Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hey, Rebecca & DE, remember 2014?

Ced23Ric

35 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Wait... You are a Rhino main? Lame

Oh, I certainly was. Nowadays, you'll find me on any frame that suits the mission. Volt is my go to for team utility and his 100% useful kit in every situation. If I don't want to die, ever, Hildryn got my back. Maximum nuke is Maimquinox. I'll put Rhino into Index & Eidolons, though. For casually coasting about, it's whatever frame I am working on to forma to Hek and back - once I am done with Harrow, Valkyr is on my ToDo list.

17 minutes ago, Cleesus said:

Nice to see you back, it’s been a long time

Funnily enough, I was gone more days than I had hours played. By a hair.

8 minutes ago, Kracken said:

Let the demons of the past stay in the past.

History, learning, repeating, and all that jazz. One shouldn't forget, but one should forgive.

2 minutes ago, Drasiel said:

ah Ced23Ric you have not lost your flair for writing up a threadnaught. Glad to see you back.

What can I say, I am a wordy guy.

1 minute ago, (XB1)KiryuStark said:

you got a wild ride ahead. 

Imagine my amazement when I got (spoiler) in TWW. I was hooked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ced23Ric said:

Oh boy.

8th of February 2014 was my last post here. After joining this venture when it was all just a mishmash of cleaned up assets from a declared DOA pitch, with a handful frames and just the Corpus Ship tileset (at 50% of the current tiles), I was here, user ID #1366. There were a few others, DE, and that was it. Closed Beta. Things were tiny and the game looked odd, but the very taste of potential kept me invested. From those humble beginnings, we grew - as a community, too. Rebecca asked me to become Warframe's first Community Moderator. Spearheaded the German translation team - I still have the badge ingame, too. Also joined a clan that went down in history and infamy as number one in all events they competed in. I remember visiting DE at their HQ and hanging out for half a day with Rebecca and other DE folks.

But times changed, and my mood grew sour. We fought, we *@##$ed, and the sparkly-eyed grass-roots player that was me had become a snide bittervet. Resigned my post as moderator. Ceased my work on the German translation team, too. I still have a warning point from that time when I went up against [DE]Megan and Letter13. Hasn't auto-expired, and I kinda like it there, to be fair. Not because I earned it, but because it's a reminder of what went down. Like a scar, if you want to be dramatic.

So, why tell you all this?

2014, when I left, I was MR15 and had played through the game twice over, done it all, broken records on Defense missions, and the only thing left in the game were the people I played with. But our toxicity boiled and brewed, and when things went down that are best left to the shroud of time, that all burst out and splashed over the rim of the barrel. I left. Many of "us" left. Our clan broke down. Well, not all of it - several stayed and kept the flag waving, albeit with mixed results. I for one moved on. At 1500h played, I was done. Zephyr had just come out and I hadn't even built her. Whatever.

We parted on solid, if somewhat tense terms, Reb.

And I was gone shortly after.

Then November 2018 came.

Until a friend of mine poked me about this game, Warframe, they're playing. Rolling my eyes I moaned and *@##$ed, and... didn't clamp shut. Instead, I listened after my opening tirade. Fast forward a few days, and I reinstalled the client for the first time in 4.5 years - other games rise and fall twice over in that time, soon to be forgotten, but Warframe was still going strong. I logged back in to see my old loadout ready, in the last colors I had given it - nostalgia. Rhino, Soma, Twin Gremlins, all forma'd to Hek and back. Trusty Carrier floating over the shoulder, too, sporting Grineer Loyalty marks on each shoulder. Millions of Nanospores.

But many things had changed, too. I had an Orbiter now. There were quests now. The menu look spiffy - and much like a proposal we had filed in 2014. Systems we had lamented had changed for the better. Man, look at all these shiny things. I didn't know anything about anything, and I was a bundle of old, bad habits. Rhino-main, the ground-based life form. My world had been Zoren-coptering, none of this silly bullet-jumping. My world had been Stamina-limited Parcours, not the seamless, endless motion system that was in place now. Time to learn how to walk again.

