Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Spawn rules: Did I miss something?

i.Faust

So I've played this game for a while and went on a hiatus shortly after PoE was introduced. I came back around Feb this year (I did return before that but they were just whims since I was bored or that I heard there was an update about the story). Now that I am back I have been farming left and right just to catch up. I'm even still using MOTE amp lol but I'm working my way up, I even found a small clan that's growing nicely.

Anyway, our leader decided to farm for resources since some new members also needed them. I got nothing better to do so I went with them as Nekros. We did survival against infested.

I was very surprised when our leader was strongly against bringing beasts in survival because it will mess up the spawn rate. I've been with parties before who brought pets and nothing really happened with the spawn rate but our leader said that monsters don't spawn in our line of sight and beast provides that line of site as well so it'll mess up the spawn?

Also, our leader kept on insisting to "close the door" from where we were camping and not go near it so it won't open unless an infested gets close because it will also mess up the spawn rate if we leave it open?

I'm really confused right now, I've been farming with Nekros for ages on survival with the door open and just blasting incoming beast with my Lenz. There are even moments when we go YOLO and just go out and melee everything that moves without spawn problems, even stayed longer than 40 minutes+ without using life support but to be forced to obey this "new rule" that our leader strongly insist on us to follow because it's "how it works now" (leader's words) makes me wonder if I missed something when I was on hiatus?

Edited by i.Faust

Some people get weird ideas about how to be super efficient with farming. And yeah, dude might even be right about pets providing extra lines of sight messing with spawns, but it's such an incredibly minor influence that planning around it really isn't necessary.

That, and giving up Smeeta charm just to sometimes get slightly closer spawns is just stupid.

• Like 2

wow....only thing that i can say to this is that it sounds so incredible anti-fun to be part of it.

Yes, you might get a few % more of a certain ressource caring for all kinds of stuff, but if that means that i am not allowed to do 3 steps in one direction, keeping doors closed, not bringing pets i might want to bring and so on - no thanks. I did very few of those kind of runs with clanmates, and it has been one of the most boring experiences in Warframe for me!

(btw, i also think some rules like all players stick together should be followed, but if the flow of the game gets one of them in another room for a minute, my god who cares, at least everybody can have some fun while farming then, and as long as there is no ultimate-max-range-limbo stopping all enemies right where they spawn, lifesupport and everything will be fine)

• Like 3

I normally run with a cat and never seen any issues. I think it more that enemies don't spawn within range of players than it is a line of sight. When a door is closed it might move spawn point right behind the door rather than further away. So if a pet is running around in the other room it might make them spawn father away if anything. 

I have also been told the rumor that Nekros spawned pets can hurt enemy spawns. If we are low on Oxygen I will ask for no pets just incase but based on the 60min survival last night it seem to not really matter.

For farming I like to have a speedva and nekros to start. Speedva helps get the far away mobs to run faster to you and just zone out.

There has always been the old "hallway hero" issue where enemies don't (or try not to at least) spawn while within close enough proximity to a player and in their line of sight. However I've never heard of companions also causing this issue, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it does cause a slight issue.

But it seems your "leader" was grossly exaggerating the impact it could have. Companions don't stray that far from you anyways and if you're using a Smeeta the amount of benefits it gives plus the chance of double affinity and/or resources would outweigh any issues it could cause.

However if there is anything regarding a loadout to consider before going into an endless it might just be enemy radar. I've not done very extensive testing on it myself nor have I seen concrete evidence on it's effects but it seems that enemies getting marked on the map use a more aggressive ai pattern that causes them to reach you sooner. Something to do with enemies that aren't visible in any way using a simplified ai for performance reasons.

1 hour ago, XRosenkreuz said:

-snip-

Yeah, that's what I thought but apparently, our leader insisted it's "how things are now".

49 minutes ago, DreisterDino said:

-snip-

Yes, I wanted to just have fun while helping our new players but instead we got choked by these "rules" that our leader forcefully enforced. It was not fun, I lost my mood. To me it did not matter if the door was open, enemies will come like they always do but our leader insisted on keeping it closed because my way (from my many past experiences playing this game) is wrong and our leader's way is the correct method because it's how things work "now".

and yes, certain rules should be followed like sticking together in a corner if someone has a Nekros or a Hydroid and if none, gathering near life support and fight around it, but not too far to split spawns, those are good rules. 

1 hour ago, Zelmen said:

-snip-

Yes, I am aware that enemies could spawn behind the door but at the end of the day, those same doors will constantly open as enemies start to enter which makes no difference if the door is open or not. Besides, there are no stopping enemies from spawning on blind spot corners anyway. 

and rumors are just rumors unless someone does actual testing and provide concrete proof, if not then I see it as a myth. It's not uncommon though for games to have their own myths that some people believe in because it works for them. I remember there was a type where opening relics, one has to wait outside the extraction and let the counter reach 0 to get those rare drops and there are people who really believed that. Anyway, I rarely use my 4 on Nekro's because I find it annoying and I'd rather see my enemies clearly than have a bunch of them block our sight or attacks. I only use it for emergencies like when everyone is getting overwhelmed and I need some meat shield to redirect aggro.

1 hour ago, trst said:

-snip-

I just recently acquired a pet but I've been with a party who brought them and so far, there have been no problems and if there was something, it's most likely small. 

and yes, I have personally noticed that too, if we see our enemies in our minimap, they tend to be more aggressive in coming to you but I have no interest in doing tests nor do I have the attention span of repeating the said test for an X amount of times. It could just be normal and we just think they seem aggressive is because we see them coming to us compared to being blind as to where they are.

56 minutes ago, Dark_Lugia said:

Yeah, splitting up also splits enemies. I also notice that when someone tries to run to get life support. Though I'm not sure what happens to them when you return to your spot though. Do they chase you or do they stand there from afar waiting for you to come back or do they get erased?

It’s strange they say it doesn’t effect spawns. If you have. Ever had a shadow of the dead glitch and get past 7 to like 30+ of them then you only find like 7 AI at a time.

just knowing that we can also know that maybe 1 won’t do anything but 2 or 3 Nekros well. 

Another point is solo it would never effect anything because AI spawns less guys only in a 4 man does it go to max. So if Reb wants to prove it does nothing make 4 Nekros in a group all use shadows then let’s see that spawn.

@i.Faust
Once an enemy is spawned, he won´t despawn, they´ll get teleported near you.
You can test that in endless mission: if you don´t kill anyone the level won´t increase because no new enemies are getting spawned and old ones keep their level.
Or you get someone to play nova and let them use molecular prime, if you know run away you´ll notice that enemies near you have that debuff, if they would be new ones they would be out of range or wouldn´t been spawned yet.

6 hours ago, i.Faust said:

Also, our leader kept on insisting to "close the door" from where we were camping and not go near it so it won't open unless an infested gets close because it will also mess up the spawn rate if we leave it open?

This is correct. Essentially, enemies can't spawn in "active" rooms, which means any room where you could potentially have LoS to them spawning in. This means that if a door to a room is open due to a player standing in/near it, no enemies will spawn in that room, regardless of whether it's a Defense spawn closet or a giant map tile.

What that means is that if you're doing the proper survival thing and all camping the same room, opening a door leading into it will push enemy spawns farther away (sometimes literal minutes of travel time for large rooms) from where you are, which can drastically slow down your kill rate.

Can't speak to the pet thing.