Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do we know if DE is really listening?

nokinoks

For example if we have an idea here, how do we know that DE listens? Do we need to reach a certain number of replies? Does it depend on how many replies with in a certain time frame? If DE forum mods read and pick ideas they like, that does mean that community feedback is really based on what the mods like or is there a numerical value before DE says, "maybe this idea is worth considering". Is there a compilation of forum posts that DE responded to and then actually changed or does DE mostly respond to youtube video feedbacks?

We know for certain they're not "listening" to anything posted in General Discussion, that's for sure.

As for the rest, as they say, actions speak louder than words. Updates and changes will eventually show what they learned from the feedback.

Keep in mind, they're getting feedback from thousands of people, with thousands of different opinions, very often directly conflicting each other. It is impossible to please every single one of them. Then they also have to balance that out with their creative vision, limitations of their engine, resources, time, et cetera.

Edited by KnossosTNC
  • Like 2

The short answer is, to answer the question in your title, is that you don't. 

But not knowing whether they're listening isn't the same as them not actually listening.

The long answer is that there are things that they do, design decisions, balancing decisions, new frame decisions, that often come about as a result of what the community suggests. Seeing what they do and tying it back to specific ideas or feedback provided by a member or members of the community does show that they do listen to what the community says.

However, the community is big. Like really, really big. Even the amount of activity on the forums and on reddit is far too much for them to be able to parse through and evaluate and read every single idea and thought--doing so would leave them with little to no time to actually develop the game. This is why DE community staff create megathreads; threads where feedback on specific things that the development team is looking for is focused. These threads provide the developers a location where they can go to take the community's temperature with regards to significant changes to the game, they may skim a lot of it to figure out what a general consensus is, and then they may single out specific posts or ideas that they find provide good (read: constructive, not necessarily positive) feedback to use as an idea for future changes. As for responding directly to ideas and feedback, more often than not it will be read but not replied to--reading takes some time, and replying takes even more, and as I said previously if the development staff replied to every single idea that goes up, or every single idea they read, it would likely leave them with little or no time to actually develop Warframe.

As for increasing the likelihood of having your feedback read and regarded? You don't have to be a Warframe Partner (i.e. make YouTube videos, stream frequently, etc). The best way for you to increase your chances of having your idea or feedback read by the developers is to do the following:

• Keep your idea or feedback concise but informative--possibly even have a summary that highlights key points of your ideas to give readers an idea of what a longer breakout of the idea or feedback contains.
  • Be constructive and thorough; state why you think something should be changed (or added), how it would improve the game, etc.
  • Be civil and follow the rules; far too often people get too passionate about an idea, or angry at certain things, and feel as though negative feedback has to be made with swearing and disrespectful remarks... It doesn't. The best feedback is feedback that is made respectfully and with a level head, and it doesn't have to be positive feedback.
  • Post in the right section of the forums. General Discussion is not the place the developers go to get feedback... They go to the Feedback subforums (or the Fan Concepts subforums if they want to check out ideas for new things). 
  • Like 1

Listening and actually doing what people want are very different things. They are listening to people opinions for years and it was shown not once, but they do exactly the opposite or something no1 but their marketing team(presumably) asked for 

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

The issue s not if they're listening or not.... the issue is... do they care ? 

"issue" ...oh-kay

honestly i wouldn't care for most of the stuff in here lol. A lot of it is just nonsense like bruh, what's this lmao. but there are some genuinely good stuff too which i'm sure they do care for and take into consideration.

Just title something as an exploit and they will be right on top of looking at it.   They can have bugs for days, crap loot drop rates and tables.  Broken game mechanics (I'm looking at you host migration that deletes rewards).   However the minute someone posts an exploit in the players favor.  Magnus lockdown on eidolons or infinite oxium farming on capture mission they are right there fixing it.

So in short just head your post as an exploit to lure them in.

1 hour ago, Furesis said:

"issue" ...oh-kay

honestly i wouldn't care for most of the stuff in here lol. A lot of it is just nonsense like bruh, what's this lmao. but there are some genuinely good stuff too which i'm sure they do care for and take into consideration.

And yet they do nothing about it anyways...

