Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

With the Ropalolyst coming, I need some helpful criticism and advice because what other forum is as brutal and honest?

Nash

In march when the Exploiter Orb hit PC, I made a video on it, but never really showcased it anywhere because I felt pretty disappointed on how it came out. So it became one of those crap drawings you end up not showing to anyone cause of how **** it is. I'm pretty new to video editing so I kept hitting mental road blocks after road blocks because of my own disappointment with the fight itself (I went in expecting an actual fight with ice cubes being chucked, lasers going pew pew pew, Ice beams and stuff, that was honestly my bad, expectations right?), my inexperience, and how there isn't really much to work with tone I created for my video because the boss itself outside of the cut scenes and dialogue has no actual moments of holy **** thats cool or frightening that could be used as a jump cut or gameplay montage. As the video continues I began to lose more and more motivation and want to get it over with because there is nothing to actually fill video because of how mundane the boss fight is, its literally only trick shooting orange juice over and over and over again.. I didn't want to go the meme/informative/speed run route because thats the route most channels go, instead I wanted to show off the beauty of the game, instead of rushing through it with pure efficiency. I wanted to make things look more awesome than it actually is because, Warframe is awesome although lacking. I have plans on making a video similar to this one with the Ropalolyst which I only hope is more action packed. But I want to do things a little bit differently but not sure how, I want some helpful advice and criticism from whoever. What could I have done better and how do you work with the mundane without going the witty meme route or if so how do you do it without ruining the tone of the video. I tried reddit but you know, lmao they down vote everything unless its really good advice, art, memes, newbie innocence, fashion or ass. 😭 

Really help me out here. Be as honest as you need to and maybe provide some examples to what you mean.
I know I messed up a few times, abuse of slow motion, cutting out sound in some areas (didn't want the video to sound like a gargled mess with how many cuts there was), uhh fade abuse.. being guilty of only having 760p resolution... I'm sorry, I got no money.. If you can't give any advice thats fine too.
Is this even alright to add in this section or does this go in players helping players? 

Edited by _Behemot
bad language

Probably could go in players helping players or maybe even off topic? One could accuse you of "click baiting" for views though i dont see it as that.  While i dont have any real feedback for you regarding your video as i cannot watch it fairly due to connectivity issues, i can however say take it easy on the devs. Most long term players will tell you that the exploiter fight is one of the better designed boss fights in the game. For a long time it was only one hit killed or invulnerable phases out the wazoo and dmg caps. 

Lets just hope that ropalolyst is comprised of all of the best things about eidolon and the two orb mothers. Whatever that is. 

Also. I dont think you can make warframe look better than it is without clever editing and since you lack experience i wouldnt make that a focus. Also, its not fair to your viewers. Youd be better off just showcasing what various frames can do and how creatively you can play vs trying to make the boss fight something it isnt. You could always go with the "loud epic music covering most of the game sounds" route tho, to disguise the editing blunders. 

Best of luck, ill try to watch the vid when i can. 

55 minutes ago, PookieNumnums said:

Probably could go in players helping players or maybe even off topic? One could accuse you of "click baiting" for views though i dont see it as that.  While i dont have any real feedback for you regarding your video as i cannot watch it fairly due to connectivity issues, i can however say take it easy on the devs. Most long term players will tell you that the exploiter fight is one of the better designed boss fights in the game. For a long time it was only one hit killed or invulnerable phases out the wazoo and dmg caps. 

Lets just hope that ropalolyst is comprised of all of the best things about eidolon and the two orb mothers. Whatever that is. 

Also. I dont think you can make warframe look better than it is without clever editing and since you lack experience i wouldnt make that a focus. Also, its not fair to your viewers. Youd be better off just showcasing what various frames can do and how creatively you can play vs trying to make the boss fight something it isnt. You could always go with the "loud epic music covering most of the game sounds" route tho, to disguise the editing blunders. 

Best of luck, ill try to watch the vid when i can. 

Can a mod move this to off topic please and thanks I see what you are saying, I'll look up more editing tricks see if that helps out perhaps. I don't want my videos to be too effect heavy, but subtle so I'll start from there.

Edited by _Behemot

First you say that everyone knows it's garbage then you say you want to do a movie to show its beauty. 

The beauty of the garbage will take like so much editing that it won't even be the same fight anymore and put the same disappointment on people who are yet to do it for their first time. 

1 hour ago, carorinuu said:

First you say that everyone knows it's garbage then you say you want to do a movie to show its beauty. 

The beauty of the garbage will take like so much editing that it won't even be the same fight anymore and put the same disappointment on people who are yet to do it for their first time. 

Beauty can be separate from good mechanics. A fight can at once be beautiful and a bit boring. For the Exploiter fight, this actually makes a lot of sense to me: DE spent a long time on the animations of Exploiter, but the mechanics of the fight get same-y by the end of just one fight, let alone however many you run to get everything you want. I still wouldn't call it garbage, but I can understand the opinion.

But by showing the beauty of the fight in a video, one might be able to focus the players' attention on that beauty when the players actually run the fight, making them appreciate the fight on the whole.

13 hours ago, _Behemot said:

I didn't want to go the meme/informative/speed run route because thats the route most channels go, instead I wanted to show off the beauty of the game, instead of rushing through it with pure efficiency

I know you didn't want to go the pure informative route, but personally I feel that the style you are using so far benefits from having a skeleton of a story at its core, and that story may as well be a bit informative.
For example 0:44 cuts to holding a thermia canister with the only previous reference of it being Zuud's lines right before, which aren't the clearest even in game. That could have benefited from a short clip of you picking up the canister, to solidify the feeling of continuity.

The clip from 0:18-0:44 does not make it clear that the veiwer should be paying attention to Exploiter's lines since you are just constantly fighting mite raknoids. This one is hard to find a perfect fix for, but here is an idea.

*Hildryn aim glides over, casts 4 to pick up and hold the raknoids, looks at Exploiter, starts shooting raknoids around the line "...not how to think". Looks back sharply at the Exploiter on "Look at me when I'm speaking to you!"*  For bonus points, from Zuud's lines directly after, you would go watch a condenser spit out a canister.

Once you got outside, you went into montages immediately, but to keep that skeleton of the story you would want to show the basic cycle of the fight once before you hit full montage. The main points to hit in the correct order would probably be: killing coolant raknoids, Exploiter creating thermia fractures, inserting a coolant cell into a thermia fracture, throwing the thermia canister into exploiter, and finally the the overheat and the first cutscene.

One thing I have to give you credit for is how well you pulled off the ending. "We shall not suffer disrepec--*BOOM**cut to black*" was a very good way to end it.

Edited by Nomayonnaiseinireland