Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Feedback on the new Relic screen UI

-vnn

I like how it looks, but I wish they'd stop taking functionality away or making things take longer just for the heck of it. Simple is always better, I wish DE would understand that (when it comes to everything, not just UI).

i didn't mind as much the syndicate screen honestly, but it's true that the design of it is equally bad and also unintuitive,  we indeed have no reason to have the syndicate and the UI tucked on the side while having 50% of our screen taken by  NPC's talking .

il y a 26 minutes, PoisonHD a dit :

I disagree with that, I'd say the majority would be neutral, then followed by the people that like it (me for one) then, the people that dislike it.

The problem is not that it looks good or bad, it's that it takes looks over functionality, with that new UI there is a lot of information hidden for no reason, while it was there before

i'd good to want to do a refresh of the old UI , but it's not good to make it less practical and functional and call it an update.

43 minutes ago, MayThePorgBeWithYou said:

feedbacks

Why do you keep adding an "s" to feedback? You need to take a breath before posting. Did you miss click and spend all your plat or something and need to rage write this post?

As for the topic yes, the visuals need a lot of help. When they showed this on the dev stream they focused on the new functions like upgrading relics and seeing all syndicates in the terminal. Then skipped over the visuals as a "look how pretty it is?" They clearly missed the mark of updating to the new theme styles. Instead they decided to redo the UI from scratch which was not needed.

Syndicate is probably the only one that gave ergonomic improvements, I guess people will grow on it. All else is absurdly bad. If I am in a foundry, I dont WANT to lose sight of several pieces of information based on my mouse position. Same goes for the arsenal, just worse.

I have used that UI generation for several years now, and I still dislike it to the bone. I remember how easy and fast you were able to take out some actions, now it is just a pretty time waster that adds nothing, and in some cases flashy effects were chosen over ergonomic design and that just drives me up the walls.

However, thats just how design is done these days. It has to look good in a power point presentation meeting with an audience that looks at it once and finds it intreaguing, whereas the player base just doesnt ASK for things that complicate their gameplay and make it harder to understand or notice things.

We live in an age where knowledge is available AND purposefully ignored. There are easily available studies on how to do ergonomics correctly, and we still go for boss-pleasing. If we did that in engineering as well, all machinery of the planet would explode. But in anything digital, descisions seem to be made and confirmed by people that fail to grasp the bigger picture. Like how ugly and intrusive UI influences the smoothness of non-gameplay periods of time. We dont WANT to have to go through a buttload of menues to get through to what we want to do. We dont WANT to walk in our orbiter instead of accessing an efficient streamlined menu like we had in the past.

We steer our warframe through the orbiter because we have such a clunky mess of an interface that doing anything now just takes ages to do, and somebody said we should have something "entertaining" to look at while we spend too much time clicking interfaces.

Do you think walking to baro is a fun experience? DO YOU? He might as well be a popup in the market and it would serve the same functionality. But clunky design is always more intreaguing, right?
Wrong

Edited by random__noob

The worst part is that it's not even better form. It's flat, nothing stands out. When I look at the relic refinement screen I feel like I'm looking at static. 

Also the Relic reward selection screen, please bring back the ability to see who unlocked which relic item beyond the initial default selection. Makes it much easier to return the favour if someone selects your forma blueprint over their own.

• Like 1

Ok, being objective, I can point that:

Being able to upgrade a relic inside the mission is a positive change and howvering the part to show its ducat value is also a positive change, however, everything else became a puzzle.

But DE should bring back some of the old features like...

- showing your name below the part you chose, not the just the triangle thing

- Prime Part Name's associated with the right color of rarity, I started to enjoy the top bar with the star to see its rarity, but the bar is too small and the colors of everything are too dark to really tell, the name color and brighter queues should be implemented.

- the new hovering stuff for more details of a prime part is neat, but you didn't needed to hide previous information we got like how many of that part you have.

- The old discrimination screen for the parts you can from the relic was better and more intuitive

- The new syndicate functions are sweet, but plz, bring the old bars of reputation back. We had a better visual queue with the old bars, just bring the bars back. We don't really need to see our warframe  in half of the screen, I think that side should have some better functions like being the interaction screen for the syndicate that you selected ( the screen that you select if you want to rank up or get your rewards, bot the rewad screen) the old progress bar was a really important visual feature we should definitely have back.

