Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Feedback on the new Relic screen UI

-vnn

1 hour ago, Cuchullin said:

I can't find how much relic refinement I have on hand from the on either screen

Because they moved it up top right corner with your currencies (Plat, Credits).

I've noticed the amount while in mission don't actually update to reflect what you've earned so far in mission.

On 2019-05-23 at 12:24 PM, NinetyNineTails said:

Suggestion for the new relic UI: REVERT IMMEDIATELY

A million times this. WHY do they insist on "fixing" things that are not broken...... and then breaking it in the process!!!

Literally the only thing the UI lacked was ducat indicators and that even isnt that necessary. The only thing it needed back was the old old version of showing previous rewards you chose in endless.

Looking at standing in Poe or Fortune tells me literally nothing now. Trying to figure out what rank I'm in and how many ranks to go is confusing. Old UI on standing was far better is every way again because I could tell at a glance and the only thing it lacked was telling me how much standing I had left for the day and they really could have easily just added that on to old ui.

• Like 3

As so many others have said, the new relic screen is BAAAD.

1. The default screen looks too FLAT. "gold brown" on "brown" = hard to read.

2. Showing all the relic types on the same screen is bad.

3. The tabs to select which type of relic you want to select is tiny compared to before. *Why is it necessary to make everything so damn small?

4. When you filter, and want to refine, the filter RESETS after refining - Why?!? Are you kidding me? At least give us an option to refine multiple relics at once if you're going to do this.

5. Why is there not a toggle to hid the relics you do not have?

6. Traces count is much more hidden than before.

7. As with the reward selection screen, the possible rewards rarity indicators are too thin and hard to see for people who don't know where to look (which, judging by comments, seems to be many)

8. Item labels are all gold now. Why change this from the bronze, silver, gold default we had before? Further obfuscates rarity of rewards. Not "at a glance" friendly at all!

9. if you really wanted to improve the screen you would provide a screen that shows how to obtain the relics.

Edited by MrLeeNO

It's not only the relic screen - Every single time DE tries to make new UI they make it thousand times worse.
Apparently, they HATE color. Every inventory-like screen is desaturated mush now. Colored texts that helped to immediately distinguish rarity are gone, image of the part is desaturated. You have to hower over everything to know anything... I am too annoyed to write everything down again, because these are the same problems the previous UI overhauls had. You didn't learned anything.

DE - NEVER TOUCH THE FOUNDRY UI.

• Like 1

Agreed with most of the people here.

The relic screen needs to show the parts by default and not empty screen, so that I can mouseover the parts and see the quantity owned if necessary.

The reward selection need to put back your own name in the pool and show quantities owned right away.

On the plus side, we can now search all the relics for specific parts instead of having to cycle through all eras, and the void trace bonus for other people choosing your relic is now decent (5 per person, was 1?)

16 hours ago, Spam661 said:

A million times this. WHY do they insist on "fixing" things that are not broken...... and then breaking it in the process!!!

Literally the only thing the UI lacked was ducat indicators and that even isnt that necessary. The only thing it needed back was the old old version of showing previous rewards you chose in endless.

Looking at standing in Poe or Fortune tells me literally nothing now. Trying to figure out what rank I'm in and how many ranks to go is confusing. Old UI on standing was far better is every way again because I could tell at a glance and the only thing it lacked was telling me how much standing I had left for the day and they really could have easily just added that on to old ui.

A million times THIS. The syndicate UI is horrible. Sure, it's nice to fast travel but what you're saying about being able to tell at a glance how many ranks to go is what I've been ranting about too and what irks me. 

I just think that redesigning these UIs is a slippery slope sometimes. Some changes like the extra trade or fast travel to syndicates were welcomed but other like the inventory where it doesn't tell  you the name of the item till you hover over or the god damn relic reward UI are absolutely horrible and NOT NEEDED. Ducat info is also not essential since all items pretty much have the same value throughout rarity tiers. DE, please revert to the old UI and stop messing up things where they were fine before.

After the last update it is inconvenient to distinguish rare rewards from ordinary ones, it would be nice to make it wider. It used to be convenient when it showed how much and what parts of Prime in your inventory.

Overall, I think we can agree the overall graphic direction is a positive with some implementation problems. There is lots of good feedback provided about a lot of various  and I thought I would throw in my two cents and organize some wonderful feedback that others have posted. This reply mainly deals with relic-reward-selection but does touch some other aspects of the relic UI. Let's first list some design principles (borrowing from The Zen of Python because I'm an engineer an not a graphic designer), some positives and negatives of the new UI, and then I'll pose some possible solutions.

Some Applicable Design Principles

• Beautiful is better than ugly
  • Explicit is better than implicit
  • Simple is better than complex
  • Flat is better than nested
  • Sparse is better than dense
  • Readability counts
  • Practicality beats purity
  • If the implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea
  • If the implementation is easy to explain, it may be a good idea

These seem to cover almost everything that people are talking about in this thread: that DE has has decreased the usability of the UI (e.g. number of clicks, nested menus, hidden information). However, they are trying to adhere to some principles such as making things smaller. I think we can mostly agree on that.

