Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Atlas Rework Ideas

(PSN)LuisCRC_

Hello.  

Ever since I started Warframe, I feel in love with Atlas.  However, I feel as he has a lot of weak spots currently that really hurt his usage in Warframe.  After a few days of thinking, I have decided to share my ideas to rework him.  Let's begin:

1. The rocks he picks up from Rumblers or petrified enemies that died give shield instead of armor.  Atlas feels really squishy at times, which is why its hard for him to maintain a good survive ability in my honest opinion.   On top of that, armor is pretty useless in this game so I really don't see the point of making Atlas a armor based character.  

2.  Status Effects should proc on Petrified Enemies.  This has been a issue for Atlas since he was introduced into the game, from what I've heard.  Basically any element (corrosive, viral, etc) wouldn't proc on petrified enemies, which really separated Atlas' 3rd from Frost's 4th.  I feel as status effects should proc on petrified enemies, but not more than Frost cause then it might be a problem, maybe the same amount of status effects as frozen enemies, which seems more balanced.

3. Rumblers should stack by enemy level.  Just like Nekros' 4th, Atlas should have Rumblers that stack by enemy level (if an enemy is level 200, Rumblers should be level 200 also).  Also just like Nekros, the damage of the Rumblers should slightly increase depending on enemy level.  Also Rumblers should deal Impact damage to enemies.  

4. Tectonics should deal Impact damage to enemies.  Atlas is an impact based Warframe, however Tectonics and Rumblers are the only abilities that don't proc impact damage.  So my proposal for Tectonics is that when you recast it, it explodes, spreading Impact damage to nearby enemies.  This seems like a balanced change as Tectonics are rarely ever used by people who use Atlas.  

And that's all my recommendations.  If you have any other ideas, please share them.   

• Like 1

I am also a big fan of Atlas, and am really hoping to see him reworked before the upcoming Prime release. I think his kit generally underperforms the two main things he is meant to do: tank, and beatdown enemies with Landslide. I particularly would like his Rubble to be updated and reworked to be better for sure.

For your suggestions, I think they need some tweaking:

19 hours ago, (PS4)LuisCRC_ said:

1. The rocks he picks up from Rumblers or petrified enemies that died give shield instead of armor.  Atlas feels really squishy at times, which is why its hard for him to maintain a good survive ability in my honest opinion.   On top of that, armor is pretty useless in this game so I really don't see the point of making Atlas a armor based character.  

Shield is very out of character and off theme for Atlas, as well as being one of the less useful survivability tools available to any frame. I'm not sure what situations you are finding where armour is not that helpful, but to myself and a great many players it is the second most important factor after health in determining tankiness for a frame (sometimes the first most important even) and is far more important than shields for any of Warframes best beefcakes. I think the issue is more the painful tedium of accruing rubble and maintaining it, as well as how limited the armour help is in most situations. I've suggested in the past that rubble should accrue a pool that has an effect more like Nezha's Warding Halo, or at the very least shouldn't degrade. However, shields are a bad alternative to the current state of rubble in my view.

2.  Status Effects should proc on Petrified Enemies.  This has been a issue for Atlas since he was introduced into the game, from what I've heard.  Basically any element (corrosive, viral, etc) wouldn't proc on petrified enemies, which really separated Atlas' 3rd from Frost's 4th.  I feel as status effects should proc on petrified enemies, but not more than Frost cause then it might be a problem, maybe the same amount of status effects as frozen enemies, which seems more balanced.

Status procs would help make Landslide much more effective and dynamic/diverse to play. The issue comes at its base 5% status chance. I have argued it should instead have a scaling status chance, suc that when Landslide's modified is at 2x, the status chance should be multiplied likewise. With the status chance in place, it would imply at 2x the chance should be 10%, and at 4x, the chance would be 20%, which is still low, and I think should be improved or messed around with, but I don't have hard details on what I think would be right in this regard.

3. Rumblers should stack by enemy level.  Just like Nekros' 4th, Atlas should have Rumblers that stack by enemy level (if an enemy is level 200, Rumblers should be level 200 also).  Also just like Nekros, the damage of the Rumblers should slightly increase depending on enemy level.  Also Rumblers should deal Impact damage to enemies.  

Rumblers won't ever be damage dealers in this game until enemy and companion AI is significantly reworked and improved. Frankly, I don't think much needs to be done to their damage mechanically, it may deserve just a raw buff. However, the base two rumblers ought to be able to taunt as the augment provides, as this is gives them essential utility in being an aggro distraction, the main thing I think most would want to due with summons of the sort (and a useful ability for a team's tank).

4. Tectonics should deal Impact damage to enemies.  Atlas is an impact based Warframe, however Tectonics and Rumblers are the only abilities that don't proc impact damage.  So my proposal for Tectonics is that when you recast it, it explodes, spreading Impact damage to nearby enemies.  This seems like a balanced change as Tectonics are rarely ever used by people who use Atlas.  

Tectonics needs a lot of TLC, but again I don't think it can ever have its concept reworked for damage dealing in a satisfying way. It's primary purpose is as a wall, and as a rolling boulder it is simply too niche of an ability to really be able to be a significant damage dealer in his kit (especially when he already has his 1). I think its default mode should be its augment (three walls) or the walls should be larger, or form a circle. This way it could at least be useful around a defense objective. Clogging arteries with the one wall it has its base is less practical when actually used than it sounds - and it doesn't even sound all that practical compared to other options like Frost's Snow Globe or Gara's Mass Vitrify.

I had some ideas on how to rework Atlas in my own thread a while ago, which includes some other options to make his kit smoother and more synergistic. One thing which I think deserves mentioning is having his Petrify angle increase by ability range, as it currently can be quite unforgiving. I definitely agree with the issues you identify as being some of Atlas' main problems, and particularly your second point about status procs is one I wish for as well. Hopefully action is taken to improve his kit before his prime release.

Cheers

Edited by ShasOBorkan

8 hours ago, (PS4)LuisCRC_ said:

Let me just clean my eyes with bleach.