Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The First Person View - A Fictional Concept about how First Person could work

Rise_The_Drake

Hello! In the following thread I will describe what would be my take on a new optional view-type, first-person. I've been dwelling over this topic for a good year or two now, and while clearly aware of the fact that this concept will likely not be part of the game anytime soon, I do feel like it should be shared, just for preservation's sake.

So... a first-person view. What is it. This would be an alternative, toggle-able view-type, just like the shoulderviews. One button could simply, smoothly or snappily change between the two modes, therefore leaving it independent.

In this view, the camera would be positioned where the warframe's head is. The entire body except the head would be rendered for the player for full immersion. The angle of view should be independent of the warframe's head movements coming from idle animations, or soft melee. However, certain actions that involve heavy head movements such as complicated melee movement, bullet and double jumping, and rolling could prove the previous difficult. In this case, a setting could be applied. First setting would be that when these actions occur, the view gets (softly) locked with the warframe's head, keeping the immersion, but breaking the aim for a split second. Second option would be to retain the view forward while the actions happen, and in the same time, stylishly decrease the opacity of the warframe's mesh so it doesn't obscure the view. It will break the immersion, but can help retain aiming and precision. The last setting would be a soft snap out into third person as these actions happen. Pretty self explanatory.

If we ever wanted to make first-person views, some animations would need changes. These would be the idle, aim and fire animations of primary and secondary weapons. The idle animations of said weapons should be swapped with the animations of non-aim firing. (ege. firing a pistol without aiming only renders the warframe holding it with one hand), this would include primaries too, even though they have the same animation for firing without aiming, and aiming. In first person, the held weapon should always be visible, either with unique idle animations, or just with constant aiming. In the main time, another setting would appear: ADS or simple zoom. Similarly to for example GTA:V, there could be an ADS mode, where aiming brings the weapon to the center of the screen and uses it's sights, if they have any, for aiming. The other would be the simple zoom, which keeps the weapon at place, but zooms forward. All of the above could be controlled with settings.

As far as I am concerned, the aiming reticle wouldn't need much of an overhaul. Hit-scan weapons always follow a straight line from the view-point into the reticle's center, while projectile weapons follow a line from the warframe's weapons into the reticle. When moving the view into first-person, this should not cause any problems.

For the first-person view, it is advisable to increase the resolution of the textures on the weapons, and warframe arms... if not, the entire warframe. Since the player will see the said things from very close, low-res textures might put them off.

And that concludes my catastrophic thread about a fictional function that may never be implemented. My aim with this was a way to make use of the very detailed reload and firing animations lots of weapons have, increase immersion experience, and make the game more accessable to players who are not comfortable with the third-person aspect. Thank you lots for reading. If you have feedback, do tell! Both you, the playerbase, and DE. If you ever read this of course...

TL:DR

It wont happen, adding a 1st Person option to the game requires changing too much of the core mechanics. Also, 1st person would hinder pretty much everything that makes the game's mobility so great as some movements would either become impossible or unpractical to use with the camera in 1st person.

Another issue would be visibility as in 3rd person you have a far wider field of view which gives you better advantage in the battle field for knowing which direction enemies are coming from and dodging their incoming attacks. 

Edited by BiancaRoughfin