Positives

• Reduced size of relics on the reward-selection-screen (my main issue with the previous Reward UI)
  • Can now view reward values (ducats)
  • UI new displays number of relics, and number of radiant relics
  • Overall graphics are nicer (subjective, but I like where they're trying to go)

Negatives

• Functionality is hidden for the benefit of graphics (hover/nested menus)
  • Difficult to tell rarity
  • Difficult to tell reward selection
  • Slow to check owned quantity
  • Slow to check reward value (ducats)
  • Does not tell vault status
  • Possible rewards are not tiered

So, overall, DE has improved both graphics and expanded features (e.g. ducat values), but they have done so at the expense of functionality, usability, and convenience.

Relic Reward Selection

Several individuals have posted wonderful solutions to address the issues with the reward screens. My favorite has been a light-ribbon to highlight selection by Valetdepik. They also suggested a smoke highlight for rare items, which was beautifully implemented by weirdichigo in which they also addressed the rarity symbol, rarity color, rarity bar, and added an animated sheen to non-common items! Amazing mockup! I was going to suggest a full border around the items of the rarity color, but the vibrancy of color and bar width is plenty and well executed, especially with the added effects. I personally could go without the smoke, but I like the sheen animation.

With borrowing the rarity colors and stars, here is something along the lines of what I would be very interested in seeing:

warframe_relic_UI_feedback.jpeg

(*for demonstration purposes only, elements may not be technically correct)

Pretty much all player feedback and mock-ups are universal with supporting these key points:

1. Display Quantity Owned (without overlay)
  2. Display Item Value (without overlay)
  3. Display Vault Status Icon (optional, with setting to turn off)
  4. Display Mastery (with settings option to turn off)
  5. Make Rarity Colors More Different & Pronounced, and also Item Text
  6. Make Player Selection More Obvious

Mainly the only differences between feedback suggestions is information placement and execution (style). It's consensus that there should not be a hover-overlay for decision dependent information.

Relic Refinement

I don't have too much to discuss here with the acceptation of a couple things.

1. The rarity of possible items within a relic should be in an inverted pyramid and not a rectangle. Teitaka made a wonderful mock-up of this last week. I think most everyone agrees this is better than a rectangle.
  2. Seeing unowned relics should be off by default, with a checkbox to view them. That seems to be the consensus.
  3. When viewing all relics, I would prefer relics be organized by type-rarity instead of alphabetically (it would also make sense for there to be a setting for this).
    I.e. Lith > Meso > Neo > Axi instead of the new Axi > Lith > Meso > Neo

DE, overall I really enjoy the game. A lot of the more recent stuff you've been doing has been really exciting, and I look forward to future improvements for user experience and the interface to increase convenience and usability for all players.

Edited by CardMechanic
Improved clearity.
  • Like 3

I don't know what's wrong with you guys. Why changing the old UI for relic refinement, selection and cracked reward?  It was super clear and you had everything under control.

Now you see a billion of relics all together and you struggle to understand what's the rare drop for that relic. Even at the end of the crack process, when you pick your drop... why putting that tiny useless bar on the drops? It's literally invisible.

It was WAY better before, with THE DROP'S NAME colored brown, silver or goldish...

Why you always change stuff just for the taste of changing, without thinking that maybe you're going to make it worst?

I hate it so much I felt I had to log in and create this post.

• Like 3

Yeah, it's not the best for me either. But i'm still unsure if it's me being used to the old system, or that the new system literally sucks even for new people.
I think its an easy fix though:
Make item names default activated in there, and make the caption change color with rarity (basically bring the old readability into the new system).
Also i'd probably make the "vaulted" icon that shows on tab and show it in a corner of the relic image.

Honestly i don't know who's in charge of UI overall, but whoever it is, that person needs to get a refresher course on UX. There's a ton of stuff that just ruins the User experience by trying to be flashy and over complicate things. Oh, and in many menus, the screen real estate is wasted immensely with the dioramas which are nice to look at (once) but have no actual use. In the mean time, to save real estate for the dioramas, they're making users go through not so obvious menus to get to the information they usually need.
Which is a shame, since the old UI managed to both show off the dioramas and have all information present at a glance.

