Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Viability of Excalibur Umbra AI

TLDR; Is the AI of Excalibur Umbra reliable enough to use throughout the game's various difficulty levels? 

I tend to enjoy automating my gameplay with a lot of games. I have always been the type of player who finds more satisfaction in the effectiveness of a well formulated plan rather than the execution. To set up the proverbial dominoes and then tapping the last one to watch them all fall in a perfect fashion. That being said, I was super excited when I learned about the existence of Umbra Excalibur. I've not unlocked him yet but I wanted to ask now, is it a viable way to play? Can I just jump out of him and let him wreck shop for me with the mods I've selected for him? 

Depends on what you mean by "wreck shop".

Transferring out at spawn and letting him do the mission? No. He stays around your SPOILER and constantly gets stuck on stuff.

In the Index? ABSOLUTELY. Give him a proper weapon (kohm, vectis, any high dps gun really and ammo economy doesn't matter) and he will kill pretty much anything on sight. Bonus points for running two max rank magus repairs.  Just need someone to pick up the points.

Edited by RushBCyka
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RushBCyka said:

Depends on what you mean by "wreck shop".

Transferring out at spawn and letting him do the mission? No, he stays around your SPOILER.

In the Index? ABSOLUTELY. Give him a proper weapon (kohm, vectis, any high dps gun really and ammo economy doesn't matter) and he will kill pretty much anything on sight. Bonus points for running two max rank magus repairs.  

Wait, he doesn't burn through your ammo either? I don't know what a Magus Repair is, but I'll look it up to better understand. Thanks for the reply! 🙂

50 minutes ago, daniel.robert.campbell said:

Wait, he doesn't burn through your ammo either? I don't know what a Magus Repair is, but I'll look it up to better understand. Thanks for the reply! 🙂

Nope, unless it was changed recently he has unlimited ammo.

Magus repair is one of the arcane you get from Vox Solaris. Helps because it heals your warframe when you sit in void mode and it helps keep howly boi alive, but it's not the only way to do it.

Edited by RushBCyka
Apparently magus repair doesn't work for Excal U, my mistake.

8 minutes ago, RushBCyka said:

Magus repair is one of the arcane you get from Vox Solaris. Helps because it heals your warframe when you sit in void mode and it helps keep howly boi alive, but it's not the only way to do it.

I'll have to do some research into it, but you've given me a great jumping off point. Not to mention the hope that this is actually a viable way to play. thank you! 

Oh, you must be sort of new or somewhat.  Umbra Excaliber is free and yes I understand your using metaphor words and yes you can "wreck a shop" because umbra is like a bull in the china's dish plate shop. Just make sure you arm him good with the right weapons, and no I tried it already with the "Archgun" already for he does not have a program using the arch gun to shoot that one out for it set default him going back with a primary weapon or secondary.  He will act like a specter and be warn using another specter which it will disable gadget specter if you summon the gadget specter fist before umbra which its having AI issue reading the code system.  If your starter, you won't get umbra really fast because of its block by "ranking walls" (not block by paywalls) and you have to do research bench on that one.

It is playable and it is very powerful depending on mods.

Edited by ChaoticEdge

20 minutes ago, RushBCyka said:

Repair only heals ally Warframes. Umbra counts as a Specter when you're in SPOILER mode.

I believe Arcane Nourish does work on him though. Could be wrong.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, (PS4)The_Verethragna said:

Repair only heals ally Warframes. Umbra counts as a Specter when you're in SPOILER mode.

I believe Arcane Nourish does work on him though. Could be wrong.

don't forget the operator mode you can use that void dash on vars's side skill tree which it does heal now and now it's working still for it is able to heal your own frame and companions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, (PS4)Taishin_Ishu said:

Not playing is a "viable way to play"?  

Is this post for real? O_o  That's not why Umbra was designed the way he was.

its honestly not that uncommon of a play style. a lot of people get a lot of satisfaction of building a system that works faster and more efficient then a human could. though i usually see those sorts of players play games closer to minecraft or ark. but i do it with min maxing mods in warframe to build the most over the top build.

