main reason why many long time players aren't selling their insane stockpile of items they have in inventory, is because they value time over the small amount of platinum they could have gotten if they spend it on trading, making "offline trading" easily accessible would change this. In addition, most items are not unique (rivens is an exception), the lethal torrent that player A is selling is no different from the one player B is selling, so for any buyers, price would effectively be the only consideration.

A large increase in supply that can never be matched with a similar (or even likely... a tenth) of an increase in demand is going to cause the prices of most things in wf to fall significantly and this is an issue for some people, for starters

- DE is going to lose a lot of revenue. Do keep in mind that if everything is significantly cheaper, the same amount of platinum a player bought could get them a lot more things. This translates to less amount of money spent from players. This applies even to players who never buy platinum as the platinum you trade and then spent has to have come from another player's spending.

- F2P players would be harmed significantly. Remember that while most things would go cheaper, things like slots, potatoes and forma bundles don't. What this means is that F2P players would be affected the most as it would be much harder for them to actually sell their items as well as actually getting enough platinum. It would be even worse for newer players who just enter the game as they can’t even access contents that drop “rare” items as easily.

People who are asking for AH mainly is due to them thinking that it is difficult to buy and sell items. In reality, that is actually not the case unless you are trying to greed on some poor soul who doesn’t know the actual prices in the trading channel. One can already easily buy an item by simply going to warframe market and copy the names of whoever is listing the item and is online (although something should be done to make sure that those showing online are actually online), the only thing bad about this is that the prices there tends to be slightly higher than the trading channel. On the other hand, it is also reasonably easy to sell if you just list your items to be “-5p” of the lowest online offer.

Some people might be thinking that if warframe market didn’t crash the prices, AH won’t. This isn’t the case as AH doesn’t require the active input of the player. I rarely turn on my shop in wf market as it is a major annoyance if I want to go for any runs that is over a few minutes, that doesn’t mean I won’t utilize AH

This is the most detailed and accurate post on the AH subject I have seen to date.  Copy pasta this on every AH thread from here on out.

Well said.

Something I haven't seen brought up; how DE deals with "bad" plat. 

If there's an AH, it'll become much easier for black market plat to get into the community, much faster.  More players will purchase and sell at a faster pace than currently, creating more negative plat accounts.

В 05.06.2019 в 08:04, 4thBro сказал:

The logic of this post is:

"If something isn't in the game from the start, it shouldn't ever be in the game."

Which basically means you disagree with everything from the very first Warframe patch and onward.

I'm very tired of anti-AH arguments on forums... It's always the same thing.

The bottom line is that an AH would provide convenience to buyers to NOT "have to be online at the same time," which you yourself have already stated, and it would ALSO eliminate price gouging & manipulation. Normalized prices makes every transaction forcibly legitimate and equal.

People who fight against an AH are people who want to keep making profits off of those unaware of WF Market's more normalized prices compared to in-game trade chat (which is a nightmare).

I imagine if WF Market was shut down and you were FORCED to use in-game trade chat, you'd be singing a different tune as you realized the in-game trade chat is not sufficient.

+1 to this 

• Like 1

On 2019-06-07 at 3:50 PM, Leyers_of_facade said:

supply would certainly increase at a insanely high amount for a lot of items if AH is implemented. The main reason why many long time players aren't selling their insane stockpile of items they have in inventory, is because they value time over the small amount of platinum they could have gotten if they spend it on trading, making "offline trading" easily accessible would change this.

Which is why you don't make it easily accessible. I never understood the "supply would increase too much" argument. Yes, supply in WF is limited in large part by the fact that trading is a hassle. So yes, if you made trading more convenient without any additional changes, supply would increase. That's obvious, so obvious that I have no doubt DE wouldn't be stupid enough to do that. WF already has artificial limits on how much you can trade, on both the number of trades per day and the number of items per trade. So it stands to reason that making trading more convenient would require making those limits more stringent. As it stands you don't trade much because you can't be bothered, with a well-designed AH you wouldn't trade much because you simply wouldn't be allowed to. The supply would therefore stay the same.

This is exactly what I referred to when I said that people tend to trot out the same old long-debunked arguments in every single one of these threads.

People who are asking for AH mainly is due to them thinking that it is difficult to buy and sell items.

No, it's due to the fact that buying and selling items is inconvenient. You have to either sit in trade chat, which precludes you from actually, y'know, playing the game, or you have to either abort missions when someone messages you or feel like a douchenozzle for making people wait (potentially also losing the trade if your mission takes too long). That's to say nothing of having to go through loading screens for every trade. Wiggling your ship around gets kinda old after the seven hundredth time.

Some people might be thinking that if warframe market didn’t crash the prices, AH won’t. This isn’t the case as AH doesn’t require the active input of the player.

