Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Niryco

Getting lectured, how do you feel about it?

I am an MR 20 player, and even at this rank I feel really clueless at times about the meta, strategies, well late game everything of warframe. To be fair, I have been playing on and off with months to a year of two break inbetween, and switching off from warframe means experiencing many things for the first time, falling down all over again and sometimes, being told off for it.

Also I finally completed my first ever sortie last week hahahah. Before i was quite scared to do it since level 50 to 100 enemies looked so daunting from my past memories of warframe. When i was actively playing, level 30 to 50 void survival/defense WAS HORRIBLY DIFFICULT @.@!!!! Well even way before that Xini defense level 30 enemies were difficult AF :') And without a doubt, i am super squishy in sorties and end-game stuff, I like my agile builds over armor sadly ūüėě rolling, dodging and stuff

But I digress, I feel anxious playing this game sometimes, heck even abit offended, sad or wronged. This happens when I go into missions and my MR 20 is like this bright bulb of attention, indicating how skilled/knowledgeable i am supposed to be, but I won't deny I am so clueless that i usually end up being carried, even at eidolons i am still struggling to pull my own weight (finally got to building my first amp and still working out how to mod rubico & chroma to destroy it).

But it would be a lie to say that people don't bring it up, or lecture me about not knowing how to play.

I, uh, don't know how to take it since i know they don't mean it personally but you know, even if they mean well it stings sometimes. I guess I remember the times when people called MR 10 rhinos using boltor primes as noobs who don't know how to play, but now i am in their shoes and getting lectured well for better or for worse I don't really know.

As a result, I feel abit forced sometimes to decide whether to do some hardcore researching + meta building to be relevant. I mean when going into pubs its our own responsibility to make the run as smooth as possible right? But at the same time, this game then becomes more of a chore, work rather than something i can experience. Fashion frames, mandachord and all that is fun, nothing stops me from building a terrible tune or horrible frame hahahahah its all fun and full of its own moments. Though going back to the topic, getting lectured, researching, making it to the goal and not enjoying the experience, if i had to put it into words the feeling is quite disappointing. Maybe i am burnt out with life and everything hahahahah, i have been playing warframe honestly to distract myself from other life issues too.

So how about you guys, this is such a sappy topic hahahah but i am curious, how do you guys feel, being lectured sometimes about late game matters? Or how do you feel when you see that high MR person in your squad, clueless about the happenings of late game strategies?

For a person's opinion, or lecture, to bother me, I would have to respect that person first. This means the people that come off with "You F#$@%@ n00b!!! THIS is how you do it......" rate a minus scale on the Give A Damn scale.

If there is actual constructive help, then use it, but at the end of the day, how you play is what is fun for you. The other person's opinion that tries to change that isn't worth stressing over.

Are you having fun? Nuff said.

is a game u can play how u fell comferble.

iv muted countless ppl who complain how im doing things wrong

14 minutes ago, Ryim_Drykeon said:

For a person's opinion, or lecture, to bother me, I would have to respect that person first. This means the people that come off with "You F#$@%@ n00b!!! THIS is how you do it......" rate a minus scale on the Give A Damn scale.

If there is actual constructive help, then use it, but at the end of the day, how you play is what is fun for you. The other person's opinion that tries to change that isn't worth stressing over.ÔĽŅ

This pretty much sums it up. Fun. That's why I play, whether I cheese stuff or not. For the wolf farm of this current event I've been taking my Mesa for maximum cheese, while still having fun.

For everything else I'm that Rhino (or insert really any frame) that will join public sortie spies because I've tried stealth frames, I've tried solo. It's too boring and easy for me, so I rather explore other possibilities with any given frame. If it matters for the one incel who is probably thinking "this guy is the reason spies fail", think again. I never trigger anything, and I watch stealth frames fail all the time. This also applies to pretty much any game mode. Right now, with Atlas's new skin, I'm trying to actually learn how to play him on fissures, sorties, arbitrations (with boon), etc, because that's how you learn and become better (which potentially means fun). By putting it into practice.

And when people tell you that A, B and C are the way to go and that if you wanna do different you should use recruit chat, tell them "right back at you", because it's easier to form meta squads than arbitrary squads. When I enter a PUG I know I'm in for whatever happens, and that I'm free to leave if I don't like it. And I do leave at times.

So all in all, OP, have fun. Play at your own pace. Cheese as you see fit. It's a free game in a free world.

If other players give me constructive, helpful advice, I am more than happy to listen (still being a lowly MR11 noob).

However, if someone just starts ranting at me and insulting me, I'll simply ignore them and refuse to help them.

Don't really care either way tbh. I go into missions with a solo attidute, I'm ready to do the whole thing by myself, regardless of what my teammates bring, and if they actively prevent me / team from completing the mission, I ask them to stop / correct first and if they don't - I just leave. 

When it comes to my lack of knowledge on something, I'd rather be told what to do once, than fumble blindly on my own, so usually if I'm unsure of something, I just ask region, plenty of helpful people there.

