Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

And slowly Next Gen. is upon us.

This interview talks about the upcoming next gen. console from Sony(PS5 obviously) :

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

While it's not coming this year it isn't that far either and with that in mind what happens with Warframe?

While without a doubt WF will be supported still on PS4 even after the release of the PS5(at least I think so from my educated guess) there will be a point where a mandatory switch will be required to go from PS4 to PS5.

Why would it be mandatory? I guess there will be incentive as the PS4 population dwindles over time and people naturally migrate over to the PS5 but I doubt they'd force people to switch over, at least not for quite a while. There will still likely be plenty of people playing on the PS4 even years after the release of the PS5.

Just now, IntheCoconut said:

Why would it be mandatory? I guess there will be incentive as the PS4 population dwindles over time and people naturally migrate over to the PS5 but I doubt they'd force people to switch over, at least not for quite a while. There will still likely be plenty of people playing on the PS4 even years after the release of the PS5.

Are you implying Sony won't push people to buy their new console?

18 minutes ago, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

there will be a point where a mandatory switch will be required to go from PS4 to PS5

Will there be PS5 only games? Most likely.

WIll the PS5 support all PS4 games? Almost certainly, given that the processor architecture is the same (x86) and backwards compatibility with older consoles (PS3/PS2/PS1/etc) was made difficult by drastic processor architecture changes which drove the necessity of performing software emulation of hardware which can be both incredibly buggy and resource intensive. Sony has also mentioned they plan backwards compatibility.

Will Warframe cease support for the PS4, become a PS5 game and require PS4 players to switch to a PS5 to keep playing? Incredibly unlikely. Given backwards compatibility and the already existing PS4 Pro, it would make a lot more sense from a technical and business perspective to simply keep maintaining the PS4 version of the game while also adding in hooks for the software to realize it's running on a PS5 and adjust its graphics appropriately. Yes, Warframe on the PS5 will probably have better performance, higher resolutions, better detail, etc... but it makes a lot more sense to have a single set of software that will run on any of the 3 platforms; it's like running a PC game on a lower end PC, buying a higher end PC and running the same game--it's the same software, the same executable, just more capable hardware. 

Destiny, meanwhile, did have to drop PS3 support had to do it with its expansion(s). This was because in that case there was a humongous difference at the technical level between the two consoles; Bungie effectively had to develop two games with regards to how they interfaced with the hardware. In the case of PS4/PS4Pro/PS5, the system architecture (x86) is the same, and the driver sets and APIs for software will also be the same, meaning that games on the PS4/PS4Pro won't have to be completely rewritten to support drastically different API calls to run on PS5.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

^Thanks on all the info, good to know. But yeah what I meant with the mandatory switch was that there will be a point that WF(as the game is ever growing) will reach where the min. requirement won't be enough to run smoothly on PS4 but yeah that's something that shouldn't be expected any time soon.

Probably not. Warframe on PS4 is still quite a ways ahead of 'minimum' quality/resolution settings on a PC. If an upcoming large graphical overhauls or major gameplay change(s) which drive a need for increased performance requirements occurs, the quality on PS4 for said content can be adjusted so it will still run. 

• Like 1

Just now, Letter13 said:

Probably not. Warframe on PS4 is still quite a ways ahead of 'minimum' quality/resolution settings on a PC. If an upcoming large graphical overhauls or major gameplay change(s) which drive a need for increased performance requirements occurs, the quality on PS4 for said content can be adjusted so it will still run. 

Well that's interesting, DE surely done a great job on optimizing it.

Just now, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

Well that's interesting, DE surely done a great job on optimizing it.

Not having a humongous power/memory hog of an operating system with applications running in the background probably helps a great deal.

If you have a PC, try turning all of Warframe's settings to the lowest possible values. It looks much, much worse than the PS4 version currently runs at. That difference in quality is the 'margin' in which quality can be sacrificed to make up for performance losses. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

This interview talks about the upcoming next gen. console from Sony(PS5 obviously) :

While it's not coming this year it isn't that far either and with that in mind what happens with Warframe?

While without a doubt WF will be supported still on PS4 even after the release of the PS5(at least I think so from my educated guess) there will be a point where a mandatory switch will be required to go from PS4 to PS5.

That article doesn't mention the storage capacity of the PS5's internal SSD.  I'll take a guess that it will be 1 TB or smaller.  If you want to have a large number of digital versions of games readily avalable - you'll need to invest in a larger capacity internal SSD or an external one (if Sony allows this feature at launch).

3 minutes ago, GkarB5 said:

That article doesn't mention the storage capacity of the PS5's internal SSD.  I'll take a guess that it will be 1 TB or smaller.  If you want to have a large number of digital versions of games readily avalable - you'll need to invest in a larger capacity internal SSD or an external one (if Sony allows this feature at launch).

It doesn't, but some other have:

The rumor presently is a 2TB HDD. Not bad. It'll still fill up faster than you'd like, but they always do. 

I doubt they would have much issues with setting up the next console generation considering the PS5 is said to have backwards compatibility and not to mention that the current gen hardware and PC games are so easy to port back and forth with controller support becoming more and more standard on PC games. Most big name titles are designed and tested on a console and ported to PC these days anyway (for the last 10 years that's been the trend for multiplatform titles). Realistically this is how this will continue to work, PC and Xbox One games are interchangeable for the most part. I played Forza Horizon 4 with my friends on both platforms at the same time, cross play is becoming more and more standard as well because it is starting to make sense to have a console work just like a computer for general compatibility with media playback and other apps. 

51 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

Not having a humongous power/memory hog of an operating system with applications running in the background probably helps a great deal.

If you have a PC, try turning all of Warframe's settings to the lowest possible values. It looks much, much worse than the PS4 version currently runs at. That difference in quality is the 'margin' in which quality can be sacrificed to make up for performance losses. 

Id also like to think that PS4/PS5 will still be able to do cross play on games that come out on both systems.  Especially in those first early adoption years.  Its honestly going to determine if I get it at launch or wait.  If I can't play games with my friends who aren't upgrading, getting a ps5 wont be as appealing.

2 hours ago, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

most likely similar to D1 it was on 360 and PS3 but they were dropped with the siva DLC
it will likely be a few years after release most likely 1-2 years after official support for the console is dropped by Sony/Microsoft

4 hours ago, IntheCoconut said:

I imagine they would make PS5 updates backwards-compatible...at least until PS4 usage / ownership dropped significantly. Or possibly until Sony stopped supporting the console.

4 hours ago, IntheCoconut said:

My main worry was that PS4 would eventually reach a limit where WF wouldn't run so smooth due hardware limitations and therefore it would make sense switch onto next gen.Like it happened with GTAO where Lowriders was the first update to be current gen. only and therefore last gen. was dropped.

But as Letter13 explained it's not something to worry about.