Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Allow for more Archetypes (Tanking)

TehGrief

Warframe is a game that has always included elements of class-based RPG archetypes, such as the well known "holy trinity" of DPS (the damage dealers), Tank (the one who takes the aggro), and Healer (the title says it all). Additionally, there are generally always more intricate and niche class-archetypes such as Rogue (steath) and non-healer support (crowd-control, buff/debuff).

Through the history of each warframe, we've generally seen one of these archetypes applied to the structured play and mechanics of each ability and passive for the individual characters.

While DPS will always have more options available (due to popularity), it would be nice to see more alternatives given to the other archetypes. "Pure"-archetypes have become few and far between as we've seen the release of some of the newer warframes. 

The one specific archetype that I feel the game lacks the most has to actually be tank. What I mean by this isn't that we don't have "tanky"-frames, we certainly do... there are many warframes that are capable of taking immense amounts of damage based on survival abilities or mechanics, but rather that we don't have any warframes that are able to direct enemy aggression away from allies.

I wanted to cover a series of ideas I have compiled detailing some changes I would like to see for the tank-archetype.

Key Mechanics - 'Taunting'

When it comes to redirecting and taking aggression away from allies, "taunting" has always been a classic solution. The theory behind it is that you draw the attention of any enemies that have line-of-sight on you. 

Sadly, there is currently only ONE source of taunting in the game - Guardian Derision (I don't consider Titanic Rumbler to be a reliable enough source).

Guardian Derision is incredibly underwhelming and could use some changes; it currently functions as follows:

> When blocking, enemies within 15 meters will shift their focus to you instead.

While this can be useful when protecting objectives, this does very little to protect allies; 15 meters is just too small of a range. 

My suggested changes are the following:
> When blocking, enemies within 25 meters will shift their focus to you instead (must have line of sight).

> Range can be increased further by using Reach / Primed Reach.

Being able to taunt enemies from further away will allow for our Tank-archetype players to take more control of the battlefield. Taking aggression away from teammates will also allow for frames with naturally lower defense (such as Nyx, Ember, Mag, etc.) to be able to scale more usefully in higher-tiered content (under the assumption that the team composition is organized enough).

Other more realistic approaches to an increase in range for taunting could be given to builds that utilize mods such as Rage or Hunter Adrenaline, or frames that have abilities focused on taking damage such as Chroma (Vex Armour), Rhino (Iron Skin), Nezha (Warding Halo), and Nyx (Assimilate).

I think it should be considered that more abilities (or augments) incorporate taunting as a mechanic, for example: It would be so perfect if Rhino's Roar also causes a taunt in the ability radius, causing a natural synergy between Iron Skin and Roar (draw aggro, gain more charges). Additionally, concepts similar to the Fatal Attraction mod for Djinn could be given to other companions; for example, Kubrow could have a 'Roar'-like precept mod that causes enemies within range to be taunted. 

Key Mechanics - Reflecting Damage (better known as "Thorns")

Most RPG's that include a blocking mechanic also feature a "thorns" mechanic - reflecting a portion or damage back to the attackers. Warframe has a feature that while you are channeling melee, you are automatically reflecting a portion of the damage back onto attackers. Currently we have ONE mod in the game that interacts with the damage reflection mechanic - aptly named Reflection, it currently functions as follows:

> Increases the damage that blocking reflects back at attackers when blocking while channeling.

What the mod does is perfect, it increases the amount of damage that is reflected - potentially causing more damage than the target was capable of dealing themselves. However, one of the major criticisms I have to give to this mod is the fact that it is a WARFRAME mod, and not a MELEE mod. My suggestion is to change it from a mod that you equip to your warframe to a melee channeling mod.

Key Mechanics - 'Parrying'

When considering melee fighting styles, a parry is often a countermove or retaliation against the attacker. The Parry mod in Warframe is no exception; while channeling melee, if you perform a block you will also perform a counter-finisher move. Parrying can increase suitability while additionally outputting some damage. 

Currently, you will automatically parry a blocked attack within a 45° cone in front of your character. This angle can be increased by using the Reflex Guard mod, which at max rank can increase the angle to 90°. 

The trouble with this mod is once again that it can only be equipped on your Warframe - NOT your melee weapon. My suggestion is to change it from a mod that you equip to your warframe to a melee mod.

Melee weapon Changes - Sword & Shield

The classic tank off-hand, the shield is the symbol of protection. We currently have four sword and shield style weapons in the game, each with their own unique passives; they are the following:

• Ack & Brunt - Absorbs incoming elemental damage, storing up to 4 charges that empower the next attack (each charge provides a stacking +17.5% damage bonus).
  • Cobra & Crane - Aerial attacks throw the shield, causing enemies to stagger, granting guaranteed melee finishers on staggered enemies. When used by Baruuk, the first attack in a combo will additionally cause the target to be put to sleep for 2 seconds.
  • Sigma & Octantis - Aerial attacks throw the shield, causing enemies to stagger, granting guaranteed melee finishers on staggered enemies. 
  • Silva & Aegis / Prime - Gains up to 4 charges on successful blocks (each charge provides a stacking +15% bonus to both critical chance and status chance).

As the natural choice for tanks, they provide greater blocking chances than the majority of other melee weapons in the game. Furthermore, the Ack & Brunt has an augment mod that can be used to protect your allies. Electromagnetic Shielding (at max rank) will link to allies within 12 meters and redirect 50% of the damage they take to you. This mod can be utilized quite effectively when attempting to protect frames with lower defensive-capabilities, however, it suffers mostly from short range. My suggestion would be to increase the range from 12 meters to 25 meters at max rank, while maintaining the concept of being within line-of-sight with the target; increasing the range will allow for the mechanic to be a little more forgiving.

I believe that this mod should also be changed from an augment for the Ack & Brunt to an augment for ALL Sword & Shield styled weapons. 

TLDR;

• Increase range of "Taunt" from Guardian Derision from 15 meters to 25 meters, and allow further range scaling from mods such as Reach / Primed Reach (will require line of sight).
  • Add "Taunt" mechanic to Rhino's Roar ability. 
  • Add more sources of "Taunt" to the game - including, but not limited to, Companion mods. 
  • Change Reflection from a 'Warframe' Mod to a 'Melee - Channeling' Mod.
  • Change Reflex Guard from a 'Warframe' Mod to a 'Melee' Mod.
  • Increase range of linked allies while using Electromagnetic Shielding from 12 meters at max rank to 25 meters at max rank (will require line of sight).
  • Change Electromagnetic Shielding to be an augment for ALL 'Sword & Shield'-style weapons, not just the Ack & Brunt.
Edited by TehGrief
  • Like 1