- the new extraction screen for endless got one really wrong, it doesn't show the rewards as easily as before, we need improvements for the new screen, must be a personal complain, but i find if too freaking dark and noisy, but not showing the name of the item you got is an objective downgrade

• Like 1

13 hours ago, __suko said:

the new extraction screen for endless got one really wrong, it doesn't show the rewards as easily as before, we need improvements for the new screen, must be a personal complain, but i find if too freaking dark and noisy, but not showing the name of the item you got is an objective downgrade

Do you have item labels turned on? For some reason DE decided to put them behind a toggle that defaults to off when basically everything in the game shares it's icon with something else.

On 2019-05-29 at 6:31 PM, TEK-5 said:

Second, when you click an item on the chat:

unknown.png

This part of UI has 3 major problems, cards are way too small, you can't see how many you own at the first glance. And It doesn't show the correct information if I own the mod or not. It showed 0 and I had 20+. : (

On 2019-05-28 at 12:54 PM, CardMechanic said:

Overall, I think we can agree the overall graphic direction is a positive with some implementation problems. There is lots of good feedback provided about a lot of various  and I thought I would throw in my two cents and organize some wonderful feedback that others have posted. This reply mainly deals with relic-reward-selection but does touch some other aspects of the relic UI. Let's first list some design principles (borrowing from The Zen of Python because I'm an engineer an not a graphic designer), some positives and negatives of the new UI, and then I'll pose some possible solutions.

Some Applicable Design Principles

• Beautiful is better than ugly
  • Explicit is better than implicit
  • Simple is better than complex
  • Flat is better than nested
  • Sparse is better than dense
  • Readability counts
  • Practicality beats purity
  • If the implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea
  • If the implementation is easy to explain, it may be a good idea

These seem to cover almost everything that people are talking about in this thread: that DE has has decreased the usability of the UI (e.g. number of clicks, nested menus, hidden information). However, they are trying to adhere to some principles such as making things smaller. I think we can mostly agree on that.

Positives

• Reduced size of relics on the reward-selection-screen (my main issue with the previous Reward UI)
  • Can now view reward values (ducats)
  • UI new displays number of relics, and number of radiant relics
  • Overall graphics are nicer (subjective, but I like where they're trying to go)

Negatives

• Functionality is hidden for the benefit of graphics (hover/nested menus)
  • Difficult to tell rarity
  • Difficult to tell reward selection
  • Slow to check owned quantity
  • Slow to check reward value (ducats)
  • Does not tell vault status
  • Possible rewards are not tiered

So, overall, DE has improved both graphics and expanded features (e.g. ducat values), but they have done so at the expense of functionality, usability, and convenience.

Relic Reward Selection

Several individuals have posted wonderful solutions to address the issues with the reward screens. My favorite has been a light-ribbon to highlight selection by Valetdepik. They also suggested a smoke highlight for rare items, which was beautifully implemented by weirdichigo in which they also addressed the rarity symbol, rarity color, rarity bar, and added an animated sheen to non-common items! Amazing mockup! I was going to suggest a full border around the items of the rarity color, but the vibrancy of color and bar width is plenty and well executed, especially with the added effects. I personally could go without the smoke, but I like the sheen animation.

With borrowing the rarity colors and stars, here is something along the lines of what I would be very interested in seeing:

warframe_relic_UI_feedback.jpeg

(*for demonstration purposes only, elements may not be technically correct)

Pretty much all player feedback and mock-ups are universal with supporting these key points:

1. Display Quantity Owned (without overlay)
  2. Display Item Value (without overlay)
  3. Display Vault Status Icon (optional, with setting to turn off)
  4. Display Mastery (with settings option to turn off)
  5. Make Rarity Colors More Different & Pronounced, and also Item Text
  6. Make Player Selection More Obvious

Mainly the only differences between feedback suggestions is information placement and execution (style). It's consensus that there should not be a hover-overlay for decision dependent information.

Relic Refinement

I don't have too much to discuss here with the acceptation of a couple things.

1. The rarity of possible items within a relic should be in an inverted pyramid and not a rectangle. Teitaka made a wonderful mock-up of this last week. I think most everyone agrees this is better than a rectangle.
  2. Seeing unowned relics should be off by default, with a checkbox to view them. That seems to be the consensus.
  3. When viewing all relics, I would prefer relics be organized by type-rarity instead of alphabetically (it would also make sense for there to be a setting for this).
    I.e. Lith > Meso > Neo > Axi instead of the new Axi > Lith > Meso > Neo

DE, overall I really enjoy the game. A lot of the more recent stuff you've been doing has been really exciting, and I look forward to future improvements for user experience and the interface to increase convenience and usability for all players.

