Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we please have manual blocking back

45 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

I fully agree with this.

I would love to be able to actually use Vaykor Sydons radial blind reliably....but as it stands I can't just pull it out, block with guardian derision to pull attacks for a quick charge, and then blind everyone.  Now I just have to hope that enemies attack me before I reach them...which makes it utterly pointless and completely unreliable.

I also enjoyed used ElectroMagnetic Shielding and Guardian Derision in my rage builds...but can't do that anymore as I can't block to actually make use of either of those mods...

I also wish there was a toggle for auto block.  I hate how the game will go "Oh you're charging a redeemer shot or a glaive throw?  Would be a shame if an enemy shot you and interrupted it by forcing you to block!"

One good change that came from this was the ability to store the charge on the sydon and set it off with the channel button rather than having to potentially waste it or accidentally waste it. If we got manual block back that would be the icing on the cake for the sydon.

15 hours ago, xZeromusx said:

Electromagnetic Shielding and Guardian Derision are good reasons to not block at certain times and to require the complete control of blocking to remain manual. It's almost as if you haven't thoroughly played the game.

True, I've never bothered equipping these useless mods. They're somewhere in the pile of hundreds of other useless mods that I've never equipped. Given that there's no reason to use these mods, I stand by what I said, that there's no reason to not block.

Edited by SordidDreams

11 hours ago, Obviousclone said:

because melee now forces you into your stance mods

If your stance mod controls your mobility like brutal tide or twirling spire then you are now stuck doing that instead of simply bopping your opponent and then moving on.

In other words, it's not a problem with melee 2.9, but with stances. And since this issue is now at the forefront, instead of being ignored by the playerbase, maybe we can actually start seeing some fixes.

Just now, SneakyErvin said:

Yes we need manual blocking back or have exalted melee count as having only melee equipped when active. Currently Valkyr is broken to a point where she is unplayable if built for Hysteria due to auto-block and auto-switch to range on RMB/Glide.

That is another problem with all this.
You go to exalted melee, accidently bump your RMB and suddenly you don't have it out...and yet you're still paying energy for it (last time I checked at least)!
Which is especially bad in Valkyrs case because you lose all benefit of having it out and yet still have the escalating drain.

DE should at least stop the energy drain when that happens until you switch back to the exalted melee...or provide an option that prevents RMB from just dumping you out of melee mode so you don't accidentally put away your exalted melee while still paying for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tsukinoki said:

That is another problem with all this.
You go to exalted melee, accidently bump your RMB and suddenly you don't have it out...and yet you're still paying energy for it (last time I checked at least)!
Which is especially bad in Valkyrs case because you lose all benefit of having it out and yet still have the escalating drain.

DE should at least stop the energy drain when that happens until you switch back to the exalted melee...or provide an option that prevents RMB from just dumping you out of melee mode so you don't accidentally put away your exalted melee while still paying for it.

Yep. And for Valk it is even more deadly than just the energy because it removes her invulnerability so now she has her minimal shield and hp pool to rely on during the glide.

I dont think DE thought it really through when they came upw ith 2.9. 

I like the whole "no more quick melee" thing, but that could have simply been done by having everything work as before, except for LMB switching you back to range weapon. I see absolutley no reason at all as to why RMB is a forced weapon swap with aim-glide.

44 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

I like the whole "no more quick melee" thing, but that could have simply been done by having everything work as before, except for LMB switching you back to range weapon. I see absolutley no reason at all as to why RMB is a forced weapon swap with aim-glide.

I mean, I do see SOME value to it. Bringing up the weapon without aiming it for alt-fire or just fine-tuning aim.

That said, that's of a similar level of value to manual block in the grand scheme of thing., and Manual Block enabled aim-glide whilst maintaining defences. Which IS still in the game - if you get shot at whilst in the air with melee out you start aim gliding. And that's frustrating.

Honestly, my preferred system would be a double-click. Tap once to block, double-click to draw gun to aim. Add an Option to swap it over if you want as well.

I'd really need autoblocking to be a toggle. Yes, I said need and that is because the constant autoblocking effects can trigger my migraine in less than 5 minutes. That means up to 72 hours of excrusiating pain, nausea and no sleep. I used to play mainly melee and I loved it, now I have to avoid it as much as I can. Didn't have any issues with this until melee 2.9 and I like most of the changes so it really annoys me that this one thing had reduced my enojyment of the game by a significant amount.

