Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Enemy improvements, yes or no?

So with people often saying the AI is not really engaging, I have some ideas to improve them, and here are some of my thoughts

AI behaviour

1. AI on humanoid enemies will prioritize finding cover over fighting face on and will retreat to nearest cover while frantically shooting at your general direction to disorient you

2. Enemies will spread to several groups and surround you, attacking from every possible direction, sticking together

3. Taking damage or hitting area around cover will make them quickly retreat and stay behind cover while groups that don't receive any shot for more than 2 seconds will peek and open fire if no one fires at them

Equipment Improvements

1. Flash grenade

Enemies behind cover or finding cover will throw this grenade at you, blinding any tenno for 2 seconds if caught in the flash. Looking away cuts the duration by half and each enemy has only one grenade. Grenade will give blinking and beeping noise to indicate one is thrown

*Alternative : Concussion grenade that works similar to Ela's Grzmot Mines, blurring vision and deafen you for 3 seconds

2. Airburst grenade

Air proximity grenade that knocks tenno down when gliding in midair, only used when seen bullet jumping or gliding towards them with 50% accuracy at level 20 and 100% at level 30+. Each enemy has only one grenade

Proximity sensor for the grenade is 1 - 2 meter

*Alternative : Airburst grenade instead push you back, stopping you midair with no knockdown and instead making you spinning in place when bullet jumping

Rough grenade appearance

400px-FortniteBattleRoyaleImpulseGrenade

3. Extinguishing spray

A fire dampening liquid brought by elite units, used when they're burned or seeing their comrades burning. Removes the fire effect and reducing heat based damage effectiveness by 30% for 5 seconds

New units

1. Radiation hazard unit

Hazmat unit fitted to deal with hazardous materials and radiation leaks, has 30% resistance to radiation damage and equipped with radiation spray, removing radiation effect and neutralise radiation proc on a small area with 5m radius for 10 seconds after using the spray

2. Engineer unit

Handles electricity with no equal, they're equipped with lightning rods, redirecting electric attacks to this device and reducing the damage by electric proc by 30%. After absorbing enough damage this device can be primed to be arc traps

Individual unit improvement

1. Shield lancer

- Multiple shield lancer in an area will stand side by side, making testudo formation to cover more units and will run to the front line, aiding any grineer retreating

- Shield lancer will hold his shield at an angle if survived a shot with punch through, deflecting bullets and multiple shield lancers will hold the shields to make a phalanx, potentially bouncing back shots to the tenno, dealing damage equal to [PH]50% of the weapon damage back to you along with increased shield lancer spawn

Addition 1

Environmental control

1. Alkali spray

With how often the enemies got melted by corrosive, the grineer and corpus have decided to install weak alkaline spray, neutralising corrosive and reducing the effectivity from 25% to 15% and triggered by increasing acidity level in the air

What do you guys think about this ideas? Any improvements or new ideas are welcomed

Edited by 844448
Additional ideas

Better enemy interaction would certainly be welcome at higher levels otherwise I'm fine keeping the current enemies for low level missions. I like some of these ideas, so long as they can be countered or avoided. For example, you can "block" the Arson Eximus' Fire Blast attack to prevent yourself from being knocked down.

So something like your Airburst Grenade would annoy me immediately if it wasn't somehow identifiable and avoidable because getting interrupted from bulletjump and not being able to do anything about it would be frustrating in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, 844448 said:

1. AI on humanoid enemies will prioritize finding cover over fighting face on and will retreat to nearest cover while frantically shooting at your general direction to disorient you

We have this, and its specially visible in Corrupted Lancers

29 minutes ago, 844448 said:

2. Enemies will spread to several groups and surround you, attacking from every possible direction, sticking together

We have this, and its specially visible in Corrupted Heavy Gunners

30 minutes ago, 844448 said:

3. Taking damage or hitting area around cover will make them quickly retreat and stay behind cover while groups that don't receive any shot for more than 2 seconds will peek and open fire if no one fires at them

Thats just 1. with extra steps...