I would say overall graphic direction is a big fat negative so far but otherwise this is perfect design you have.

Also bring back item names on inventory items!

18 hours ago, __suko said:

Ok, being objective, I can point that:

Being able to upgrade a relic inside the mission is a positive change and howvering the part to show its ducat value is also a positive change, however, everything else became a puzzle.

But DE should bring back some of the old features like...

- showing your name below the part you chose, not the just the triangle thing

- Prime Part Name's associated with the right color of rarity, I started to enjoy the top bar with the star to see its rarity, but the bar is too small and the colors of everything are too dark to really tell, the name color and brighter queues should be implemented.

- the new hovering stuff for more details of a prime part is neat, but you didn't needed to hide previous information we got like how many of that part you have.

- The old discrimination screen for the parts you can from the relic was better and more intuitive

- The new syndicate functions are sweet, but plz, bring the old bars of reputation back. We had a better visual queue with the old bars, just bring the bars back. We don't really need to see our warframe  in half of the screen, I think that side should have some better functions like being the interaction screen for the syndicate that you selected ( the screen that you select if you want to rank up or get your rewards, bot the rewad screen) the old progress bar was a really important visual feature we should definitely have back.

- the new extraction screen for endless got one really wrong, it doesn't show the rewards as easily as before, we need improvements for the new screen, must be a personal complain, but i find if too freaking dark and noisy, but not showing the name of the item you got is an objective downgrade

I 200% agree!!

Can we get a UI showing us the corresponding set of a prime parts/bp reward when we hover our cursor on it during? So it could tell us if we got the parts/bp for that specific set. I think that would help us to pick rewards when there's like 2-3 good choices.

Edited by Tomric

I really hate the new relic interface. The old seems better to in every imaginable way.

I can not tell within the time allowed during selection the rarity of an item. Please recolor the name of the item in its rare color. Or give me an interface option to revert the UI to its previous iteration.

I do like the ability to upgrade a relic on the fly.  But not at the cost of the streamlined sleek interface with quickly and easily read colors for the rarity.

On 2019-05-29 at 7:43 AM, Ced23Ric said:

Are you gonna thank DE if they do improve the UI? Are you gonna acknowledge that, and post about it, too?

I would love to be pleasantly surprised, by DE with UI Improvements that are actually improves the UI, yes. 🙂

I've wrote a lot of bug reports in the past, some got ignored, few got fixed.

I just don't understand why people can't acknowledge that they are multitasking to a level within their job that is actually counter productive, and they don't want to say they can't handle it.

All they need is a project coordinator, and THAT is the position most of the companies / staff despise and won't happen at D.E. either. Because that guy got control, he gives out the orders and commands, yet he/she isn't their boss, manager, and not even in their actual team member. But this is exactly what is missing 99% of the time in today's technological companies /exceptions are big production companies on engineering field they can't afford errors.

Just watch carefully when Rebecca goes through the questions on devstream and point out some flaws that are in the game for a while, they acknowledged an issue in the paste but not fixed, etc... and they 99% of the time just kind of disregarding the answer, apologies or mumble something or give you a marketing answer. Rebbeca does try, bless her heart, but don't think they take her as a "project manager" or "coordinator", however this would be helpful.

The drawing board with the goals in devstreams is the least they could do. Wish you would see such table at some companies I worked/work for. Such drawing board is full with tiny text, with targets, numbers, charts, etc. I doubt such detail would bore the community during the devstream. 😉

My dream for like 20 years now that gaming industry evolves to a level where they actually start working like proper IT companies, just imagine how awesome it would be if there would be MINIMAL bugs, proper test phases and almost no project deadline oversteps. Gamer's dream would come true! 🙂

Le 28/05/2019 à 20:54, CardMechanic a dit :

Overall, I think we can agree the overall graphic direction is a positive with some implementation problems. There is lots of good feedback provided about a lot of various  and I thought I would throw in my two cents and organize some wonderful feedback that others have posted. This reply mainly deals with relic-reward-selection but does touch some other aspects of the relic UI. Let's first list some design principles (borrowing from The Zen of Python because I'm an engineer an not a graphic designer), some positives and negatives of the new UI, and then I'll pose some possible solutions.

