Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Paracesis is underwhelming and anticlimatic.

Kingsmount

I have all 5 forma into it.  

It feels very underwhelming,  is it even in the top 20 melee weapons?  

There was so much hype for this weapon, with an amazing mini quest sequence to acquire it that had me thoroughly engaged.   The weapon's appearance wasn't great but hey, I was into the gimmick of growing with forma.

But I hardly even notice a difference with the weapon now that it's maxed out.   It doesn't feel very strong,  meanwhile it's slow and awkward to use.

I mean,  it's beat by the comparatively mundane Galatine and Gram Primes.  It's third fiddle.   It was a huge sacrifice to get the thousand ducats necessary to build it.  Ten gold prime items worth of ducats + the cells, galatine, and eidolon shards.  

And it's third place to other weapons of its same class let alone melee weapons overall.

Thoroughly disappointed in this weapon and it really undermines the entire story surrounding it.  Why does each extra rank not directly add bonus void damage overall?  As much as 100/200/300/400/500,  the bonus could be pretty high, void damage is pretty weak anyway but any would at least be something to make the weapon feel at all important.

12 minutes ago, Kingsmount said:

Thoroughly disappointed in this weapon and it really undermines the entire story surrounding it.

if you do follow the story surrounding it you'll know that it has a very specific purpose, and this purpose isn't in the game yet. they gave it to us simply to have it ready for when the time comes

13 minutes ago, Kingsmount said:

is it even in the top 20 melee weapons?  

why does it have to be again? 

• Like 4

I like it, it´s slashed based, has a grood crit chance, an ok atk-speed, is looking good and should be one of the top weapons vs sentient and overall one of the best.

Might be very usefull during the old new war

Edited by Dark_Lugia

2 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

why does it have to be again? 

18 minutes ago, Kingsmount said:

...It feels very underwhelming...

...There was so much hype for this weapon, with an amazing mini quest sequence to acquire it that had me thoroughly engaged.  ...  It doesn't feel very strong,  meanwhile it's slow and awkward to use.

I mean,  it's beat by the comparatively mundane Galatine and Gram Primes.  It's third fiddle.   It was a huge sacrifice to get the thousand ducats necessary to build it.  Ten gold prime items worth of ducats + the cells, galatine, and eidolon shards.  

And it's third place to other weapons of its same class let alone melee weapons overall...

1 minute ago, Kingsmount said:

this can be said for pretty much all the quest weapons. there's been plenty of hype for the 2nd dream and look where the broken/war is now. there's nothing that states that quest weapons need to be the best. and tbh, the issue is that these weapons you mentioned are just plain powercreep, so ofc nothing can compare to them 

if it's slow, then use mods to help with that. all heavy melee feel like that tbh so I don't see how that's different. if anything it should be 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

this can be said for pretty much all the quest weapons. there's been plenty of hype for the 2nd dream and look where the broken/war is now. there's nothing that states that quest weapons need to be the best. and tbh, the issue is that these weapons you mentioned are just plain powercreep, so ofc nothing can compare to them 

if it's slow, then use mods to help with that. all heavy melee feel like that tbh so I don't see how that's different. if anything it should be 

Broken War is clearly advertised as Broken,  expectation is limited, but even so it's widely regarded as one of the better swords whereas paracesis is third place in its own category with a gimmick requiring 5 forma, 5 grinds to 30,  for very little benefit when it doesn't even make it match other weapons in the same category. 

9 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

It was never supposed to be the best weapon in all situations, just a very good weapon against sentients.

Except that it isn't.  It's pretty terrible against them.  Sentients float above the air or are giants,  they're hard (Or at least awkward at best) to hit with Paracesis at all and if you do a +60% alone damage doesn't make it worth using.

Some kind of Spear might have been preferable, if they were dedicated to a melee weapon,  that had innate animations that had a minor homing effect towards the direction of the nearest enemy to the crosshair allowing it to aim up at sentients (and drones for that matter). Spears are also classically iconic as weapons of war,  but swords are the modern icon I guess.

Edited by Kingsmount

2 minutes ago, Kingsmount said:

Broken War is clearly advertised as Broken,  expectation is limited, but even so it's widely regarded as one of the better swords whereas paracesis is third place in its own category with a gimmick requiring 5 forma, 5 grinds to 30,  for very little benefit when it doesn't even make it match other weapons in the same category. 

Broken War required a ton of RNG farming (or 800+ plat for the bundle) to be made into War, War was also not meant to be best in slot.

And Broken War was only regarded as good when ALL longswords were bad, until it got power-creeped by Krohkur and Zaws.

10 minutes ago, Kingsmount said:

Except that it isn't.  It's pretty terrible against them.  Sentients float above the air or are giants,  they're hard (Or at least awkward at best) to hit with Paracesis at all and if you do a +60% alone damage doesn't make it worth using.

Some kind of Spear might have been preferable, if they were dedicated to a melee weapon,  that had innate animations that had a minor homing effect towards the direction of the nearest enemy to the crosshair allowing it to aim up at sentients (and drones for that matter). Spears are also classically iconic as weapons of war,  but swords are the modern icon I guess.

