Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It's been a good partnership...But...

Hyperion5182

DE. Its time to take your game back.

I'm one of the people who raged when the announcement of Perfect World entertainment hit. I'd been exceptionally salty over actions taken in STO i was unhappy with their take on games to that point and i feared a very similar approach would be applied here. 

Since that time. Perfect World has been very much hands off. I have seen none of their influence and Warframe is a DE game through and through. While changes have been made. its clear that this game is still being worked on by people who love games and people who want this game to be the success it is.

Earlier today Epic Games which has minority chinese ownership bought the game known as Rocket League, and immediately began the process of removing the game from Steam. This takes some time of course but it will not be long. Epic has bought yet another 'exclusive.' Steam built this game, but as DE is not owned entirely by DE any more. This can currently happen to them. And this is where the Chinese Ownership begins to worry me.

China is operating on a level most do not want to believe, and they are making a play to control the digital world through 5G and beyond. I dont want to dive deep into the international politics. But it boils down to this: China with its control of these industries can easily command one to buy the other and we could see a day where EPIC rips this game off the Steam Storefront. To continue to do transactions in the game could potentially become impossible. And the only potential way i see for DE to avoid this fate is if it buys back what's been sold and take control of its own destiny once again. 

I'm a concerned gamer who's been playing for a very very long time in this game. I do not like what Epic Games is doing. I do not consider their software secure by any stretch of the imagination. They have the money at the moment to buy a game on the tier of Rocket League and that likely means they can make an offer Perfect World Entertainment will not refuse. 

DE. Please, Take your game back. Before it's too late. 

• Like 3

First, Steam is a major source of income for this game through tennogen, that Epic's client has no way of matching, so it would be pretty much a income loss for them.

Second, Epic store exclusives are a GOOD THING! Valve takes a lion share of game's revenue (30%) for just distributing the game in their store, Epic takes 12%, which is why people go there! They do exclusives, because it's a good way to get players to that store, and, lets be honest it's also better for the devs if they sell more copies of the game on Epic than on Steam.
If this gets a strong enough wave, first, the complaints we have about Epic store not having as many features will start working itself out, because with more revenue means more means to improve, and second, valve will see their revenue's drop, and start having to adopt a fairer policy to compete with epic, which means more money to devs, which means more funds for better games!

• Like 1

Warframe and DE have managed to preserve their own identity for years now, a company isn't just going to come along and turn it into Lootbox Simulator 2019. DE has remained very adept at following its philosophy of "player experience before profits". 

Massive corporations have stakes in everything and 99% of the time you wouldn't even notice if they're doing anything. If you only looked at Warframe's performance over time it would be impossible to tell that anything had changed on the corporate side, and considering Warframe's player count has remained pretty steady, I doubt that any major corporate-mandated changes will be made in the future either.

Even if they were doing something, do you seriously think that a post on a videogame forum is going to change the minds of executives working with millions of dollars?

Edited by YUNoJump
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

They bought 51% of it, why would they invade the other 49%?

they bought 61% and later bought the other 39% can pull up the contracts if you want for proof.

Well, PWE only has minority share just to publish Warframe China in China, so that's fine. And besides, the Chinese company that brought DE now is in Hong Kong, which, despite being part of China, does run differently in some extent compared to how businesses are run in China because of the whole One Country, Two Systems, so hold your horses a bit.

1 minute ago, Midas said:

they bought 61% and later bought the other 39% can pull up the contracts if you want for proof.

Please do, because when all this was going on, I don't remember a 100% purchase being mentioned. 

5 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

Please do, because when all this was going on, I don't remember a 100% purchase being mentioned. 

http://www3.hkexnews.hk/listedco/listconews/sehk/2014/1014/ltn20141014641.pdf

First acquisition

Second: (Document states basically DE has full creative control of cosmetics etc... thats it... Although i'm pretty sure (in assumption) that they are given free control of the game crafting by Leyou. (until now that is, starting to see some deviation from the norm.).

Edited by Midas

1 minute ago, Midas said:

http://www3.hkexnews.hk/listedco/listconews/sehk/2014/1014/ltn20141014641.pdf

First acquisition

Second: (Document states basically DE has full creative control of cosmetics etc... thats it... Although i'm pretty sure (in assumption) that they are given free control of the game crafting (until now that is, starting to see some deviation from the norm.).

Can you narrow down where these numbers are?

1 minute ago, MagPrime said:

Can you narrow down where these numbers are?

First document says 58% somewhere down the line the other 3% is sold as well, 39% is the second document. About to start a league game but thats as descriptive as I can be atm.

Just now, ReaverKane said:

Second, Epic store exclusives are a GOOD THING! Valve takes a lion share of game's revenue (30%) for just distributing the game in their store, Epic takes 12%, which is why people go there! They do exclusives, because it's a good way to get players to that store, and, lets be honest it's also better for the devs if they sell more copies of the game on Epic than on Steam.
If this gets a strong enough wave, first, the complaints we have about Epic store not having as many features will start working itself out, because with more revenue means more means to improve, and second, valve will see their revenue's drop, and start having to adopt a fairer policy to compete with epic, which means more money to devs, which means more funds for better games!

No, exclusives are never a good thing. They're fundamentally anti-competitive and make life worse for the consumer and, in fact, for the creators in the long run. 

Them being anti-competitive is obvious: instead of competing in terms of quality of platform or product, companies compete for products themselves. So the platform doesn't get better since A: they have less money to spend on innovations or improvements and B: it doesn't matter because if they don't have the hot new thing, customers can't support one service over another. And, no, I don't believe for a second that Epic will actually deliver on their promised features for this very reason. Just in the past 24 hours at time of writing, they announced two things: That they have had the biggest month yet and hit games, and that they're delaying their roadmap just a month after releasing it. It's bad for the consumer for the same reason - less innovation or even lacking basic features.

Them being bad for creators is again, for the same reason, but even worse for game development. Steam has certain features - inbuilt chat functions, an achievement system, the workshop and all that stuff. That's fewer features they can implement, so worse products, and stifled innovation means that new and potentially revolutionary ideas that nobody has thought of won't get implemented.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Why do people post goodbye posts?

This is not a goodbye post.

This is a plea for DE to take its game back. I fear what comes next if a game like Rocket League as successful as it is can be BOUGHT. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Hyperion5182 said:

DE. Please, Take your game back. Before it's too late. 

How do you propose they do this? Do they have the capital necessary to do a share buyback at this point? Even if they did try something like that, it would probably elicit a hostile response. It seems like the ship has sailed. They could split and create a new IP, but that’s obviously problematic for both us and them as all our digital assets would not migrate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hyperion5182 said:

This is not a goodbye post.

This is a plea for DE to take its game back. I fear what comes next if a game like Rocket League as successful as it is can be BOUGHT. 

Check out the graph I posted further up, doesn't look like they can "take it back" because they don't own it anymore, and, it means they'd lose almost the entirety of their Chinese playerbase.