Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx, The Puppeteer: A Rework Suggestion.

MirageKnight

This rework post is aimed at focusing on Nyx's mind-control / manipulation theme. It expands the number of targets she can control and gives options on what can be done with them in ways that make sense. In addition, this rework gives Nyx some interesting and useful telekinesis.

New / Reworked Abilities 

Neuro-slave (Formerly Mind Control): Orders an enemy to fight for and protect Nyx; up to 1 / 2 / 4 / 6 enemies can be Enslaved. Re-casting Neuro-slave on an already Enslaved target will kill it. Enslaved enemies count as Allies and can be affected by healing / buffing abilities. Note: shooting at Enslaved targets will not affect their damage output.

Disrupt: Reduces accuracy of incoming fire in a bubble around Nyx, but has energy drain as long as the ability is active. Bubble size affected by range. Amount of fire deflected affected by Strength. Note: While active, Disrupt does NOT impair mobility.

Paranoia (formerly Chaos): Nyx creates mass confusion on the battlefield, manipulating any and all enemies into thinking that everything around them is an enemy that must be destroyed. Does NOT affect Enslaved enemies.

Slave-Driver: Neuro-slaved / Paranoia affected enemies attack and move faster, but health drains while the ability is active. Attack and movement speed buffs are affected by Strength mods and the ability can be toggled on or off.

Disrupt Augment > Reflect: Deflects weapons fire back at enemies that fire on Nyx.

Neuro-slave Augment > Mind Freak: Increases attack speed and damage of any and all Enslaved enemies by 100%. Stacks with Slave-Driver.

I decided to toss Psychic Bolts because 1. I feel it's not all that useful and 2. it doesn't fit her. I also tossed Absorb because 1. it doesn't fit her and 2. it's arguably dull and limited / restrictive.

This is all I can think of for now, but this post will be updated if new ideas spring to mind. The community is encouraged to add constructive feedback to this thread and the OP will be updated accordingly.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by MirageKnight
Added / amended some suggestions - Thanks Diab!

as much as i want a summoner class (having mained summoner in FFXI, Necromancer in EQ2 and rift) nyx shouldnt be the frame they do this with. i much rather they fix AI which will fix alot of problems with both nyx and revenant, and nekros. after they fix AI then i think they should create a new type of summoned units and make a dedicated summoner frame using these specs.

Edited by EinheriarJudith

This isn't Nyx. You've changed all of her abilities or renamed them for no reason.

Why the health drain? How does that fit into Nyx's theme? If you think her theme should be entirely mind control, there's 0 reason to keep a bad verison of Absorb/Disrupt.

47 minutes ago, EinheriarJudith said:

as much as i want a summoner class (having mained summoner in FFXI, Necromancer in EQ2 and rift) nyx shouldnt be the frame they do this with. 

Except Nyx has never been a summoner. Nor is she one here.

With all due respect, Summoners...summon / conjure up things.

49 minutes ago, EinheriarJudith said:

i much rather they fix AI which will fix alot of problems with both nyx and revenant, and nekros.

Agreed, but that's a separate problem altogether best left for another discussion.

22 minutes ago, (PS4)BenHeisennberg said:

She needs a buff

Right - and that's exactly what I did with her 1 by changing it to allow Nyx to mind control more targets, plus adding an ability that can make controlled targets do more damage.

It seems like you either ignored or forgot about that part.

9 minutes ago, TheGrimCorsair said:

You really dig slaves, huh?

Nyx sure does 😛

4 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

Except Nyx has never been a summoner. Nor is she one here.

With all due respect, Summoners...summon / conjure up things.

what i mean is pet class. nyx is not a puppeteer either. puppeteers dont control the mind they control the body. nyx is about sowing chaos. so as i said your suggestion is best left for a new frame.

9 hours ago, EinheriarJudith said:

what i mean is pet class. nyx is not a puppeteer either. puppeteers dont control the mind they control the body. nyx is about sowing chaos. so as i said your suggestion is best left for a new frame.

And if you control the mind, you also control the: ____.

@MirageKnight

Thought about it a bit more... Instead of deflecting bullets psychically a la Zephyr, Nyx could significantly reduce enemy accuracy. Also might want to specify that the movement restrictions would be lifted.

59 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

And if you control the mind, you also control the: ____.

this is very knit picky. nothing about nyx is a puppeteer. if anything shes closer to an illusionist. she doesnt even have full control of the mind because of not being able to send commands to the controlled target. its more like casting an illusion where the target thinks you are a friendly and everyone else is an enemy just like how chaos spawns illusions of nyx.

58 minutes ago, EinheriarJudith said:

this is very knit picky. nothing about nyx is a puppeteer. if anything shes closer to an illusionist. she doesnt even have full control of the mind because of not being able to send commands to the controlled target.

Did I miss the part where the suggestion included adding direct control?