Edited by ReaverKane

Let's talk about all that's wrong with the new UI design, for market, for relics and for syndicates, not to mention the mission pop ups.
The Market was already known as "not new user-friendly and not intuitive" you already had to navigate through tabs and tabs to find what you wanted and now is even worse as to check the details of weaponry you must hover your cursor over the purchase button. Makes me think if EA designed that
The Void Relic menu has a nice design on the first look, but once you start using it is a jumbled mess. For starters you get all relics of all tiers in the first window + unnecessary clutter of all the vaulted relics you don't own. For what purpose? no clue. Then the tiers for relics are designated with a weird symbol for each, instead of the Lith, Meso, Neo, Axi labels we had before, changed for no good reason. Now to refinement, refining a relic has a fancy UI that makes us click more times than it was before to make relics into the desired refinement stage, what is worse is that once you refine one relic you are sent back to the starter window with all relics of all tiers. And to put a cherry on top of this mess, you can't refine more than one relic of that type at once, you will have to exit the Void Relic menu or refine a different relic because the UI simply won't allow you to. Finally you can't see at first view if a relic is in vaulted status or not unless you hover over it and press Tab.
Before the UI changes, clicking on a linked item would show us right away the characteristics of it, for weapons it would show the stats, for relics it would show all the items contained in them, but now, we have to hover over a box to see their details.
The Syndicate menu, again, looks "appealing" only to deceive us from another poorly designed UI that makes us click more times to access the menus we want and not only more clicks but also on different positions of the screen. The only positive aspect of that UI rework is that you can visit Cephalon Simaris directly for our visits to the Simulacrum
Finally I would argue that the screen pop up on defense missions for continue and abort could be "confusing" for newer players compared to the clear display that had the previous UI.
Extra clicking to navigate menus, hovering cursor for details on questionable placements, the new UI design gives a rather unfriendly, and cluttering experience to the users, new and old.

• Like 6

il y a 2 minutes, Diavoros a dit :

but once you start using it is a jumbled mess

True. 

il y a 2 minutes, Diavoros a dit :

makes us click more times than it was before to make relics into the desired refinement stage

True.

il y a 3 minutes, Diavoros a dit :

what is worse is that once you refine one relic you are sent back to the starter window with all relics of all tiers.

True.

il y a 3 minutes, Diavoros a dit :

Before the UI changes, clicking on a linked item would show us right away the characteristics of it, for weapons it would show the stats, for relics it would show all the items contained in them, but now, we have to hover over a box to see their details.

True.

il y a 4 minutes, Diavoros a dit :

The Syndicate menu, again, looks "appealing" only to deceive us from another poorly designed UI that makes us click more times to access the menus we want and not only more clicks but also on different positions of the screen.

Meh, just gotta get used to it, it would have been nice if they kept the old UI and just added fortuna/Cetus... Also a lot more clicks to  get into a syndicate and buy what it has, i hate it.

The thing is that they "needed" to provide something new right ? Well they thought a UI change would be nice .... if one day you reach the point where you just don't give a f#!% about the game and just play what an update has to offer, trust me, the game would "feel" better. Just don't play that much something you don't like or feel like it's useless. Sorties ? Useless for me~ Syndicates : useless for me, playing : useless for me. What i do ? Log in log out for daily reward. Keeps your mind at peace

Totally agree with all of the above. I’ve been playing on PS4 and just started on the PC and the relic changes were totally confusing. Here’s my feedback, some of it was already stated above:

1. showing you all of the relics instead of just the ones you own - not helpful; too cluttered
  2. I’ve been playing with some friends and when you have a squad and try to start a mission, it’s easy to accidentally start the mission without everyone equipping a relic. This has been a point of major frustration. Not to mention that by default if you’re coming into a mission after someone else has selected it, by default it assumes you don’t want to equip a relic. Makes no sense.
  3. when you complete the mission, it doesn’t seem to show  you what you already have (I’m not 100% certain on this one but I’m pretty sure). Example: I already had an Equinox prime chassis but didn’t remember so I ended up with a 2nd one instead of something else I actually needed. In addition, the other rewards are obscured by a popup (I’ll have to include a screen shot). It’s not a cursor placement issue because it’s happened on all 4 of the relic missions I’ve done.
Edited by HulkSmash1979

12 minutes ago, Ced23Ric said:

Will be improved in the near future.

Next?

Another change that made the game worse, and never will be addressed ever again only on devstreams that it will be looked upon on a later date. A job well worse done.

Next...

2 minutes ago, 40PE said:

Another change that made the game worse, and never will be addressed ever again only on devstreams that it will be looked upon on a later date. A job well worse done.

Next...

Are you gonna thank DE if they do improve the UI? Are you gonna acknowledge that, and post about it, too?

18 minutes ago, Ced23Ric said:

Belongs into feedback.

Has already been posted in feedback.

Has been acknowledged in devstream 128.

Will be improved in the near future.

Next?

I'll give you next. How about DE stops wasting their resources on changes that nobody wants/needs, so they can address vital/broken/abandoned content instead?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MorradiX said:

Yup..they decided to make it "pretty"

It looks like a downgrade to me. These new relic icons and other stuff look... ugly and outdated. I was perfectly fine with the old design. There were few problems but it was good overall.

• Like 2