Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(The Jovian Concord: Update 25) Wisp Feedback

[DE]Danielle

14 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

~~snip~~

But she (Wisp) already works great though... why can't we just enjoy her the way she is *now*?

Don't get me wrong, some of your ideas sound awesome and fun... but on another/new warframe instead.  I like my bby wisp the way she is.

Edit: And tbh, your aperture would have great synergy with wisp's reservoirs; so would wisp's "breach surge" with your "breach". So yeah, it just sounds like it would be an awesome new warframe.

Edited by Maka.Bones

10 minutes ago, Maka.Bones said:

But she already works great though... why can't we just enjoy her the way she is *now*?

Don't get me wrong, some of your ideas sound awesome and fun... but on another/new warframe instead.  I like my bby wisp the way she is.

I mean, I did point out my criticism of Wisp, criticism other users have pointed out as well: she's not fully functional, she doesn't really deliver on her theme, and her 4 in its current form goes directly against the gameplay encouraged by her 2 and passive. My proposals also specifically aimed to purely add to Wisp's existing gameplay, meaning you could do literally all of the things she can do now, plus some extra stuff. You are, obviously, allowed to like Wisp the way she is and not want any further change, but then I am allowed to not like some aspects of her and want her to change by that same token.

Just now, Teridax68 said:

I mean, I did point out my criticism of Wisp, criticism other users have pointed out as well: she's not fully functional, she doesn't really deliver on her theme, and her 4 in its current form goes directly against the gameplay encouraged by her 2 and passive. My proposals also specifically aimed to purely add to Wisp's existing gameplay, meaning you could do literally all of the things she can do now, plus some extra stuff. You are, obviously, allowed to like Wisp the way she is and not want any further change, but then I am allowed to not like some aspects of her and want her to change by that same token.

From other player's perspectives, it would feel more like it's just taking away from her gameplay. Yes you're allowed to have your preferences, but DE has already spent plenty of time & money (which are limited resources btw) on creating the wisp we currently have. So drastic changes seem kinda unwarranted. Also, just because Reb said "she's a portal-themed frame" doesn't mean she meant like the game "portal"...  Her theme is abstract & incorporeal, just like a wisp is; her theme already follows her just fine. 

Hence why i've said that it would be an awesome idea on a new warframe.  Your ideas are great, but your thought process & reasoning doesn't really justify spending more resources on a warframe that's already loved my many & popular as she is. Especially not when there is already a long list of things that DE is currently working on, and needs to fix/rework/improve on. 

Just now, Maka.Bones said:

From other player's perspectives, it would feel more like it's just taking away from her gameplay. Yes you're allowed to have your preferences, but DE has already spent plenty of time & money (which are limited resources btw) on creating the wisp we currently have. So drastic changes seem kinda unwarranted. Also, just because Reb said "she's a portal-themed frame" doesn't mean she meant like the game "portal"...  Her theme is abstract & incorporeal, just like a wisp is; her theme already follows her just fine. 

Taking away from her gameplay... how? You'd have the exact same buffs, mechanics, and CC effects, used in the same way, but would also get portals and stationary lasers, so you'd have strictly more gameplay. DE has spent "plenty of time and money", both of which are obviously limited, on literally every frame... and yet we still see plenty of frame reworks, because it doesn't matter how much time and money you put into something if that thing's a dud: unless you change something, it's still going to be a dud. Also, if Wisp's theme is abstract and incorporeal, what's with the plants? What's with the big laser gun? How exactly are those thematic? How do either of those function with a passive and a 2 that encourage Wisp to be airborne and mobile as much as possible?

Just now, Maka.Bones said:

Hence why i've said that it would be an awesome idea on a new warframe.  Your ideas are great, but your thought process & reasoning doesn't really justify spending more resources on a warframe that's already loved my many & popular as she is. Especially not when there is already a long list of things that DE is currently working on, and needs to fix/rework/improve on. 