31 minutes ago, 844448 said:

1. Flash grenade

Enemies behind cover or finding cover will throw this grenade at you, blinding any tenno for 2 seconds if caught in the flash. Looking away cuts the duration by half and each enemy has only one grenade

Listen... do you want epilepsy? because thats how you trigger epilepsy

31 minutes ago, 844448 said:

2. Airburst grenade

Air proximity grenade that knocks tenno down when gliding in midair, only used when seen bullet jumping or gliding towards them with 50% accuracy at level 20 and 100% at level 30+. Each enemy has only one grenade

This is the most cancerous thing ive heard in the last 2 weeks, you have clearly never done Proffit taker either

32 minutes ago, 844448 said:

3. Extinguishing spray

A fire dampening liquid brought by elite units, used when they're burned or seeing their comrades burning. Removes the fire effect and reducing heat based damage effectiveness by 30% for 5 seconds

I like the idea in theory but it will never work in practice

33 minutes ago, 844448 said:

1. Radiation hazard unit

Hazmat unit fitted to deal with hazardous materials and radiation leaks, has 30% resistance to radiation damage and equipped with radiation spray, removing radiation effect and neutralise radiation proc on a small area with 5m radius for 10 seconds after using the spray

So... a Nox?

34 minutes ago, 844448 said:

2. Engineer unit

Handles electricity with no equal, they're equipped with lightning rods, redirecting electric attacks to this device and reducing the damage by electric proc by 30%. After absorbing enough damage this device can be primed to be arc traps

Interesting concept for a unit

37 minutes ago, 844448 said:

1. Shield lancer

- Multiple shield lancer in an area will stand side by side, making testudo formation to cover more units and will run to the front line, aiding any grineer retreating

- Shield lancer will hold his shield at an angle if survived a shot with punch through, deflecting bullets and multiple shield lancers will hold the shields to make a phalanx, potentially bouncing back shots to the tenno, dealing damage equal to [PH]50% of the weapon damage back to you

I like the concept however it would require an increase of shield lancer spawns because... well have you ever seen 2 lancers close to eachother?

All in all i like the idea of enemies with specific element resistances while at the same time dealing that damage type back, sort of like the Guardsmen.
Most of the AI change ideas seem interesting however theyre not practical in a game like this, specially when enemies up to about lvl 60 die just by looking at their general direction.
I agree warframe does need some enemies that increase challenge AND NOT at the cost of fun, half or more of the fun of warframe are the abilities.
So not enemies that cripple you like Nullifiers, Arbi drones, GOD FORBID the fuking comba and scrambus units.

But theres someone more capable whos looked into it that can tell you more and that would be Ziser

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ced23Ric said:

Before the scaling is fixed, thoughts about AI are kind of moot. The enemies have AI, and it's working. It's just that they are either pushovers or bullet sponges with about five seconds in between.

Thats why we're waiting for Ziser to enlighten us 🙂

12 minutes ago, Hi_Im_Chuckles said:

Thats why we're waiting for Ziser to enlighten us 🙂

>:V

Enemy AI isnt ideal in this game right now but from a coders point of view fixing it to a better state is a long nightmare. Damage, enemy resistances and scaling have been adressed and if i recall right Steve is brainstorming to first fix the damage issues. The current AI is working and the issue is the enemies and their mechanics themself, as original post pointed out some of the suggestions already exist but isnt always visable since enemies simply do not have the time before getting killed to find a pathing in the enviroment to for example find cover or flank and surround the player without looking wierd or jump 50 feet onto a platform behind you. If i recall right there was an issue with enemy pathing making enemies do very wierd movment to find cover or flank in the past.

We could add more mechanic-heavy enemies with as suggested flash nades, engineers, hazmat suits and alike, Nox is a good example, hes a pure bulletsponge if you dont hit the weak spot on him, current machinegunners are somewhat good since they dont deal too much damage but have knockdowns on closer players and are quite slow with a large hitbox, same goes for bombards though i wish the missiles they launch would be somewhat more visable and generate more sound to help locate and take action against them.

I made a point about mechanic heavy enemies in another thread.

"Theres multiply ways to add challanging content, example as simple as introducing enemies with damage reduction and gating values that have modified resistance to lets say stuns and CCs, example Embers 2 which stuns enemies would be a stagger on said enemy instead and gives the enemy a short immunity to getting staggared again for a short time. Add massivly punishing attacks to the enemy that can be interupted with CCs where them being in a staggered, knockdowned or other forms of CCd state have a lot less damage reduction, the attacks could have interesting patterns that could allow players who experienced them find ways to dodge them instead while focusing on dealing damage, lets say the enemy takes more damage while casting these attacks. It adds fun and interesting enemies that can pose a challange to players and make CC frames relevant too."

Wolf could use this treatment, would make him a whole lot more interesting to fight imo.

