-vnn

Feedback on the new Relic screen UI

I just wish we had the option of using the old UI instead of being forced to use one that a lot of us clearly don't appreciate.

• Like 1

i hate the new design. 1 million square meters big icons, more clicks then before. It looks like a android desktop. please change back to the old UI.

• Haha 1

You have to hover over everything these days to know anything. Take the latest inventory UI for example. The previous one had all the names of things right there on display, with the latest one you have to hover over things to know what they're called, it also looks boring and monochrome AF. 

Having to hover over relic reward screen to get additional info is risky and frankly, quite dumb since you're wasting precious seconds. Either bring back the old UI or have the item names in the rarity color with the "X amount owned"readily visible. Ducat value is important but not essential since most values are pretty standard across rarity tiers. If you reaaaaaallly must have it, have it in small text or just a number. Again, we've been junk farming for ages without it (you see uncommon, you're gonna go for it duh).

Also, the poster above is correct in saying it sometimes bugs out and does not let you select a relic, happened a few times to me already. 

DE, just pls for the love of Clem, revert back or take our suggestions into account. You had a good thing going on but in your efforts to be cool, you've broken a lot of the good old stuff.

• Upvote 2

Like i've said in an another topic (about new reward choice UI at the end of a fissure) :

"I agree , we are in a limited time for choose our reward , and hover above every item for see if we already own them for choose is a downgrade."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CardMechanic said:

However, they are trying to adhere to some principles such as making things smaller. I think we can mostly agree on that.

Don't agree - small buttons are awful to use and small icons are in direct opposition to rule beautiful is better than ugly. 

Buttons are now too small and spread out all over the screen forcing users to hunt them with mouse effectively slowing down any navigation through menus. For example see the new item categories being pushed to far corner while any other active buttons are on the opposite side of the screen. And menu for choosing number of items is another prime example of having too man too small buttons with a horrible way it handles writing the number of items (adding any written number AFTER the default 1, instead of replacing it).

Since all item miniatures are small and grey, they look absolutely awful and some weapons are completely indistinguishable from one another, pretty much negating any meaning of the icon. That together with text being off by default and being small and relatively hard to read (and overlapping the icon) makes any inventory screen in new UI absolute chore to use. I want to put my fist through monitor every time I am forced to use inventory menu.

18 hours ago, CardMechanic said:

Mainly the only differences between feedback suggestions is information placement and execution (style). It's consensus that there should not be a hover-overlay for decision dependent information.

UI is all about information placement and execution, it's like 90% of the design. Changing this would either make the most of UI style incoherent across different menus or would prompt another complete remake of the UI, probably ending somewhere near the old UI.

Regarding the relic reward menu - they are still foolishly chasing united design across all the menus no matter how bad it would be in the end. They just showed that if applied to screen with specific functionality it doesn't work at all, but they are still forcing it in. They didn't roll it out fro all menus, because this style just doesn't work for most of them. There is still Foundry, Arsenal and Mod screens. Why isn't there at least a mockup of these screens in new UI style? Can you even imagine how absolutely awful they will look and work when all the new UI design rules are applied to these screens? It will prompt mass player exodus because you wouldn't be able to do anything in these menus.

DE had very well designed item system with rectangular slots that fit both weapons and mods perfectly with really well made preview for mods. They threw all this to trash and replaced it with something that looks like graphical artist's first attempt at UI. The lack of somebody experienced in UX is staggering.

• Upvote 1

The new UI seems to have been designed by someone who doesn't read. But instead looks at picture books. It's pretty and useless...

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ced23Ric said:

Are you gonna thank DE if they do improve the UI? Are you gonna acknowledge that, and post about it, too?

Speakin for myself, I'll thank 'em and buy platinum if I see the UI improved to a) stop hiding information in general, b) restore usability to the Relic screen and Relic Reward selection, and c) stop wasting space on giant pictures of space cabbage or pictures of my own warframe sitting down.

If you want to come back to this as a test of my promise: 

a) Number owned, labels, and values in multiple game currencies on everything in inventory. Labels ON by default.

b) "Owned Only" button for relic screen. Don't show me a giant cabbage and its drop locations. Just list them in that space. Don't clear filters if I set them. Place rarity markers beneath items, and use corresponding font colors (bronze, silver, gold) for their names. On relic rewards, show all player names; no corner flagging. Place rarity mark below item, and display its name in the corresponding color, and tint the item background to indicate rarity as well. Show #owned right there on the item. Remove all mouseovers.

c) Don't take half the screen with a blowup of a relic, or a picture of my warframe kneeling (syndicate screens, IIRC - I haven't gone back to them since my first look). That's a massive waste of space that could just have more information in it.