Already loved by many... where? Popular as she is... to whom? Just you? Because it does not take any particularly lengthy read on this very thread, the official Wisp feedback thread, to see that she isn't as popular as you'd like her to be. She's not hated, per se, but reception has been nonetheless mixed, and there are common points of criticism. I at the very least provided a thought process and reasoning towards both my criticism and my suggestions; by contrast "I like X just the way it is, therefore nobody else gets to criticize X or ask for it to change" isn't really a valid argument, nor one that really respects plurality of opinion.

36 minutes ago, Teridax68 said:

~snip~

I'm not gonna do this with you man. You seem to be ignoring much of the feedback by many players, that she's an awesome and fun warframe. Go back and read through the feeback man. Stationary lazers aren't great btw... vauban already had that. It's more fun for many, to control the lazer yourself. 

Anyway i'm not gonna do this back & forth with you. I already told you my answer: It would feel like taking away from her gameplay. It's also not something considerate to be asking/expecting from the devs.

Edit, To be more specific of why it would feel like taking away from her gameplay: I wouldn't want to go through a portal, everytime I want to get buffs. Sometimes players will want to just stay in the same place, instead of having to go back and forth. A & B portals would also mean that there is less coverage for buffs, than reservoirs have. It would mean that you'd need to place them both next to each other, on a defense mission (or expect players to travel back through it, if they want to stay in the area they were) and it would be visually disorienting.  Buffs right now are awesome; they're like a homing beacon that you can just get close to, to refresh the timer. They also look cool. And no they're not plants; the're spirit creatures from another dimension (it's in the power description)

Edited by Maka.Bones

1 minute ago, Maka.Bones said:

I'm not gonna do this with you man. You seem to be ignoring much of the feedback by many players, that she's an awesome and fun warframe. Go back and read through the feeback man. Stationary lazers aren't great btw... vauban already had that. It's more fun for many, to control the lazer yourself. 

Anyway i'm not gonna do this back & forth with you. I already told you my answer: It would feel like taking away from her gameplay. It's also not something considerate to be asking/expecting from the devs.

... ignoring which feedback? I am responding to you with full acknowledgement that many people do in fact enjoy Wisp, I'm just pointing out that many more people are also criticizing her, including people who like here. It is you who are ignoring this feedback and stonewalling literally all criticism of her, which in itself is toxic to discussion and goes directly against the purpose of this very thread. Also, when exactly did Vauban ever fire a giant nuke laser with infinite range? It feels like you pulled some random example with only the vaguest similarity just to shoot down an entirely different idea, while yet again ignoring the fact that I advocated to let Wisp control the laser if she wants to.

4 minutes ago, Teridax68 said:

... ignoring which feedback? I am responding to you with full acknowledgement that many people do in fact enjoy Wisp, I'm just pointing out that many more people are also criticizing her, including people who like here. It is you who are ignoring this feedback and stonewalling literally all criticism of her, which in itself is toxic to discussion and goes directly against the purpose of this very thread. Also, when exactly did Vauban ever fire a giant nuke laser with infinite range? It feels like you pulled some random example with only the vaguest similarity just to shoot down an entirely different idea, while yet again ignoring the fact that I advocated to let Wisp control the laser if she wants to.

Alright man, i'm out. 

Many of the other players who enjoy her, are too busy having fun with her instead of harassing the forums. Please take a break from the forums, just enjoy the game man. Come back when your head is a little more cool. 

20 minutes ago, Maka.Bones said:

Alright man, i'm out. 

Many of the other players who enjoy her, are too busy having fun with her instead of harassing the forums. Please take a break from the forums, just enjoy the game man. Come back when your head is a little more cool. 