Alright, alright, that's how that works. Okay, all my guns are modded like I like to poke my nose with screwdrivers. Alright, melee has stances now. Mhmm, mhmm, you can get this from alerts and/or regular activities now? What are fissure? Sanctuary? Who is the Cephalon Ordis, and why does he keep memeing on me? I was a blue-eyed, naive child in a land of absolute wonder again. Everything felt so chaotic and fresh, so wild, so diverse and alive. All these tilesets, these frames, these missions and places to visit. The plethora of information alone. The wiki! Open drop rates, transparency, all this information - wow! Sure, it's out of game, but damn. That is such a wellspring of information. Within moments, I had things researched that had taken hours before.

Color me impressed. 

Now, April 2019, roughly five months after my return, I am back at MR27, with multiple Umbral-builds, all frames, all guns, modular gear, archwings, bla bla bla, the whole lot. Played Arby's, all the quests, events since, and I am back at a level of understanding and engine competency I had when I left. Only 1.2 million points of Mastery more, with my armory quadrupled in size. Now, I am following the DevStreams again. A sensible chuckle followed the drama around the chat mods, more snickering followed the Riven Mafia reveal, and I realized: That was me four years ago. That level of bitterness, of adversity to the pretty things, while focusing on the negative. Now I'm a little bit more grown up, a little bit more relaxed. I can analyze and look at things in a vacuum, without being so emotionally invested.

We all make mistakes, right?

I was wrong when I *@##$ed at the top of my lungs and joined the hordes of doomsayers. You were right to stay the course. I was too impatient, and you were too small to cater to the growing restlessness of your veterans. But you are more mature now, too, DE. I heard you, I read you, when you talked about power creep. When you talked about your NPE being S#&$ because you chase the veteran. Your decisions to monetize unfavorably to keep players invested over the quick cashgrab. You've made strides in general character, in sincere dialog. I was at the front of calling you out on it, how you didn't talk with us, but just over us. And I am glad that changed. I am glad that you admit your mistakes and that you are so rapid about fixing them. About compensations, about pushing changes even if a vocal minority complains, and about not being afraid to do crazy things.

Like Auras adding capacity. What a change that was back in the day, eh? Or like abolishing Stamina, and reworking Parcours, so the loss of Zoren-'coptering became much less felt.

So, in closing...

... we had some rough history. But I am glad I still have this account with the ID #1366, and I am glad you kept my data for 4.5 years without deleting any of it. It felt good to come back. It feels good to look at your streams with rekindled hope and curiosity. I got my warning point because I chirped how I was beyond caring, beyond giving a carp, and dismissing your efforts as pitiful morsels, decrying any new addition as too little, too late. Turns out, that person from 4.5 years ago would be hard-pressed to support their position now. I kinda used my fame back in the day to rabblerouse, and looking back, and after holding moderator positions in other places since, I realized what a thorn in the side I must've been. 

You know I've never been one to blindly praise of enter drone-mode. DE did wrong, and I stand by much of what I called you out on when it was valid. Now? Now you addressed almost all of it. You're on top of your game - literally, figuratively. There's no one to rouse for me anymore, nor do I have that pull anymore. But I'm alright with being a faceless nobody nowadays. Sometimes, people comment on my CBT tag on the profile, or my MR27, or I get messages on where to get Excalibro Prime. That's about it. People forgot about me, and there are so many millions that have joined long after I left, they never knew me.

You've grown up. And you grew up nicely. But by your own admission - and that alone is a change for the better - you are far from perfect or done. And that shows me that it was me who didn't have the breath and stamina to stick around for those years I wasn't. I'm back now, and I feel like I chose a good time to return. It's a golden age in Warframe now, and I cannot wait to see Gas City 2.0, The New War and more.

Also, Wisp's butt, but you know everyone's waiting for that one. Adoring your role as the beacon of morale in those streams, it's well executed.

Kind regards,
Ced,
- ex community moderator
- ex translator

Welcome back to the fold! Really nice story.

It probably wasn't such a bad thing, taking an extended break, as its allowing you to look at the game with fresh eyes and see all the progress DE have made since then.

Even in the mere 18 months since I started playing I've seen some pretty major changes, which does give me hope for the game's future.

However, if we are to stick with the game, we will need a pretty big well of patience, as it does take the devs a long while to create significant chunks of new content. Not to mention sorting out the usual bug list and trying to re-balance things that are considered OP or under-powered.

I'm starting to see a point up ahead, in the not-too-distant future, where I will have done pretty much everything in the game that I'm interested in. At which point I will probably take a break...but will most definitely continue to watch dev streams and keep in touch via the forum etc. until such time as I'm ready to play again.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

1 hour ago, Ced23Ric said:

Imagine my amazement when I got (spoiler) in TWW. I was hooked.

