Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Niryco

Getting lectured, how do you feel about it?

My thoughts when I see a high Mr player is that I hope they know what they are doing, but I don't get upset if they don't. I have carried Mr 20+ players before and have been carried by MR5's. I figure Mr doesn't really matter as much as people think it does and its really more a point of accomplishment like being X level in any other game. Yes, you can use the better gear but it doesn't make you a better player.

That said I loath when people try to tell me how to play/build. Mag on index may not be the best idea but if its fun and pulling its weight what does it matter? Then again I have the same thoughts with Limbo. If your not a troll I don't care what you do or play. Not every build needs to be built to be the best of the best. Some times its ok to go into a map with a crazy slow casting because you know you suck at parcore and would rather have a high survivability or vice versa as a glass cannon.

It's a game, if you can't have fun your not doing it right.

Speaking of communicating with the squad - does anyone know of any tricks for quickly switching voice chat priority on PS4 if you're in a PS4 party?

A weekend or two ago my friends had the following:

Three of us, and we wanted to run the sortie.  Second phase was a spy mission.

We have a rando bring an Inaros into the mission.  He rushes to one of the vaults, and by the time I reach it, it's already on lockdown due to him triggering lasers.  (It seems like one of the Corpus vaults closes off its hallways to any additional players if someone trips the lasers?)  One of my clanmates tries to give him some extra time by popping an air support charge - he still fails.

We go again.  He still brings an Inaros.  He rushes into a vault about 5 seconds after I start running it.  I'm running an augmented Ivara so this particular vault is easymode (other than the fact that I kinda suck at Corpus hacks...)  Go figure, he trips the lasers, mission fails again.

We see that he's saying something in chat but can't hear what he's saying as we're in a party.  He then leaves before any of us can pick up a keyboard and type at him or switch chat priority to hear what he's saying.  I HOPE he was profusely apologizing for screwing us over twice.

On the third run we get a trin (ugh, what's with randos bringing completely inappropriate frames into a sortie spy mission?) - at least he was smart enough to NOT screw things up for us.  If you're not going to bring an appropriate frame to a sortie spy mission, PLEASE just stand there and mooch.  We'd all much prefer a leech to failing the mission multiple times.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Entropy512 said:

On the third run we get a trin (ugh, what's with randos bringing completely inappropriate frames into a sortie spy mission?) - at least he was smart enough to NOT screw things up for us.  If you're not going to bring an appropriate frame to a sortie spy mission, PLEASE just stand there and mooch.  We'd all much prefer a leech to failing the mission multiple times.

As a Trinity user in sorties, I've bailed a few Lokis/Ivaras/Limbos in Spy Missions myself, and also completed a few vaults undetected in those missions.

Just because certain frames are better suited to the task does not mean other frames cannot complete the mission. You can do spy missions with any frame.

Im a pretty noobish player.

Last week got a bit of comments due to taking too long to get to extraction. Got worse when I stated having never used Limbo before. 

Plenty I dont know or do. 

15 hours ago, (PS4)Entropy512 said:

(ugh, what's with randos bringing completely inappropriate frames into a sortie spy mission?)

If you know they'll mess up because they have (or they did, in the case of the stories you're telling) then yeah, complain all you want, but I have a strong reason to doubt that bringing a Loki or Ivara would change much for them.

Beyond that, you reach a point where you can do all spy vaults with any frame, especially when you know how to weave in the Operator.

Personally, I run Inaros for just about everything, including Sortie Spy. Its not the frame, its the player.

Being honest? I didn't know other players talked. I play friends only and kinda just lurk in DC chat... Getting lectured isn't possible under those circumstances, haha. 

when it comes to gaming in general, if i join a pub group i always enter with no expectations. i expect people to be doing whatever they want with their time and for their entertainment. and I certainly don't expect everyone to be playing on my level, there are worse and better.

constructive criticism is always fine but if you have some sort of control issues there's almost always ways to premake a group and organize the way you want in a game, or the solo option.

On 2019-05-12 at 3:21 PM, 3rdpig said:

1. If it's good advice then listen to it and thank them.

2. If it's stupid, roll your eyes, mutter "idiot" and mute them.

3. Grow a thicker skin.

Pretty much this. 

Many players don't have a clue and it's readily apparent when they don't know what they're talking about or regurgitating something they saw somewhere as 'conventional wisdom'. 

If they're doing something odd to your eyes, but it seems to be working well, then it might be worth asking about or actually paying attention to whatever they're going on about if they're feeling loquacious. 

I get pissed...

Then I think about it, study and analyze his/her corrections, google it, wikia it, don't test it on simulacrum cuz it doesn't reflect a real mission experience

Damn skoom was right... [Insert cursing word in caps lock here]!

Proceed to follow said method

Unless mine is better ofc

3 minutes ago, ZarTham said:

I get pissed...

Then I think about it, study and analyze his/her corrections, google it, wikia it, don't test it on simulacrum cuz it doesn't reflect a real mission experience

Damn skoom was right... [Insert cursing word in caps lock here]!

I love how very human this post is. No sarcasm. It gave me a good chuckle because I can definitely relate.