... do you even know which thread you're posting in? I'll give you a little hint: it's the Wisp feedback thread. The place where DE has officially invited people to give feedback on Wisp. Which means that not only is this the exact space for people to take time off enjoying the game to give criticism of the warframe, but that DE are themselves explicitly asking for this criticism so that they may act upon it. Me giving criticism of Wisp is therefore appropriate; you throwing a tantrum simply because people are giving critical feedback on Wisp on the Wisp feedback thread is not. It is hypocritical of you to accuse me of harassment when you have gone out of your own lane to harass me for daring to suggest Wisp isn't perfect, whereas I have done nothing but respect your own opinion of Wisp. It is equally hypocritical to tell me to "take a break from the forums" when you have made the express decision to go on here to sabotage productive discussion, just as it is hypocritical to accuse me of getting too emotional when you literally cannot stop yourself from posting, even as you repeatedly claim to be leaving this exchange. If you are to continue posting here, you need to accept that not everyone will have the same opinions as you, and that they are allowed to express their criticism, just as you are allowed to express your appreciation. Harassing people for giving feedback on a feedback thread DE themselves opened is unproductive and disrespectful in the extreme: if you truly cannot engage in discussion without attempting to silence others for expressing a contrary opinion, then perhaps a discussion forum may not be the place for you.

10 hours ago, Maka.Bones said:

Nothing he suggested in that Wisp rework takes anyway anything from her though.

I still get all the buffs from Reservoirs with the added benefit on teleporting great distances.

I get blind + amplify damage of sparks with Breach Surge with the added benefit of teleporting the enemies to my face or just snapping them out of existence for a short bit if there's a pesky Nox or something that I don't wanna deal with at the moment

I get to leave my Sol Gate on the ground as a chokepoint blocker/killer or pick it up and use it like it currently does.

So... actually where is the loss in  @Teridax68's idea?

My own previous suggestion was just a gimmicky slapping on some Glaxion Vandalish / Amprexish (between reservoirs) beam behaviors on to her Sol Gate but after I see his ideas, I think they are much better and turn Wisp into a full portal frame who is capable of teleporting allies and foes around, and the sun itself (or the energy of it anyway) to the battlefield. Only people that should be upset are probably... Nova Mains 😛

Edited by Xepthrichros
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xepthrichros said:

Nothing he suggested in that Wisp rework takes anyway anything from her though.

I still get all the buffs from Reservoirs with the added benefit on teleporting great distances.

I get blind + amplify damage of sparks with Breach Surge with the added benefit of teleporting the enemies to my face or just snapping them out of existence for a short bit if there's a pesky Nox or something that I don't wanna deal with at the moment

I get to leave my Sol Gate on the ground as a chokepoint blocker/killer or pick it up and use it like it currently does.

So... actually where is the loss in  @Teridax68's idea?

My own previous suggestion was just a gimmicky slapping on some Glaxion Vandalish / Amprexish (between reservoirs) beam behaviors on to her Sol Gate but after I see his ideas, I think they are much better and turn Wisp into a full portal frame who is capable of teleporting allies and foes around, and the sun itself (or the energy of it anyway) to the battlefield. Only people that should be upset are probably... Nova Mains 😛

1) She's already a versatile powerhouse. When  you ask for more, DE also removes something; the banhammer would have to come back sooner or later, and it's just going to slash her effectiveness if you give her too much. Portals alone aren't enough to make her fun and enjoyable. Sometimes more is less. 

2) It sounded like he was saying that we have to teleport through, to get the buff (i was talking with him on PM, and he said that you don't have to teleport through.... but i'm not sure how it's supposed to be a portal, and how you're supposed to touch it, without teleporting through?... I'm thinking nova here) If players had to go through the portal to get the buff:

• It would force them on another side of the map, or you'd have to place points A & B next to each other
  • It would take up less versatility for spreading the maps (essentially reducing 6 reservoirs, to 3)
  • It would cause visual disorientation, everytime you wanted a buff. 

Still, I like her summoning small wisps to orbit around her. I'd love the idea of using the little reservoirs like portals, if they also kept their wisp/spirit-flower look, and still orbited around players/wisp, but they also let players teleport from one reservoir, to another one. 

Though I'd still prefer as it is, partially because if you get the full force of the buffs, while also making portals for other players, she's definitely going to be much stronger than most other support warframes, which would call for a nerf... (i'm kinda scared of too much buffing her, for that reason)

Edited by Maka.Bones

Tbh, I also like that wisp doesn't have an obvious full devoted theme, like ember/frost do. That's part of why i think it would remove from her current theme. I like that she's not "basic" or plain like that. It seems more beautiful and mysterious when it's not just "everything is portals"  (And I don't even see how wisps--the creatures--are solely or exclusively related to portals)

would you like some more bacon, with your bacon? Nah you get some potatoes, and eggs, and toast, and pancakes!