58 minutes ago, EinheriarJudith said:

its more like casting an illusion where the target thinks you are a friendly and everyone else is an enemy just like how chaos spawns illusions of nyx.

If anything, this is nit-picking. This makes no practical difference when it comes to gameplay.

38 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

Did I miss the part where the suggestion included adding direct control?

If anything, this is nit-picking. This makes no practical difference when it comes to gameplay.

i didnt say direct control so i dont know where you got that from. nyx is not a puppeteer, shes an illusionist imo. his ideas arent bad they just dont fit nyx.

apparently it does. if she had full control of the mind she could send commands to the enemy to defend or attack select targets. that is not what mind control does. the only thing nyx does as seen in her current kit, is sow chaos by blurring the lines of friend and foe.

11 minutes ago, EinheriarJudith said:

i didnt say direct control so i dont know where you got that from.

2 hours ago, EinheriarJudith said:

she doesnt even have full control of the mind because of not being able to send commands to the controlled target.

?

11 minutes ago, EinheriarJudith said:

nyx is not a puppeteer, shes an illusionist imo. his ideas arent bad they just dont fit nyx.

apparently it does. if she had full control of the mind she could send commands to the enemy to defend or attack select targets. that is not what mind control does. the only thing nyx does as seen in her current kit, is sow chaos by blurring the lines of friend and foe.

You're literally nit-picking the definition of puppeteer vs. illusionist rather than the content of the proposals.

OP did not suggest giving Nyx "full control" of anything. You could change the title to "Nyx the Illusionist" and nothing would need to change.

Her 1 is even already called "Mind Control," so I don't get where you're coming from. She is 'controlling' their minds.

Whether she is doing this by projecting hallucinations or some other means, it doesn't matter. The end result is that enemies attack enemies and ignore allies; there is no difference when it comes to the gameplay.

16 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

New / Reworked Abilities 

Neuro-slave (Formerly Mind Control): Orders an enemy to fight for and protect Nyx; up to 1 / 2 / 4 / 6 enemies can be Enslaved. Re-casting Neuro-slave on an already Enslaved target will kill it. Enslaved enemies count as Allies and can be affected by healing / buffing abilities. Note: shooting at Enslaved targets will not affect their damage output.

With more time to write, I disagree with 2 things here:

1. Nyx should not be able to simply kill controlled enemies. This just creates a quick 1-2 cast cycle to delete selected targets, which is not what this ability is supposed to do.

2. Controlled targets should not receive healing. I think it would be more appropriate to treat them as fully disposable - used up and then tossed aside, with Nyx simply pulling replacements from the enemy ranks.

Also I think there should be a "Hold 1" input to automatically control the nearest targets within range up to the cap. This lets Nyx pick specific enemies if she wants, but also lets players skip recasting 6 times if they don't particularly care.

Disrupt: Reduces accuracy of incoming fire in a bubble around Nyx, but has energy drain as long as the ability is active. Bubble size affected by range. Amount of fire deflected affected by Strength. Note: While active, Disrupt does NOT impair mobility.

I really wanted to replace Absorb entirely, but couldn't think of a suitable replacement. Thinking about it more, how about:

Synaptic Link

Nyx links minds with controlled enemies, increasing their accuracy/damage/target focus and revealing enemies they can see on the minimap.

Paranoia (formerly Chaos): Nyx creates mass confusion on the battlefield, manipulating any and all enemies into thinking that everything around them is an enemy that must be destroyed. Does NOT affect Enslaved enemies.

Not much to say here except perhaps have affected enemies be more likely to attack controlled enemies (making it less likely that they still choose Tenno targets). This ties into:

Slave-Driver: Neuro-slaved / Paranoia affected enemies attack and move faster, but health drains while the ability is active. Attack and movement speed buffs are affected by Strength mods and the ability can be toggled on or off.

Instead of passive boosts and drain, I think it would be neat to have controlled enemies draw additional aggro, take increased damage, and deal progressively increasing damage in more of a frenzy as their health approaches zero. Throw in some sort of benefit when a controlled enemy dies and you have a Nyx that really emphasizes pitting enemies against each other with some serious results.

Disrupt Augment > Reflect: Deflects weapons fire back at enemies that fire on Nyx.

This would obviously need to change if using my alternate power, but I got nothin right now.

On 2019-05-11 at 12:55 AM, DiabolusUrsus said:

You're literally nit-picking the definition of puppeteer vs. illusionist rather than the content of the proposals.

Basically what you do on the forums all the time.

Get a room you two. Made for each other. 

While I don't personally like your suggestions, I appreciate you putting time into something. Nyx's old Bolts did fit her since the effects were thematic. I absolutely agree with you tossing the current ones in the trash. Overall, it's a lot more than DE did on this last "tweak".

I notice you didn't mention the passive. What suggestions did you have to fit this new skill set?

• Like 1