Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why does Blinding Reave not function like every other blind effect in the game?

Squidfest

So they released the first ever Revenant augment, Blinding Reave. It's fairly straightforward: passing through enemies with Reave blinds them for a period of time, similar to Radial Blind, Savage Silence, or Desiccation. It even has the same blinded effect particles. Yet for whatever reason, the blinded targets are not open to finishers. EVERY other Blind ability makes enemies open to finishers. Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong? Or is this just supposed to be "blind, but worse"?

As someone who uses melee on Excal, I wish more abilities functioned like Blinding Reave. Forced Finishers are the worst.

Seriously, if you Blind a crowd as Excal and trigger a Finisher against one of the enemies, then it's a gigantic waste of time that disrupts the flow of combat. In the time that it takes to Finish one enemy, you could have easily destroyed that entire crowd. Polearms/whips/staves/gunblades/ExaltedBlade are pretty much mandatory for Blind builds on Excal, since they're the only weapons that can reasonably take advantage of that stealth bonus without risking accidental finishers (i.e. by hitting enemies from outside the range of the Finisher prompt).

In a perfect world, Blinding Reave would have Finishers and we'd be able to choose whether to activate a Finisher or not. For example, by setting finishers to "Contextual Use (X)" instead of "Melee (E)", just like how it works in Dying Light.
But nope, DE has straight up refused to acknowledge this issue (despite threads popping up about it since 2013), and Finisher-lacking moves like the current Blinding Reave start looking good in comparison simply because they don't have to deal with this crap.

Ugh. If DE doesn't acknowledge this issue by the time Melee 3.0 is complete, we riot.

Edited by SortaRandom
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, SortaRandom said:

As someone who uses melee on Excal, I wish more abilities functioned like Blinding Reave. Forced Finishers are the worst.

As someone who uses Exodia Might, I have to disagree whole-heartedly. The 0.25 second animation of my Zaw getting plunged into the opponent's chest and yanked out is what keeps my Excalibur alive most times in combat, and the ability to consistently trigger its effects is a godsend. 

19 minutes ago, Squidfest said:

As someone who uses Exodia Might, I have to disagree whole-heartedly. The 0.25 second animation of my Zaw getting plunged into the opponent's chest and yanked out is what keeps my Excalibur alive most times in combat, and the ability to consistently trigger its effects is a godsend. 

I mean, not to knock your preferences or anything, but taking such a long break from combat (usually ~1 second on most weapons with Primed Fury-- damn, I wish it were as short as 0.25s) just for a 50% chance for a lifesteal bonus seems a bit, well... not that great IMO.
Magus Elevate (2x) feels quicker and safer, and it doesn't take up a slot that could be used for more melee damage. I'd like to introduce you to my boi Exodia Triumph.

But yeah, going back to the main point of my post, being able to choose whether to use slow, heavy-hitting Finishers is something that any other game dev would consider "obvious". It's a travesty that DE is seemingly cursed to never acknowledge this issue.

If this were implemented, and more abilities were given access to Finishers (e.g. Blinding Reave), then that would be ideal IMO.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Best explaination I got.

Revenant is a horrible, terrible, awful, no good frame.

So it only makes sense that his augments follow suit.

There you go again ...

I just wish it was something like ''stuns enemies (like mesmer skin), allowing you to cast your 1 on them for free.''

Currently, one of revenant's biggest weaknesses is his inability to create a sustainable supply of thralls, which is kind of a problem considering how many of his abilities (particularly his 3) rely on them to be effective. 

As such, giving the player an Augment that allows them to have at least one way to get a bunch of them for free would really have helped, but I guess this is what we have now. 

Edited by JohnLemon123

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-04-15 at 2:51 PM, SortaRandom said:

I mean, not to knock your preferences or anything, but taking such a long break from combat (usually ~1 second on most weapons with Primed Fury-- damn, I wish it were as short as 0.25s) just for a 50% chance for a lifesteal bonus seems a bit, well... not that great IMO.

I mean, my Zaw deals 30k damage at a 2x combo multiplier. That and radial blind have carried me through countless sorties and arbitrations. Maybe it's my inner Dark Souls player, but I find finishers incredibly satisfying for the sheer spectacle of it. Same reason I love high-slash weapons and sniper rifles; they may not be the most efficient, but efficiency for efficiency's sake is tedium, and college has enough of that for me. I see your point, but at the same time, Exodia Might is viable simply because I built Drifting Contact/Blood Rush and can turn any frame into Inaros, provided they have a blind attack

I get the feeling this augment was meant to add a bit more CC to the Reave, unless I'm wrong when a enemy is Reave-d (Is it Reaved?) Doesn't get stunned or anything, you just drain their health/armor/shields for yourself and that's it? 

A Shame through, I use a Zaw, would love to have some extra lifesteal on top of everything but heyho. 

Not exactly the worst augment we had, but for sure not too bad.