Some Applicable Design Principles

• Beautiful is better than ugly
  • Explicit is better than implicit
  • Simple is better than complex
  • Flat is better than nested
  • Sparse is better than dense
  • Readability counts
  • Practicality beats purity
  • If the implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea
  • If the implementation is easy to explain, it may be a good idea

These seem to cover almost everything that people are talking about in this thread: that DE has has decreased the usability of the UI (e.g. number of clicks, nested menus, hidden information). However, they are trying to adhere to some principles such as making things smaller. I think we can mostly agree on that.

Positives

• Reduced size of relics on the reward-selection-screen (my main issue with the previous Reward UI)
  • Can now view reward values (ducats)
  • UI new displays number of relics, and number of radiant relics
  • Overall graphics are nicer (subjective, but I like where they're trying to go)

Negatives

• Functionality is hidden for the benefit of graphics (hover/nested menus)
  • Difficult to tell rarity
  • Difficult to tell reward selection
  • Slow to check owned quantity
  • Slow to check reward value (ducats)
  • Does not tell vault status
  • Possible rewards are not tiered

So, overall, DE has improved both graphics and expanded features (e.g. ducat values), but they have done so at the expense of functionality, usability, and convenience.

Relic Reward Selection

Several individuals have posted wonderful solutions to address the issues with the reward screens. My favorite has been a light-ribbon to highlight selection by Valetdepik. They also suggested a smoke highlight for rare items, which was beautifully implemented by weirdichigo in which they also addressed the rarity symbol, rarity color, rarity bar, and added an animated sheen to non-common items! Amazing mockup! I was going to suggest a full border around the items of the rarity color, but the vibrancy of color and bar width is plenty and well executed, especially with the added effects. I personally could go without the smoke, but I like the sheen animation.

With borrowing the rarity colors and stars, here is something along the lines of what I would be very interested in seeing:

warframe_relic_UI_feedback.jpeg

(*for demonstration purposes only, elements may not be technically correct)

Pretty much all player feedback and mock-ups are universal with supporting these key points:

1. Display Quantity Owned (without overlay)
  2. Display Item Value (without overlay)
  3. Display Vault Status Icon (optional, with setting to turn off)
  4. Display Mastery (with settings option to turn off)
  5. Make Rarity Colors More Different & Pronounced, and also Item Text
  6. Make Player Selection More Obvious

Mainly the only differences between feedback suggestions is information placement and execution (style). It's consensus that there should not be a hover-overlay for decision dependent information.

Relic Refinement

I don't have too much to discuss here with the acceptation of a couple things.

1. The rarity of possible items within a relic should be in an inverted pyramid and not a rectangle. Teitaka made a wonderful mock-up of this last week. I think most everyone agrees this is better than a rectangle.
  2. Seeing unowned relics should be off by default, with a checkbox to view them. That seems to be the consensus.
  3. When viewing all relics, I would prefer relics be organized by type-rarity instead of alphabetically (it would also make sense for there to be a setting for this).
    I.e. Lith > Meso > Neo > Axi instead of the new Axi > Lith > Meso > Neo

DE, overall I really enjoy the game. A lot of the more recent stuff you've been doing has been really exciting, and I look forward to future improvements for user experience and the interface to increase convenience and usability for all players.

holy molly, this ui concept is awsome ! i hope it could be like that !

1. Relic reward screen takes the prize for the worst "improvement" 

2. Relic select isn't too perfect either - no need to see the relics you don't own...do we really need a discussion on that 🤔

3.Syndicate UI is terrible - the horizontal scroll is confusing and not needed - being able to see all the tiers at a glance was much much more helpful. Fast travel is one of the only useful improvements.

4. Inventory UI isn't good either - monochrome, dull, everything looks the same, lack of labels.

5. UI is smaller - ***** really? Why is that a thing? Is this a UI for ants?

I think if we had to sum up the changes and the flaws of the new UIs it would be something like  "Nothing is known at a glance, important info is missing, things look boring AF and you have to hover over everything to know ANYTHING"  

DE, you have been given lots and LOTS of feedback on the new UI and some people have even given you possible design suggestions that are brilliant. Please fix your stuff up ASAP. Thanks

😒

Edited by Irina93

I really have been enjoying the UI changes as they have been coming out, but I have noted a few annoyances I wish to share.

