Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Ki" Polearm Skin WIP

My first foray into Tennogen, a staff designed to be an old Tenno weapon. It's named (currently) after the Japanese for "tree". What with all the weebery that inspires some aspects of Warframe, I've implemented some of that into this.

The current version is the High Poly, I've been having trouble baking the normals to the Low Poly satisfactorily, but hopefully it'll be done soon.

oMpevLJ.png

TC5Wdx9.png

I'm always open to suggestions and feedback!

Edited by iLightning13
  • Like 2

You can have some mark line on your blade maybe with effects,and add some gold on that blade part so that blade can look more like in that Samurai style and not more like some elf blade if you know what I mean... But in the end it look weary good and full with potential 😏👌

Edited by Vlada91

As a polearm main, I like it a lot. One question though, I assume that light glow will change according to energy color. Do you have any plans to make it so that it benefits from the dual energy color mechanic? As in specifying parts of the light for it to show different possible colors of energy, or even a flowing energy pattern in which both colors go trough that part of the handle? 

Best luck anyhow! Hope to see it in-game someday!

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

As a polearm main, I like it a lot. One question though, I assume that light glow will change according to energy color. Do you have any plans to make it so that it benefits from the dual energy color mechanic? As in specifying parts of the light for it to show different possible colors of energy, or even a flowing energy pattern in which both colors go trough that part of the handle? 

Best luck anyhow! Hope to see it in-game someday!

Yes, the emissive map will eventually make use of the two-tone energy option.

There isn't any guidance for how they want the maps set up for it at the moment, and that's another thing I'm waiting for before submitting this.

There's also a scrolling texture that goes up the wood, I'll work on getting a render showing that off.

It looks nice, I would really love this. I would also love to see energy glowing on the blades or it may look better if it goes all through the branches to the blade but not be so intense as it gets closer to the blade but still be present and energy can be somewhat seen.

About the end of the branches, maybe give it a sharper look like an edge of a root, Im no expert on plants but think it will look better if its a sharp edge there

Edited by AwkwardLazarow

59 minutes ago, Acersecomic said:

Very unusual design 😄 Only thing I'd really change is to make the grip longer so it looks more practical to hold.

Thanks for your feedback! Currently, I'm trying to figure out the limits of where the player's hands go on the staff - that's where the final length of the grip will be.

On 2019-05-18 at 3:34 PM, Vlada91 said:

You can have some mark line on your blade maybe with effects,and add some gold on that blade part so that blade can look more like in that Samurai style and not more like some elf blade if you know what I mean... But in the end it look weary good and full with potential 😏👌

Thanks, I agree! I've added a few pieces of gold/accent metal to the blade, but not too much. I want to keep the blade quite simplistic, so the gold bits will be quite sparse. I'm also planning on adding some Tenno script to the edge of the blade that will glow with the scrolling texture. Just need to decide what to write with it.

18 hours ago, AwkwardLazarow said:

It looks nice, I would really love this. I would also love to see energy glowing on the blades or it may look better if it goes all through the branches to the blade but not be so intense as it gets closer to the blade but still be present and energy can be somewhat seen.

About the end of the branches, maybe give it a sharper look like an edge of a root, Im no expert on plants but think it will look better if its a sharp edge there

Currently, the branch loops back on itself at the top, as it's made of a number of winding branches. I'm not fully decided on how that part will work, but I think it's a bit more practical to have it looping around, as the blade sits inside the gap between the two main branches.

Some more pretty pictures

9FYny77.jpgXcILYHn.png

I've added dual energy colours based approximately on what we see in-game, you can see it a bit more clearly in the second image rocking the classic BF3 colour scheme. Hopefully there's some nice customisation options for Tennogen that I can use to make it a bit fancier.

While not relevant to the model, I've tuned the environment image a bit - it was too saturated and threw off some of the colours. Also, I've changed the colouring method to be a bit better too.

Next thing to do is to add some glowing writing to the blade. Something melodramatic probably. Whoever holds this staff, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of The Quick Melee Combo.

Edited by iLightning13
  • Like 1

Good work. I have to be honest though, the position of the blades isn't optimal for what it does. The blades themselves look rustic, although the areas with energy look nice, the structure/shape of the wood connecting to the blade wouldn't hold up to the forces a polearm is subjected to

My 2c

• 2 weeks later...

Made some changes to the design of the polearm.

- Blade doesn't have two sides to it, it just slopes from a peak. Removed the accent pieces from the blade. I want to keep it more simple than the rest of it so that when channeling it'll light up all nice.

- Wood now is symmetrical. The winding branches were ok, but they were very messy and wouldn't have gone over to low poly well at all. I'm going to be adding some smaller asymmetrical branches to it to add a bit more bulk and make it more natural. It also wraps around the blade at the top a bit differently to get a 'bloodthorn' in there.

- Added Bloodthorns into the design. I wanted to make the profile of the staff a bit more detailed, and also bring a bit more than 'glowing wood' to the table in terms of the magic aspect. These are still very work in progress, I've currently got two different materials for them as I'm not sure which one to use.

full view:

jgwdKO8.png

Metal thorns:

hkiOHFw.jpg

crystal thorns. I'm still refining the material of these to match the primary energy colour (orange in this case). These ones would be quite difficult to put in game as I'm currently using a volumetric shader for them.

2iIjFUE.jpg