Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rules of Survival Missions... am I missing something?

I always thought the optimal way to play on survival missions was to stick very close together, preferably in one room (and by room I mean small por big, just not "looking" at any open doors for the enemies to spawn closer, but time and time again when I go Arbitration survival everyone is getting away from one another if not at least away from me, no matter what frame I use, seriously, they even get away if I play stuff like Octavia or Garuda, is the "muh personal glory dunt killsteal" still a thing?

• Like 1

il y a 20 minutes, VanFanel1980mx a dit :

I always thought the optimal way to play on survival missions was to stick very close together, preferably in one room (and by room I mean small por big, just not "looking" at any open doors for the enemies to spawn closer, but time and time again when I go Arbitration survival everyone is getting away from one another if not at least away from me, no matter what frame I use, seriously, they even get away if I play stuff like Octavia or Garuda, is the "muh personal glory dunt killsteal" still a thing?

You are absolutely right, people don't know how to play survivals because no one has went beyond the 20 minute mark, i was doing a 2h Mot run and it was only at 45min that the other guys decided to come to me and group up , and that was only because if they didn't they would have died over and over, 2 of them left at 52min at the last one stayed till 70 minutes, then i couldn't continue solo because the spawns were bad... rip

• Like 2

That was how it used to go back in year 1 through 2...Everyone ran off and did their own thing and at the 45 minute mark the enemy began to push everyone together to fight the horde off till they pushed you the escape hatch at the 60 minute mark or higher depending on the team's set up...

Soooo...it's supposed to be different now?

Plus god,... I get so bored just sitting in one area for an hour...not when I can bullet jump and wall cling and just fly around guns blazing looking for needed materials...

• Like 1

I’ve only done a full hour a handful of times.  I have a short attention span plus am paranoid about dc’s or host migrations screwing me out of my winnings.

but the first 20-30 mins, I just sort of zone out mentally and don’t really pay attention to where the rest of my teammates are.  I just follow the horde where it leads me. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

That was how it used to go back in year 1 through 2...Everyone ran off and did their own thing and at the 45 minute mark the enemy began to push everyone together to fight the horde off till they pushed you the escape hatch at the 60 minute mark or higher depending on the team's set up...

Plus god,... I get so bored just sitting in one area for an hour...not when I can bullet jump and wall cling and just fly around guns blazing looking for needed materials...

By design spawns will be more scarce if people don't stick together, enemies have to spawn far from your line of sight, now multiply that by 4 on a full squad and you don't get enough enemies at the beginning, I can "forgive" that in more casual survival missions but going for the "serious" ones and going for your personal glory is sub-optimal for the run, other than that I have been in slightly longer survival arbitrations and people still get away from me, the most cringe worthy examples are when I play Octavia, they even seem to avoid the buffs as much as possible, I saw players dying in some cases because they didn't want me to "steal their kills."

lol I like 60 min abitrations and i find the best way for me to play is to find a good spot, and I stay there.. what I have found in most cases is that after 20 mins or so the others who have been racing all over the map usually end up in my room and enjoy an easy 60 minute team killfest or they leave, but sometimes the odd player just doesnt understand how the spawn mechanics works and keep bouncing all over the map .. but I'm comfortable in my spot, fire going, beer handy .. ez life when done right!

2 minutes ago, -AncientWarrior- said:

lol I like 60 min abitrations and i find the best way for me to play is to find a good spot, and I stay there.. what I have found in most cases is that after 20 mins or so the others who have been racing all over the map usually end up in my room and enjoy an easy 60 minute team killfest or they leave, but sometimes the odd player just doesnt understand how the spawn mechanics works and keep bouncing all over the map .. but I'm comfortable in my spot, fire going, beer handy .. ez life when done right!

I try to do the same but most of the time I am the one who gets no spawns nearby.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

only people that did this were people that didnt know how to do survivals. back in the early years you didnt separate from the group as this would cause spawns in between everyone and would kill exp (since back in the early years this is how you farmed). in experienced groups everyone stay together in a medium room with LS points for emergencies. this made enemies come to YOU, made loot way easier to get, and also didnt forgo exp for everyone. 

the way people play now its no one wonder that everyone splits up. heck people now would prolly look at you nuts if you said "40 min survival anyone?" tbh OP once they changed seom stuff the old ways were really forgotten.

life support isn't really that bad in arbitrations and its not a farming survival mission where you're killing enemies for the resources. i can understand why people split up in arbitrations because its not really needed to stay in one room and that gets boring fast.

