Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why no release dates?

S.Dust

1 minute ago, Zimzala said:

Wow.

Entitled much?

It's a game, not banking software with regulatory requirements and laws for consumers.

It's Art, it gets finished when it gets finished, the people at DE are not your game-making-robots.

Players hype themselves, this never ends, they blow everything out of proportion and then rules-lawyer over each detail - game developers are not to blame for that, the people being unreasonable can only blame themselves, the rabid-gamers are NEVER satified.

Seeing people that know so little about how the real world works make these proclamations is funny and sad.

Glad to see your so attached to the devs and defend there every movement. Dude I just think if you show something off you should have a better timeline on it. They have the choice to withhold what they are working on until they are more confident about their timeline.

9 minutes ago, S.Dust said:

The point is they shouldn't be missing deadlines they set for themselves every other game meets them and if they miss them its never by much or better yet if they dont know when they will have something ready or how long it will take should they even be telling us the playerbase just to get us hyped and then have us wait.

Oh really?
Every other game meets their own deadlines?  What about Anthem and its roadmap?  And that is just one example of many.

DE used to give release dates for when it was pretty sure things would be released.  But that can't account for every single bug that they discover.  And sometimes those bugs cause delays of a few days.
And you want to know what this fanbase does if things are delayed even a single day?  They start raging, bashing the devs, and acting like angry monkeys.
Sure the delays are never that long.  Longest ever was about a week and they communicated through the entire process.  That didn't stop the players from yelling and complaining the entire time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rekkou said:

That's not a point at all. You're just demanding a release date because you hope the deadline will make them rush the development just because you're being impatient.

Is it I havent demanded any kind of date in this post I never mention the next update I just wanted to know why this dev team never gives dates but always shows stuff off while giving us no real hope of knowing when it's coming.

1 minute ago, S.Dust said:

Glad to see your so attached to the devs and defend there every movement. Dude I just think if you show something off you should have a better timeline on it. They have the choice to withhold what they are working on until they are more confident about their timeline.

and you are certainly entitled to think that as others are entitled to think otherwise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

The thing is, the players routinely develop selective amnesia when they get shown something they really like. It is shown on a DevStream, said to be a WIP and then when it doesn't show up in the game the next week, regardless of what DE said, they treat it as forgotten or a broken promise.

This is entirely on the players.

This, pretty much this.

And I'll add that some players dismiss content almost immediately because it doesn't fit their narrow viewpoints on what they want in the game, and they come here making a thread asking about "real" content. Or the classy "The new upcoming thing is not gonna be any good, and I know cause I have eyes" threads. 

Honestly OP, seems like you need to find additional hobbies between warframe content releases. We all know you're gonna eat through it anyways then make another content draught thread. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, S.Dust said:

You say that but we have never had a near perfect launch of anything they take forever and it still comes out with problems. Being honest if they cant give a date I would rather just not know something even exist.

Yes indeed. So why the extra stress and toxicity for absolutely no reason? Isn't it enough as is?

2 minutes ago, S.Dust said:

Don't care about this dev house more or less than any other.

I do care about gamers that push-push-push because of thier OWN issues and try to villianize developers, especially the ones making games.

If you think you can do a better job, get crackin', or accept that the world does not spin around your every desire.

Just now, S.Dust said:

Is it I havent demanded any kind of date in this post I never mention the next update I just wanted to know why this dev team never gives dates but always shows stuff off while giving us no real hope of knowing when it's coming.

If that's true this whole thread wouldn't even exist. 

They used to give estimates, they were wrong a few times, the forums blew up, they don't give estimates anymore. Simple as that.

Most games that I can think of either don't give dates for content release or the ones that do only do it because it's already done and they're just holding it (IE DLC releases for most AAA games.)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, S.Dust said:

You were obviously not around when TheWaitWithin happened, and it shows. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, -Amaterasu- said:

They used to give estimates, they were wrong a few times, the forums blew up, they don't give estimates anymore. Simple as that.

Most games that I can think of either don't give dates for content release or the ones that do only do it because it's already done and they're just holding it (IE DLC releases for most AAA games.)

DE should do that be done then give us a date im saying I would be happier not knowing about something until its borderline ready. 