Salad with your salad? Nah you get some crushed nuts, some dressing, some dried fruit, or fresh fruit slices, and sliced avocado, with grilled meat!

Chocolate with your chocolate? (ok don't answer the one about chocolate... not a good example LOL) 

Vanilla ice cream,  with your vanilla ice cream? Nah you get some cookie crumbs, chocolate fudge, nuts, sprinkles (unless you like it plain, which I do, but I still use a waffle cone)

A main course entree tastes best, with different flavors and textures that also compliment the main theme. Art also works like this with shapes, colors, and effects. Wisp has this with her theme, and her kit. Making it *ALL* about only portals, would remove the contrast and diversity. 

Diversity that compliments each other, is what makes many things so beautiful. If everything was the same color, it would just be boring and sad.

Edited by Maka.Bones
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

... do you even know which thread you're posting in? I'll give you a little hint: it's the Wisp feedback thread.

10 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

Harassing people for giving feedback on a feedback thread DE themselves opened is unproductive and disrespectful in the extreme: if you truly cannot engage in discussion without attempting to silence others for expressing a contrary opinion, then perhaps a discussion forum may not be the place for you.

Yeah, it's wisp feedback. Not discussion, or harrasment of other players. Not attacking or insulting other players. Not dissecting what other players say (which I'll admit, i'm doing now so it's hypocritical of me to be saying this atm) 

This doesn't help the devs, or provide any feedback for wisp, so please let's stop. Please back off, and stop bullying other players or dissecting everything they say. Let's just focus on talking about wisp, or just agree to disagree and stop bothering each other. 

Edited by Maka.Bones

32 minutes ago, Maka.Bones said:

It sounded like he was saying that we have to teleport through, to get the buff (i was talking with him on PM, and he said that you don't have to teleport through.... but i'm not sure how it's supposed to be a portal, and how you're supposed to touch it, without teleporting through?... I'm thinking nova here) If players had to go through the portal to get the buff:

• It would force them on another side of the map, or you'd have to place points A & B next to each other
  • It would take up less versatility for spreading the maps (essentially reducing 6 reservoirs, to 3)
  • It would cause visual disorientation, everytime you wanted a buff. 

Still, I like her summoning small wisps to orbit around her. I'd love the idea of using the little reservoirs like portals, if they also kept their wisp/spirit-flower look, and still orbited around players/wisp, but they also let players teleport from one reservoir, to another one. 

Though I'd still prefer as it is, partially because if you get the full force of the buffs, while also making portals for other players, she's definitely going to be much stronger than most other support warframes, which would call for a nerf... (i'm kinda scared of too much buffing her, for that reason)

I think his suggestion about the portals, when not being used as portals, will retain their reservoir function. They just have an AOE wherein if you walk into it, you get the buff similar to what reservoir current does. Then to trigger the actual teleport, you need to walk into the actual portal (or they can have a "press X to interact" for extra user-friendliness). The mote flower ghost things are cute (especially their glyph representation) 😛  Visually, I'd imagine it to look like the current reservoir with that floral thing, but atop the floral vase, you have a void portal similar to those things you see on Lua, or just make it look like one of Dr Strange's Sling Ring Portals...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xepthrichros said:

I think his suggestion about the portals, when not being used as portals, will retain their reservoir function. They just have an AOE wherein if you walk into it, you get the buff similar to what reservoir current does. Then to trigger the actual teleport, you need to walk into the actual portal (or they can have a "press X to interact" for extra user-friendliness). The mote flower ghost things are cute (especially their glyph representation) 😛  Visually, I'd imagine it to look like the current reservoir with that floral thing, but atop the floral vase, you have a void portal similar to those things you see on Lua, or just make it look like one of Dr Strange's Sling Ring Portals...

