Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zero doesn't mean no damage? Boss invinc UI.

BadgerDrool

This is a simple suggestion. When shooting an "invincible" target. Damage numbers should utilize symbols instead.

To expound upon this:

Consider the boss "Lieutenant Lech Kril". In order to progress him through phases of the fight you have to shoot his pack to make the coolant tools pop off.

Current UI does not effectively communicate this. If you shoot his face you see a 0 pop out. If you shoot his pack you see a 0 pop out. The game's UI provides the same exact feedback to the player in both cases. This can and does lead to players concluding they are doing no damage and need to wait. If they wait he never phase shifts. If they get lucky and bullet hose him they may trigger a phase but still not know how they did it.

Instead, why not adjust the damage number UI to be able to show purely symbols. Currently we have symbols within elemental damage numbers. With only the letter X we can change this relationship. Player shoots Kril's face, 0 shows up. Player shoots Kril's backpack, X shows up. Player goes "Humm what's X mean? It isn't 0. Should I keep shooting that?". They do so and see that the next phase was triggered.

This is only one aspect of the new player experience that is deeply frustrating. However, it may be an "easy" fix. Depending on how the code's current set up and how costly a change to it really is of course.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, (PS4)OriginalEquinox said:

I thought the backpack becomes vulnerable for a second when he performs a ground slam with his melee only, wasn't aware we should spam his backpack.

its constantly vulnerable, until you deal sufficient damage to it, that's when it becomes invulnerable again, and becomes vulnerable again after he performs an ability (if any of that makes sense)

Haha, this conversation feels like it proves the point.

3 hours ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

either that or just show some numbers when you shoot the backpack

I can see why they wouldn't want to display damage numbers. They don't want players thinking they are reducing the bosses actual HP. It's a part HP bar technically. We agree that its needlessly confusing.

Completely agree with this, it's very unclear. Runs counter to how it's used in other games with similar mechanics and UI. Right now it's a bit of one thing and a bit of something else.

This is one of those QoL upgrades that would definitely make the gameplay more intuitive to newer players.

I wish they had something come up when you hit a invulnerable area like "Immune" or "No damage" instead of just 0. Seeing 0 makes me think that I have a chance at causing damage, just not at that time. I hate that none of the boss battles offer no hints as to how to properly attack/defeat them. Finding out how to attack and eventually kill/capture eidolons on your own is a bit different. but with the boss fights, I think there should be a slight hint or something as how to damage them.