For the original post Chuck have displayed most of what one could say, the suggestions arent bad outside of a diffculty view or for pushing more challanging content but they recruire more detail that whats provided. Flash grenades for example would be devastating but would need a indication that one has been thrown and generall area it will cause its effect in, a random unseen flashnade apearing from nowhere to flash you for 2 sec will spell doom right away. Airburst nade sounds like a fun concept to bring down bulletjumping ninjas but 50% accuracy for them at lvl 20 and 100% at 30+ (lvl 35 is hoplessly low level for an enemy from any experienced players view), they would also need the indicator treatment, showing telegraphs or icons where when they are thrown, where from and area they will impact. Not all players can act on such small indications in the chaos at all times, need clear indications when more impacting attacks are being used against you.

Also note that any improvments to AI will also be seen as the opposite to some players, im all for more annoying mechanics to enemies to give you a challange but we all know there will be those that see this as "tedious" and a waste of time. Some people just want reward without having to fight for it.

DE atm does not seam to want to improve existing content or fix present issues but instead push more new content, nor do they listen to feedback as much as we like so all we can do for now is wait and hope our feedback comes through eventually.

Chuckles i didnt want to do this, next time we doing a radiation hazard sortie im shooting you.

First off this isn't where feedback belongs.

Second, unless we get out ability to instantly delete enemies off the map the moment they spawn removed there will be no benefit to "smarter" enemies. Especially if they focus on finding cover which just means less time they get to shoot us while we kill them. At best smarter enemies add nothing to the game beyond the very early new player experience and at worst they worsen the game's performance while adding nothing of value.

2 hours ago, 844448 said:

It actually does this already... except only on specific tiles (doesn't work on the sandboxes) and only if you don't have to baby sit anything since The Pathing Code forces the AI to walk right up to the target and shoot it point blank... Frost Playerz know exactly what im talking about.

Heavy Gunners for some reason go one step further and try to walk right through you for some reason... liks seriously once they gst close they just keep bumping into you like they are magnetized to you

And all this behavior is just from enemies with guns.... even Lanka wielding Nullifiers charge head first into Danger. Or atleast they charge head first to bring you danger. 

It does this already and the fact that you always have to baby sit so many defense targets on tile sets that give you the worst tactical advantages.... like seriously.... you're always out in the open on lower ground while enemies come from above.... its anoying.... definitely don't want this.

This is is worth trying.... :) 

1. Flash grenade

Enemies behind cover or finding cover will throw this grenade at you, blinding any tenno for 2 seconds if caught in the flash. Looking away cuts the duration by half and each enemy has only one grenade

No.... this game is already forcing Debilitations on us That we can do nothing about in the form of Eximus Enemies.... so unlesz we can pick up the grenade and throw it back then please.... no more.

2. Airburst grenade

No... No more Knockdowns, Staggers or anything that just randomly takes control away from me even for a second. No... No to all of it.

3. Extinguishing spray

Is this necessary ? 

Who even uses Heat Anymore ? If you just want to kill whats left of Ember just say so... Its just so sad seeing her this way now so we may awel just finish her off... end her misery.

1. Radiation hazard unit

Uhm.... okay.... sure....could be fun... but why though ?

2. Engineer unit

Can we use any of this to our advantage ? 

1. Shield lancer

Great but then what ? Doed this present interesting game play scenario or are they just going to be another nuisance we need to use Nuke Frames to deal with.

There is a VERY  large amount of assets that can be reused--that's all the arsenal available to the players. Make some of that available to the enemy as well. Probably a bit of a wild idea, but you can make an experimental area where, in addition to your normal fodder, you also have enemies who use the moves of a tenno(you know, that prisoner from PoE does exactly that, i.e., bullet-jumping,) and have some of the tenno equipment/mods/skills. Those can spawn/be organised purely on an rng basis, so an enemy just sort of has a whatever slapped into the mix. Reduce the time it takes for them to start shooting you, increase their accuracy by a bit, add some resistances, allow them to do slam attacks with procs, reduce their telegraphing times, reduce their reaction-to-player time. You can also do some more wild things like various auras, stun-lock threshold immunity, increased attack speed, ect.,ect. 

Yes, that would also take time, ect... but it's something easier than reorganising A.I. 😄

40 minutes ago, YazMatazO said:

There is a VERY  large amount of assets that can be reused--that's all the arsenal available to the players. Make some of that available to the enemy as well. Probably a bit of a wild idea, but you can make an experimental area where, in addition to your normal fodder, you also have enemies who use the moves of a tenno(you know, that prisoner from PoE does exactly that, i.e., bullet-jumping,) and have some of the tenno equipment/mods/skills. Those can spawn/be organised purely on an rng basis, so an enemy just sort of has a whatever slapped into the mix. Reduce the time it takes for them to start shooting you, increase their accuracy by a bit, add some resistances, allow them to do slam attacks with procs, reduce their telegraphing times, reduce their reaction-to-player time. You can also do some more wild things like various auras, stun-lock threshold immunity, increased attack speed, ect.,ect. 