Says who? You could totally design an AH that did require active input if you wanted to.

This is yet another example of the tired old arguments I referred to. Opponents of the AH idea invariably argue against the worst possible implementation of an AH as if that's the only one possible and conclude that an AH is therefore a terrible idea. Yes, a terrible AH is a terrible idea. How about we use the various possible flaws that get pointed out to come up with an actually good AH design instead, hm?

Edited by SordidDreams

Lets see, my original paragraph is as followed:

On 2019-06-07 at 9:50 PM, Leyers_of_facade said:

and what you quoted is the following:

On 2019-06-11 at 8:42 AM, SordidDreams said:
On 2019-06-07 at 9:50 PM, Leyers_of_facade said:

People who are asking for AH mainly is due to them thinking that it is difficult to buy and sell items. 

No, it's due to the fact that buying and selling items is inconvenient. You have to either sit in trade chat, which precludes you from actually, y'know, playing the game, or you have to either abort missions when someone messages you or feel like a douchenozzle for making people wait (potentially also losing the trade if your mission takes too long). That's to say nothing of having to go through loading screens for every trade. Wiggling your ship around gets kinda old after the seven hundredth time.

Cutting off roughly 90% of the relevant content in the paragraph to attempt to make yourself sound right is downright pathetic, let me showcase you an equivalent thing you did.

Equivalent sample -------------------------

I never understood the "supply would increase too much" argument.

This is exactly why you don't understand why AH would be an issue to the game, it is obviously because you lack the basic knowledge of how economics works.

hmmmmm 🤔

End of equivalent sample -------------------------

Next, let me point out something rather interesting about your reply

From this paragraph, one can infer that you would want AH so that it allows you to "play the game" and not be actively trading.

Says who? You could totally design an AH that did require active input if you wanted to.

From this section, you are trying to explain to suggest that a "good" AH would require active input. ie. having the player to actually be around to press the buttons to trade. Which conflicts with what you want in the previous section.

So what exactly do you want? 

Which is why you don't make it easily accessible. I never understood the "supply would increase too much" argument. Yes, supply in WF is limited in large part by the fact that trading is a hassle. So yes, if you made trading more convenient without any additional changes, supply would increase. That's obvious, so obvious that I have no doubt DE wouldn't be stupid enough to do that. WF already has artificial limits on how much you can trade, on both the number of trades per day and the number of items per trade. So it stands to reason that making trading more convenient would require making those limits more stringent. As it stands you don't trade much because you can't be bothered, with a well-designed AH you wouldn't trade much because you simply wouldn't be allowed to. The supply would therefore stay the same.

So lets say they decide to listen to your idea, so trading per day is limited. Now, the question is, are listing limited? and does AH replaces current trading chat or simply adds on to it

Scenario 1: Number of item allowed for listing is not limited (this is closer to current trade as you can list as many items as you can fit within the word limit)

Price war would still be capable of breaking out. We are still under the assumption that demand isn't going to increase (as there is no reason to believe that it would, simply due to the fact that anyone really wanting an item can just get it quickly with warframe market). So what happens is people will still try to "-1p" or "-5p" other people on the listing board. "Effective supply" would still grow significantly and limited trades would barely help as just because it is listed, it does not mean it would be sold (so limited trades doesn't help), however people would still put their items 1p lower than the current offer to make it easier to sell.

Scenario 2: Item listing is limited and AH replaces trade chat

From this part of your reply, I am going to guess that this is what you are thinking.

WF already has artificial limits on how much you can trade, on both the number of trades per day and the number of items per trade. So it stands to reason that making trading more convenient would require making those limits more stringent.

This is going to be a disaster, and that is even before we account for rivens (which btw would make things even worse than it is). When the number of items you are allowed to list is limited, most players likely would only list items that gives them a lot of platinum, this in turn would literally nuke the supply of common items which could be really useful for new players. For example, core mods such as streamline / continuity and aura mods, we can more or less see the result of the blank period of nightwave on the prices of aura mods at this moment. Prices of these mods will rise, but it is almost impossible for them to be able to catch up on the "expensive rare items", this would harm newer players (especially if they are F2P and does not have access to the farms for rare item)

Scenario 3: Item listing is limited and AH simply adds onto trade chat

In this case, people would still be listing the most expensive items, while cheap common / essential item prices would more or less stay the same, higher end item prices would drop drastically (still the same issue of supply). This is going to cause a loss in revenue on DE's side as the same amount of platinum bought would allow the player to get more items, hence reducing the need to buy as much platinum. Remember, any platinum you trade has to be bought by another player.

-----

Next, you might want to consider the practicality of your suggestion so far.

- What is the number of trades we are limited to? 

As it stands you don't trade much because you can't be bothered, with a well-designed AH you wouldn't trade much because you simply wouldn't be allowed to. The supply would therefore stay the same.

