Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mirage Light/Dark (UI?) Improvement

acetylhydrolase

Mirage is a frame with some very extreme potential, but she is generally poorly thought of due to her dependency on what the engine perceives as light vs dark environments so that she suffers from what feels like v random inconsistency, especially considering (unconfirmed?) reports I've seen that the strength of her 3 also depends on the INTENSITY of the light. It's also unknown whether she's meant to be able to force light conditions with her 4 or not, much less how to pull that off properly.

Short of a look-over on the actual mechanics there, which may be worthwhile, I think a simple start to making people stop treating her as MR fodder would be some addition to her UI that clearly tells you whether she is currently in what is considered light/dark, as well as the intensity of that light/dark if that is in fact a mechanic at play here. Some clarity on all this would go a long way to improving her general viability !

Thank you.

42 minutes ago, acetylhydrolase said:

Some clarity on all this would go a long way to improving her general viability !

So... you don't count the two states of her literally glowing when in the light, or going all shadowy and see-through in the dark, and then the fact that there's a HUD icon that pops up to show the actual buff percentages of which one is currently in use?

I mean, it's fairly hard to miss your character literally vibrating and flickering out of existence, or glowing like an LED bulb...

Now I'm a little fuzzy on whether this is actually affected by the value of the light too, because I've never bothered to test, but I haven't seen the HUD's percentage change unless affected by a power Strength buff or debuff. So I'm leaning towards thinking it doesn't.

But beyond that, I'm not sure how you would want it to be any clearer...

As a final note, who the heck do you know that's treating Mirage, of all frames, as Mastery Fodder? She's one of the most beloved weapon-boosters in the game.

11 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

So... you don't count the two states of her literally glowing when in the light, or going all shadowy and see-through in the dark, and then the fact that there's a HUD icon that pops up to show the actual buff percentages of which one is currently in use?

I mean, it's fairly hard to miss your character literally vibrating and flickering out of existence, or glowing like an LED bulb...

Now I'm a little fuzzy on whether this is actually affected by the value of the light too, because I've never bothered to test, but I haven't seen the HUD's percentage change unless affected by a power Strength buff or debuff. So I'm leaning towards thinking it doesn't. 

But beyond that, I'm not sure how you would want it to be any clearer... 

As a final note, who the heck do you know that's treating Mirage, of all frames, as Mastery Fodder? She's one of the most beloved weapon-boosters in the game.

1. The UI reflects max possible values of the buffs, not current active values.

2. She is indeed one of the least played frames in the game by official statistics.

When DE did all the lighting changes they indirectly nerfed Mirage and she's been nerfed at least two other times directly.

The UI values used to be the legitimate values of each buff long ago. I actually have screenshots from that.

I can confirm the newer value is dependent on the intensity of the light and under no situations have I ever achieved 100% values. I don't think it's possible. The Defensive portion is harder to test since it's a base value of 75% and caps at 95% so any typical Mirage build is going to get full value even in slight darkness.

Mirage is still a damage dealer and one of two frames who can boost status rates so I'm not sure why she'd be mastery fodder but her 2nd and 4th abilities have sadly become pretty niche if not pointless. The cast time in particular on her 4th is the main reason for that even after the line-of-sight nerf. A still Mirage is a dead Mirage.

4 hours ago, Ver1dian said:

She is indeed one of the least played frames in the game by official statistics.

I can assure you she is not. If you, like DE, count each frame as separate (Prime and base are not tracked the same) then the base model Mirage last time the official stats were released has 15 other frames lower than her over the course of a month, and Mirage Prime is in the top 20 used frames over that same time (number 17).

Across all Mastery Levels.

She's not the top frame, but she's far from least played by a looooong shot.

4 hours ago, Ver1dian said:

The UI reflects max possible values of the buffs, not current active values.

Yes, but is there testing to show this? I freely admit that I haven't tested.

But.

This is completely skipping over the OP's question and even my response:

OP wants to add a UI element to show what buffs she has.

My response; are the completely obvious glowing effects/shadow effects on the frame and an already existing HUD icon not noticeable enough to show which one she has?

Of course, if you want to run this thread into how we can get actual values (which I still haven't tested whether intensity does change these) on the HUD, sure, I'd be all for that.

Il y a 20 heures, acetylhydrolase a dit :

especially considering (unconfirmed?) reports I've seen that the strength of her 3 also depends on the INTENSITY of the light

This is true, the UI always shows the buff that you have modded for, i tested it for the 95% damage reduction, i die much faster when i am in a dark zone that isn't that dark compared to  a full on darkness. I think they should make her 2 a switch between night/day aspect like equinox... somehow. But she was in a list of the worst frames long ago but DE didn't seem to care about it much.

Il y a 2 heures, Birdframe_Prime a dit :

My response; are the completely obvious glowing effects/shadow effects on the frame and an already existing HUD icon not noticeable enough to show which one she has?

UI shows modded buff,not actual buff, a darker zone can give you a atrue 95% dmg reduction, while a not that dark zone can give you 50%... despite showing 95%. Go read wiki

5 minutes ago, HatedByLifeItself said:

UI shows modded buff,not actual buff, a darker zone can give you a atrue 95% dmg reduction, while a not that dark zone can give you 50%... despite showing 95%. Go read wiki

Yes, but this still wasn't the question asked, nor the comment I'm responding to.

I'm not saying that more clarity isn't necessary. I am saying that the difference between the two buffs, which one you have, what percentage you should be getting, and how long you have left on the ability are already visible, already clear.

To me, if the ability does vary based on light intensity, it genuinely shouldn't. It should be A or B, and if that becomes the case, then adding variable percentages wouldn't even be necessary. If it became polarised, then what we have on the screen right now is exactly enough.

Thx for responses, I understand her mechanic a bit better now after looking at this and a little experimentation. I had incorrectly assumed the cast of her 3 snapshotted her light/dark status for duration, where instead it does seem to swap depending on momentary light conditions... Forgive me, my eyes can do somewhat poorly discerning VFX shifts like that and I thought it was just, randomized visual flair, esp considering that the light conditions of the room seem to hit it pretty, arbitrarily-seeming.

In that case, yes, the concern would mostly be that there's no indication (or uhh, reason) for the INTENSITY of the light/dark effect, so it all implies we are getting much stronger buffs than we generally are and again, makes her have a lot of inconsistency, especially with how lighting in different tilesets seems to skew v differently. I will also say that none of this info was even added into the "tips" section etc on the abilities screen; I know this is kinda just a game you need to read the wiki for, but minutiae this central to what may be her most attractive ability should be a bit more obvious I think. The fact that there's dispute in this thread about how it works even tho we all prolly looked over the wiki before joining the discussion is kinda telling, no?

There are a good amount of posts showing the current results on Eclipse and lighting. I can somewhat show it was not always like this though the pics are old and so is the test data so it's not exact but should be enough to show the interaction with light was changed from a flat value to lighting Intensity.

Both values are about 6% higher on paper than they are in the game. Not sure why. It's old. Digging deep for this.

Maths

Spoiler

Paris Prime base 200 Charge Shot Serration + 8/10 Heavy Cal Crit - Corrosive
200 * ( 1 + 1.65 + 1.35) = 800
Elemental 90%x2
800 * ( 1 + 0.9 + 0.9) = 2,240
Crit x4.4
2,240 * 4.4 = 9,856

Rhino @ 211% Power = 105.5% Roar
Mirage @ 211% Power = 422% Eclipse

Mirage Eclipse Damage
9,856 * ( 1 + 4.22) = 51,448