No.

The last thing i want when doing long survival is to camp small room with one door for ~hour.

Dont know about you but i play to have at least some fun and staying in one room guning down what comes from one direction for long time is boring as hell.

Personaly i prefer big rooms with multiple entrances where all 4 players have enough room.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mover-NeRo said:

No.

The last thing i want when doing long survival is to camp small room with one door for ~hour.

Dont know about you but i play to have at least some fun and staying in one room guning down what comes from one direction for long time is boring as hell.

Personaly i prefer big rooms with multiple entrances where all 4 players have enough room.

I agree on the last part but some players can't even do that.

9 minutes ago, Mover-NeRo said:

No.The last thing i want when doing long survival is to camp small room with one door for ~hour. Dont know about you but i play to have at least some fun and staying in one room guning down what comes from one direction for long time is boring as hell. Personaly i prefer big rooms with multiple entrances where all 4 players have enough room.

I agree with the reason why you'd bounce off and run, but it also means I either won't play with you or I need affinity flares and fight extra hard to make up for the spawn density stopping, should you leave the room. The ideal room has many doors, is medium sized, and has enemies pour in constantly, right? If people get stir-crazy and leave to hallway hero somewhere else, that'll put the run under more stress. And that's a systemic issue. I agree that it should be different.

But that'd require a rewrite of the spawn system, a rewrite of the XP system, and none of that is gonna happen anytime soon, and until then your playstyle makes everyone else work harder. Which is sad. I wish it would not. But this is why I go long Survivals with clanmates and not pubbies. We usually talk about stuff on voice and have a blast doing that while the timer ticks along.

People used to constantly talk about Hallway Hero years ago but the term slowly died since Void got destroyed in favor of crappy relic system. Now there's so many casual Hallway Hero who have no idea what they're doing and nobody cares anymore. It's sad.

9 minutes ago, -AiLuoLi- said:

People used to constantly talk about Hallway Hero years ago but the term slowly died since Void got destroyed in favor of crappy relic system. Now there's so many casual Hallway Hero who have no idea what they're doing and nobody cares anymore. It's sad.

It's a bit of a funny thought exercise and repeating topic of entertainment for buddies and me to muse about what the pubbies do. Chasing the doritos, led astray by wisps, zoned out; etc. - they usually come back after dying a few times with no rez, tho.

Some get verbal. A Baruuk pissed how the nuke frames prevent him from gathering restraint, a pubbie that shouts how Volt is useless in Kuva Survival while running away from the Nekros to kill his own enemies so Volt doesn't "killsteal". It's funny. Now if it just wouldn't put strain on the run, too... 😕

You can stick together without camping spot and being in a big room with multiple points of entry is a lot more fun.

But it seems most  team are either camp a corridor with Chroma and Ignis holding down LMB or everybody scatter everywhere.

• Like 2

Il y a 2 heures, stormy505 a dit :

life support isn't really that bad in arbitrations and its not a farming survival mission where you're killing enemies for the resources. i can understand why people split up in arbitrations because its not really needed to stay in one room and that gets boring fast.

Yeah but you see, your "staying in one room only is booooooring" is gonna ruin the experience for everyone else. Put that into perspective. You don't have to religiously stick to one tile, but please don't do what many do and go 250m and 5 tiles away to die then cry. Like, the next tile over is fine, just don't run about too much. 

Il y a 1 heure, Mover-NeRo a dit :

No.

That's the whole point. Sewer camping only existed in the casual community, because they can't do longer runs the normal way and have to resort to Rio tactics. 

The best survival experience imo comes from having a team that knows to do his thing, and you all stay in a very big multileveled room so there are many places to fight and many entryways for enemies. 

Sewer camping is an affront to humanity. 

That’s why i play Solo more often than with a Squad. Camping in Survivals is what i mostly use and having a Squad to camp would be rough to find in Public and easier if you went for a private Group since that can make you have Survival runs that can last for 2 Hours or maybe higher while being in one room. 