5 minutes ago, S.Dust said:

DE aren't unique in this. I play a number of other games that operate pretty much the same way.

They tell us what they're working on and which release / patch / version the content will be rolled out with...but they never give exact dates for the releases.

• Like 1

DE should do that be done then give us a date im saying I would be happier not knowing about something until its borderline ready. 

All of us would be happier if all plans always worked.

Welcome to reality.

What else is it you think are going to hear from the community?

Everyone would love to get accurate information about a great many things, the world does not work that way.

• Like 3

Simple. Then don't read the forums. You're talking about what would make you happier. Many of the rest of us are interested about what is coming and we don't get all wound up about having an exact date.

• Like 2

The reason they show us things is because if they didn't then you'd have people complaining that they're sitting on their money and doing nothing. Most of the time you have to go out of your way to even see the WIP stuff by watching Devstreams and looking at the in-development forum.

• Like 2

Just now, S.Dust said:

Then just don't watch the dev streams, the whole point is to show you what it is they're working on, sometimes it takes a long time from when something is shown to actually show up, the only time they really seem to give solid dates at this point is if something's ready and they tell you next week.

They've stated the next update is this month and Nightwave ends on Sunday so it will probably be next week if I had to guess but I can understand why they don't do it anymore, it just led to either the community getting angry or the devs having to work really really really long shifts to get the update out where they'd then need to go into work early to fix whatever bugs it had.

Because software development is hard. And a lot of other things in game development, too. Especially in a company of 200+ individuals trying to work together to create something that is coherent in the end.

And especially so on a codebase of more than 2 million lines (according to Steve in his PoE stream, IIRC) that has grown over 6 years into what I assume is a close relative to both the Flying Spagetthi Monster and Ctulluh.

I'd rather have no deadlines than crashes or other progression stoppers.

Not that that's a bad question, though. We all wonder sometimes.

Edited by Kontrollo
came of a bit too harsh

34 minutes ago, S.Dust said:

Is there a reason DE can never give a concrete release date for any of the updates like EVERY OTHER GAME? I'm actual curious why is it that this game is the only game that just goes some time next week or some time this year/month rather than actually give a concrete date that players can expect.

Because DE is working right up till release.  And unlike other devs, they will release it when it’s done enough.

Other devs will sit on things until the release date if it is finished early (rare but does happen).  Or release broken content when they don’t finish it on time (very common these days).  Or delay and everyone loses their mind.

DE came to terms with the nature of time prediction so very early.  So they don’t bother giving release dates.  It works out rather well, especially when you get used to it and have a nice update randomly after work (Unless you have real slow internet.... then updates not nice).

2 minutes ago, sleepychewbacca said:

You were obviously not around when TheWaitWithin happened, and it shows. 

Oh god, that was dark time.

I remember on the day if release they had to partners over at the office for a release live stream, you just saw staff move around the background constantly cause people kept finding real bad progression bugs and the had to delay the update by another hour to fix it. The update was suppose to be out around 3pm that day and didn't get released till like 10 at night after that it's best that DE just give out a window of release instead of exact dates.

4 minutes ago, S.Dust said:

Love how fast this turned into a teamup post to just bully one player for saying a preference. 

You posted in a public game forum.

Taking any of it personally is not a good plan IMO.

If this is not what you expected, then I guess you learned something today, call it a win.

Just because you post a thought, does not mean anyone will agree or even feel like seeing the world your way.

Edited by Zimzala

1 minute ago, (XB1)The Neko Otaku said:

Oh god, that was dark time.

I remember on the day if release they had to partners over at the office for a release live stream, you just saw staff move around the background constantly cause people kept finding real bad progression bugs and the had to delay the update by another hour to fix it. The update was suppose to be out around 3pm that day and didn't get released till like 10 at night after that it's best that DE just give out a window of release instead of exact dates.

You can always measure how long a particular individual has been in Warframe by the way they react to the small things. 

Love how fast this turned into a teamup post to just bully one player for saying a preference. 

You asked a question. It got answered based on demonstrable, factual history and then you disagreed saying they just shouldn't ever even show us anything. A select few people got a little more frisky with you than the rest and now you're trying to play the victim.

Take a break from the internet for a little bit.

• Like 3