Sign in to follow this  
Wret

Everyone is tired of the Wolf so much they won't even bother killing him

(yes there's 3 other topics on the front about the Wolf specifically but mines maybe slightly different hold on)

The Wolf and his effing hammer are now tied with the Khora Sanctuary Onslaught farm for Things That Make Me Uniquely Hate Warframe and Want to Stop Playing

I knew it was coming but I finally had a random squad that wanted nothing to do with the Wolf when he spawned, so they just finished the mission and left, and now I feel an INCREDIBLY animosity towards them too, isn't that wonderful! But wait, the team I had two missions before did stop what they were doing, waltz into the spy vault with the Wolf, and spent 10 minutes shooting him and...disappointment! For sticking it out they got a turd on their face!

I made this thread partially because that first experience left me *uniquely* embittered in ways 50 failed RadShares could not, but also to ask: Can we consider replacing horrible random grinds with long but inevitable ones but for real this time?

I was excited about the Wolf but now I'm not. I was excited about Profit Taker and the Heist but now I'm not. I was...well I wasn't really into Sanctuary Onslaught to begin with but now I'm REALLY NOT INTO IT. If you weapons/mods/stances on everything like this chances are I'm going to play those things to the point of resentment. 

I was excited for Exploiter, and liked and STILL like Exploiter, because I didn't want anything from it but Hildryn. I did not want the hyper rare Epherma thing from it. But I've seen the venting from people who DID want the Ephemera thing and now they hate Exploiter. They hate one of the best received boss encounters you've released since Eidolons (I think they're good shuddap) because you had to attach the random shiny thing, after we thought Epherma would be Not That Yet Again.

I think maybe, you might want to reconsider how much gameplay time any given thing Warframe needs to have extracted out of it, and set limits with a Syndicate or something. I'm not asking you to remove grinds from the game, just to re-implement them in ways that don't make people hate the content their associated with afterwards. (Like Defection I love and Infested Salvage but everyone hates them like it's a meme ._. )

I am excited for Flydolon, new Nightwave things, and Empyrean I hope I stay so after they're here.

• Woah 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

The problems with these bosses:

Wolf: Drops parts for a pretty mediocre weapon, hard to kill for no reason at all, pretty much a waste of time in all honesty.. I could just run past him and extract, but something inside me just says to fight him

PT: I farmed Profit Taker for the Articula... That's it, I don't want Toroids, I don't need credits, I don't need anything from the PT really, It's just pointless

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Posted (edited)

The problem I see with the wolf is that low levels want nothing to do with him and are generally unequipped to face him on any level but are being hounded by him while high levels who can't get enough of him and are capable of soloing him aren't having any luck whatsoever of getting him to spawn, and on the rare occasions he does show his face it's a damn elemental mod. 

His spawn rate needs to be affected by the mr of the highest level players in the lobby, that way if a bunch of random low levels are farming xp in Helene they won't be bothered but four mr27 farming Hydron for him won't be disappointed after hours of nothing but random syndicate attacks

Edited by (PS4)OriginalEquinox

I wish I was tired of the Wolf. Being solo the Wolf is easy to kill, just wish he spawned more than once or twice every couple days. Wait a couple days only to down him in less than 10 shots is kind of disappointing. All of this hope for a spawn just to get the 3k mastery from the weapon I've been trying to get since Nightwave started.

He's a hell of a bullet sponge, and if i haven't packed a good crit weapon, taking him down takes ages. I do it anyway, though, because I resent him barging in like he owns the place and thinking he can make me back down.

I do wish more of these boss type critters were subject to warframe powers and status effects, though.

• Like 1

Assasin style spawning itself is already a bad idea, better to make em beacon and such.

• Like 1

I used to like fighting him but stopped when he happened to spawn when I was focusing with Equinox in Adaro. Super genetically modified soldier, having boomerang hammer and more hp and armor than the building he spawns in can do jack S#&$ to you, but a pepsi can with gasoline thrown by his little skinny friends can one shot you.

• Applause 2

Wolf is basically a very buffed butcher with a hammer and armor comparable to Anthem bosses

and killing him basically drops a pretty mediocre looking mask and a rare hammer that is nothing more than a gimmick 

a mask and a hammer after murdering a bullet sponge for 4 minutes

Do you see why we stop caring about wolf now?

• Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree to OP`s comment and I see where the frustration is coming from. 

The reward system for bosses like the wolf, who takes a very long time to defeat, should be reconsidered. As an option, uncommon mods like [North Wind] should be removed an in its place mods should be added that are being gained in other missions or contracts, which their accessibility is very restrained or singular at the moment.
As a personal and additional point and a bit out of context: This reconsideration of possible rewards should be applied for missions on higher level on the star chart aswell
(example: defection pluto: you can get a Redirection as a reward, but for who?)

I also agree to the argument about the Ephemera. When they were first introduced, they were stated as rewards for special accomplishments. I think many players imagined those accomplishments to be of ability characteristics and not of durability characteristics.

4 hours ago, CephalonTachyon said:

and killing him basically drops a pretty mediocre looking mask and a rare hammer that is nothing more than a gimmick

Nope, killing him drops a North Wind or Molten Impact. I've no idea what this mask thing is, and I'm pretty sure that this one hammer piece that he's dropped for me this entire time was an accidental fluke that has long since been fixed and will never be repeated.

So yeah, I've also no interest in standing there and shooting at one single enemy for as long as the actual mission would have taken only to get some garbage to fall out of his pockets instead of a reward.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Last 4 or 5 times i killed him he dropped nothing. In 2 months i got something like 2 heads and 4 or 5 handle. I spent hours killing him though since he's a sponge and most players never brought anything powerful enough to down him. In the end i'll have to buy his hammer with plat anyway since they literally failed at designing a rewarding boss, even on the long run.

A complete waste of time. I hope they'll do better with the next iteration.

Edited by 000l000

Wolf? What wolf?

You all are the kiddos who cry wolf.

Wolf does not exist.

I never saw one. He is an urban legend.

Not everyone. I'm not tired of what I've seen so rarely. 10 or so appearances in a hundred+ hours of spawnable missions.  Not to mention he's not hard to kill.

What I am sick of is the drop chances of everything they've introduced recently.    I guess while BL3 will be a grind too, at least it will be a change of scenery.

The fact that the Wolf is status immune means that if I don't want to run around everywhere with Valkyr or Excalibur, I need to bring a particular Paracesis loadout.  Granted, that Paracesis loadout kills him in seconds, but I like my Atterax, my Dokram, my Mios, etc.  As a field boss, non-CC status effects should affect him so we can kill him with a larger variety of strong weapons.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Wret said:

I made this thread partially because that first experience left me *uniquely* embittered in ways 50 failed RadShares could not, but also to ask: Can we consider replacing horrible random grinds with long but inevitable ones but for real this time?

This, I think, is the heart of the matter. Random boss spawns with random drop chances from a drop table full of crap nobody wants and no deterministic way to sidestep it makes for a very hostile, frustrating progression system. It's designed not to feel rewarding, but rather to maintain a high level of engagement by masking the true cost of investment in earning these items. Telling players that they have to beat Wolf 200 times in order to get his hammer would be pretty demoralising and might cause a lot of us to not even bother. Set the drop rates for his hammer such that we'd need to fight him ~200 times, though, and a lot of people would. It's the same amount of effort, and potentially a lot more, but... Come on, the Motor could drop on this very next try! It's design that relies on the gambler's fallacy.

I'm of the opinion that damn near every randomly-dropped item in this game ought to have a Baro-style deterministic way of obtaining it, as an alternative to rolling the dice on RNG. Make it slow, make it grindy, make it difficult - it's fine, as long as it exists. As long as I know I have SOME sort of safety net that puts an upper bound on the number of times I'm going to have to re-run a piece of content before I can just buy it directly, I'll be fine. For all the S#&$ I've given Nightwave - and it deserves a lot of it - it's still a purely deterministic system. Want Nitain? Do challenges until you have the currency, buy Nitain with it. We can haggle over costs and it is demoralising knowing that I'll need to wait three more weeks before I can get more currency, but being deterministic is still superior to hoping on RNG. Baro is the same way. No matter what I get out of Void Relics - which is usually NOT what I was after - it's all worth Ducats. Even if it's not exactly what I wanted, I can melt it down and buy something I do want with it eventually.

In conclusion, I'm with the OP on this one. Can we please have a deterministic alternative to RNG loot?

• Applause 1