5 hours ago, nokinoks said:

For example if we have an idea here, how do we know that DE listens? Do we need to reach a certain number of replies? Does it depend on how many replies with in a certain time frame? If DE forum mods read and pick ideas they like, that does mean that community feedback is really based on what the mods like or is there a numerical value before DE says, "maybe this idea is worth considering". Is there a compilation of forum posts that DE responded to and then actually changed or does DE mostly respond to youtube video feedbacks?

DE don't  read General Discussion - so won't see anything posted here.

Best bet is to post your ideas in the Feedback section. Also take the time to read this...

To answer the rest of your question, there are no criteria published that state whether an idea will be acted on. However, if your post / request is well-written and constructive, logical etc. there is definitely more chance of the devs doing something with it.

• Like 1

DE likes to stress that they listened to feedback from its gaming community back when the game was first launched years ago - because it was their last chance to make the game work in praxis or else the studio would be forced to shutdown within weeks.

Unfortunately, the time for listening to feedback and constructive criticism and implement changes based on this is long gone - it will ultimately kill the studio. All DE needs to do is change their ways back to their original roots and begin to listen to and implement changes based on feedback from its gaming community.

I don't think DE will move as much as a finger though - it feels like they have hired team members from Anthem - they have surely been busy driving the game over a cliff lately with their sheer blind incompetence - e.g. nightwave system.

Edited by Shadow-Spawn

5 hours ago, carorinuu said:

they do exactly the opposite or something no1 but their marketing team(presumably) asked for 

oh I guess all those people who have been asking for a catch up mechanic in nightwave were actually the Marketing Department of DE.

the threads that asked for Zephyrs Tail Wind and dive bomb to be combined into one skill and give her a new 2 were just in my imagination.

different appearance slots for Operators were never asked for.

the ability to mute Nora Night, Ordis and the Operator was never wanted.

blah blah blah. you get my point.

Just because they don't listen to the bottom of the barrel garbage feedback some people "bless" these forums with does not mean they don't do what the community wants or needs

• Like 2

Listening is one thing.

Acting on some of the stupid S*** that the community comes up with for reasons they don't understand, on the other hand... And I include myself in that, by the way. It is doubtless that, even if I think I've said is smart and helpful - and even if some of it is which, I've suggested a lot, so hopefully at least something is- some of it was probably dogs*** due to some reason I have no knowledge on. I try my best, but I don't work at DE. My best is the best within my abilities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shadow-Spawn said:

DE likes to stress that they listened to feedback from its gaming community back when the game was first launched years ago - because it was their last chance to make the game work in praxis or else the studio would be forced to shutdown within weeks.

Unfortunately, the time for listening to feedback and constructive criticism and implement changes based on this is long gone - it will ultimately kill the studio. All DE needs to do is change their ways back to their original roots and begin to listen to and implement changes based on feedback from its gaming community.

That is literally the worst thing they could do...given that the community itself can't seem to agree on what it wants...beyond a very vague demand for "endgame content".

DE have done pretty well for the last 5-6 years, just doing what they've done, so there's no real reason for them to change this approach.

What the community wants and what is actually good for the game can often be very different things. Just take the vocal minority who clamoured for  a Battle Royale style PvP mode, for example.

And since nobody can seemingly give a good detailed description of what endgame content should be, why should DE devote significant resources towards it...particularly when they have more regular content in the pipeline?

Plus most other requested changes seem to involve buffing various weapons or frames...which is hardly needed given that most content can be trivialised already. Either that, or stuff that would hurt the game's monetisation, or reduce the grind...again, not in DE's interests.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nokinoks said:

Invest a couple million dollars in DE. They will listen. Until then, use this forums as its supposed to be used, direct all ideas to /dev/null

Edited by tychondus
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

That is literally the worst thing they could do...given that the community itself can't seem to agree on what it wants...beyond a very vague demand for "endgame content".

DE have done pretty well for the last 5-6 years, just doing what they've done, so there's no real reason for them to change this approach.

I'd like to second that. The community has grown well beyond the point where solutions to please the masses are that simple as some make it out to be.

Also I believe the op is asking the wrong question, considering what the forums have become, a more valid question in my mind is "why do DE listen to the forums at all". There hasn't been one change or addition made lately that the forums' residential game designers didn't label as worthy of a death sentence. Heck we've already had a topic about how the new game mode is bad and we didn't even see that one yet.

If I was a game designer and I had to listen to all that garbage, I'd probably stick to the metrics I've gathered and ignore the forums altogether.

Edited by Ver1dian
  • Like 1