Sign in to follow this  
AlastorBlake

A little rant about Rhino Prime's Iron Skin

Hello everyone, 

just came here to well, as said in the title, give a little rant about rhino prime. 

I've been playing for several years now, and now one of my favorite things to do is Fashion Frame, which, as y'all know, is awesome.

Since i got the new Saturn Six armor set, i decided to try it on Rhino Prime to see if it works, and boy does it work…. On the base skin.

Once in a mission and the Iron Skin pops up, even with nice primary, secondary and tertiary color, all we see is basically rhino, but golden. It just… Looks bad. So i inquired a bit into the Tennogen skins, and was shocked to learn that the crappy Iron Skin effect still covered them up completely, instead of being the much nicer one used by Palatine Rhino (A shame it looks so bad otherwise.)

So basically, a 6.99 skin on a warframe is entirely blocked by a spell. I Don't see why this isn't a problem for a lot of people. Actually, i do see; those people, from what i've seen, have been reporting this for literally years without being heard, so my guess is they just switched to other frames because Rhino didnt get the love they felt he deserved.

As of now, i was looking to buy the Blade of the Lotus one (amazing work by the designer, by the way), and then got blocked by that simple phrase on a topic from 2017 : "if you buy Tennogen on Rhino, you have to choose between looking at it and using it. Because if you use it, you got to use your 2, which makes it utterly unappreciable to look at, to be effective in combat, and if you want to look at it and enjoy what you paid for you have to not use your 2 which gets you at a disadvantage.". The crappy effect literally makes DE lose money, because it blocked me from buying it.

I think the solution here is simple, because i think giving a choice between "Use standard Iron Skin" and "Use Energetic Iron Skin" (like on Palatine rhino) wouldn't be too much of a pain to code, it's literally "If 1, use 1 , If 2 use 2" basically (Don't know crap about coding but it's a strictly binary button) and would solve the issues of what i have made out to be hundreds of Rhino fans.

I still see Nothing done about that after two years now, so i'd like to bring it back into the spotlight for those who main Rhino (I'm not, to be clear. I'm much more of an Inaros guy myself.)

Thanks for reading this, sorry for the ranting, keep up the good work and hope something will be done.

Regards, 

AlastorBlake

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I posted about this on Reddit yesterday as well, nice. I bought the graxx skin because I wanted a new look for my Rhino Prime, but I was sorely disappointed when I turned from this:

BdCEf5D.png

Into this:

Ao2EH5U.jpg

It looks like rhino huffed orokin paint, and I feel like I've wasted €4,99. Of course I can't refund, because steam doesn't allow that for in game purchases from what I can remember.

On 2019-05-08 at 2:59 AM, koekje said:

-snip-

Why would you want a refund because free armor doesn't work with a Warframe ability?  It's not an issue with the skin.

27 minutes ago, Nukesnipe said:

Why would you want a refund because free armor doesn't work with a Warframe ability?  It's not an issue with the skin.

He's talking about the tennogen skin, not the saturn six armor.

OT:
To my understanding, every rhino skin has different Iron Skin visuals:
- Stock rhino: crappy tinfoil partially covering the body (Is it still lumpy?)
- Prime rhino: tinfoil entirely covering the body
- Rubedo rhino: Glorious rubedo parts are not covered by tinfoil
- Palatine rhino: transparent
- Graxx rhino: tinfoil covering everywhere except the cloth parts
- etc for other tennogen skins

I have no idea whether each skin has its own meticulously hand-crafted IS visual or whether each skin is given a simple "cover all colour channels except __" functionality when implemented... but either way, yeah, I 100% agree that Tennogen skins should just be given the Palatine treatment. If each skin does indeed use a separate iron skin texture, then hell, this might be easier to implement too.

7 hours ago, SortaRandom said:

I have no idea whether each skin has its own meticulously hand-crafted IS visual or whether each skin is given a simple "cover all colour channels except __" functionality when implemented... but either way, yeah, I 100% agree that Tennogen skins should just be given the Palatine treatment. If each skin does indeed use a separate iron skin texture, then hell, this might be easier to implement too. 

Pretty sure every TennoGen skin is just given a default appearance for their Iron Skin, because creators can't edit ability appearances. And even if they did have a separate Iron Skin texture, applying the Palatine effect won't be that simple because I think that effect is reliant on the specific model (I wouldn't really know since I don't own the skin).

• Upvote 1

How about implementing a little menu in the arsenal to allows us to pick which iron skin effect to use?

I understand the observations about Iron Skin covering the skins, but I admit i do love to rock the pure metallic iron skin effect on Rhino Prime whenever I use the Harkonar wraith armor on him (as its metallic effect matches iron skin perfectly, so it looks like the armor is under iron skin as well).

At the same time though I hate how if I use it with any other armor I'm upset the armor stays normal attached over the iron skin effect and I'd love to have a less stronger Iron skin effect on Rhino.

Let's say with any forma you pump into your rhino you unlock an iron skin effect to use, similar to the idea they had with unlocking additional energy colors.

Such an option would have the best of both worlds. (I think it would also be ok to spend a little plat to unlock additional iron skin effects as well)

• Like 1