Yes, that would also take time, ect... but it's something easier than reorganising A.I. 😄

Many of the things you've suggested though would cause problems if they're all RNG based.

Get enemy modifiers that are unlucky? Abort and reload the mission (especially if going for endurance).

The key here, is to make enemies that are challenging and fun to fight.  Right now there really is neither.

My personal favorite enemy is the manic - love his dash n dash out and teleport abilities, love his mechanics of targeting isolated players. Personally, I think he should be buffed to deal much more damage (percentage of health/shields based on whom his current target is) so he's an equal threat to all frames.  

Then give some other enemy types parkour (or add new enemies that have better movement) to help spice up and give variety to combat. I imagine shooting at normal enemies to have this guy show up, then I need to start parkouring so he doesn't pin me down (and the normal units kill me) . Or so that this guy doesn't get close enough to deal some major damage.

Little steps though. I think buffing manic and adding a new unit that's similar to him (but far more frequent) would be a good step, see how the reaction is and move ahead accordingly. We need more variety, nullifers (hate or love em) are a variety that is much needed in warframe. Same with bombards and nox's. 

2 hours ago, Ced23Ric said:

It's just that they are either pushovers or bullet sponges with about five seconds in between.

This is the real problem with the game. The existing content we have could be made significantly more enjoyable by just smoothing out the numbers.

16 minutes ago, Forblaze said:

This is the real problem with the game. The existing content we have could be made significantly more enjoyable by just smoothing out the numbers.

Yup and thus make it more replayable and fun making burnout less frequent/substantial.

Edit: Hurts to see that Warframe's major issues are summarized in two sentences. Yet DE still doesn't get it (nor how to treat it).

Edited by Tinklzs

54 minutes ago, Tinklzs said:

Many of the things you've suggested though would cause problems if they're all RNG based.

Get enemy modifiers that are unlucky? Abort and reload the mission (especially if going for endurance).

The key here, is to make enemies that are challenging and fun to fight.  Right now there really is neither.

My personal favorite enemy is the manic - love his dash n dash out and teleport abilities, love his mechanics of targeting isolated players. Personally, I think he should be buffed to deal much more damage (percentage of health/shields based on whom his current target is) so he's an equal threat to all frames.  

Then give some other enemy types parkour (or add new enemies that have better movement) to help spice up and give variety to combat. I imagine shooting at normal enemies to have this guy show up, then I need to start parkouring so he doesn't pin me down (and the normal units kill me) . Or so that this guy doesn't get close enough to deal some major damage.

Little steps though. I think buffing manic and adding a new unit that's similar to him (but far more frequent) would be a good step, see how the reaction is and move ahead accordingly. We need more variety, nullifers (hate or love em) are a variety that is much needed in warframe. Same with bombards and nox's. 

Specifically the abort and retry mission won't be a problem in that, entirely fictional experiment, because the RNG would be for every single enemy spawned. The idea behind that is to have something more akin of an elite unit coming at you, pretty much at certain periods, but each one, each few ones(if they are coming in a small squad) being different. 

The second idea of the experiment is to see what new things might actually work. The thing with Noxes and Manics in general is that they are too much of a one trick ponies, and adding something similar to them won't make that much of an improvement. Not that I am against little steps, mind you. I think it's a great concept, but once again I go back to my main point--it's reusing assets in the game. That's easier to make :).

PS:I may be bad at explaining things... you can tell me if I am :D.

Edited by YazMatazO

They need to be given roll maneuvers to better gain distance from us and get into cover. They also need more special moves that are dangerous for us instead of just being pew pew pew units that at one point turn into 1HK bullet hell enemies. This along with more heavy units that are both durable and lethal.

But as said, this is highly pointless until they rebalance the game.

On 2019-05-10 at 9:28 PM, Hi_Im_Chuckles said:

Since it's just visible on corrupted, it will be implemented more on grineer and corpus

With more responsive enemies against our shots where hitting a general area around them makes them quickly retreat to cover instead of staying out from cover and firing at you

If you have a better idea, I welcome it

This is the most cancerous thing ive heard in the last 2 weeks, you have clearly never done Proffit taker either

What if I told you I've done it with nezha?