24 minutes ago, (PS4)Taishin_Ishu said:

Not playing is a "viable way to play"?  

Is this post for real? O_o  That's not why Umbra was designed the way he was.

Super helpful. Thanks. *eyeroll*

So you 100% know the design intent behind the frame? That's super cool. When did you start working for DE? 

Edited by daniel.robert.campbell
To be snarky.

5 minutes ago, stormy505 said:

its honestly not that uncommon of a play style. a lot of people get a lot of satisfaction of building a system that works faster and more efficient then a human could. though i usually see those sorts of players play games closer to minecraft or ark. but i do it with min maxing mods in warframe to build the most over the top build.

^This^ I always like to play this way. If a game has turrets, that's my class. If a game has scripting for their combat system, That's my method. Computers are far more efficient at carrying out commands than a human could ever be. Designing those commands though...so satisfying. 

• Like 1

Just now, daniel.robert.campbell said:

turrets

...we had thous meme once...

Spoiler

d1ac70e5164c2676aa70650d46a7f465.png

but warframe turrets...

Spoiler

latest?cb=201408210009511757fa1086ed58c.jpg

that where the air support goes....in the trash because no one loves it...

2 minutes ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

I agree. Humans are weak. 乁༼☯‿☯✿༽ㄏ

not really....we just lazy as hell

1 hour ago, stormy505 said:

An ACTION RPG is not a passive-style of game.  At least, it's not meant to be.  Even DE themselves have said this... It's been the basis of numerous adjustments in-game, for that matter.

So while this is a play style in  some games, Warframe is meant to be played with active input from the players.

1 hour ago, daniel.robert.campbell said:

Super helpful. Thanks. *eyeroll*

So you 100% know the design intent behind the frame? That's super cool. When did you start working for DE? 

1 hour ago, daniel.robert.campbell said:

^This^ I always like to play this way. If a game has turrets, that's my class. If a game has scripting for their combat system, That's my method. Computers are far more efficient at carrying out commands than a human could ever be. Designing those commands though...so satisfying. 

Yup... I love having computers read my books for me, and having small robots walk my Google Fit steps for me, too.

You're missing the point.  This game is about the journey.  It's not about skipping that and "arriving" at the conclusion.  You'll have missed the entire "meat" of the game experience.

I mean, you do you, but don't get mad at DE if it doesn't feel great...because that's not how they designed it.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)Taishin_Ishu said:

I mean, you do you, but don't get mad at DE if it doesn't feel great...because that's not how they designed it.

Did I ever imply, even a little bit, that I'd be dissatisfied with the game or DE if this didn't turn out to be a viable playstyle? And you're saying that if someone doesn't play the game EXACTLY the way the designers intended then they are playing it wrong? That's like saying if you don't interpret the meaning of a novel exactly as the author intended, that your appreciation of the book is "wrong". 

1 minute ago, daniel.robert.campbell said:

Did I ever imply, even a little bit, that I'd be dissatisfied with the game or DE if this didn't turn out to be a viable playstyle? And you're saying that if someone doesn't play the game EXACTLY the way the designers intended then they are playing it wrong? That's like saying if you don't interpret the meaning of a novel exactly as the author intended, that your appreciation of the book is "wrong". 

Dude, all I said was "don't get mad", as in future-tense.  And yes, by stating that you would really like to play a certain way, that therefore implies that you would  then be dissatisfied if you couldn't play that way.  That should be obvious.

And yes, you might be able to extrapolate ideas and concepts from works of art beyond what the author intends, sure...but the INTENDED lesson is still the "correct" one.

Other ideas are merely your own.  "inspired by"

The difference being the responsible party.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Taishin_Ishu said:

Dude, all I said was "don't get mad", as in future-tense.  And yes, by stating that you would really like to play a certain way, that therefore implies that you would  then be dissatisfied if you couldn't play that way.  That should be obvious.

And yes, you might be able to extrapolate ideas and concepts from works of art beyond what the author intends, sure...but the INTENDED lesson is still the "correct" one.

