Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Quick Play" option?

Steel_Rook

Ever since Alerts were removed, I've been having trouble finding something to actually do. I've run most of the content enough times, I have all the items I'm going to want for a while, I've done all the Nightwave stuff I'm going to do this week. So here I am, sitting at Navigation wondering what to do, and eventually logging off to play something else. For all of their faults, Alerts did something that we currently have no system to replicate. They allowed me to pick a random node on a random planet and just play that. Effectively, I used them as a "Quick Play" option - a button to press and be thrown into a game without having to plan ahead or make decisions about what I'm going to "grind for" right now.

As such, I'd really like to see the reintroduction of some kind of Quick Play mode. Something I can click on and have the game decide for me what I'm going to play, or at least give me a small list of options. At this stage, I don't really have any overriding goals, nothing to specifically aim for. I just want to play the game. Having an option which can skip the logistics and grind concerns in order to just throw me into a mission would be very helpful in keeping me engaged. Crucially, this would have to be a system which could keep generating those missions effectively infinitely, rather than running out like Invasions, Syndicate missions and Nightwave do.

This has been on my mind for a while, but I'm posting this now because it's starting to become a real problem for at this point. I've been getting feedback from friends to this effect, but it wasn't until the last few days that I legitimately just did not know what mission to run. If it weren't for a new player I'm trying to help through the game - running his stuff - I'd probably be taking another break from the game either until Nightwave resets or even beyond. Overwatch has Quick Play, Payday 2 has Crime.net, even The Division has the West Side Piers. Warframe used to have Alerts, and I'd like to see something added to replace that aspect of them.

Arbitrations are a good thing then if you looking for random mission to run for a reward.

if you get bored in frame then you can try doing these things: Collect floofs, collect all the mods, collect all the syndicate stuff(including ones that are untradable), decorate your orbiter to a specific theme, get the zaw arcanes and other operator stuff from those syndicates, FASHION, learn how to read in corpus..?, finish scans in codex

Sanctuary Onslaught was said to be a sort of quick play or "bite size" content game mode on one of the dev streams.

It serves it's purpose well enough but personally I think SO limits the frames you want to play. 

So while I do agree we need a quick jump-in mission, there's always sanctuary onslaught to try and beat your highest wave

I too find myself sitting at navigation wanting to play more warframe but have no clear cut task I need to do.

Thats when I ask in Clan/Alliance/Region/Recruiting if anyone needs help getting anything done.

There is almost always someone around who would appreciate some help!

Edited by SteelOverseer666

A type of Quick Play would be much appreciated, I know I keep harping on about this game's core gameplay loop, but when you've got other people around to distract you it can return to being a lot of fun.

I'd probably be more inclined to suggest Quick Play as a variant or accessory of a bigger and more robust Matchmaker, where you can set filters and tags to quickly sort available groups into the most relevant or appropriate, and then Quick Play is just a button to click to toss your butt into any old mission before your Warframe can sit down at the nav console.
I imagine it'd help with the randomness while also helping people with their own tasks.

12 hours ago, AwkwardLazarow said:

if you get bored in frame then you can try doing these things: Collect floofs, collect all the mods, collect all the syndicate stuff(including ones that are untradable), decorate your orbiter to a specific theme, get the zaw arcanes and other operator stuff from those syndicates, FASHION, learn how to read in corpus..?, finish scans in codex

The problem is that all of these things are goal I have to set for myself, then research how to accomplish them, then track my progress somehow. While none of this is particularly difficult or complicated, it all requires initiative. What I really want when sitting bored at navigation is quite the opposite - have the game do all of that for me. Pick a goal for me, pick a task, pick the settings and let me just lazily click "Accept." Sometimes I want self-defined, emergent objectives. Sometimes I want to just sit down and let the game lead me. Basically, I don't always have the energy to make decisions and would on occasion like to let the game decide for me.

10 hours ago, Dahx11 said:

Sanctuary Onslaught was said to be a sort of quick play or "bite size" content game mode on one of the dev streams. It serves it's purpose well enough but personally I think SO limits the frames you want to play. So while I do agree we need a quick jump-in mission, there's always sanctuary onslaught to try and beat your highest wave

The problem with Sanctuary Onslaught - and to a lesser extent Arbitrations - is that they're both kind of really boring, contrived game modes. As you brought up, SO is heavily dependent on the Warframe, and more specifically on your DPS. If you don't meet the gear check, you needn't bother. Standard Nephilem Rift rules. Arbitrations are similarly restricted with their no revival rules and the much more severe fail conditions. While Alerts weren't exactly the height of narrative and gameplay excellence, at least they were available across the full spectrum of difficulty, whether I was levelling up new gear, playing old favourites or teaming with friends just starting up in the game.

9 hours ago, blazinvire said:

I'd probably be more inclined to suggest Quick Play as a variant or accessory of a bigger and more robust Matchmaker, where you can set filters and tags to quickly sort available groups into the most relevant or appropriate, and then Quick Play is just a button to click to toss your butt into any old mission before your Warframe can sit down at the nav console.