My gripe about reward selection can also go for Arcanes, that being, having both owned and unowned Relics and Arcanes shown when selecting something. Now this is great for if you want to know what Relic to be looking for if your hunting a certain piece, but other wise its just a bit of clutter that can be fixed with a simple "Hide Not Owned" button

As far as the Reward selection screen. Yes, there is information there, but now you have to hover over each reward to find out basic information, like how many of an item you have and how much an item is worth in ducats (which is a much appreciated bit of information we didn't have before). Perhaps having these numbers either on the reward icon itself or right above is my suggestion. While we are at it, maybe give the items back a colored boarder to reflect what tier and item is? That little line and tiny symbol above the reward is hardly noticeable at first. Another random idea I wouldnt mind seeing is in the hover tooltip, If an item is apart of a set, information comes up showing what other items you have that is apart of the same set.

Anywho thats all the griping I have on the UI, thanks for the hardwork you guys put out!

The new UI on relics, like all UI updates of the last year, contains straightforward downgrades of functionality over dubious aesthetic improvements.

• relic refinement:
    • once a relic is refined the menu resets the selection, so if i want to refine a second one i have to click my way again through the list
    • owned and non owned just creates a mess in the relic list
  •  reward selection:
    • the rarity indicator is awfully unclear, 3 little strips of bronze/argent/gold color not easily distinguishable
    • the mouse cursor paints in gold color the name of the whatever selected reward, confusing even more as if it was a rare reward
    • missing the name of who obtained what, it's impossible to distinguish who donated void traces to whom. And you even increased this amount as if it was something important!
    • i cannot see anymore how many of those reward i already have without moving the cursor on each single reward. What's the sense of this? Before i could see that directly
  • relic link in chat:
    • i click a relic name linked in chat to see the possible rewards and...again with this STUPID trend of masking information behind the need of moving the cursor over the selected relic, despite having half of the screen completely empty. Before it was a simple ready information. This was the same problem introduced with the sacrifice quest UI "improvemet", on the in mission ESC menu > top-right list of team members.

jirWBOo.jpg

Is the UI responsible team doing this to deliberately annoy us or they really don't play the game they them self develop? 

• Like 1

On 2019-05-31 at 11:03 PM, DebrisFlow said:

The new UI on relics, like all UI updates of the last year, contains straightforward downgrades of functionality over dubious aesthetic improvements.

• relic refinement:
    • once a relic is refined the menu resets the selection, so if i want to refine a second one i have to click my way again through the list
    • owned and non owned just creates a mess in the relic list
  •  reward selection:
    • the rarity indicator is awfully unclear, 3 little strips of bronze/argent/gold color not easily distinguishable
    • the mouse cursor paints in gold color the name of the whatever selected reward, confusing even more as if it was a rare reward
    • missing the name of who obtained what, it's impossible to distinguish who donated void traces to whom. And you even increased this amount as if it was something important!
    • i cannot see anymore how many of those reward i already have without moving the cursor on each single reward. What's the sense of this? Before i could see that directly
  • relic link in chat:
    • i click a relic name linked in chat to see the possible rewards and...again with this STUPID trend of masking information behind the need of moving the cursor over the selected relic, despite having half of the screen completely empty. Before it was a simple ready information. This was the same problem introduced with the sacrifice quest UI "improvemet", on the in mission ESC menu > top-right list of team members.

jirWBOo.jpg

Is the UI responsible team doing this to deliberately annoy us or they really don't play the game they them self develop? 

This is the only reason I came to this topic to post something on. This is dumb. If I click on the item in chat, I want to see ALL info about it on one screen, not some fancy S#&$ relic image and then go and hoover/click again and again. Same as upgrading relics. Why the hell relic choices and relic upgrades are at the end of opposite screen ends? Make it comfortable, not shiny... And upgrading relics mid-mission is once again useless if you can't use Void Traces you got during the same mission. Unless you are a new player once again, and then once again content for newbies just to look shiny. And yes - everything regarding all those relic UI is clunky as if it is made for consoles. I really hate the feeling of using those screens.

And i want an option not to see all relics I DO NOT  HAVE. That list is annoying clutter.

Edited by InvictaVultis
  • Like 1

1. Needs a proper filter so you only see relics you own if that’s what you want to see

2. Please add something that says if a relic is vaulted. 

3. At the end of a fissure make it more obvious what rarity an item is, and who put up the relic.

Thanks ☺️