I had that spoiled before I came back and I was on a mad dash to get it from day one. Only for me a mad dash was carefully constructing my attack before I even attempted the story missions. By the time I got there it was no sweat. I had ACCIDENTALLY met all the conditions for the Pluto junction before I even got to it. Batman and boy scouts got nothing on my preparation game. 

idunno, now it's the reverse, where only the new Player is chased, though the New Player Experience still isn't really much better.

doesn't help that Equipment thesedays is all about using what you're ordered to use, and if you stray from what you've been ordered to use, it'll be deleted out of existence because you're not supposed to do that, you're supposed to use this exact A, B, C to do Content J. 
that being paired with everything having its own 'drawn out of a hat' method of mathematically calculating. almost every Mod or mechanic invents some new kind of math that didn't exist before in the game, to make sure that everything is as overcomplicated, unreliable, and prone to Bugs/Et Cetera as possible.

not really sure who is being chased then, since the New Player Experience is still as it is and Veterans still wondering what there is to do past grinding some new unique Stats for each piece of content as a timegate, and then waiting for Timers infinitely after way.
maybe someone else has more of an idea of who is being chased, but i can't identify anybody that is.

also hey, old timer. :p

Edited by taiiat

41 minutes ago, (XB1)KiryuStark said:

Batman and boy scouts got nothing on my preparation game. 

I arrived without a Mote Amp, and I went all the way to The Sacrifice without that. Only when I had all the quests done, including Harrow's, I was told to visit Cetus. Then I got an amp. And I looked back and thought, "You know, that could've been one heck of a lot easier." - but it was funnier that way.

15 minutes ago, taiiat said:

maybe someone else has more of an idea of who is being chased, but i can't identify anybody that is.

Considering that DE is currently a) revamping old content b) adding new content c) expanding on what you can do with what you have and d) creating opportunities for endurance runs as fast as one can rightfully expect a developer to do so, I'd say you have those black-tinted glasses of a bittervet. Not to offend or attack you - it's just a matter of honest observation. DE makes plenty of mistakes, still, but they keep pushing the excitement driven development, and they are honestly doing a whole lot a lot faster than things used to go. It's not all that dark, friend. Just remember that no developer can create content as fast as a fully-kitted veteran can consume it. 

You got it good. And it's entirely fine to take breaks. 

And after working my way through many, many frames (currently sitting at 21 frames with umbral builds), many weapons (35 primaries with maxed mods and rivens, etc...) I'll be quick to say that the landscape of gear and loadouts is more diverse than ever. Especially in DEAC/StarChart territory you won't find a frame that cannot perform.

oLi031n.png

Even Vauban, and he really needs some love.

Considering that DE is currently a) revamping old content b) adding new content c) expanding on what you can do with what you have
creating opportunities for endurance runs

but they keep pushing the excitement driven development, and they are honestly doing a whole lot a lot faster than things used to go.
Just remember that no developer can create content as fast as a fully-kitted veteran can consume it. 

I'll be quick to say that the landscape of gear and loadouts is more diverse than ever. Especially in DEAC/StarChart territory you won't find a frame that cannot perform.

new passes over old content is neat, but doesn't change that Gameplay wise i'm pretty much standing around waiting for timers(that are all separate and therefore asks the Player to idle for umpty dumpty hours in many different separate places), or being punished for not cheating meanwhile having my wrists slapped for cheating. game tells me to do one thing, Digital Extremes another. 
what opportunities for endurance? maybe Arbitrations in a kindof sortof way? only just barely if at all, via that Enemies still don't have any sort of 'scaling' that makes them any harder and that at best there is no acknoledgement/Reward for playing longer than the bare minimum, and more often, punishment because the content generally only rewards cycling Loading Screens faster, ala shorter Missions.