It's designed for future content, we're about to get sentient amalgam enemies, along with whatever comes with the New War.

Also +faction damage is multiplicative with your total modded damage. That +60% is awesome, even more so with the +82.6% from sacrificial mods.

17 minutes ago, Kingsmount said:

45 minutes ago, Kingsmount said:

It doesn't feel very strong,  meanwhile it's slow and awkward to use.

Idk, i'm ok with what i have. Also can't confirm the "hard or awkward to hit floating sentients" part

Edited by Dante
  • Like 2

It’s pretty underwhelming. The low base Status Chance doesn’t really do it for me. But the biggest offender is the increased ragdoll lift on Slam attacks that does pitiful damage.

Against extremely high-level Sentients it doesn’t really kill them, so we’ll see what it’ll do with the Amalgam enemies in high-level endless. Otherwise it’s not impressive to me when you can just use any other weapon.

Idk, good modded Paracesis does it's job quite well and in specific occasions is better than Galatine and Gram Prime (especially when sentients are higher than lvl30, which can't be met anywhere but Simulacrum for now.)

Can't tell for certain, but for me it feels like a well modded Gram Prime is as good as Paracesis againist lvl30 Sentients. Not really sure Gram would do great againist, for example, a bunch of lvl60 sentients, compared to Paracesis. Too lazy to check it myself.

As for usual enemies, i ran with a usual crit build /w Blood rush and stuff. Slapped on Fury and Reach. I'd be lying if i said it was not strong. But yeah, probably nothing can beat Gram Prime with a godriven.

So, for being a free quest melee weapon that is not far away from Gram Prime and Galatine Prime in terms of power, supports crit builds just as well as Gram Prime and got a ton of capacity for mods, Paracess is pretty good. 

14 minutes ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

The low base Status Chance doesn’t really do it for me. But the biggest offender is the increased ragdoll lift on Slam attacks that does pitiful damage.

Completely forgot about it's status chance... Yeah, that and ragdoll effect makes it unusable againist anything but sentients. And due to sentients spawning only on lua in small groups of 2-5 (that's when they spawn at all), it's probably better to stick with something else: pack a shotgun and another shotgun on top of it and be happy. For now.

Edited by Dante

58 minutes ago, Dark_Lugia said:

I like it, it´s slashed based, has a grood crit chance, an ok atk-speed, is looking good and should be one of the top weapons vs sentient and overall one of the best.

Might be very usefull during the old new war

Slash is the worst damage type if you dont have the status chance to proc it. The funny thing is that the sentients which the weapon was designed to kill are all resistant to slash damage. I'm quite surprised they didnt make the weapon more "magical" by simply having it deal radiation and corrosive damage, two things the sentients are neutral or weak against. And if they wanted a physical part they could have added puncture.

That would have been a real sentient killing weapon since it would focus purely on the weakness of the sentients. Plus it would have made it less mundane and quite a respectable crit weapon overall against other factions.

Edited by SneakyErvin

90% of the community believes in error that CC is end all, be all on all weapons, and slash is always best, ranged and melee, so is it any wonder they incentivized a grind behind a CC and slash weapon with missing, key status chance to get the mass player base to do the grind? As far as it coming into significant use in future content, don't hold your breath on that. Fitty Fitty IMO given DE's track record. Would have loved to see Broken war, War, broken scepter, kesheg, orvius, skiajati and the umbral stuff of Excalibur Umbra blended into the story subsequently, but were they? It's coming up on a year since Umbra was introduced and nada so far.

Is it more likely they will introduce a -new- grindy weapon/thingy and -new- grindy resources? Or make the thing you already have powerful and useful in the -new- content? ;)  Apply a bit of "free to play game" critical thinking here.

It's not even in third place, but way back behind every two handed zaw strike in the game. Will it truly be important in future content? Coin toss, but for now flipping the way overpriced tulips... erm... rivens for it is a great plat maker :)

Edited by Buttaface

Well considering the high capacity allows for the Sacrificial Mods and with both and at rank 40, it does over 140% more damage against sentients even the new Sentient Wolf. And has the ability to remove the adaptation from sentients and even the stalker. It is known as the “Sentient Slayer”. Be nice if DE added more sentients to kill instead of having to go to the moon to hunt them or wait for the stalker to show. But clearly this weapon is meant for more. It also has a high critical chance and a riven I have plus the Sacrificial mods makes it nearly 100%. 

I still use this weapon regardless in case the stalker shows up. Then in the hands of a Surging Dash Umbra, the weapon becomes OP with Bloodrush and body count. I was able to one-hit the stalker. 

No other Orokin Weapon has the ability to slay sentients the way this one does. Every weapon has a purpose. This weapon’s purpose is killing sentients. And according to DE, there are going to be more. 

Now what I wish is that the War had a better purpose. So many weapons make the War look like an April Fools joke with how easy it is to obtain them vs the War. Being that it is a sentient weapon, part and host of the sentient Hunhow, I figured it should have the unique capability of adapting to the enemy’s weaknesses. At least while channeling. Where it can deal damage of whatever the enemy, that is hit, is weak too. 

It is all about how you use it in the end. 

• Like 1