Edited by Ham_Grenabe

Not really. This dissatisfaction I felt the first day because I was not understanding where things were. After setting I find the UI well done, small details that were ignored that I call the penuts. The game is not made of penuts but of a general context. I am at this time, and personally very pleased with the changes.

I assume at full functionality it's just a matter of time to players get use to use it. opinions? yes a matter of opinion as I see.

ps: and look I've seen tons of changes in the warframe in the last 5 years. 

Posted (edited)
vor 2 Stunden schrieb Mr.SpookSpook:

Yepp, new UI may look somewhat fancier, but goddamn it is horrible UX..

That sums it up nicely. It looks great on a screenshot but it does a poor job of showing where to click next, how to get back and where to focus. Having everything in WW2 shooter colors is also not helpful. It feels like the old sci-fi UI was thrown into the mud and returned into Warframe.

Spotting rarities of relics is almost impossible because the images of the drops are quite large whereas the rarity is just a sliver of a line. And the bronze looks more like red which makes it harder to look aways. 

One thing that two players asked me over the past days was the stay in mission or leave mission images on endless mission. They thought the image with orbiter means starting a space mission. I mean put a large "Leave" on the left side and a large "Stay" on the right side would be enough. 

Edited by k05h

It's ok to try to improve the UI in a way and make it more fancy, but it's not ok to leave out essential information.

So at least keep the same level of information on screen as the old UI, without having to hover over items.

1 hour ago, AlirezaDeadshot said:

agreed, the new UI sucks.

is there a way that i can switch back to the old one?

Nope

Posted (edited)

The last changes on the UI for warframe have been awesome, but the ones that came with the jovian concord really feel like a UI downgrade and is VERY unintuitive, at least to my eyes let's take this as an exemple :

unknown.pngunknown.png

at first glance how do you  know what are the rarities, oh yeah the little icon that's above and takes 5% of the screen, what about their drop chance, well that's unexpected, the rarity bar is what also shows the dropchance...

i can't explain why honestly , but this really feels like a terrible design decision, to have all item names not being displayed with their color rarity, maybe it's a question of getting used to it, still doesn't look or feel right to me...

Second, when you click an item on the chat:

unknown.png

Let's say someone says he wants to buy this stance, how do we know if we have any in our inventory, i KNEW, i had one at this time but really ? instead of just clicking the item you have to go into your inventory or memorize how much of them you have ? by this point ill loose the guy's name in the chat ...

Also, is it really necessary to make this UI take the whole screen only to show such a small image ? can't we have like a simple and transparent window like before ?

it makes sense for bigger items such as syandanas or cosmetics, but a stance or a prime part ...

Lastly, the relic reward screen, this is by far my biggest dissapointement ...

unknown.png

This screen is a TERRIBLE design choice in my opinion, not only you have the bad rarity icon above, but you also cannot see yourself, which person ulocked what,  and how many do you own of it.

I liked to have all prime parts that existed in my inventory , but now i can't even know how much of each i have when i opened a relic ? i know i am supposed to know what i want when i open a relic, but how hard are those feature to add ? there were there before right ? why were there removed ? in the first place...

In the end what bugs me the most about this update is that they removed the  "X owned" tag almost everywhere.

Edited by TEK-5
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

This thread is a repost of this thread which i posted in the wrong section:

The last changes on the UI for warframe have been awesome, but the ones that came with the jovian concord really feel like a UI downgrade and is VERY unintuitive, at least to my eyes let's take this as an example :

unknown.pngunknown.png

at first glance how do you  know what are the rarities, oh yeah the little icon that's above and takes 5% of the screen, what about their drop chance, well that's unexpected, the rarity bar is what also shows the dropchance...

i can't explain why honestly , but this really feels like a terrible design decision, to have all item names not being displayed with their color rarity, maybe it's a question of getting used to it, still doesn't look or feel right to me...

Second, when you click an item on the chat:

unknown.png

Let's say someone says he wants to buy this stance, how do we know if we have any in our inventory, i KNEW, i had one at this time but really ? instead of just clicking the item you have to go into your inventory or memorize how much of them you have ? by this point ill loose the guy's name in the chat ...

Note: after checking it seems like the UI shows the owned ones only if you have more than one of the said item.

Also, is it really necessary to make this UI take the whole screen only to show such a small image ? can't we have like a simple and transparent window like before ?

it makes sense for bigger items such as syandanas or cosmetics, but a stance or a prime part ...