Other ideas are merely your own.  "inspired by"

The difference being the responsible party.

We are getting into the philosophical weeds on this one for sure. lol. That's a debate that's been raging for hundreds of years. Does the author's intention matter in a story? Should it? I fall on the side of "no" but I see you fall slightly on the other side, and that's fine. In all honesty, I respect that. There's a reason the debate is still had to this day, and will likely continue for hundreds of years more. 

25 minutes ago, (PS4)Taishin_Ishu said:

An ACTION RPG is not a passive-style of game.  At least, it's not meant to be.  Even DE themselves have said this... It's been the basis of numerous adjustments in-game, for that matter.

So while this is a play style in  some games, Warframe is meant to be played with active input from the players.

Yup... I love having computers read my books for me, and having small robots walk my Google Fit steps for me, too..

You're missing the point.  This game is about the journey.  It's not about skipping that and "arriving" at the conclusion.  You'll have missed the entire "meat" of the game experience.

"An ACTION RPG is not a passive-style of game.  At least, it's not meant to be.  Even DE themselves have said this... It's been the basis of numerous adjustments in-game, for that matter.

So while this is a play style in  some games, Warframe is meant to be played with active input from the players."

Dev intent probably isn't unified under that standpoint. case and point, octavia exists. equinox exists, saryn exists, umbra exists, to be frank. there are a lot of frames that have a more automated play style then others, and those frames were designed by devs at DE so at least a few key designers like that style of gameplay.

"Yup... I love having computers read my books for me," case and point. audible, books are slowly getting less popular with an increase in usage in apps like that.

"and having small robots walk my Google Fit steps for me, too." treadmills and weight sets were designed to streamline the process of working out.

"You're missing the point.  This game is about the journey. " not for a lot of players. (i can't say the majority cause no statistics but a LOT of players) for most people that i know who play this game, a lot of the game was about min maxing builds past the point of any realistic enemy levels we will ever face.

"It's not about skipping that and "arriving" at the conclusion.  You'll have missed the entire "meat" of the game experience." except he's not skipping the game what so ever. it still takes personally effort to get to the point where you have the necessary mods and arcanes to utterly obliterate everything in the game ten times over.

"I mean, you do you, but don't get mad at DE if it doesn't feel great...because that's not how they designed it." if you don't strive to break the absolute limits of the games power system there honestly isn't a lot of content in the game. sure, you can solo sorties with un-formed and un potato-ed gear. but the next logical step in human nature is to do it better and faster with less effort.

• Like 1

Another frame that can do more or less the same thing is Equinox with the augment for 1st ability (Duality?) plus lots of strength and duration. You can easily find several guides on how to build it and what it can do. It used to be that all kinds of spectres did not suffer from damage falloff, and so were extremely powerful with shotguns even on long range, but I am not sure this is still the case.

His accuracy is pretty terrible (for a Dax solider no less), so keep that in mind,

Fast firing Vectis is good but he misses a lot. The Arca Plasmor is the best IMO because you can't miss even when you miss. Opticor vandal has had good results for me as well.

Also his AI is derpy, and usually he slash dashes off the edge... or randomly radial javelins even though it does like 2 damage.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SECURATYYY said:

His accuracy is pretty terrible (for a Dax solider no less), so keep that in mind,

Fast firing Vectis is good but he misses a lot. The Arca Plasmor is the best IMO because you can't miss even when you miss. Opticor vandal has had good results for me as well.

Also his AI is derpy, and usually he slash dashes off the edge... or randomly radial javelins even though it does like 2 damage.

it's depending what gun you give him, give him machine gun for yea he'll terrible shooting at it because of the recoils and programming, give him a 100% accuracy gun and yea he is able to shoot good for it is design to shoot the chest only.

It follows specter AIs. so you'd have to give him a high accuracy gun for him to hit his targets reliably. 
It will also follow the Excalibur Specter AI which is and this is quoted from the wik

Just replace radial blind with radial howl. It also won't use its fourth ability.