Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

In-universe profanity?

Bismarke

Writing fanfic for fun... Yeah that's all the context there is lol.

Is there in-universe profanity that Tenno, Corpus, and/or Grineer characters would reasonably shout? I mean I could just use real swears, but where's the fun in that? 

Edited by CanadianGold96
stupid auto-emoji had to die

6 minutes ago, CanadianGold96 said:

Is there in-universe profanity that Tenno, Corpus, and/or Grineer characters would reasonably shout?

There is one example of actual in-game profanity by the Grinner, in the quote "Ruu, gar Tenno son-of-a-gutora!" (Die, you Tenno son-of-a-well,whathaveyou)

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Grineer/Quotes

9 minutes ago, CanadianGold96 said:

Is there in-universe profanity that Tenno, Corpus, and/or Grineer characters would reasonably shout?

Corpus consider the ideas of charity and generosity heretical, so there's material to work with there. Grineer aren't too keen on mutations and disloyalty, so cracking open some Warhammer 40k glossaries should give you everything you need.

As for Tenno, we actually came up with something once: renaming the Twin Basolk to the Twin Bolsak

https://www.warframe.com/chains-of-harrow-comic

Page 6 has some swearing by a tenno. Not sure how cannon that is, though. It's an official lore comic, but the words don't really seem to fit the WF universe.

Here is a list of all the random lines Corpus shout during missions; judging from how clinical most of the quotes sound, I'm not sure crewman are even mentally capable of profanity. The Corpus language is essentially just English with the consonants swapped around, though, so they might use the same words we do, just pronounced differently. Substitution guide here.

As you might expect, Grineer language is more colorful, with a number of known expletives. In addition to "Tenno skoom" and "son-of-a-gutora", there's also "rahm", "gutre", "rapatok", "gretesk", and maybe some others. Grineer language info here.

• Like 2

Of all the Warframe players here, there's like 3 people who have any idea at all what these random noises actually mean.

So you might as well just make something up.

You could try using latin words spelled backwards. Maybe you can make up something funny.

Example; "Aeterna" means "eternal", but backwards it's "Anretea" which doesn't sound that different from the stuff the Grineer shout.

There's also 'Mucking' and presumably just 'muck' which seems to be the go-to replacement for 'F***' for the Solaris. Likely some lower-level Corpus use it too.

We can also assume that 'By the Queens/Void/Profit' is an equivalent to 'Oh my god' for the Grineer and Corpus respectively. It's possible there are Euphemised equivalents too (Akin to 'Gosh') though I've got no clue what those might be.

The Operator also calls Teshin an 'Infested piece of' before they get cut off, so alongside whatever they were going to say, it's likely 'infested' is used as an insult of that caliber. At least for Orokin-era individuals.

Nora has a few choice words about all kindsa folks she dun like. Meathead, moneyhuggers, etc. - given her vernacular, there seems to be a pool of more current day compatible lingo, too.

And boy, Worm has a potty mouth. Just go ruin a siphon and listen to her drop her marbles.

31 minutes ago, Ced23Ric said:

Nora has a few choice words about all kindsa folks she dun like. Meathead, moneyhuggers, etc. - given her vernacular, there seems to be a pool of more current day compatible lingo, too.

And boy, Worm has a potty mouth. Just go ruin a siphon and listen to her drop her marbles.

Nora uses normal English profanity.

5 hours ago, Gentleman_Bird said:

Maybe the Vent Kids have some slang that's similar to profanity? The word "Mucker" comes to mind.

My favourite vent kid insult has to be "ya fish-lookin' null unit"

Usually used when you fail a K-Drive race.

No idea what it means, but it just sounds funny.