Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Spicing up Rhino

(PSN)Hyper-Bird

Rhino is one of my favorite warframe from back when I started the game and even now, at MR 27. He is very easy to use and provides players with durability without having to invest a lot on Mods. Rhino is fairly decent at end game content, but with the release of new warframes, Rhino is easily outclassed in damage bonus, tankiness, and overall use. I think it's time for Rhino to receive a rework.

I will mention this now, I do not scroll through the forums at all. If this idea has been pitched, please don't get mad. I have the augment mods in mind when I thought of these ideas and should not affect them.
Passive
Addition: Rhino has increased descent speed.
New: Iron Shrapnel Counter: This is a new counter like Atlas and Saryn. The counter increases each time an enemy is hit/killed by any of Rhino’s abilities. The counter is added to Rhino’s base Armor and reduces the damage taken by iron skin 25% per 500 iron shrapnel. Iron Shrapnel does not decay. If Rhino is out of Energy, Iron Shrapnel is consumed instead at 400% the cost of his ability. Rhino can hold up to 1500 Iron Shrapnel.

Hit: 50 Shrapnel
Kill: 100 Shrapnel

Rhino Charge
Changes: Base damage is increased from 650 to 1000. Now has tracking when cast at an enemy.
Addition: Rhino Charge can now be cast in the air, sending rhino plummeting to the ground where the player aims. Unlike a regular charge, it does not time out, but rather continues to charge until rhino hits the ground. Upon hitting the ground, Rhino sends nearby enemies within 5 meters flying and has a similar effect as a Rhino Stomp for 5 seconds. The longer Rhino charges, the more potent the slam will be.

Slam radius: 5 meters + 1 meter per second of falling
Stasis Duration: 5 seconds + .25 seconds per second of falling
Damage: 1000 blast + 100 blast per second of falling.

Iron Skin
Addition: Hold the ability to consume all the Iron Shrapnel and convert it into Iron Skin Armor at 200% additional armor. 

Roar
Addition: Roar now has a 100% chance to intimidate nearby enemies, causing them to stop in their tracks for a short time (3 seconds). This can be changed to cause enemies to flee but I feel like it would take away Nekros' ability. Cast the ability again to reapply roar, resetting the damage increase to its original duration.

Rhino Stomp
Changes: Rhino Stomp now gains a 3 second window after the previous cast. Its damage is increased by 200% and range is increased by 75% and the ability cost is reduced by 20% per consecutive cast. Enemies already in the air are not hit by Rhino Stomp again until they land. The damage increase is capped to 800% with the range bonus capped at 300% and ability cost reduction at 75% which is achieved after 4 stomps.

I also think it would be cool if Rhino's stomp animation changes after each stomp, like alternating legs and maybe a jump.

most of those sound more like they should be augments. Of all the frames rhino is in the least need of improvements to his base kit and if you utilize his augments and ironskin charging mechanics He's one hell of a tank.

Unfortunately I can't agree with any of these changes. Rhino has one of the most reliable and well-balanced kits in the game. His passive seems outdated, but any passive which changes the feeling of movement in the air is a passive I'm strongly against on the basis that it can disrupt the flow of your parkour (I dislike Zephyr for this reason). Better not to change it than to change it to something that might make the frame feel worse.

Also:

58 minutes ago, (PS4)Hyper-Bird said:

Roar
Addition: Roar now has a 100% chance to intimidate nearby enemies, causing them to stop in their tracks for a short time (3 seconds). This can be changed to cause enemies to flee but I feel like it would take away Nekros' ability. Cast the ability again to reapply roar, resetting the damage increase to its original duration.

If there is one aspect of Rhino's kit I don't like, in that he has no ability to draw aggro, which is expected of most tanks in most games which have an element of team composition. This change would do the opposite of that and would be a problem. His 4th ability is already one of the best crowd control abilities in the game (and not in need of changing), and in my opinion if his 3rd was to be changed at all, it ought to be changed to draw in aggro, not do the opposite by causing a enemies to flee.