Also, I just have to mention:

Just now, Niryco said:

rhinos using boltor primÔĽŅesÔĽŅ

It's a good frame with a good gun, don't really see why this would ever be a problem. :P

It depends heavily on how it is delivered. Don't dwell too much on it, take the good, trash the bad ones and move on. No matter what MR you are, I am sure everybody had to make practice runs and all sorts of goofy or good runs at some point.  So just have fun and enjoy the journey.

pretty simple: play the way you enjoy and don't hesitate to use your ignore list since it doesn't have a limit

I get yelled at from time to time by people who believe they know something I don't, you can't really reason with someone like that. They "know" and that's it; black and white. I'm not saying I know everything there is to know about the game of course, otherwise there wouldn't be a point to keep playing. What I do is if someone gets too uppidy and starts insulting I ignore them, if someone wants a specific thing/build/composition I usually don't want to do or is not optimal depending on my mood I say "gl hf guys" before mission starts or stay with the group. At the end of the day that's all you can do.

99% of the time lecturing is just people being toxic, even if it's with good intentions more often than not.

I've had freaking Guide of Lotus attempt to teach me to freaking roll and jump in the air when I was just randomly talking about how Ember is not in a great spot. Oh yeah thanks for teaching me stuff I learned 5 years ago and obviously not implying I don't know how to play. Very helpful.¬†ūüôĄ

You would be suprised how many lecturers are not as knowledgeable about this game as they believe. Even the paragons of perfection, like yours truly, do derp from time to time. Like last week then I robbed some poor Tenno of his Symaris target by forgetting to remove Deconstructor¬†from my Helios (that thing is a fervent believer into ‚Äúthey can not kill you if they are dead‚ÄĚ philosophy and has strong self-preservation precepts). Sooooorrry! Or like today, then I dusted off my Ember for some relaxing Extermination runs in the Void only for a Wolf to spawn and to realize to my horror that I forgot my Kavat at home, that I have no Shattering Impact on my Orthos and that my teammates really want that¬†Molten Impact... that was a long mission. In short - who cares?

Now, I would argue that it is good to have a meta build ready then it comes to efficient speed farming of Trydolon... But! Only in premade. PUGs will be PUGs.

In this game, PUGs are like... IDK, a blank space on a map with a ‚ÄúAnything is possible!‚ÄĚ warning sign ;).

As for lectures... IDK, I would say something only if something would ask me or would run into a Spy Vault I am hacking. Maybe if it is MR0 in a survival activating every life support...

Edit: I was sarcastic with that¬†‚Äúparagons of perfection‚ÄĚ tangent.¬†Obviously anyone beyond MR25 is never wrong and never do anything silly and knows everything about the game! ūüėČ

Honestly depends on both the tone and whether or not the lecturing person knows what they're talking about. 

I mean I've taken and given plenty of advice as a friendly message. But many people who feel the need to comment on what you're doing have one of these three problems:

- they do it while being A******s

- they're sprouting FOTM bullS#&$ or other stupid and wrong stuff

- both of the above

I rarely care if I get lectured by someone. Often the people tends to be cluelss in the end, atleast those who open their mouths and try to come off as better than you.

I've actually had several of these things happen just over the last two weeks. Not sure if it is some influx or new power leveling players that have watched one video to many on YT or something and think they know the lay of the land so to say.

Was grinding some terralysts since I needed more shards for unlocking more way-bounds in my focus trees. Went there with my Volt, a rubico prime and a catchmoon. In one of the runs this guy starts complaining about me using my catchmoon instead of the rubico during the fight. Then at the third limb he asks another guy "Man what riven do you have in your Rubico P, the limbs are melting!?" followed by the guy answering him "It isnt me, it is the Volt with the catchmoon". At the end of the fight the guy that complained had done the least for the whole run.

And now during the Wolf assassination event someone complained about my choice to pick Mag for the fight and then wondered by the end what it was that removed the Wolf's armor. You just cant pay for comedy material like that. I was doing the /picardfacepalm infront of my screen at that point.

The thing that confuses me the most are the people that complain on others in a PuG. If you really want the best possible setup, go to recruit chat and get meta loadouts, dont complain in a PuG you freely joined.

1 hour ago, Niryco said:

I am an MR 20 player, and even at this rank I feel really clueless at times about the meta, strategies.

What meta? What strategies?

That's your problem :D. Warframe becomes quite enjoyable once you forget all about that, and just get on and play. You could be under-equipped for sortie level content, but once you go through it once or twice, it all falls in place, and you start to adjust. 

Also, if you're willing to take into account other people telling you off - perhaps for doing too little damage or something, then I can tell you that you won't ever get any enjoyment out of Warframe. Whoever started the 'meta' hype-train in Warframe is clueless about the game. 

Hey! We are on the same boat.

