Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Profanity Filters Are Finding Profanity Where There is None and Finding None Where There is Some

Kaldwing0718

So I finally earned the ability to gild my Kitguns in Fortuna, so I decided to name my catchmoon 'Skadoosh' (A quote from the movie Kung Fu Panda that is said by the main character when he uses a powerful move) however upon attempting to name it, the following happened:
5CF9A88DE31A25EC66F8CA7B4E907AB21F7162482BF4D283BF8804A145C9D9A0E5206E4CCB748C24My dad who was sitting next to me at the time, told me the filter likely tripped on the 'doosh' part of the name, and then told me to write 'skadouche' instead, which had the following happen as a result:

3DB78E5C1359159284C638040CA09AB4D0687FF961CBF5BD050B51878213C2B9DD566DC0AD20E2B5So yeah, the 'profanity' filter is a little bit odd here.
(Yes I did end up naming the weapon 'Skadouche' despite it's crass nature as either way it would still sound the same as 'Skadoosh' if this ever gets fixed I'll rename it)
On a side note the game also denied me to name my MOA 'Cockatrice' so that makes me sad too.

Edited by Kaldwing0718
Clarification to allow readers to know what the feedback is for
  • Like 3

Regarding the first case, well, there are different languages. I don't know about anybody elese, but I don't know every profanity in every language. I'd certainly love to and I'm working on it, but I'm not there yet, so I can't tell why the filter triggered there.

Regarding the second case, that's just insanely amusing. xD

And regarding the MOA, well, yeah, rice is a pretty offensive part of the asian stereotype, so preventing the word is common sense.

Edited by Walkampf

18 minutes ago, (XB1)DakVoidcloaker said:

Strange that you're supposed to be 18 to play this yet they filter out swear words like we're all 10. 

You need to be 18, because there are laws saying that a violent game such as Warframe isn't good for younger people. DE doesn't really have a saying in this. As I said, it's because of laws.
The filter is made by DE, because they don't want such language in their game, because the game is their property.
I, as a house owner, have to obey the law. I can't just kill someone in my house, just because it is my house. But I can make rules. I can make the rule that if you come into my house, you have to take your shoes off.

Even when a game is for people old 18+ that never stops younger players coming to it, maybe just a button you click Yes when it asks to confirm you are age 18 or more. Honestly the chat filter is a meme just for fun/trolling(mostly with nezha stuff) and DE know that children come to their game so with this information a chat filter is appropriate to have as children would often curse more than older people for fun and I wouldnt want someone, child or adult, keep cursing every 2 words they lay out. The filter is good, the filter is bad but at the end of the day as long as you dont mix nezha and vauban's traps in the same message you should be fine

1 hour ago, Walkampf said:

Regarding the first case, well, there are different languages. I don't know about anybody elese, but I don't know every profanity in every language. I'd certainly love to and I'm working on it, but I'm not there yet, so I can't tell why the filter triggered there.

Regarding the second case, that's just insanely amusing. xD

And regarding the MOA, well, yeah, rice is a pretty offensive part of the asian stereotype, so preventing the word is common sense.

Interesting thought regarding the MOA, I had assumed that it was filtered out due to '@#&$' in 'Cockatrice' rather than the 'rice'. I'm currently in Japan and I haven't really noticed rice thing as racist though I can see where some may find it offensive as not ALL Asian races eat/enjoy rice. I also looked up the matter on the first case to see if 'Skadoosh' was a curse word but that yielded alot of scenes from Kung Fu Panda.

EDIT: The chat filter censored the word I was trying to say but it's the first 4 letters in 'Cockatrice'

Edited by Kaldwing0718
Chat filter covered a word so I had to explain it out, word wasn't meant to be used offensively more for identifying it's place in the larger word of 'Cockatrice'

2 minutes ago, Kaldwing0718 said:

Interesting thought regarding the MOA, I had assumed that it was filtered out due to '@#&$' in 'Cockatrice' rather than the 'rice'. I'm currently in Japan and I haven't really noticed rice thing as racist though I can see where some may find it offensive as not ALL Asian races eat/enjoy rice.

giphy.gif

• Like 2