I appreciate the thought that went into your suggestions and post, but I think ultimately they will dilute the purpose of the kit. It's probably better not to break a frame that's not in any need of fixing.

37 minutes ago, ShasOBorkan said:

If there is one aspect of Rhino's kit I don't like, in that he has no ability to draw aggro, which is expected of most tanks in most games which have an element of team composition. This change would do the opposite of that and would be a problem. His 4th ability is already one of the best crowd control abilities in the game (and not in need of changing), and in my opinion if his 3rd was to be changed at all, it ought to be changed to draw in aggro, not do the opposite by causing a enemies to flee.

The only mod for that is Guardian derision. The only problem is you will waste a weapon slot when this mod should be an Exilus mod.

45 minutes ago, moostar95 said:

just because a frame cant survive out in mot for hours on end. doesn't mean they're bad. rhino is the last frame needed for changes. 

He can push 2 hours Solo on MoT. Pretty respectable.

He does better than most would think since he's not subject to nasty armor double dips and the dangerous Void enemies do Puncture.

Only thing that really bothers me about Rhino is blocking with melee not doing anything for Iron Skin. Just the logic. Ugh.

I understand that people don’t like change. But just because something is good, doesn’t mean it can’t be better.

I understand that the faster descent speed doesn’t appeal to everyone so we can just remove it.

I still think the Iron Shrapnel Counter is a good idea. It will bolster Rhino’s Base armor by the amount equal to the Iron Shrapnel Counter. This will allow Rhino to be durable without iron skin. Rhino is meant to be a tank but is too reliant on Iron Skin. The advantage other tanks have is that they can use Rage effectively. 

Rhino Prime has a base armor of 275 which is relatively low. With a max Iron shrapnel counter, his armor would be 1775 which is very high. Of course the added armor is affected by armor mods. This would allow Rhino to compete with Chroma in terms of armor with a Iron Skin as an extra advantage. 

Iron skin or no Iron skin, Rhino can tank effectively.

We can change the roar to cause nearby enemies to be intimidated, causing them to prioritize Rhino as the attack target.

The stomp and charge changes don’t have to happen. They were just concepts I wanted to pitch. I want my rhino to shake the stage with his stomps but I can do that without any changes. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)Hyper-Bird said:

I understand that people don’t like change. But just because something is good, doesn’t mean it can’t be better.

I understand that the faster descent speed doesn’t appeal to everyone so we can just remove it.

I still think the Iron Shrapnel Counter is a good idea. It will bolster Rhino’s Base armor by the amount equal to the Iron Shrapnel Counter. This will allow Rhino to be durable without iron skin. Rhino is meant to be a tank but is too reliant on Iron Skin. The advantage other tanks have is that they can use Rage effectively. 

Rhino Prime has a base armor of 275 which is relatively low. With a max Iron shrapnel counter, his armor would be 1775 which is very high. Of course the added armor is affected by armor mods. This would allow Rhino to compete with Chroma in terms of armor with a Iron Skin as an extra advantage. 

Iron skin or no Iron skin, Rhino can tank effectively.

We can change the roar to cause nearby enemies to be intimidated, causing them to prioritize Rhino as the attack target.

The stomp and charge changes don’t have to happen. They were just concepts I wanted to pitch. I want my rhino to shake the stage with his stomps but I can do that without any changes. 

It's not that it "can't be better" it's that it "doesn't need to be better".

Rhino is intended to tank through iron skin that is the entire point of the ability, as an added bonus this provides protection from all status effects which other tanks either require a separate skill for or have no counter play too. You want to use rage with rhino? utilize the iron shrapnel mod to blow off iron skin when it's low let enemies shoot you a bit and turn iron skin back on.

If you really desperately need more armour on rhino use steel fibre and a set or 2 of guardian arcanes. This has the added bonus of also increasing how much iron skin you have.