are things faster? hundreds of games over the decades that intend to be around for a long time (soooo, basically every MMO) has already found out time and time again that Events and the game world changing to give some meaning to basic Gameplay is what's interesting longterm in Video Games. a reason to do __ or some new __. 
i don't need yet another Gun that just shoots bullets or yet another Warframe that has Damage, CC, Support/Damage, and Damage as its entire design purpose. more stuff in my Arsenal doesn't give me more to actually do.
i don't need content faster than i can finish it, because that implies that content is just some Stats to grind or whatever. instead something to do

sure, you can use basically anything in some random Mission... because the Mission is about standing around waiting for a Timer anyways. or just walking from A to B. but if that's all it's about then all you'd want is to move faster, or have automatic CC/Damage. but the game is allergic to CC type Abilities thesedays, those aren't allowed to do anything except to Enemies that don't matter (all of the Trash Units). so instead you have automatic Damage. just radiate some Damage so that you can do something else while you wait for the Timer since the Timer is what you're playing.
plenty of new neato stuff, and i can say "hey that looks cool" or whatever, though that new Gun or Warframe Kills random whatever Enemies or tanks them just fine like most anything else does. almost like a Skin for things that i basically already have.
but then whether some new Arsenal thing were to actually be unique or not (leaning towards not thesedays, every Weapon is a Crit Slash Hybrid, every Warframe is some Damage, some CC, some Support, with extra Damage sprinkled in like i mentioned)...ultimately what am i even going to do with it anyways.

and on the rare occasion that there is Content which is less of an idle Timer, most or almost all Game Mechanics will be disabled so your Equipment choices are nil anyways, you use what you've been mandated to use because everything else has been disabled.

so, i just wait, for things to do. i don't really think i'm ever going to get what i'm looking for though, just more Stats instead. but i have plenty of those already.

Edited by taiiat
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BDMblue said:

Sooooo.... I’m wondering who were you in the community before?

I joined when Loki could be a starter frame did I pass you?

Your user ID is 1,109,797. You joined January 23, 2015.
My user ID is 1,366. I joined December 27, 2012, and left 8th of February 2014.

We never met. You joined a year after I was already gone, friend.

4 часа назад, Ced23Ric сказал:

Valkyr may not be exciting or meta-crowning at the moment, but she is in a better place than Voobin or Literally Whokong.

With upcoming melee 3.0 + reworks for Vauban and Wukong already in progress situation is getting beyond worse for Valk. Plus Exal can do her work twice better...

4 часа назад, Ced23Ric сказал:

Oh, I downed the wolfie three times now, and thanked him heartily for the three Fever Strikes, aka 30 Endo he gave me after slurping up all my ammo. What a Chad

RNG in nutshell. Well, Wolf will continue to hunt us down after the Nightwave ends + if you'll manage to farm bp and motor - you can get remaning parts for <35p(or even cheaper. But this hammer is worth the grind. Pure damage build - high lvl enemies die or fly away left and righ.

Your user ID is 1,109,797. You joined January 23, 2015.
My user ID is 1,366. I joined December 27, 2012, and left 8th of February 2014.

We never met. You joined a year after I was already gone, friend.

Ah you said something about fame or w/e so I was wondering that. 

Or is it a founder ID? Because I don’t even know or care to find out how to look them up :S

Just now, BDMblue said:

Or is it a founder ID? Because I don’t even know or care to find out how to look them up :S

Your user profile:

https://forums.warframe.com/profile/1109797-bdmblue/

1109797!

@Ced23Ric Welcome back! I don't think I remember you from my early days here, but glad to see you got back and enjoying the game ^_^

2 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

Your user profile:

https://forums.warframe.com/profile/1109797-bdmblue/

1109797!

@Ced23Ric Welcome back! I don't think I remember you from my early days here, but glad to see you got back and enjoying the game ^_^

Well I said I did not care about that.... it’s just from parts of what he said I thought maybe he was some commenter or something. Maybe people knew more about all the DE staff back then. Not just Meg Reb and Pab

6 hours ago, BDMblue said:

If you give the first paragraphs of the OP a read, you'll find that answered. Back in the day, I used to be everywhere on these forums, and the people I was "with" were among the most prolific and vocal running about. You'll even still find effects of our... passionate feedback and creativity today. Be it the Kronen, designed by one of us, or the Snipetron Vandal, which had some wild plans in the inital days of figuring things out, until I had a heart-to-heart with Rebecca about the event that brought it. It's little things. Not everything survived. I am sure a lot of the German translations I was working on are no longer in the game, replaced by new lines.

But it doesn't matter, either. It's good enough, and very good indeed, that some people from back when remember, and for those who never knew me, it's just a story to read and like - or glean some perspective from. And that's nice, too.

Edited by Ced23Ric
  • Like 1