Yeah that would keep their unique aesthetic. That does sound cool, but how would that be balanced? An augment?

1 minute ago, Maka.Bones said:

Yeah that would keep their unique aesthetic. That does sound cool, but how would that be balanced? An augment?

Augment sounds fine. And it will probably be one of the better augments to be released, as opposed to... some of those we have for other warframes. 

8 hours ago, Maka.Bones said:

Yeah, it's wisp feedback. Not discussion, or harrasment of other players. Not attacking or insulting other players. Not dissecting what other players say (which I'll admit, i'm doing now so it's hypocritical of me to be saying this atm) 

You should perhaps be taking your own advice, as even you're starting to realize the inherent hypocrisy in what you're saying here. I did not ask anything of you in this thread when you decided to start attacking me, insult my person, and harass me while clogging up this thread with not a double, but a triple post. This thread is not about you, nor is it about me, it is about Wisp: we are allowed to disagree with each other, which means you don't get to bash me over the head just because I want Wisp to change and you don't.

This doesn't help the devs, or provide any feedback for wisp, so please let's stop. Please back off, and stop bullying other players or dissecting everything they say. Let's just focus on talking about wisp, or just agree to disagree and stop bothering each other. 

I agree: please stop. Instead of posting literally three times in a row about how much you dislike me and everything I say, go do something else. You are the one bullying others here by specifically seeking people to attack, and continuing to attack them while hypocritically pretending to want to improve discussion, and you are the one dissecting what they say by using the slightest turns of phrase in their posts to put words in their mouths (in this instance, by assuming that I wanted to force people to teleport to access Wisp's 1 buffs in my suggestions, something I had never said or implied). Nothing you have said or done on this thread has been beneficial to discussion on Wisp, nor have you given any actionable feedback for DE to work with.

7 hours ago, Xepthrichros said:

This is pretty much what I was trying to convey, yep. My explicit intention with my proposals was to take Wisp's current kit, and add new effects on top that would add to gameplay, which means players should still be able to do what they do now, while having more options at hand. Regarding the portals, I was actually thinking they should work more like portals in Portal than Nova's Wormhole, in the sense that you'd just be "joining" two different locations in space and just be able to casually walk back and forth through, though considering how I have no idea if DE's tech can accommodate that, a Wormhole-like portal could work fine as well, and outright passing through shouldn't be necessary to gain the buffs.

8 hours ago, Maka.Bones said:

1) She's already a versatile powerhouse. When  you ask for more, DE also removes something; the banhammer would have to come back sooner or later, and it's just going to slash her effectiveness if you give her too much. Portals alone aren't enough to make her fun and enjoyable. Sometimes more is less. 

If fear of nerfs is your concern, why not address that concern towards DE so that they don't nerf frames unnecessarily, instead of trying to bully other players into silence when they propose buffs? Also, how exactly do you know that "portals alone aren't enough to make her fun and enjoyable"? Have you played my kit? Because the concept of portals themselves is so rich with gameplay that it spawned not one, but two games centered around the mechanic, to say nothing of the many subsequent games that included portals in their gameplay as well. Who else to let play with portals but the game's designated portal frame?

Edited by Teridax68

So for some clarity here:

This thread is a place for you to provide feedback and have discussion about Wisp and her powers, looks, etc. That is something that we encourage, positive or negative, but it needs to be constructive.

Being constructive does not cover insulting other players, acting in a way that violates the forum rules, or generally being uncivil. If you want to have a discussion, then have a discussion, but do it in a way that treats other players with respect. This goes for everyone.

• Like 5

About her passive, im just gonna say that maybe could be better if it was like limbo's passive, cause instead of being flying around for getting it useful, rather be shifting so se could run and turn invisible but she can't dmg other enemies while invis, also keeping in mind that she could have all free mobility while invis.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FeJoToRe said:

About her passive, im just gonna say that maybe could be better if it was like limbo's passive, cause instead of being flying around for getting it useful, rather be shifting so se could run and turn invisible but she can't dmg other enemies while invis, also keeping in mind that she could have all free mobility while invis.