There is no survival mission in the game right now that require you to group up in a room and shoot through a doorway until at least 50 minutes in. If you do that from start then you're either just very lazy or need to be carried, which few seem to care about. Obviously people will start grouping up when past the hour, because it's just the logical thing to do when the killrate for lifesupport start to suffer. I don't understand what the problem is here.

Personally I initially try to stick to others for spawns sake, but if they keep running away from me or just want to camp in a room then I just go my own way. I have no problems running arbitration survivals solo for an hour or so, so it really doesn't matter to me. Thing is that I have to move around and be engaged with the gameplay if I am to enjoy the mission. If I don't enjoy it then what am I even doing there.

What kind of people you get in your squad depends a lot on what survivals you run. Ones that are popular for farming resources, like Ophelia or Derelict for example, often have people who prefer to stick together, just to keep the loot in one place and to make better use of loot-frames. In Mot and Arbitrations on the other hand people farm for the rewards, so I would not expect people to care much there until needed.

I must say though that this past week have been great fun in survivals now that more people are willing to stay for at least an hour, farming for the new arbitration rewards or the new relics for Volt/Loki Prime. I've had many good games with good random people lately.

Edited by SirTobe

11 minutes ago, SirTobe said:

There is no survival mission in the game right now that require you to group up in a room and shoot through a doorway until at least 50 minutes in. If you do that from start then you're either just very lazy or need to be carried, which few seem to care about. Obviously people will start grouping up when past the hour, because it's just the logical thing to do when the killrate for lifesupport start to suffer. I don't understand what the problem is here.

Affinity range is 50m - more with Unairu/Flares. Nekros' range for drops is 62.5m at max, ~50m with a more balanced build. Once you leave that 50m bubble, you are actively hurting affinity/focus gain and loot drops of your team. Once you leave the tileset your team is on, you are reducing enemy spawn density, further reducing affinity/focus/loot. Seems like a pretty legitimate observation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ced23Ric said:

Affinity range is 50m - more with Unairu/Flares. Nekros' range for drops is 62.5m at max, ~50m with a more balanced build. Once you leave that 50m bubble, you are actively hurting affinity/focus gain and loot drops of your team. Once you leave the tileset your team is on, you are reducing enemy spawn density, further reducing affinity/focus/loot. Seems like a pretty legitimate observation.

As I also mentioned further down in my post, people are there for different reasons depending on mission. In Mot and Arbitrations for example most people don't care about loot and affinity, just the rewards.

Staying together in an intense mission is useful, but it drives me up the wall when people hide in a dead-end closet asap and then say, "wtf you doing playing around in the rest of the tileset", when it's a Meso Relic and the ememies are Level 20. I'm playing the game. Surviving, which is really easy at low levels. I don't know who's keeping the Closetframe thing going, but they can kindly find other missions.

1 minute ago, SirTobe said:

In Mot and Arbitrations for example most people don't care about loot and affinity, just the rewards.

Yeah, that's a given. Also why I rather not go with pubs on missions like that - I like to play efficiently, but...

1 minute ago, SenorClipClop said:

Staying together in an intense mission is useful, but it drives me up the wall when people hide in a dead-end closet asap and then say, "wtf you doing playing around in the rest of the tileset" [...]  I don't know who's keeping the Closetframe thing going, but they can kindly find other missions.

... this is also true. Full-on choke-point mouse-button tape-down afk mode is killing me faster than a level 200 toxic ancient creeping up on me.

Medium-sized rooms! Verticiality! Silly parkour! Melee! Good conversations and music.

I make it a point to not have expectations in a pub match. 

With that being said, I do not really like being in a single place behind a door twiddling my thumbs, I would rather be actually fighting. 

So I am in for "sticking together" and moving together as a unit to keep spawns optimum, I am not in for camping while a Nekros just sits and khora just keeps placing the strangledome, nova keeps getting enemies to run to their deaths and that one dps frame keeps casting abilities that do a lot of damage. 

Sure it may be efficient for lasting long and is easy but it gets so very boring after a few minutes, if I do need to do something to get some reward or mats I usually farm with my clan mates, we atleast have stuff to talk about instead of looking at a squad chat with all ***** or one dude breathing heavily in the mic or an Excalibur constantly going swish swoosh swish swoosh swish swoosh forever and ever.