Lastly, the relic reward screen, this is by far my biggest disappointment ...

unknown.png

This screen is a TERRIBLE design choice in my opinion, not only you have the bad rarity icon above, but you also cannot see yourself, which person unlocked what,  and how many do you own of it.

I liked to have all prime parts that existed in my inventory , but now i can't even know how much of each i have when i opened a relic ? i know i am supposed to know what i want when i open a relic, but how hard are those feature to add ? there were there before right ? why were there removed ? in the first place... did no one compare the usability of the new UI vs the old UI ?

in the end what bugs me the most about this update is that they removed the  "X owned" tag almost everywhere.

Edited by TEK-5
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 6

Posted (edited)

For the relic reward screen; You can hover over the item to know how many you have. Which is a solution to a problem that shouldn't have been there in the first place. Bring back the label to the main screen. Why is DE obsessed with obfuscating information?

Edited by MrLeeNO

''But it looks ni-''
No

Old UI did it's job. It wasn't fancy, it didn't need to be.
New UI looks pretty (for some people's tastes, not mine)...and that's about it.

I would also like the changes reverted.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, TEK-5 said:

5%? more like 5 px. And oh shlt I never realized that was the drop chance. Then again I haven't done a lot of relics since it came out but still.

38 minutes ago, TEK-5 said:

This screen is a TERRIBLE design choice in my opinion, not only you have the bad rarity icon above,

to be honest, I only picked the right parts because I know them at this point. I had no idea what I picked until I say the corner icon move at first. It took 2-3 more round before I realized the bar changed color for rarity. 

UI should be intuitive. If I have to question WTF I am looking at it is a bad design. Yes you have to worry about clutter but the old UI at a lot of strengths that got dropped with this one. The only thing I am 100% happy to see if the upgrading relic process and in mission upgrades. That should have been in years ago. (ducat price is welcome too even though it is hidden)

Posted (edited)

Yeah, the new UI is harder to understand, harder to navigate and the placement of some things makes no sense. For example the Syndicate menu where everythign is crammed together to the left and the right side is just our warframe. Why not just have the UI in the middle and have our frame on one side and the Syndicate NPC on the other? Or why not just keep the old UI, add the QoL stuff players keep asking (icons for vaulted relics for example) and add more themes for better customization.

Oh and please go and replicate something from the dojo if you haven't done that after the update... Idk who thought the new UI changes for that were a good idea.

P.S. I use the wiki to look up the relics and write down the item rarity on a piece of paper because I have no clue what I'm supposed to be looking at on the relic UI 😄

Edited by Leyvonne

Unfortunately i have to agree.

Yes, it looks cool... But it lost some practicality. First of all: i now have to manually check the prime part to find out how many i have alreaady to make a choice which one i pick.
The colors of rarity are harder to understand too, takes me a bonus second.

Make the icons larger by about 50%, make  the colored part larger as well,  and reintroduce amount of parts in collection back.
Seriously, its a small thing, but  its annoying after what we had.

Also the syndicate screen we dont need to look at our warframe like seriously if we did we just go in foundary, the warframe just sitting there has no purpose and has to be replaced with something else or have the syndicate menu be extended and more centered on the screen

• Upvote 1

I mean, I don't know if you read feedbacks on the itnernet, but there are hundreds of people complaining about the new UI. The old one was clean, comprehensive, it was just PERFECT, noone was asking for an improvement if there wasen't a bug or something. The new one is maybe more detailed, but that's not a good thing. When the previous was satisfying, the new one is destroying my eyes because there's no damn contrast. I think that everyone prefers the old one: if you add a simple question in-game, asking if people like the new UI or not, you will see that NOONE LIKES THE NEW UI, it just sucks . We want the old one back. Donnow if you read feedbacks, probably not, or else you wouldn't add that crap to the game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MayThePorgBeWithYou said:

if you add a simple question in-game, asking if people like the new UI or not, you will see that NOONE LIKES THE NEW UI, it just sucks . We want the old one back. Donnow if you read feedbacks, probably not, or else you wouldn't add that crap to the game.

I disagree with that, I'd say the majority would be neutral, then followed by the people that like it (me for one) then, the people that dislike it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PoisonHD said:

I disagree with that, I'd say the majority would be neutral, then followed by the people that like it (me for one) then, the people that dislike it.

New UI is terrible in pretty much every place it has been implemented. It obfuscates information and favors form over function.

• Applause 1
  • Upvote 3