That's a cool idea!

I do like the fun of playing "the floor is lava" though. But your perspective/idea also makes sense for the utility of it. 

Edited by Maka.Bones

I imagine most of my feedback has probably been said before in these 33 pages, but since I formaed her several times here is my feedback:

1) I like her reservoir buffs. I do wish you'd give better control options for cycled skills. I've said this before, probably for years now, but giving warframe specific keybind overrides for certain things the way you have in Overwatch as an option would be helpful in addition to giving those specific frames the option to bind each cycled ability directly (IE: bind it to a key that just uses it rather than having to use the cycle system). 

Alternatively, I think you could simply make it so she drops all 3 reservoirs (or however many she currently has when leveling) when you hold 1 in a formation around her (1 in front, 1 to the left and behind 1 to the right and behind) and remove cycling from it completely as it's really unnecessary and adds nothing to her gameplay. Hold 1, press 1, hold 1 again, pres 1 again, hold 1 again, press 1 again if you want it to sit on the same starting reservoir for next time is just clunky. It's not like Ivara where you're cycling for a specific ability for a specific purpose. You're just setting up a buffing station and are making players press an obnoxious sequence of keys in order to set it up completely. You could let her drop 2-3 clusters total and just have 1 icon on the map for a cluster which would also reduce visual clutter on the minimap. That would be a nice QoL improvement, especially in gamemodes where you're moving most of the time. 

2) This is also a neat ability, though not one you really need often in most content. One suggestion would be that when you hold the key for the faster travel form of the ability, maybe have the camera move with the clone so you can more easily control and see where you're going since the purpose of the hold mode seems to be faster travel. I'm not sure exactly how fast it moves and how that compares to parkour, but if it's not really much faster than other methods of travel maybe increase the speed of the held version also. 

3) This seems like a potentially strong ability particularly in higher level content, but I didn't really need to use it much formaing her so I don't know much about the mechanic still. In theory it seems like the sparks would have an issue against armor since you're first dealing with armor of the enemy procing it and then the spark hits another enemy. If both enemies are heavily armored the spark damage would be really weak I think? Maybe the sparks should ignore armor so you're not potentially dealing with armor from two enemies when trying to use the mechanic? In maps where there are both armored and unarmored targets that would potentially let you focus on the unarmored ones to proc sparks that could do a lot of damage to armored ones, but that just seems like interesting strategy added to gameplay rather than a problem. 

4) I didn't really feel the need to use this over just killing things with my weapons, but I guess it has potential. I'd bring back it's ability to pop nullifier bubbles as it seems thematically appropriate (you're opening a portal to the sun and it seems like the suns damage would hurt the bubble). As someone who's played Octavia a lot in the past I also don't buy into the excuse that abilities aren't supposed to affect nullifiers since that's clearly not the case for mallet (unless you finally nerfed it at some point when I wasn't playing). Is it really that much of an issue letting people hit a bubble with this compared to a fast hitting weapon? This is a precise ability compared to mallet being a potentially large AoE. You have to point it at the bubble. It's no more powerful than having a fast hitting weapon with you and pointing it at a bubble and shooting it. 

I find that the motes from Reservoir are very visually distracting. 

Having the solid motes moving into view between my warframe and the screen was constantly drawing my eyes away from the rest of the action.  It wouldn't be as bad if they were translucent or diaphanous, similar to Baruuk's Desolate Hands or the way Mirage's Hall of Mirrors causes the dopplegangers to fade out when in your direct line of vision.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, (NSW)draugath said:

I find that the motes from Reservoir are very visually distracting. 

Having the solid motes moving into view between my warframe and the screen was constantly drawing my eyes away from the rest of the action.  It wouldn't be as bad if they were translucent or diaphanous, similar to Baruuk's Desolate Hands or the way Mirage's Hall of Mirrors causes the dopplegangers to fade out when in your direct line of vision.

I don't find them distracting, but this definitely sounds like it would help many other players who would. It's a good compromise for people who think they look cool (like me) and people who notice them too much, or find them visually obstructive despite their small size.