MR24 atm, the only meta I know is Saryn and Mag, everything else is fail on my end. I believe I have been carried in Sorties about the only 2 times I have done it. Done public Plains Eidolons long enough to max my standing. Have yet to touch Fortune past the introduction quest.

I'm a casual, I'm fine with MR 12-16 being more knowledgeable about the game than me, if anything I welcome when they give me lectures, and make it clear to them that the only reason I am sitting at MR24 is because how long and how easy the basics of the games can be for me since I've been playing for like 4+ years, and not because I have exploited everything the game has to offer in 6 months of rushing content down my brain.

So kudos to all of you non-veteran Tenno that play like pros. /bow /salute

Had too many toxic asshats doing that to care anymore. Not because I do things wrong, but because I don't always do things the boring meta-way, and that tends to trigger some people.

Just this friday¬†for example I saw someone go mad in chat about how another guys spin-to-win whip was outdated meta and how it was bad for the team (arbitration survival), and then rage quitted after 20 minutes. Just ridiculous behavior. Me and the other guy stayed to 30 when patch dropped¬†and got an Aura Forma for minimal effort. That's some karma right there ūüėĄ¬†

1 hour ago, Ryim_Drykeon said:

If there is actual constructive help, then use it, but at the end of the day, how you play is what is fun for you. The other person's opinion that tries to change that isn't worth stressing over.

the hobbit good point GIF

It depends on the situation, really:

MR X and not efficient, but not causing any trouble = ok fine, why would you need a lecture. It's not like the game is any worse off even if you exist in the mission so why care. You can pick Harrow and don't contribute anything ... nobody cares.

MR X and dropping repeatedly so I have to revive your ass 10 times in Sortie 1 = you deserve to be lectured. I don't care if you are MR 1, 27 or anything in between if you keep dying you are deadweight and causing trouble.

I can see a bit where you are coming from, but I will say this, MR means nothing. It does not matter how high or low it is, it just meanz you lvled alot of weapons and frames. And honestly, as I mean no disrespect, some stuff you really should know, especially being at MR 20. Sure it means nothing, but it also means that person has experience and knows what they are doing in game. On the other topic, never feel anxious about the other content, just do a bit of research and take it slow, thats how it was for me when hunting Eidolons, and im only MR 15...I just need a better amp...

I've only been in the situation to get lectured once and it was when I was lower MR and had all freshly forma'd and/or crafted gear on. This was back before MR gave you capacity. I was working through the star chart and using weapons as I went. The mission wasn't even particularly high level. I had just forgotten to do it on my way through and went back to do it. It was a dark sector.

Some dude sitting in a corner behind a Volt shield with a Tonkor (this was back when it was the primary) was lecturing me the whole time about how disrespectful it is to join a mission without having a level 30 weapon or frame and how I was totally dead weight. I wanted to punch the dude but, despite his tone, he had a point and I always made sure to carry at least one leveled weapon or frame at all times. Nowadays I don't really care due to the MR and capacity changes.

So I suppose it would depend on the circumstances? Some people attempt to lecture others for the tiniest of things and they're not even correct. Others, like myself, have explained to people that going AFK is a major social faux pas in public squads and sometimes even private friend groups.
Most often I would say that the things I've seen people get lectured on are pointless to get upset about. It's not anyone else's business if you enjoy using a frame or weapons that someone else doesn't approve of or if you play in a style they don't like (barring when it's purpose chosen to disrupt other players, of course).

Most people don't know how to play the game either, but have strong opinions about how everyone else should be playing it. If they wanted experienced players, they would have recruited people, so honestly, you shouldn't stress about it even when people point out your inexperience. If you want advice, you can always ask for it and find a plethora of people willing to help. Sometimes people might see you struggling and make suggestions even when you didn't ask. For everyone else, they can use recruit chat.

1. If it's good advice then listen to it and thank them.

2. If it's stupid, roll your eyes, mutter "idiot" and mute them.

3. Grow a thicker skin.

3 hours ago, PhoenixFury said:

The best part is when someone lectures you and you stomp them statswise.

Had just the exact opposite happen to me earlier today in Mot.

Me (after getting lasered for the 5th time):  STOP USING THE DAMN LASERS.

Guy spamming the lasers:  "You're the only one getting hit by them"

Me:  That's because I'm the only one actually doing work.

(I had 67% of damage at the end of the mission - dropped from 71 because I was yelling at him for murdering me repeatedly.  He had 3)

I will sometimes send someone a helpful hint if they seem to be not understanding a game mechanic.  I will only yell at someone if they are engaged in behavior that is actively impeding the rest of the squad - void defense murderlaser spamming, bad limbos, long-duration Mind Control or similar things in defense missions.

we should share war stories tbh, here's one:

A guy once told me during an ODD run Nekros needs strength rather than range and pilfroid benefits most from minimum duration and max range, he lectured me for a whole of two rotations defending his point.

Next?

Every Frost Prime on every Infested Defense using bubble and considering the request not to bubble the objective a personal attack.