Payday 2's Crime.net was a lot like that. At any one time, it would show you a random selection of semi-populated lobbies hosted by other people that you could join, as well as a random selection of I think up to 10 proposed Heists (missions) that you could start. You could filter the Heists shown by number of players, difficulty, ping and if I recall correctly even filter for specific heists. I remember sitting on Crime.net and watching what pops up, throwing out ideas to my team. Heat Street? Eh, don't really like that. Big Bank? Nah, we did that recently. Hotline Miami? Oh, haven't done that in a while! Let's do that! Hell, Payday 2 even introduced a "Quick Play" option of its own, which would throw you into a random Heist without even letting you pick 🙂

A similar version of a Warframe matchmaker would be very much appreciated. Let me pick a level range for missions, mission type, team size (with 0-4 inclusive) and maybe planet. From those filters, either generate a list of 20 or so randomly selected missions or else have an option to pick a mission for me at random as soon as one is found. Those of us who prefer to solo would, naturally, set our team size filter to 0 and get only planetary nodes, rather than existing teams. In general, though, letting people pick their parameters and jumping into a game would be very much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2019-04-14 at 9:45 PM, Steel_Rook said:

Ever since Alerts were removed, I've been having trouble finding something to actually do. I've run most of the content enough times, I have all the items I'm going to want for a while, I've done all the Nightwave stuff I'm going to do this week. So here I am, sitting at Navigation wondering what to do, and eventually logging off to play something else. For all of their faults, Alerts did something that we currently have no system to replicate. They allowed me to pick a random node on a random planet and just play that. Effectively, I used them as a "Quick Play" option - a button to press and be thrown into a game without having to plan ahead or make decisions about what I'm going to "grind for" right now.

As such, I'd really like to see the reintroduction of some kind of Quick Play mode. Something I can click on and have the game decide for me what I'm going to play, or at least give me a small list of options. At this stage, I don't really have any overriding goals, nothing to specifically aim for. I just want to play the game. Having an option which can skip the logistics and grind concerns in order to just throw me into a mission would be very helpful in keeping me engaged. Crucially, this would have to be a system which could keep generating those missions effectively infinitely, rather than running out like Invasions, Syndicate missions and Nightwave do.

This has been on my mind for a while, but I'm posting this now because it's starting to become a real problem for at this point. I've been getting feedback from friends to this effect, but it wasn't until the last few days that I legitimately just did not know what mission to run. If it weren't for a new player I'm trying to help through the game - running his stuff - I'd probably be taking another break from the game either until Nightwave resets or even beyond. Overwatch has Quick Play, Payday 2 has Crime.net, even The Division has the West Side Piers. Warframe used to have Alerts, and I'd like to see something added to replace that aspect of them.

On 2019-04-14 at 9:45 PM, Steel_Rook said:

Couldn't agree more, I used to play daily but I've barely played since they took alerts away, I've gone through the planets to look for open squads and find it really tedious. I like playing with randoms. 

I'm sad about this to be honest

On 2019-04-15 at 12:25 AM, Dahx11 said:

Sanctuary Onslaught was said to be a sort of quick play or "bite size" content game mode on one of the dev streams.

It serves it's purpose well enough but personally I think SO limits the frames you want to play.

It also requires you to go for 20 minutes if you want to get the good rewards, which I'd say is quite a bit more than a bite.

Fissure missions: 3-8 quick play options of various mission types.

Nightmare Missions: there is one on every planet (per hour I think)

Kuva Missions: Randomly sprinkled missions near Kuva Fortress

Invasions: Randomly selected missions.

this of course ignores the "just open the star chart and click a random node" option.

16 hours ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

Syndicate dailies?

11 hours ago, (XB1)Tucker D Dawg said:

Fissure missions: 3-8 quick play options of various mission types.

Nightmare Missions: there is one on every planet (per hour I think)

Kuva Missions: Randomly sprinkled missions near Kuva Fortress

Invasions: Randomly selected missions.

Some of those do work. Syndicates and Kuva missions are essentially what I've been doing in lieu of Quick Play, mostly because they have standardised level ranges and no specific gimmicks. Fissure missions are... Honestly quite annoying to me, largely because I dislike the Corrupted faction. I get why they exist in lore, but it feels like a lazy reskin of existing assets.  Nightmares are an option, but I personally find them far too gimmicky. Never liked mutators/stipulations in missions, and that's their whole point. The same goes for Invasions - their mechanics are a bit too specific and their dedicated tilesets are REALLY buggy and unpolished. Plus most of them lack faction-specific containers.

Realistically, Kuva and Syndicate missions are probably the closest I have, which a decent amount. Both of them have fairly benign gimmicks which don't fundamentally alter the experience of the mission and have a fixed mission level regardless of the planet.

11 hours ago, (XB1)Tucker D Dawg said:

this of course ignores the "just open the star chart and click a random node" option.

That's still a number of choices I have to make, however, and a high probability of ending up in something I don't like, such as an Intercept mission. It still requires me to set my own goals. What I personally want from a Quick Play mode is something akin to Payday 2's Crime.net. That is to say, a button I can click that's going to either drop me straight into a mission of its choice, or at least start proposing a rolling list of missions of its choice restricted to parameters I choose. That's honestly how I did pretty much most of my Heists in PD2. Open up Crime.net with my preferred difficulty already set, then sit around looking at what pops up. It would go along the lines of "Heat Street? Nah, that's terrible. Big Bank? Did that recently. Framing Frame? Too long. Hotline Miami? Hmm... Haven't done that in a while. Sure, let's do that!"

DE have talked about some kind of player-facing difficulty setting for a while. At least letting me scale the level of enemies on the node would be a decent first step, since then I could just run nodes on the Star Chart without worrying about having to fight level 5s with my high-end gear.