Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please fix Sawgaws

Monstercatinabox

I know this has been mentioned before but I have to say it again, Sawgaws are broken and very hard to capture in conservation.
I'm pretty sure that the hit boxes on Sawgaws have been broken for a while and even though you can still try and capture a Sawgaw by only shooting in the back (Because that's the only place the registers as a hit apparently) this is very annoying because you need to get into a good enough position on a mushroom to shoot it and pray that it's got it's back facing towards you and is not on a mushroom above you or it lands on a mushroom you can easily get to so you can stand directly behind it and tranq it before it flys off 2 seconds after landing.

The main reason I really want this to be fixed is because im currently working on a Dojo project that involves gathering A LOT of Floofs and I just feel so frustrated that getting Sawgaw Floofs is so painful now that this bug still persists in the game.  

• Like 4

It is indeed horrendous how sawgaws react lately.
Firing a tranq dart at them, suddenly makes them rubberband to a nearby spot instead.

Other times, the dart obviously lands.
But flies right through.

Here is a video, displaying their erratic and infuriating behaviour.

Spoiler

But not just Sawgaws.

Condroc and mergoo, also like to act weird.
Both need to be shot while still in the air, to prevent them from circling around endlessly.
And it's quite lovely, to fire 30 darts at 1 condroc, in an attempt to get a lucky hit at last.

Furthermore
Many of the birds, just love to sink inside the floor, should you use an ability.
A sleep ability..., and they just, fall right through.
Leaving guaranteed 'good' to 'bad' captures.

Which gives the same result, when using the tranq rifle instead.
As 1 dart is enough to get the others spooked.
Making them become, less than perfect captures automatically.

• 1 month later...

i figured i'd try hitting sawgaws with the tranq rifle while in archwing.  what looked like multiple hits did nothing till it finally got close enough to spook and fly off.  then i tried just camping out on a nearby mushroom till it landed right next to me, dart passed right through, sawgaw spooked.  now a couple days ago, i could occasionally get one darted  what gives here?

ok, further testing.  took ivara out and tried navigator to guide a dart to target a few times, no downed sawgaws.  tried from prowl and unloaded 15 shots into a landed sawgaw, nothing.  tried shots from 50m without ablities, shots i typically land on pobbers and other small critters, nothing.  got fed up, jumped over to the sawgaw and popped off two rounds into its face before it flew off like it didn't care.

mind you, this is all in a solo instance.  i'd say something is broken.

edit: equinox sleep still works on sawgaws.  3 perfect caps.

Edited by nl37tgt
additive
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bug is still present. When I hunt Sawgaws, they slide around instead of being hit when I shoot tranqs at them from the side or the dart just despawns in the air so it can't hit them unless I get on the same mushroom as them. The only time I have been able to tranq one was when I sat on a mushroom using Ivara's Prowl and shot it in the only part of its hitbox which seems to be reliable. That is to say, the front, as tranq shots seem to just pass through if you shoot at the sides or back.

• 3 weeks later...

I can do one better. I was able to trank it, but then I couldn't pick it up. After a while it actually woke up and tried to fly away (but was stuck in the fungi))

Sagsaw-woke-up.jpg

Edited by Xenos1990
Additional information

Seems like their meshes/hitboxes are misplaced.....because they slide backwards as they try to take off. 

And that also causes them to "fall" through the floor....As actual physical mesh simply falls near the Fungi, while visible, misplaced model goes straight through it.

And there is one more bug: they always land for only 1 second.  Like some sort of machine.  Does not look/feel natural at all.  Sitting duration must vary. Where is rng when you need it.....

I've just been hunting on the orb for about an hour getting this nightwave out of the way. 

after calling the bird,  i jump up onto one of the mushrooms, turn invis, (as ivara)  trang in hand,  aiming ready, bird lands literally right beside me,  i fire twice into the face,  the bird glitchs sideways a bit, then takes off.  .. this happened 3 times in a row at 3 different spots.  

how can direct hits to the face not be counted.  i was point blank standing beside the birds,  less than 5 feet from their land point, and fired at thier heads.  how are these not considered hits?

just gonna ignore Sawgaws til they're fixed.  DE  its a useless addon if the animal is invincible and glitches out of the way of your shots.  

if the physical character of the bird and its digital hit box are not in the same place,  then please get that sorted.  a direct hit should be counted as a direct hit. 

not wasting my time with Capture nightwaves if this is the kind of BS you're expecting to put us through. 

• 3 weeks later...

or you take the easy way out and cheese conservation by not using the tranq rifle at all, just sleep the damn birds, always perfect capture

Edit:
I too had noticed it was hard, so after 2 fails I switched to cheesing
so yes, this probably needs some fixing

Edited by BlackVortex

On 2019-07-30 at 9:33 PM, Xenos1990 said:

I can do one better. I was able to trank it, but then I couldn't pick it up. After a while it actually woke up and tried to fly away (but was stuck in the fungi))

Sagsaw-woke-up.jpg

..or you could hit it with Ivara's sleep arrow, whereupon it will fall though the mushroom and vanish. Seems appropriate in a mission about actual piles of crap 😉

Bug appears to be related to the collision detection on a Sawgaw's landed/stationary model.

I have repeatedly tracked a Sawgaw approaching a fungus and everything looks normal until it has fully landed, and then it's like it just temporarily stopped existing. Shots that visually appear to have hit the bird have no effect, and the name and healthbar that usually indicate a valid target under your crosshair do not appear. The moment it spreads its wings to fly off, the name reappears.

Ivara's Sleep Arrows still seem to work even on landed Sawgaws (although as other posters have mentioned, the bird sometimes vanished into the fungus); so there may be a difference between the single-target and AoE hit-detection, or the hitboxes might be off by enough that a direct hit isn't registering but not enough that they're not inside a multiple-meter AoE effect - possibly clipped down into the fungus?

I haven't yet managed to land a (confirmed...) tranq hit on an airborne Sawgaw, but based on the above observations I suspect that it would work correctly - it's just when the bird is landed that things look broken. Since I assume this is supposed to be the easy time to tranq them, it would be great to have this fixed.