Your suggestion is really optimistic on the fact that we / DE can find a magical number such that supply would stay the same. Imo, it is practically impossible to figure out such number, and that is even before we consider the issue of whether item listing is limited.

- What about rivens?

Notice how I basically avoided rivens when taking into considerations of how AH would impact the game's economy, however, it is part of the game and something you definitely have to keep in mind when trying to implement AH. This has to be considered alongside with the questions of 1)whether item listing is limited 2)whether trading is limited 3) whether AH replaces trade chat.

Lastly, let me respond to this section of your reply

This is yet another example of the tired old arguments I referred to. Opponents of the AH idea invariably argue against the worst possible implementation of an AH as if that's the only one possible and conclude that an AH is therefore a terrible idea. Yes, a terrible AH is a terrible idea. How about we use the various possible flaws that get pointed out to come up with an actually good AH design instead, hm?

Many people has already pointed out the issues of AH, while there seems to be a solution to some of them, you would have to consider what the interactions of some solutions can be with others. For example, saying that things would work out while considering opposite designs like you have done so above does not suggest that a good AH design exists. You could try to suggest a good AH design, one that actually has the boundaries and contents set tightly (and not loosely and thinking that "everything would work out" / "we would figure it out"), but remember, with each flaw being found, the solution would have to be added on without messing with the solutions for other problems.

I wish you good luck, despite not believing that a practical and good AH design could be made

Edited by Leyers_of_facade
incomplete response

1 hour ago, Leyers_of_facade said:

Cutting off roughly 90% of the relevant content in the paragraph to attempt to make yourself sound right is downright pathetic

Which is why I didn't do that, I cut off the 90% that is irrelevant due to being based on a false premise. That false premise is the only thing I quoted and refuted, the rest falls away with it. I could have quoted the whole thing and replied in exactly the same way, I truncated the quote simply to avoid producing a giant wall of text.

Oh look, I did the same thing again here.

Next, let me point out something rather interesting about your reply

On 2019-06-11 at 2:42 AM, SordidDreams said:

From this paragraph, one can infer that you would want AH so that it allows you to "play the game" and not be actively trading.

From this section, you are trying to explain to suggest that a "good" AH would require active input. ie. having the player to actually be around to press the buttons to trade. Which conflicts with what you want in the previous section.

So what exactly do you want

I want you to reply to what I'm actually saying, not what you imagine I'm saying. Specifically, the second quote doesn't mention anything about an AH that requires active participation being good. I only say that you could make one like that if you really wanted. In my opinion it would kinda defeat the point, though I suppose it would at least allow players the option to accept trades while in a mission, and that would still be better than having to abort the mission and travel to the dojo.

So lets say they decide to listen to your idea, so trading per day is limited. Now, the question is, are listing limited? and does AH replaces current trading chat or simply adds on to it 

If you think those are the only questions, you haven't given this much thought.

Scenario 1: Number of item allowed for listing is not limited (this is closer to current trade as you can list as many items as you can fit within the word limit)

That is obviously stupid.

Scenario 2: Item listing is limited and AH replaces trade chat

From this part of your reply, I am going to guess that this is what you are thinking.

WF already has artificial limits on how much you can trade, on both the number of trades per day and the number of items per trade. So it stands to reason that making trading more convenient would require making those limits more stringent.

This is going to be a disaster, and that is even before we account for rivens (which btw would make things even worse than it is). When the number of items you are allowed to list is limited, most players likely would only list items that gives them a lot of platinum, this in turn would literally nuke the supply of common items which could be really useful for new players.

Why on earth would it do that? There are far more newbies than veterans. Even under an extreme restriction such as only being allowed to list one single item for sale at a time, you'd still have plenty of low-tier items for sale because of the large number of people who simply don't have anything better to sell. What it would do is prevent the main thing AH opponents are afraid of, a price crash resulting from everyone immediately putting up everything they have for sale.

Scenario 3: Item listing is limited and AH simply adds onto trade chat

That is also obviously stupid. Trade chat and trading stations in the dojo need to go for an AH to be viable.

Your suggestion is really optimistic on the fact that we / DE can find a magical number such that supply would stay the same. Imo, it is practically impossible to figure out such number

And you think that based on what, exactly? Is it a case of "I have no clue how to do this, therefore it must be impossible" or do you have any kind of evidence or argument to support that viewpoint?

What about rivens?

What about them? They're an item like any other, I see no reason why they should be treated in any kind of special way. Do you?

You could try to suggest a good AH design, one that actually has the boundaries and contents set tightly (and not loosely and thinking that "everything would work out" / "we would figure it out")

Given that I don't have access to DE's internal stats on trade volumes and prices and on the contents of other players' inventories, I can't do that. I can only speak in generalities.

Edited by SordidDreams