So... a Nox?

Except Nox is immune to an element instead of simple resistance, and the immunity is only for himself  while this unit completely prevent radiation proc in a small area for a short time

On 2019-05-10 at 2:38 PM, 844448 said:

So with people often saying the AI is not really engaging, I have some ideas to improve them, and here are some of my thoughts

AI behaviour

Equipment Improvements

1. Flash grenade

Enemies behind cover or finding cover will throw this grenade at you, blinding any tenno for 2 seconds if caught in the flash. Looking away cuts the duration by half and each enemy has only one grenade. Grenade will give blinking and beeping noise to indicate one is thrown

*Alternative : Concussion grenade that works similar to Ela's Grzmot Mines, blurring vision and deafen you for 3 seconds

2. Airburst grenade

Proximity sensor for the grenade is 1 - 2 meter

*Alternative : Airburst grenade instead push you back, stopping you midair with no knockdown and instead making you spinning in place when bullet jumping

Rough grenade appearance

400px-FortniteBattleRoyaleImpulseGrenade

3. Extinguishing spray

New units

1. Radiation hazard unit

2. Engineer unit

1. Shield lancer

- Shield lancer will hold his shield at an angle if survived a shot with punch through, deflecting bullets and multiple shield lancers will hold the shields to make a phalanx, potentially bouncing back shots to the tenno, dealing damage equal to [PH]50% of the weapon damage back to you along with increased shield lancer spawn

What do you guys think about this ideas? Any improvements or new ideas are welcomed

Good grief! That rarest and most precious of things on this forum...

...some well thought out ideas for improving the game! :surprised: :clap:

I like 'em all...have an upvote from me. Should post a copy of this in the feedback section, to give the devs a chance of seeing it.

2 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Good grief! That rarest and most precious of things on this forum...

...some well thought out ideas for improving the game! :surprised: :clap:

I like 'em all...have an upvote from me. Should post a copy of this in the feedback section, to give the devs a chance of seeing it.

I'm thinking about making the artwork and some tweaking first to make it not too game breaking or annoying at implementation

On 2019-05-10 at 10:28 AM, Hi_Im_Chuckles said:

I like the idea in theory but it will never work in practice

So... a Nox?

Interesting concept for a unit

I like the concept however it would require an increase of shield lancer spawns because... well have you ever seen 2 lancers close to eachother?

All in all i like the idea of enemies with specific element resistances while at the same time dealing that damage type back, sort of like the Guardsmen.
Most of the AI change ideas seem interesting however theyre not practical in a game like this, specially when enemies up to about lvl 60 die just by looking at their general direction.
I agree warframe does need some enemies that increase challenge AND NOT at the cost of fun, half or more of the fun of warframe are the abilities.
So not enemies that cripple you like Nullifiers, Arbi drones, GOD FORBID the fuking comba and scrambus units.

But theres someone more capable whos looked into it that can tell you more and that would be Ziser

This ^

I think the main thing that's needed is synergetic AI and AI that has better pathing.

Take a look at FEAR for example it was lauded for having intense AI that would try to route you, employ various aspects of cover, as well as try to flank you if you're standing still. With Warframe being a bit more mobile this does provide a few issues. However, FEAR had a "cheat code" as part of their game too through the PC being able to engage a "reflex mode".

Recommendations are actually quite simple to make engagements more involving:

1) Bombards, and other heavy units, should try to play "front and center" with maybe one or two supportive units standing by.

2) Smaller infantry, with AI anticipating the player focus, should try to go around to either side. This is your traditional "Bull and the Horns" maneuver. Even ants do this.

3) Smaller infantry that flank should be more pressed to use grenades and other deployables.

I do agree that grenades need their own models, hell I would say it wouldn't be too far off in line to have an option when you see a grenade to literally kick it back at the enemy. I also feel grenades should have a warning marker on the HUD.

I would also recommend adding more infantry gear that 'fits' the roles of various necessities of combat. Regular infantry should have deployable cover and grenades of course but units like Napalm don't have the ability to switch between flamer or flame blast (which limit their combat effectiveness), Scorch don't have incendiary grenades, Bombards have no cluster rocket mode outside plains of eidolon, corpus techs can't drop turrets, moas are too suicidal and the corpus infantry do not play off of this, etc etc.

There's no sense of diversion, no sense of awareness, with such it will always be just "wave shooter" where you effortlessly dispatch countless enemies by farting in their general direction. The game also does not plan on countering a player's strengths in a mission, and without level scaling of any kind the mission is basically just a faceroll.