Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack tying everything together might be a bad thing

BloodRavenCap

So, I've seen this tweet where Steve said, that the eventual target of Railjack is to tie every planet together. I'm not the only one who sees the problem here, right? If we have to use Railjack to manually pilot from planet to planet all the time, it would take a lot of time, when right now we just open Star Map, click the mission we want and just dive in action.

Like, just for example, if I have to go from Earth to Neptune for Index match, then to Mars to give Maroo some sculptures and after that to relay for Baro's goods - just imagine, how much time it would take to go manually. I mean, the only thing DE can do here is just save the old system for those, who don't want to fly around manually. And yeah, they said that they will save Orbiter, because some old quests tie to it - but still, I don't want to jump from ship to ship all the time. I want to be in one place, but still be able to fast travel.

That's like the basic thing, isn't it? Especially if you consider that missions sometimes take two or less minutes to finish. Having even half a minute to travel to other planet would still feel as a waste of time.

And, after that, there still has to be some motivation to fly around manually - like some random encounters with pirates or something. I mean, something, that really rewards exploration.

9 minutes ago, (PS4)BenHeisennberg said:

My biggest concern with Railjack is that it looks absolutely horrific to run pub.  I'll either do it with clanmates or roll solo.  I love the coordination and all, but coordination with pubs in Warframe almost never works.

That sounds like it might be hard till you get the means for turrets to work automatically. 

There are strong indications that the Orbiter is going nowhere. Not only is it needed for quests, but there was a glitch a while back where people discovered what is most likely the entry point for the Railjack in the Orbiter.

1 час назад, Loza03 сказал:

There are strong indications that the Orbiter is going nowhere. Not only is it needed for quests, but there was a glitch a while back where people discovered what is most likely the entry point for the Railjack in the Orbiter.

But they were talking about turning Railjack into a new "home" - with all the functions of the Orbiter and more space to fill with meaningless stuff.

1 minute ago, BloodRavenCap said:

But they were talking about turning Railjack into a new "home" - with all the functions of the Orbiter and more space to fill with meaningless stuff.

But consider: People have thrown tons of plat into Orbiter decoration.

I can't see them getting rid of it without a very good reason.

1 minute ago, Loza03 said:

There's also the Helminth room and the Operator room, which I don't see them transferring to Railjack.

So, that means, Railjack will be just another useless gimmick? Man, that was soooo unexpected.

1 час назад, Atsia сказал:

There's also the Helminth room and the Operator room, which I don't see them transferring to Railjack.

Yeah, that wouldn't make sense from lore perspective, I guess. But that's just another contra point to Railjack. Why we would even need the damn thing? I don't see any application to it except cinematic quests, because I already feel, how underwhelming all of it will be. 

• Like 1

Just now, BloodRavenCap said:

So, that means, Railjack will be just another useless gimmick? Man, that was soooo unexpected.

There is a world of difference between 'Railjack replacing Orbiter' and 'Railjack being a useless gimmick'.

It's not unlikely that you will be able to access any content from the Railjack, or maybe even spawn on it  by default if you choose. And, of course, just because the Orbiter needs to stick around for old content does not necessitate it continues to be needed for new content.

There is a world of difference between 'Railjack replacing Orbiter' and 'Railjack being a useless gimmick'.

It's not unlikely that you will be able to access any content from the Railjack, or maybe even spawn on it  by default if you choose. And, of course, just because the Orbiter needs to stick around for old content does not necessitate it continues to be needed for new content.

You see, I never was a fan of space sims. And Railjack presentation at TennoCon was mediocre at best. I haven't seen anything interesting or exciting there. And, just consider for a minute, that this should be the most hype moments of the whole expansion. Like, presentation should have swept you from your feet - and it didn't. Just imagine how final product would look.

I am concerned that Railjack will break old things that worked perfectly and won't bring nothing interesting in return. Piloting your own ship sounds fun in theory, but in practice we might get another open world (but in space) with nothing to do, some underwhelming rewards and no incentive to do any missions. And let's not forget that space sims are very... specific genre. I don't see a lot of people that really love it. Of course, Steve said that Railjack would feel more "anime-ish", more casual and fun. But from the looks of it, I don't see anything interesting in a shooting gallery where you're trying to navigate your sluggish ship through asteroid field and shoot down grineer\corpus fighters. Just look at the Archwing. This mode is abysmal. But the archwing itself is very maneuverable, that redeemes some of the worst moments. Railjack? Doesn't look maneuverable at all. And this crosshair, swimming on the HUD - it just feels nauseating.

34 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

... why wouldn't the orbiter decorations be translated over to Railjack?

2 minutes ago, BloodRavenCap said:

You see, I never was a fan of space sims. And Railjack presentation at TennoCon was mediocre at best. I haven't seen anything interesting or exciting there. And, just consider for a minute, that this should be the most hype moments of the whole expansion. Like, presentation should have swept you from your feet - and it didn't. Just imagine how final product would look.

I am concerned that Railjack will break old things that worked perfectly and won't bring nothing interesting in return. Piloting your own ship sounds fun in theory, but in practice we might get another open world (but in space) with nothing to do, some underwhelming rewards and no incentive to do any missions. And let's not forget that space sims are very... specific genre. I don't see a lot of people that really love it. Of course, Steve said that Railjack would feel more "anime-ish", more casual and fun. But from the looks of it, I don't see anything interesting in a shooting gallery where you're trying to navigate your sluggish ship through asteroid field and shoot down grineer\corpus fighters. Just look at the Archwing. This mode is abysmal. But the archwing itself is very maneuverable, that redeemes some of the worst moments. Railjack? Doesn't look maneuverable at all. And this crosshair, swimming on the HUD - it just feels nauseating.

We have seen very little of it thus far, so we will have to wait and see.

But remember: this is what Steve and many of the older devs were working towards. The ideal they never thought they would never achieve. If nothing else, they have passion behind this.

1 minute ago, Chipputer said:

... why wouldn't the orbiter decorations be translated over to Railjack?

The items could be. The actual decoration, what the items were bought for, can't because the architecture is different.

We have seen very little of it thus far, so we will have to wait and see.

But remember: this is what Steve and many of the older devs were working towards. The ideal they never thought they would never achieve. If nothing else, they have passion behind this.

Passion doesn't equal competence. It's not like they're over their heads - I mean, the system itself is very hard to pull off. I don't think many people can make it fun.

And from the looks of the presentation, DE aren't those people. It might be another mistake - like open worlds.

2 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

The items could be. The actual decoration, what the items were bought for, can't because the architecture is different.

There's precisely... 3 or 4 items that require the Orbiter's specific architecture and those are things that can literally be translated over with one being able to be transplanted.

This is a non-issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chipputer said:

There's precisely... 3 or 4 items that require the Orbiter's specific architecture and those are things that can literally be translated over with one being able to be transplanted.

This is a non-issue.

Again - the items aren't the thing.

The actual decoration people did with them cannot be transplanted over, which is why the plat was spent in the first place, because that needs the actual structure, the architecture of the Orbiter.

1 hour ago, BloodRavenCap said:

Passion doesn't equal competence. It's not like they're over their heads - I mean, the system itself is very hard to pull off. I don't think many people can make it fun.

And from the looks of the presentation, DE aren't those people. It might be another mistake - like open worlds.

Maybe. Good luck convincing them otherwise though.

Like it or not, we're in for a trust fall.