On 2019-04-22 at 6:55 AM, SordidDreams said:

True, I've never bothered equipping these useless mods. They're somewhere in the pile of hundreds of other useless mods that I've never equipped. Given that there's no reason to use these mods, I stand by what I said, that there's no reason to not block.

Anything can be useless if you don't know how to use it.

2 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

Or it can be useless just due to being useless.

I think there's been plenty of testimony here to show that these mods in particular are not useless. There's plenty of use in them when built correctly with Rage or Hunter Adrenaline, for tanking, effectively I might add, with powerful healing frames like Oberon and Trinity. Sure, there are some mods in the game that have little use, but they all have some niche benefits to them.

On 2019-04-21 at 8:05 PM, (XB1)The Neko Otaku said:

Blocking is not that important. Why block when you can just bullet jump on the enemy and smack him with a sword? 2.9 makes melee faster to use and keeps the flow of combat going

The current system totally breaks the functionality of some weapons, you cant do a charge shot on a redeemer under fire due to autoparry, you cant deploy the zenistar disc for the same reasons, also some people actually use Guardian Derision and/or Electromagnetic Shielding on ack and brunt , both of which arent useable as they only function during block, which means those mods are 100% useless until an auto parry occurs which isnt good enough...  there are several other issues but those 2 would be my main gripes and they are pretty big issues for some.

On 2019-04-22 at 2:46 AM, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

I'm not entirely against Auto blocking.  But I do wonder the purpose of it

the whole point of the revamp was to cut down on buttons needed for console owners, another idea of theirs was to remove walking and have us run all the time, thus cutting down on another button to press for console owners, and since the console versions came into being, the PC version has to conform/be dumbed down to stand in line as they stick to uniformity.

Personally the only thing i like on the new melee system is the angled slam attacks and letting the zenistar disc be launched without equipping it first.

39 minutes ago, Methanoid said:

The current system totally breaks the functionality of some weapons, you cant do a charge shot on a redeemer under fire due to autoparry, you cant deploy the zenistar disc for the same reasons,

That's a lie i just went to test zenistar and redeemer and i was able preform heavy attacks with no interruption from auto parry

1 minute ago, (XB1)The Neko Otaku said:

That's a lie i just went to test zenistar and redeemer and i was able preform heavy attacks with no interruption from auto parry

autoparry stops the charge attack while you spin your weapon around deflecting incoming fire meaning you have to retry the attempt.  it happens with the zenistar, the redeemer and any other weapon with a similar hold/charge gimmick.

4 hours ago, Methanoid said:

the whole point of the revamp was to cut down on buttons needed for console owners, another idea of theirs was to remove walking and have us run all the time, thus cutting down on another button to press for console owners, and since the console versions came into being, the PC version has to conform/be dumbed down to stand in line as they stick to uniformity.

Personally the only thing i like on the new melee system is the angled slam attacks and letting the zenistar disc be launched without equipping it first.

I mean if that's the only real reason I don't see why they can't create a toggle option for auto or manual in the settings.  I get it's more work but it would seem like the smarter choice.

Yeah. I’m kind of on the fence with it.  I hardly went full melee unless I wanted to do an infested endurance run or was necessary for whatever reason. Manual block was pretty much muscle memory so I never even thought about it.  Does it really add/detract from the experience if it’s manual or a auto block?

On 2019-04-22 at 4:05 AM, (XB1)The Neko Otaku said:

Blocking is not that important. Why block when you can just bullet jump on the enemy and smack him with a sword? 2.9 makes melee faster to use and keeps the flow of combat going

tenor.gif?itemid=12569475

5 hours ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

I mean if that's the only real reason I don't see why they can't create a toggle option for auto or manual in the settings.  I get it's more work but it would seem like the smarter choice.

its weirder than that because the "old" system is actually still there when you only equip a melee weapon, you can readily manually block np, so why there isnt already a toggle/option is mind boggling.

Some of the stances are a bit annoying, but otherwise I'm loving the new melee. I prefer dodge rolling so I personally never used blocking (other than aimglide), but if adding manual blocking back into the game would make people happy, then I hope DE can do it! 

So this is a pretty niche situation but I have an Ash build that I like using fatal teleport, dagger zaw, covert lethality, life strike, and exodia might.  The idea is you channel then teleport to the enemy and execute them getting health and energy back.   The problem is with auto block and channeling all my energy gets drained right away which is really annoying.  Also aim gliding puts away my melee turning off channeling which breaks the build.  Pretty happy with the rest of melee 2.9 just bring back blockgliding.